• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I hope that the gameplay is balanced so that despite Jill being adept at dealing with the threat at hand, it always feels like a little too much. Ready, but vulnerable enough to make a compelling horror game.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I think the game will be expanded enough. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the size of RE2's A and B scenarios put together.
As long as there are a lot of of unlocks I will be replaying this a lot anyway like all good REs.
First playthrough is going to take me a good while looking over all the details like posters for hours.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if re3 will be as speed run friendly as re2 remake. That game was made with speed running in mind. Had a big community around it.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
RE3 has always been a really short game. I expect the remake to be longer and Resistance to be boring after a few rounds. No Mercenaries was a huge blow to this imo.... At best I'll probably get the Platinum if it's that short and enjoy going through in hopefully different outfits.
Even if the remake is 6 hours I'd say it's still longer than the original.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As long as the campaign is solid, I won't miss the Danger/Live Selection mechanic. Honestly I'd have rather had REmake2 have two unique campaigns rather than the odd remix and remixed again options. Not that it made REmake 2 bad going that route and the development gave them little choice I imagine, but it certainly felt less satisfying playing the other character and scenarios.

It doesn't kill you straight away, Famitsu & Eurogamer reported you go onto a state of 'parasite' (like poisoned) with Jill moving slower, and a 'veins' effect appearing on the screen. You need to use a green herb to cure it. (Jill vomits it all up lol). It's only if you don't have a herb that eventually it kills you. Maybe it'll be like the Raskaplanje things in 6? That was chest burster-esque
Oh yeah, I'm aware of the actual effect. But it would be annoying if they could tank your resources on top of being fast and having an ability like that.

It actually reminds me of the Chestburster mechanic in PSX's Alien Resurrection, though with using any herb here it's far more forgivable than needing a very specific item that isn't common.

Last edited:

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I wonder if the reception of RE2make and RE3make will ultimately end up mirroring the reception of the original games.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the reception of RE2make and RE3make will ultimately end up mirroring the reception of the original games.
How so? I feel like we won't get the "RE2 expansion" takes this go around since the R.P.D. hasn't been given much of a focus in the marketing outside of one or two screenshots. RE has also had far more bombastic action titles since then, so the dodge, assist mode, and more relentless pace here will seem very tame and a rather natural evolution of what was in REmake2.

On the flip side, the stuff like ammo crafting, pursuer A.I., and upgrades won't be as lauded since there's certainly a been-there-done-that over multiple titles, including REmake2.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
With the city opened up, there's less of a reason for a Carlos campaign, unless it's an unlock able scenario that takes place before running into Jill.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
jtzi1kye4hj41.jpg

From the EDGE article. Goddamnit.
Dusk Golem what do you make of this ?

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
RE4 holds up pretty darn well and still mostly feels like a modern game. It would be a daunting task to remake that game, let alone for it to be received positively.

I do want it though.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you need to refresh your memory about the live action choices,like 90% of them are trivial at best if you are worried about multiple paths/branching story and whatnot,original game still follow the same path regardless of your choices.
Same with the mutiple endings thing,it's basically the same cutscene with a small difference.
I bet they'll kill nicholai,let's be honest the guy is irrelevant and being dead or alive doesn't change a thing,it's been like 20 years and he never came back.
And Barry saves Jill and Carlos,that's it.
People really need stop falsely downplaying the effect some of these choices had in original RE3 to try and justify the removal in the remake.

Trying to justify the removal is fine, just don't do it by misrepresenting the original.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
People really need stop falsely downplaying the effect some of these choices had in original RE3 to try and justify the removal in the remake.

Trying to justify the removal is fine, just don't do it by misrepresenting the original.

Funny,because it looks like some users try to play it up too,make a issue out of something that isn't that big of a deal.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I'm still hella pissed to this day about the lack of a proper A/B scenario, which I have no idea how the ball was dropped on that. The game seems like another breeze like RE2 Remake, which I'm mixed on.
Because the game had dev problems and rebooted development halfway through, so there wasn't enough time to properly implement it. In fact, they weren't gonna have 2nd Run at all until they decided to put it in within the last six months of development.

Funny,because it looks like some users try to play it up too,make a issue out of something that isn't that big of a deal.

I just replayed RE3 for my retrospective series I'm doing and I can say that Live Selection... is not a huge deal. But it's cool. And also, more importantly, I imagine choices are still in REmake 3, just not Live Selection. For example, instead of a big flashing screen telling you to either push Nemesis off a ledge or electrocute him, you might see a sparking wire near a pool of water, or a plug next to a floodlight and think "Hey, I have an idea..."

Like the garage fight in RE7, which Capcom similarly didn't bring attention to because they wanted each player to do it their own way. I told my friend how crazy that boss was because he was driving around like a maniac, and my friend was like "What are you talking about? You didn't get in the car and run him over?"

I imagine REmake 3 will have more of that in place of the actual negative-screen Live Selection.

(Sidenote: If anyone's interested in my retrospectives, you can read the first two here!)

Survival of Horror: Resident Evil (1996)

Survival of Horror: Resident Evil 2 (1998)

Last edited:

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
How so? I feel like we won't get the "RE2 expansion" takes this go around since the R.P.D. hasn't been given much of a focus in the marketing outside of one or two screenshots. RE has also had far more bombastic action titles since then, so the dodge, assist mode, and more relentless pace here will seem very tame and a rather natural evolution of what was in REmake2.

On the flip side, the stuff like ammo crafting, pursuer A.I., and upgrades won't be as lauded since there's certainly a been-there-done-that over multiple titles, including REmake2.

I'm in the camp that thinks Code Veronica is more of an "RE3" than the actual numbered RE3. Not saying CV is a better game, but it directly continues the plot of RE2 and keeps up the dual protagonists thing. It also retains the "central location" mansion setup for the most part.

RE3 is a great entry, but it's not RE2: 2. I could see a new RE2make fan being disappointed by RE3make if they go in expecting a similar setup to that game. Capcom turning Mr. X into slow Nemesis might also take away some of the wow factor.

I'm curious to see if Capcom has made a lot of changes or not. The streetscape setting lends itself well to random expansion.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Because the game had dev problems and rebooted development halfway through, so there wasn't enough time to properly implement it. In fact, they weren't gonna have 2nd Run at all until they decided to put it in within the last six months of development.

I just replayed RE3 for my retrospective series I'm doing and I can say that Live Selection... is not a huge deal. But it's cool. And also, more importantly, I imagine choices are still in REmake 3, just not Live Selection. For example, instead of a big flashing screen telling you to either push Nemesis off a ledge or electrocute him, you might see a sparking wire near a pool of water, or a plug next to a floodlight and think "Hey, I have an idea..."

Like the garage fight in RE7, which Capcom similarly didn't bring attention to because they wanted each player to do it their own way. I told my friend how crazy that boss was because he was driving around like a maniac, and my friend was like "What are you talking about? You didn't get in the car and run him over?"

I imagine REmake 3 will have more of that in place of the actual negative-screen Live Selection.

See,this is what i'm talking about.
Most of those choices are gameplay decisions that you,as a player,do all the time.
Look at the first nemesis encounter,you can fight or run away,i don't need a text box to tell me that.In fact, even if you choose to fight you still can run away.
Or the restaurant encounter,throw a lamp to a gas leak or hide..i can do this by myself,aim at the gas leak and shoot when nemesis is close or run to the ladder and hide.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Given the setting, a Code Veronica remake would be a lot less ambitious than this RE3R remake, especially if the city is now opened up. I think RE0 could benefit more from a remake. More story beats can be reworked and an open Raccoon Forrest sounds like it has lots of potential. I never liked the setting in CV. It felt too sterile.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The lack of Mercenaries truly blows. I mean, that's just stupid. Resistance seems like filler material to me. Why every game needs some sort of GAAS feature? Gives me headaches.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I don't know why did RE7 took you so long, it's a 6 hours game at most. Resident Evil as always been a series with short games.
And Project RE isn't a way to "mitigate" RE3 length. Hell, I don't see why you would ever think REmake 3 would be long when the original is quite short.
4, 5, 6, and both revelations games were a minimum of 10 hours. 6, especially, is nearly 25 hours and isnt just rehashing the exact same area over and over.

It's not too much to ask for atleast 12 hours average.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
4, 5, 6, and both revelations games were a minimum of 10 hours. 6, especially, is nearly 25 hours and isnt just rehashing the exact same area over and over.

It's not too much to ask for atleast 12 hours average.

Classic RE benefits from the shorter play times, they're highly replayable. A lot of rewards are tied to speedy runs. It's harder to maintain a satisfying gameplay loop in the classic style for 10+ hours, that's why most people are down on CVX.

RE6 is a painfully average game drowning in poor design and very much repeats the same padding tropes throughout each campaign. It doesn't earn that length and it makes it much less appealing for a replay.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Classic RE benefits from the shorter play times, they're highly replayable. A lot of rewards are tied to speedy runs.

RE6 is a painfully average game drowning in poor design and very much repeats the same padding tropes throughout each campaign. It doesn't earn that length and it makes it much less appealing for a replay.
Re6 has more varied locations than any past RE. It more than justifies it's length, especially when each campaign feels completely different. Leon/Helena are the typical "horror" playthrough, Chris/Piers are the military action power fantasy, Sherry/Jake is the experimental campaign with the Nemesis knock off Ustanak. Theres a few stages shared because of the 4 player online match up stuff, but those arent every stage. College, City, Church, Underground Lab, China, Undersea Lab, Russian ruins, Russian caves, blizzarding snow field, large boat, etc.

And the gameplay itself is subjective, but regardless of taste it's nowhere near bad. It works, it does what it wants to do exceptionally well.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Given the setting, a Code Veronica remake would be a lot less ambitious than this RE3R remake, especially if the city is now opened up. I think RE0 could benefit more from a remake. More story beats can be reworked and an open Raccoon Forrest sounds like it has lots of potential. I never liked the setting in CV. It felt too sterile.

I think it was more of a hardware issue than an inherent setting issue. Devs back in 1999 just couldn't get very detailed realtime environments out of the Dreamcast. The dynamic lighting in the HD release goes a long way to adding more atmosphere.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Say what you want about RE6, which is the most polarizing game in the series, it's length was great and most of all felt complete as it was packed with original content.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Re6 has more varied locations than any past RE. It more than justifies it's length, especially when each campaign feels completely different. Leon/Helena are the typical "horror" playthrough, Chris/Piers are the military action power fantasy, Sherry/Jake is the experimental campaign with the Nemesis knock off Ustanak. Theres a few stages shared because of the 4 player online match up stuff, but those arent every stage. College, City, Church, Underground Lab, China, Undersea Lab, Russian ruins, Russian caves, blizzarding snow field, large boat, etc.

And the gameplay itself is subjective, but regardless of taste it's nowhere near bad. It works, it does what it wants to do exceptionally well.
Plus a large variety of enemy types. RE6 is great. The culmination of the promise shown since 1. Bioweapons unleashed upon the world.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

The title screen for RE3 was edited a bit to use upscaling software to show, but that is the RE3 title screen (there's an edit watermark on it, but it is official.)

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
"RE3 is too short" is the new "RE3 looks worse than RE2 graphically"