• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I was hoping i could get 4k out of this. 1080 produces some weird ass shimmering and mesh like textures on Jill's face that i dont get with 4K. Ah well GPU upgrade is needed then.
Did you use SMAA? I had that issue using it first but I switched to TAA and it fixed it.

Should also note, my performance estimates seemed a bit off. I get anywhere from 150-200 FPS everywhere with textures set to High (8GB) running at 1080p.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Enemies reacting to your attacks, limbs, damage etc...

Having replayed RE2R recently, it's a rather jarring change.
Isn't that just the handgun in RE3? There's a big variety in stagger values between handguns in RE2, some have really low stagger values while others guarantee stagger if you hit certain parts.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is this, Capcom?
  • Dolby Atmos/Binaural audio options missing/removed.
  • Same broken mouse aiming as Resident Evil 2:

• Film Noise is missing/removed, so there is posterization (banding) everywhere in the shadows:
re3-poster-swjm5.png
Screenshot brightened for clarity.​
Here is an example of the difference that option makes in RE2 (also brightened):​
film-noise-9qkh3.gif
This is a regression back to Resident Evil 7's terrible image quality.​

- No FOV slider, unless i'm blind. The FOV with the shotgun is really bad.
There's one in the camera settings, but the game still zooms in a stupid amount when you try to aim.
I wish games had the option to stop zooming at all when aiming. No zoom unless you're using a scope. And then make sure only the scope is zoomed, not the entire view.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Enemies reacting to your attacks, limbs, damage etc...

Having replayed RE2R recently, it's a rather jarring change.

I could find the sweet spot fast enough for RE7 and RE2R and I am still struggling on 3.

If you mean things like cutting limbs off, I think it would make the knife OP sense it can't be broken. You seem to be able to get crit shots that blow off limbs though.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Nemesis was almost entirely scripted in the OG game and had set points. Mr.X was just an addition, another enemy in RE2. Nemesis is the main focus in 3 and the story pretty much revolves around him so hes gonna feel more cinematic.

I asked this above - but you seem to know your stuff. So does Nemesis follow you or just appears at certain locations? And are you supposed to fight him or run?

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
1. He follows you everywhere, right? But he kind of teleports, then you get away from him - does he actually follow you, or just appears?
2. Is there a downtime - like, do you have a few minutes in between or what? With X, I had a vague idea, like, if I lead him to one part of the precint and run to the next, I can estimate how much time I have. He was tough, but fair - Nemesis seems a bit unpredictable.
3. I notice there's more ammo around, and Jill is more like a fighter. Am I supposed to shoot zombies more often, or conserve ammo RE2 style?
4. In RE2, I never actually fought X, I just ran from him. What is the tactic here? Do I shoot Nemesis or run? Or both? I mean, if there is more ammo, maybe it would be less stressful for me, because, as I said - I didn't find him that hard. It's more the fact that I'm trying to conserve ammo (I had plenty of left at the end of the demo and never ran out).
5. Final question - do we expect there will be an Assisted mode, like in RE2? Because I may play this way on my first run.

1. He follows you pretty much everywhere, with the exception of puzzle rooms and save rooms. I didn't get to lose him, so I don't know if he walks around looking for you or just falls from the sky.

2. You can down him with much less firepower than Mr. X (at least in this demo). He does get back up again tho.

3. Yeah, you aren't supposed to go guns blazing, but you will have to spend more ammo. There are explosive barrels and such scattered around in the city as well.

4. If the original game is anything to go by, you can run, but if you down him, he drops special items (and disappears for a while).

5. There's an assist mode in the demo, so its inclusion in the full game is pretty much a lock.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
It seemed to run pretty well on my 2070 Super but is anyone getting weirdness when vsync is turned on? It doesn't seem smooth, it is sort of swimmingly if that makes sense, even though I am getting a consistent framerate. I turned it off and it felt way better. I only have a 60hz display so I usually turn it on just to eliminate tearing, but I haven't had an issue with other games.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the demo. Played it very slowly, explored every nook and cranny (and still only found 5 dolls, lol). Took me about 50 minutes. Nemesis wasn't really a threat, but that was my fault. I immediately downed him with one grenade, ran to the fire place and that was it. Gotta do another run and play a bit cat and mouse with him. I also should try to get down the timing for perfect dodges against regular zombies. It's a bit more difficult that I thought.

Last edited:

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
1. He follows you pretty much everywhere, with the exception of puzzle rooms and save rooms. I didn't get to lose him, so I don't know if he walks around looking for you or just falls from the sky.

2. You can down him with much less firepower than Mr. X (at least in this demo). He does get back up again tho.

3. Yeah, you aren't supposed to go guns blazing, but you will have to spend more ammo. There are explosive barrels and such scattered around in the city as well.

4. If the original game is anything to go by, you can run, but if you down him, he drops special items (and disappears for a while).

5. There's an assist mode in the demo, so its inclusion in the full game is pretty much a lock.

Thank you. There is an assist mode in the demo? Didn't notice it. I just chose Story and played from beginning to end. Died once, it was mostly my fault.

Phew. I am not sure. This will raise my stress levels :) But, I think I'll have to give the game a shot. It's just that great. Still, I kinda wish I had time to plan and play at my pace.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Finished it and thought it was ok. I really loved RE2R so maybe my expectations were a tad high, though. Looked good but I agree with those that say RE2R looked better, this seemed blurry and less detailed (I'm on PS4 base). Gameplay is pretty much identical except for the dodge.

Is the knife useless now? I see people above have used it but it was terrible for me. The stab it does in RE3 instead of the slice made it so I couldn't remove downed zombies legs like in RE2R, a clutch maneuver to conserve ammo.

Any good tips for dodging? I felt like I was nailing the timing but I'd always get blasted. I'm trying to time it as the blow would land and it doesn't seem to work. Maybe I need to do it a little earlier? Maybe I'll try this:
This is true, Nemesis punches are very telegraphed. You see his windup, thats the cue when you dodge. Tentacles slightly different and longer wait.

For zombies, its when they are going to lunge and put their hands out. I haven't 100% those yet while I could dodge Nemesis nearly 100% of the time during my third or so retry.

But dat feeling when you evade 2 zombies in a row in a tight corridor. I did it after grabbing the shells in that dead end part with the barrel.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Had Nemesis cheese me hard on my second playthrough. I was running from him, fired a shotgun shell at his dome and then he disappeared. When I turned around, he leapt out of the sky and slammed me.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Gore seems to be roughly the same in the PC demo.
Heads explode, arms and legs come off, at least with guns.
Knifing zombies on the floor didnt seem to do a lot though.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
5.1 sound instead of dolby atmos is absolutely devastating to me!

I've pre ordered this game and I'm really not happy with having to less than half of my speakers doing nothing when I'm playing this.

I used 5.1 sound in the late 90's over twenty years ago not nowadays.

Ewwwwwwe

Oct 29, 2017
Ah yes the ultimate bioweapon - grabs you and lets you go. My favourite clip is the scene in the other gameplay footage where he grabs Jill by the head and then throws her away. Instead of you know, crushing her skull and killing her instantly.

It's the trouble with having a supposed "real threats" in videogames because if they were real threats you'd never beat the game. Reminds me of my idea of a realistic WW1 videogame where you just climb out the trench and get hit by a sniper round, and then gives you a game over, and you can't retry.
If you are in caution he throws you to the ground and stomps your head.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
5.1 sound instead of dolby atmos is absolutely devastating to me!

I've pre ordered this game and I'm really not happy with having to less than half of my speakers doing nothing when I'm playing this.

I used 5.1 sound in the late 90's over twenty years ago not nowadays.

Ewwwwwwe

What are some showcase games for Atmos?

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Thank you. There is an assist mode in the demo? Didn't notice it. I just chose Story and played from beginning to end. Died once, it was mostly my fault.

Yeah, sorry for not being clear, but I don't think you can choose it right away: after you get your first game over, you can press square (or X if you're playing on Xbox) to change difficulty.

If you get killed ~3 times, the game gives you a pop up suggesting to change to assisted.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Yeah, sorry for not being clear, but I don't think you can choose it right away: after you get your first game over, you can press square (or X if you're playing on Xbox) to change difficulty.

If you get killed ~3 times, the game gives you a pop up suggesting to change to assisted.

Thanks again!

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
- Encountered a couple of bugs, one with Nemesis stuck in the middle of a door and then teleporting away and the other was a zombie ramming a door but never opening it, thus making unable to open said door.

Actually, if it's where I think it is, that's not a bug. That's intentional. If that door could be opened from that side after grabbing the hose, you could bypass nemesis activation cutscene and devs really don't wnat that. So they made it so a zombie jammed the door, as an excuse to funnel you.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
What are some showcase games for Atmos?

Gears of war 5 is good, forza horizon 4 is excellent and for free you have call of duty modern warfare warzone.

I used a sound meter on call of duty to make sure I was hitting 65dB as it recommends it for studio reference quality.

And hearing the tyrant in resident evil 2 remake walking around trying to find you in the rcp is excellent!

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, if it's where I think it is, that's not a bug. That's intentional. If that door could be opened from that side after grabbing the hose, you could bypass nemesis activation cutscene and devs really don't wnat that. So they made it so a zombie jammed the door, as an excuse to funnel you.
Yeah noticed that on a second playthrough.

Most likely because after grabbing the fire hose if you go up to the room with the safe you can go all the way to the ladder shortcut in front of the alley in flames.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Gears of war 5 is good, forza horizon 4 is excellent and for free you have call of duty modern warfare warzone.

I used a sound meter on call of duty to make sure I was hitting 65dB as it recommends it for studio reference quality.

And hearing the tyrant in resident evil 2 remake walking around trying to find you in the rcp is excellent!

Cool stuff, my receiver is Atmos compatible but I don't have the room for the speakers :(

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
So I played for 31 minutes. I can't put my finger on it, but like I thought... I don't think I am going to like this as much as RE2

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Trying it now. Is it just me or does everything sound kind of weak? From the pistol to exploding barrels. I can't quite put my finger on it.

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
Why SMAA on PC looks so bad, there is shimmering almost everywhere
I'm playing at 1400p all maxed out, except usless post-processing things

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Ok, so I finished the demo. I didn't find it hard, but I did find it stressful. I find it hard to think on the run - until Nemesis showed up, I was having a blast, then suddenly, it all changes. I did dodge him easily, I did shoot him easily, one grenade gets him down - it wasn't really hard, but - it was stressful. Same as Mr X, I don't think X killed me once in RE2, and yet, I had nightmares with him after playing (not kidding, I actually dreamed he was chasing me once).

I love RE2. And I just love, love the gameplay of RE3 - it has minor tweaks compared to 2, but they work well and I love the sligthly more action feel. I love Jill. I think this game will be great.... but, that Nemesis, man, I can see it's going to be a problem. So, I have a couple of questions. And yes, I know people haven't played the full game - but I haven't played RE3 and perhaps you know some of these things, or at least have good guesses:

1. He follows you everywhere, right? But he kind of teleports, then you get away from him - does he actually follow you, or just appears?
2. Is there a downtime - like, do you have a few minutes in between or what? With X, I had a vague idea, like, if I lead him to one part of the precint and run to the next, I can estimate how much time I have. He was tough, but fair - Nemesis seems a bit unpredictable.
3. I notice there's more ammo around, and Jill is more like a fighter. Am I supposed to shoot zombies more often, or conserve ammo RE2 style?
4. In RE2, I never actually fought X, I just ran from him. What is the tactic here? Do I shoot Nemesis or run? Or both? I mean, if there is more ammo, maybe it would be less stressful for me, because, as I said - I didn't find him that hard. It's more the fact that I'm trying to conserve ammo (I had plenty of left at the end of the demo and never ran out).
5. Final question - do we expect there will be an Assisted mode, like in RE2? Because I may play this way on my first run.

I am actually torn a bit - I really like everything in the game, but I'm not sure if I want to put myself through all this :)

1. In the original he would follow you through rooms until you hit a point where he was scripted not to. Looks like it will be the same in the remake.

2. Like with 1, there were a lot of points in the game where he wasn't chasing you.

3. I did find find myself shooting the zombies more since there was more handgun ammo around but I would still say it's best to avoid zombies as much as you can. Doesn't feel like it will be as important as it was in RE2 though.

4. You could down him in the original and he would drop upgrades and sprays. It was pretty difficult to do though without cheesing it. I have heard that the remake will do the same, but not sure if it was confirmed yet. In the original, I personally just run away from him most of the time.

5. There is an Assisted mode yeah, you can try it out in the demo by dying once and choosing to switch to that game mode.

Oct 25, 2017
I felt more likely to take down all the zombies here than Re2. Sure it's a demo so could change but nemesis seems way more unpredictable than mr x so I rather the lil guys not be in my way when I have to back track with him chasing lol