• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
for those of you who loved resident evil 2 remake, are you as hyped for this as you were for that? are you more hyped after playing re2? what's the hype level at?

I'm playing RE2 and I like it! It's fun and looks/plays amazing. Just, was never a ginormous fan of Resident Evil.
I'm less hyped than I would have been had RE2 Remake not existed. I liked RE2 Remake a lot as a game on its own merits. But as a remake I found it incredibly disappointing in a number of ways, and it is making me a lot more cautious about RE3. I'm still pretty hyped, but my expectations are a lot lower than they were for RE2.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
for those of you who loved resident evil 2 remake, are you as hyped for this as you were for that? are you more hyped after playing re2? what's the hype level at?

I'm playing RE2 and I like it! It's fun and looks/plays amazing. Just, was never a ginormous fan of Resident Evil.
As someone who liked the original RE3 more than the original RE2, I was more receptive to the idea of making changes to the latter and am mostly satisfied with the way that REmake 2 turned out in the end. With RE3, I feel that there's less room for improvement and am under the impression that REmake 3 may end up worse for how it's adapted.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think I was more hyped for RE2 because there was such a big lead up to the reveal with the rumours and upon reveal it was absolutely mind blowing how amazing it looked. I'm still really hyped for this one but I think the quick reveal to release is throwing me off a bit as I honestly kind of forgot about it pretty quickly like a week after the reveal. Like, I'd rather just get the game in my hands ASAP rather than scour hours of footage like I did with RE2.

FWIW I think this has good chance of being better than RE2 remake which is crazy to me lol. I think OG RE2 is the better game but RE3 does a lot of things that I like so I'm excited to see it be expanded on so much.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I'm more hyped for this one. RE2 remake kind of snuck up on me, wasn't really on my radar. Then I was blown away by it.

I never played RE3 back in the day and Jill is still the best RE protagonist, so I'm very excited.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WTF is this post?! There's ZEROOOOOOOO indication of anything of the sort in the game. Why are people so bitter?
After reading the details of the OPM interview I have no faith they are gonna do RE3 any justice. They cut Mercs, have no alt endings and cut the choice system. The huge replay value of the original just took a huge nosedive, and since they don't care about preserving RE3s strengths it wouldn't surprise me if they ditch others.

I expect

- Barely any real puzzles, just shitty fetch quests disguised as puzzles like R2make mostly had.
- No alternating puzzle answers like original.
- Since they ditching choice system, probably ditching the enemy and item locations changing that came with it.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a huge misconception here, that sadly has spread all over the internet already. The answer was regarding the question about "multiple endings", not the choice system per se.
This seems pretty clear and seperate.

-There will not be the action choice mechanism as in the original, which could give different sequences of the game afterwards or an advantage over a danger.

-There will also be no more endings.

Mr. Rod

Jan 17, 2018
-There will not be the action choice mechanism as in the original, which could give different sequences of the game afterwards or an advantage over a danger.
That's pretty inaccurate. The article does not say that, I've read it. This is the bit I'm talking about, the question is about the different endings:

WPMnkl5.jpg

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how people are deciding the game is already shit based off a bunch of negatives that don't even exist for a game that's three months away

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I love how people are deciding the game is already shit based off a bunch of negatives that don't even exist for a game that's three months away
Not shit, just disappointing like RE2make. They cut a lot of content to either sell later as DLC or just ignore completely. Plus, the stuff they're adding kinda sucks (looking at you, Orphanage). Mercs died for Resistance, which looks like it'll have a niche following if any.

This is worrying for the inevitable RE4 remake. With the amount of cheese in this game, what will Capcom do? In fact, the entire industry seems to take a turn for realism and seriousness, which sucks out the fun for me. Also you'd expect MORE features in a remake, not significantly less. Files, extra modes, costumes, etc. Not sure what's wrong with Capcom on that front.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not shit, just disappointing like RE2make. They cut a lot of content to either sell later as DLC or just ignore completely. Plus, the stuff they're adding kinda sucks (looking at you, Orphanage). Mercs died for Resistance, which looks like it'll have a niche following if any.

This is worrying for the inevitable RE4 remake. With the amount of cheese in this game, what will Capcom do? In fact, the entire industry seems to take a turn for realism and seriousness, which sucks out the fun for me. Also you'd expect MORE features in a remake, not significantly less. Files, extra modes, costumes, etc. Not sure what's wrong with Capcom on that front.
The only thing disappointing is the entitlement coming from a TINY part of the fanbase. Remake 2 is perfect as it is. Get over it.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
The only thing disappointing is the entitlement coming from a TINY part of the fanbase. Remake 2 is perfect as it is. Get over it.

It's just the typical Era echo chamber, don't worry about it.
Remake 2 is both a critical and commercial hit, it completely took over Twitch and Youtube for a few weeks and is the 2019 GOTY of a lot of people.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
LOl, this is why Capcom shouldn't listen to the people screaming "HOW DARE THERE BE SERIOUSNESS IN MY ANIME RESIDENT EVIL!" Action and anime Resident Evil are thankfully going away like the Dinosaurs.
b4Syfsg.png

Why would Capcom stop doing what there doing because there's a few disgruntled fans while the vast major have applauded them? Critical acclaim, commercial success, and fan love.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
To me the first trailer was highlighting that the action choice mechanic is ingrated into the game through the added mobility and bigger map. It won't ask if you want to jump out of a window or fight, but that doesn't mean it's not a choice.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like people think Mercenary from 3 is the same as 4 and later. I mean... no.
I don't think a single person who was expecting or wanting Mercs was thinking of a 1:1 with a new shiny coat of paint. Mercs hasn't been around since 6, which was the best part of that game, so it's understandable that people would want to see the first game with Mercs to bring it back in some form or another.

Remake 2 is both a critical and commercial hit, it completely took over Twitch and Youtube for a few weeks and is the 2019 GOTY of a lot of people.
Being disappointed in how certain aspects were handled isn't the same as saying the game was bad. It's excellent and my personal GOTY, but I'd be daft to think that the way they did the A/B scenarios and things like the orphanage were "perfect".

Edit: Didn't need to go that far. Just GOTY doesn't mean perfect, nor does any disappointment mean the game is terrible.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
This video is why I love Claire in this game.
I can't believe people are actually bothered by Claire swearing a lot when facing fucking zombies and monsters for the first time in her life. Both Leon and Claire cursing up a storm in the remake were some of the best parts of their characterization. Totally believable that people would swear a lot when confronted with such unprecedented horrors.
Some people hated how strong and assertive Claire was after she got passed the initial shock. A youtuber docked points off his review of the game because he was pissed off she was fearless in her encounter with G-4, and engaged the fight with it.

It's bloody sexist nonsense.
That's pure cringe. Claire's fearlessness in an effort to help Sherry is probably the single best thing about her in this game. She's just an all-around awesome character to me, and I never really thought much of her, prior to REmake 2. Now, she's easily my favorite RE character behind Chris. Redfield siblings GOAT.

RE2 was my GOTY 2019, and RE3 is my most anticipated game of 2020. I was ecstatic when I woke up that morning and saw the leaked images of RE3. Game can't release soon enough.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017

I'm more hype since RE2 Remake was my game of the year for 2019. It lived up to everything I ever wanted it to be. Funny enough stuff they took out like the crows, spiders and big moth was things I expected to be cut and was ok with it.

As for RE3 stuff like the choices and random puzzles are things I really didn't care for and felt like fluff to make it feel different from RE2 so I'm ok without them being in if that's the case. Like RE2 I feel like the original games are always going to be around and don't mind seeing the remakes stand on their own. If people don't like it that's cool the original is still around to enjoy.

Deleted member 23068

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Still no news on the Collectors Edition for Australia....I actually don't even know why I'm worried about it as there is probably only a 1% chance that I'd be able to get through and pre-order it. Supposedly the RE2 CE sold out in 30 seconds and it seems like most of them went to EB games employees.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
REmake 2 is easily one of my favorite games of the generation, but we've got to be fair to the old school fans who raise good points and have valid grievances with the remake. Stuff like not bringing back the one moth enemy in the game are dumb complaints, but poor A and B scenario implementation, plus Leon and Claire's minimized interactions are something that actually could have been improved upon. I don't think the game is "perfect", just really good.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people hated how strong and assertive Claire was after she got passed the initial shock. A youtuber docked points off his review of the game because he was pissed off she was fearless in her encounter with G-4, and engaged the fight with it.

I loved that. Leon was tricked into fighting Birkin, but Claire chose to fight him. I thought that was so cool.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland

One can love the game and still be critical about its shortcomings. REmake 2 butchered the whole "two sides of one story" aspect of RE2, where LeonA/ClaireB or ClaireA/LeonB were presented as a whole story, whereas in the remake Leon's and Claire's scenario are two completely different scenarios that don't gel with each other. REmake 3 might be another game that ditches a lot of features that made the original RE3 so unique.

I loved the cursing in RE2, it sounded exactly how I would react if those damn bulletsponge shits kept coming back. I like the one especially at 1:33.

I love Claire's cursing, but sometimes the cursing just seems very random. Like when she aims at a slowly staggering zombie and suddenly yells "bastard!", "you asshole!" out of nowhere.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

I loved that. Leon was tricked into fighting Birkin, but Claire chose to fight him. I thought that was so cool.
It also makes narrative sense. Leon's got no real reason to fight Birkin, as Birkin is just a particularly strong monster that's just an obstacle in his way, but it's something he's forced to deal with rather than him having any reason to. Claire on the other hand knows and cares about Sherry, and at this point she knows what Birkin is and the harm it can bring to Sherry, so she has her reasons for why to fight it and stand her own against it.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017

I never liked RE3, so I was never that hyped for Nemesis. The game wasn't bad, but I never enjoyed a lot of the gameplay designs for that game. While I enjoyed RE2 Remake, the over-the-shoulder change meant that I would never love the game as much as the original. To say nothing regarding the elimination of the A/B scenarios as well. The remake is a good game in itself, but inferior to me compared to the original.

Heading back to RE3, I would have to see Nemesis in action. The elimination of Mercenaries mode was disappointing, and I'm somewhat disappointed that they eliminated the various branches instead of building on them. Probably my biggest complaint of the remakes. They eliminated features from the original instead of building on them.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Claire's cursing, but sometimes the cursing just seems very random. Like when she aims at a slowly staggering zombie and suddenly yells "bastard!", "you asshole!" out of nowhere.

I dunno about you but if I was stuck in the middle of a zombie apocalypse and trying very hard not to be eaten, I'd too say things that'd make sailors blush.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only cutscenes I watch on repeat playthroughs are Clair's birkin fight for the badassery, and Leon's final Tyrant fight, for the music transition and general badassery.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I like the original RE2 significantly more than RE3, and I loved the RE2 remake as well, but I think I'm more hyped for this remake than I was for RE2's. RE3 had a somewhat troubled development cycle back in the day, and I feel like it can benefit a lot more from ironing out its flaws, compared to the still-stellar original RE2.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
REmake 2 could very well be my game of the decade, but this is insanely reductive...

and I'm somewhat disappointed that they eliminated the various branches instead of building on them.
They never said they got rid of branches in the story (a la Live Selection), just that there weren't multiple endings. Those "different" endings, I might remind you, being "Barry is in the helicopter" and "Barry isn't in the helicopter".

If anything, RE7's garage fight gives us a snippet of what Live Selection could look like in RE3. You can do that boss fight in several different ways, which was a welcome surprise. There's no time-stop with selecting choices, you just have to look around a situation yourself and decide how you want to handle it.

Oct 27, 2017
I could understand people finding REmake 2 to be a great game (cause it was) but to say that A and B in REmake 2 is somehow not worse compared to the original is some weird opinion. If people could choose on how it was done I bet most people would go the classic way instead of what we got. Not only that, but some of the missing content would have been welcome.

Who on earth would say no to more content???

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
REmake 2 could very well be my game of the decade, but this is insanely reductive...

They never said they got rid of branches in the story (a la Live Selection), just that there weren't multiple endings. Those "different" endings, I might remind you, being "Barry is in the helicopter" and "Barry isn't in the helicopter".

If anything, RE7's garage fight gives us a snippet of what Live Selection could look like in RE3. You can do that boss fight in several different ways, which was a welcome surprise.

There is a reason why I said I was "somewhat" disappointed with the potential change. It was never a huge aspect for me, but I'm not holding my breath on the feature given how they badly handled the A/B scenario with RE2 Remake. As for the multiple endings, I'm not going to care that much for the reasons you stated. They were largely insignificant, and didn't effect the overall story that much.

I'm also doubtful with RE3 taking pages from RE7, since none of the bosses in RE2 Remake had that kind of organic approach like that game did. Hence, while liking RE2 Remake, it disappointed me a bit.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I enjoyed REmake 2 but find it a little overrated at the same time, AB scenarios are too similar soundtrack isn't as good as others, less scary overall boring story etc. Its good but not something im dying to see more of
More excited about REmake3, potential CV and first person RE8 , 3 mostly because it takes the scariest part of 2 and evolves the gameplay with it

its expensive to create content of this quality with REngine thats why there is less overall, costumes in particular are made through scanning, dmc5 didn't have anything but recolors,its just the way things are, what works for capcom now is focusing on the quality of the presentation than adding hours of extra content, costumes or features thats why i dont think we will see a RE4 REmake anytime soon

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
REmake 2 nailed a lot of stuff (Mostly gameplay mechanics and map design), but it's watered down story and characters while still managing to capture a lot of the original game couldn't help but feel like it was a step down from the PS1 original.

I say that as someone who wasn't really excited when RE2make was revealed and it still wound up being my favorite AAA title of 2019.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I could understand people finding REmake 2 to be a great game (cause it was) but to say that A and B in REmake 2 is somehow not worse compared to the original is some weird opinion. If people could choose on how it was done I bet most people would go the classic way instead of what we got. Not only that, but some of the missing content would have been welcome.

Who on earth would say no to more content???
We're lucky we got all 4 scenarios in Remake2 in the first place, obv not ideal like the originals, but it did add replayability and supposedly wasn't even in the game just a year before release, so while it's less than ideal, it's better than the alternative of not having them at all imo.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Erm, no. There is also Nicholai being killed by Nemesis or not and the chopper battle being possible or not.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Erm, no. There is also Nicholai being killed by Nemesis or not and the chopper battle being possible or not.
Those aren't the ending. Those are story branches. Again, the ending is easy to keep the same regardless of what choices you make in live selection gameplay because the endings are ostensibly the same. It's mainly a matter of if Barry is there or not.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those aren't the ending. Those are story branches. Again, the ending is easy to keep the same regardless of what choices you make in live selection gameplay because the endings are ostensibly the same. It's mainly a matter of if Barry is there or not.
The ending isn't just the final cutscene. The final cutscene is the result of the rest of the ending.