• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Also is there a reason why Capcom's stopped showing so much bts stuff from their games. RE5 and 4 had really extensive making of materials. Like I get it costs money and stuff but Capcom pls.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Also is there a reason why Capcom's stopped showing so much bts stuff from their games. RE5 and 4 had really extensive making of materials. Like I get it costs money and stuff but Capcom pls.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I recall pre-release, seeing a lot more of "how it was made" from REVII--they had like a thirty-minute video showcasing their photogrammetry process for the RE Engine (IE: Why characters look so damn good ), much moreso than RE4 or RE5 (where there were gameplay videos, but I don't recall dev diary type stuff). Heh, DMC5 had raw footage of the mocap/pre visualization sections as a bonus. Yeah, after they came out, there was BTS stuff, but that was a while later, IIRC.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
PC modding is gonna make this game something alright.
It's already happening.
How about Verjill Valentine?

35-1585316560-572135762.jpeg

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I know they already modded in Thomas the Tank!Nemesis. I kinda wish for a Kool-Aid Man Nemesis, personally. The Flatland mod was amusing. Also, there's a replace every monster with Nemesis; make Nemesis tiny, make Nemesis bigger mods (I'm seriously impressed at how many mods the demo got). And of course, there's already a nude mode, because of course there's one.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Just watched it, don't know if I really saw that many spoilers but I suppose the very last shot in the trailer after the "Resident Evil 3" title comes up could be considered a spoiler. Either way, looks awesome.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Capcom if you are trying to figure out how to make a GaaS RE, hit me up for my hastily scribbled down and not fully formed design doc on an open world Raccoon City game that has elements of Tarkov and The Division layered in to the RE formula, thank you.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
There are no spiders in this game The Bookerman. Don´t expect any in Resistance either but who knows, maybe one day. Also missing:
Brain Sucker, Crow, Sliding Worm and the Grave Digger boss (+ the heli "boss")
Look up the leaks tread if you want to know more and you can still get poisoned in the game. Enemies not in the original were included too. It´s a wash then.
REmake 2 still has spiderwebs in the sewers so who even knows what is happening here. They were cover material back on the PSX. Maybe next-gen.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
There are no spiders in this game The Bookerman. Don´t expect any in Resistance either but who knows, maybe one day. Also missing:
Look up the leaks tread if you want to know more and you can still get poisoned in the game. Enemies not in the original were included too. It´s a wash then.
REmake 2 still has spiderwebs in the sewers so who even knows what is happening here. They were cover material back on the PSX. Maybe next-gen.
Well that sucks, the devs need to get over this whole spiders wouldn't look realistic thing when it's a game about the undead and monsters.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Just googled "young Milla Jovovich" to see if i remembered her correctly, and yes

234998aee5b2a88519d0a0ce575004ec.jpg

VRU_176059_ella_es_sasha_zotova_la_modelo_que_pone_cara_a_jill_en_resident_evil_3_remake.jpg

I can't tell the difference (Second pic is Jill's actress and obviously Jill in game model)

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds even worse than RE2. Sigh.

Seriously no
giant worm boss?! For real? Was really looking forward to that being remade.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
REmake 3 has the best-directed cutscenes Capcom ever pulled off. I would even put them above RE4 and 5 as there are some rather smart framing and staging decisions here. The ones in 4 and 5 were about as good as you could get off course when they released. They even broke new ground a few years later...

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is incredibly how "Big" this game looks in comparison to RE2
In terms of story, characters, the game looks like 10 hrs long xd

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I was convinced that the last RE game with actual spiders (RE7 is cheating) was Outbreak unless you want to bring in UC/DC but we did have another example since then now that I looked at wiki. Rev 2 gave us:
latest

It even got 8 legs. Who do we need to contact to fix this?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I recall pre-release, seeing a lot more of "how it was made" from REVII--they had like a thirty-minute video showcasing their photogrammetry process for the RE Engine (IE: Why characters look so damn good ), much moreso than RE4 or RE5 (where there were gameplay videos, but I don't recall dev diary type stuff). Heh, DMC5 had raw footage of the mocap/pre visualization sections as a bonus. Yeah, after they came out, there was BTS stuff, but that was a while later, IIRC.
I mean they were advertising the RE Engine moreso than the overall concept for the game iirc. RE5 had a pretty extensive documentary that was even narrated in appropriately dramatic fashion.

RE Engine is the best engine ever created
Let's not get crazy.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What would you say is better?
Probably something that's 3rd party and made to be used by people other than the studio that made it. Remember that an engine is not just a renderer, it's a set of tools that allow artists and programmers to make games. The RE games look like this because Capcom has incredibly talented artists and programmers who're using a good toolset that suits their needs, (along with plenty of asset re-use at this point). Compare that to something like UE4 which has so many uses that it's even used in the movie industry at this point. Flexibility is key, not just the end result. Like, would it be a smooth ride if they say, attempted to create the systemic AI system of Monster Hunter?

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I recall pre-release, seeing a lot more of "how it was made" from REVII--they had like a thirty-minute video showcasing their photogrammetry process for the RE Engine (IE: Why characters look so damn good ),
Yeah people thought RE7 would feature zombies because of some of the RE2 make up tests that they snuck in there.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah people thought RE7 would feature zombies because of some of the RE2 make up tests that they snuck in there.
I mean, those tests weren't for shits and giggles. They actually did experiment with zombies in RE7 but decided on the molded. Here's the description of the cut zombie enemy in RE7:

Executive producer Jun Takeuchi said in the video one of the game's zombie prototypes would have reacted to human breathing. It order for the player to make their way around it, they would have had to hold their breath using a controller button.

A breath gauge would pop up showing the player how much breath they had left. Once the player ran out of breath and had to take one, if the zombie heard them, they'd grab the player and the fight would be on.

This prototype was cut due to testers tensing up and holding their own breath during these segments.

"It was a great idea on paper but we ditched that because we thought doing that for 15 hours would give people hypoxia."

Frankly. I find it out that the devs haven't included a FP mode in the last two remakes when all the right pieces are there.

Like unlike a lot of games, even RE7. RE2 and 3 don't feel like shit when you switch the perspective.And the environments are scaled well enough that nothing really looks off in first person. Except for Nemesis and Mr. X who become much scarier.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably something that's 3rd party and made to be used by people other than the studio that made it. Remember that an engine is not just a renderer, it's a set of tools that allow artists and programmers to make games. The RE games look like this because Capcom has incredibly talented artists and programmers who're using a good toolset that suits their needs, (along with plenty of asset re-use at this point). Compare that to something like UE4 which has so many uses that it's even used in the movie industry at this point. Flexibility is key, not just the end result. Like, would it be a smooth ride if they say, attempted to create the systemic AI system of Monster Hunter?

Dunno, but it can handle the frantic craziness of DMC5 plenty fine and that shouldn't be scoffed at.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Dusk Golem Do you know if RE2 and RE3 were written by anglophones? Because the English script in both really doesn't feel like a translation; it feels 100% natural in a way that makes me think it was written by native English speakers.
I can shed some light on this. They hired Brent Friedman, who has previously worked on things like Clone Wars, as a "script adaptation" writer. I think they write in JP first, but then he rewrites it all based on a translation to make it natural in english, and I think that's what they then record, but I'm not sure what the exact process is.

In his own words, he wrote "All dialogue" for RE2 Remake and he's also working on RE3.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I was convinced that the last RE game with actual spiders (RE7 is cheating) was Outbreak unless you want to bring in UC/DC but we did have another example since then now that I looked at wiki. Rev 2 gave us:
latest

It even got 8 legs. Who do we need to contact to fix this?

If REVII's cheating, so is Rev2. First, whip spiders aren't actual spiders.

Second, they're environmental hazards, like the occasional box crate snake in RE4. They're maybe tarantula sized, and can bite if you get close, but are otherwise harmless (I think in Raid Mode you might "fight" one that's buffed to resist tons of lead while also buffing nearby enemies). So if the REVII spiders don't count, I don't think these do..

Post CVX, some of the Plagas and the big dumb elevator crab in RE5 were spider-ish (if canon didn't say it was a crab, I'd feel alright calling it a spider). Some RE6 J'avo will mutate into a goofy spider-centaur mode.

Last edited:

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have felt that way about Capcom's output since Resident Evil 7. Or at least in the case of Resident Evil 2 Remake in particular, I could have been fooled into thinking that it was a Western-developed title. The writing feels smart, organic, and cleverly modernized.
Yea for real. Just listen to the cutscenes acting in this and then FF7 Remake. It's world's apart.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Yeah I thought about it afterward but didn't want to edit my post. She looks like a fusion of Milla Jovovich and Natalie Portman

IqdGpEr.png
Shots like this highlight how weirdly large the scanned heads appear on some bodies. Or maybe, I think it's because the lighting on the left side of her head creates a sharp almost 3D effect against the neck making itlook like it's superimposed or something. I know it doesn't look like that in motion though. It's just some of the promotional material the head looks like it's on a separate plane for some reason. Strange.