• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

(Click for general game info.)

🖥️ System requirements:
residentevil3sysreqsfhjs7.jpg

🧰 Latest drivers: (as at 24/02/2022)
AMD: 22.2.2
Nvidia: 511.79

📊 Benchmarks:
ComputerBase (German; review build)
GameGPU (Russian; demo build)
GameGPU (Russian; review build)
Guru3D (English; review build)
Hardware Unboxed (English; review build)
KitGuru (English; review build)
Overclock3D (English; review build)
TechPowerUp (English; review build)
Techspot (English; review build)

🎩 Tips and tricks:
Cap the frame rate/potentially improve frame times: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server (if you use MSI Afterburner, then you already have it installed), input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit Enter . Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU can either cap the frame rate at the driver level via the Nvidia Control Panel (requires the 441.87+ drivers) or use Nvidia Inspector to force a vsync internal lower than one-half (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frame times. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower frame rate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Disable vignetting (for DX11 users): Install this mod. (Credit to TheJanitor @ Nexus Mods via JudgmentJay.)
Fix stuttering (for DX11 users): Switch to DX12. (Credit to Pargon.)
Fix dithered hair rendering: Disable depth of field. (Credit to Haze.)
Remove 30fps cap on distant zombie animations: Follow these instructions. (Credit to Mark Campbell @ Overclock3D via Metalingus.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to tag my username (@GrrImAFridge), as this way I'll receive a notification. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

⚙️ Graphics settings:

HDR mode: Off; ???
Brightness: Self-explanatory
Display area: Self-explanatory
Reticle colour: White; Red; Blue; Green
Dot sight: White; Red; Blue; Green
Tutorials: Off/On
HUD: Off/On
Colour space: sRGB/Rec.709

Presets: Recommended; Max; Graphics Priority; Balanced; Performance Priority
Graphics API: DirectX 11/DirectX 12
Display mode: Fullscreen; Borderless window; Windowed
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Rendering mode: Normal/Interlaced
Image quality (internal rendering resolution): 50% -> 200% in increments of 10%

Refresh rate: Self-explanatory
Frame rate: Variable; 60fps; 30fps
Vsync: Off/On
Anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; TAA; FXAA + TAA; SMAA
Texture quality: Low (0GB); Medium (0.25GB); Medium (0.5GB); High (0.25GB); High (0.5GB); High (1GB); High (2GB); High (3GB); High (4GB); High (6GB); High (8GB)
Texture filter quality: Low (Bilinear); Medium (Trilinear); High (Aniso 2x); High (Aniso 4x); High (Aniso 8x); High (Aniso 16x)

Mesh quality: Low; Medium; High; Max
Shadow quality: Min; Low; Medium; High; Max
Shadow cache: Off/On
Screen-space reflections: Off/On
Subsurface scattering: Off/On
Volumetric lighting quality: Off; Low; Medium; High

Particle lighting quality: Low/High
Ambient occlusion: Off; SSAO (set areas only); SSAO; HDAO; HBAO+
Bloom: Off/On
Lens flare: Off/On
Motion blur: Off/On
Depth of field: Off/On
Lens distortion: Off; On (+chromatic aberration); On
FidelityFX CAS + Upscaling: Off/On

Last edited:

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anybody tell me how the performance is compared to Resident Evil 2 Remake (2019)?

I can run RE2:R with all max settings at 4K with acceptable framerates so I was wondering if this would be similar or more taxing.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Only played the demo but it was flawless at 4k/60/Max on my 9900k/2080Ti. Not a stutter in sight and the HDR looked great. Looking forward to the full game but will likely wait until it drops in price a little.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Debating whether or not to try to run this on my laptop (6700HQ, 960m). Won't have access to my 1080 Ti 6700k desktop for a while.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Runs beautifully for me even better than RE2 on my 980ti/6700k on max settings at 1080p. I get 75-100+fps which is perfect for my 144hz gysnc monitor.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've probably wasted 2 hours just walking around turning HDR on and off in areas. It blows my mind how much better certain environments look with it on. Especially near the beginning of the game with all the neon signs.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
If its the same as RE2, Rec.709 was more accurate.
In my testing with the demo, sRGB looked better than Rec.709 this time around - just like RE7.
A lot of it stems from the fact that there's no "film noise" option like RE2 had, which eliminated the severe color banding often present in the 709 mode; but the 709 mode also looked a bit "flat" in darker areas.

To quote my post from the demo thread:
Following the game's instructions, once again, results in an image that is far too dark. In some ways it's better and other ways it's worse than RE2.
The issue with RE2 is that once you followed these instructions it was dark, but playable in a dark room… until you got out of the station where other areas of the game were much darker.
This is because many areas in the station seemed to have an intentionally-raised black level, and that looked okay with the darker settings that you ended up with by following their instructions.

The RE3 demo still has a raised black level in many areas - most notably the subway at the start - but it's generally not as aggressive as RE2 was.
I think the best settings seem to be:
  • Max Brightness: 1 below maximum.
  • Min Brightness: Lowest setting.
  • Brightness: +3 from center.
  • Color Space: sRGB
If you don't set "min brightness" to the lowest setting, nothing will ever output black on the display.
You can't even follow their "brightness" instructions without doing that - the image on the left will never disappear.

Now of course this may end up like RE2 where the demo area is not indicative of how the full game looks, but I went through literally every combination of the brightness settings, and checked them in multiple areas before settling on these numbers.
Of course, your own display calibration and viewing environment may influence your preference, but I think this is a good starting point. If you are in a bright room, it's surely going to look too dark; but you probably weren't going to notice/complain about the raised black levels to begin with.

I see that there's now instructions to mod out the vignette… wish I had noticed that before doing all of this. They really need to make it an option.
And they need to bring back the "film noise" option to minimize the color banding in dark areas.

EDIT: Modding out the vignette makes the whole game brighter overall - and that's how I played RE2. It probably also makes a bigger difference on ultrawide displays too, since the vignette is much larger with them. 🤷‍♀️
Album here:
imgur.com

Resident Evil 3 SDR Brightness (PC)

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Runs about the same as RE2 for me. 4k locked 60 FPS with everything maxed except for volumetric lighting which is at medium. Terrible effects like lens distortion and chromatic aberration disabled of course. Titan X Pascal, 6700k. Looks amazing.

When can we expect a mod to remove vignetting?

www.nexusmods.com

Remove vignette (DX11 only)

This removes the aggressive vignetting effect which darkens the edges of the screen. Only works in DX11 mode.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
8700k/1080ti, everything mostly maxed except volumetric lighting and IQ turned to 90% at 4K. It's running mostly great, but there's some dips when transitioning into cutscenes

Edit: hm the cutscene drops are actually pretty severe, anyone know of a solution?

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Titan Xp SLI, 7920X, 64GB DDR4

Yeah, I seem to be having these 1-2 second pauses while playing (I imagine they'll patch it soon enough). Other than that, runs about as good (if not a little better) than Resi2 and looks better to boot!

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
rig:
i7 4790k
5700 XT
16GB RAM

settings:
90% of 4k
DX12
maxed out except volumetric lighting (medium)
2 GB textures
no DOF, no chromatic aberration, no motion blur

Solid 60FPS, some rare split second hitches (streaming?).

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
8700k/1080ti, everything mostly maxed except volumetric lighting and IQ turned to 90% at 4K. It's running mostly great, but there's some dips when transitioning into cutscenes

Edit: hm the cutscene drops are actually pretty severe, anyone know of a solution?
Turn off Depth of field. DOF tanks performance in RE engine games, especially during cutscenes.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i7 6700K
1080 Ti
G-Sync Monitor
1440p

Everything on max (except for textures on high 6 GB, no CA, no lens flare, and FXAA + TAA). Ranging between 70-120 fps at the very beginning, but no stutters that I can see.

Last edited:

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
i7 6700K
1080 Ti
G-Sync Monitor

Everything on max (except for textures on high 6 GB, no CA, no lens flare, and FXAA + TAA). Ranging between 70-120 fps at the very beginning, but no stutters that I can see.

What about CPU usage? RE Engine games so far have been low on that.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy FPS but seems a bit choppy, and car textures seem to flash in and out of being lit (sort of like a street lamp going off and on by it, but there is no lamp). Didnt have any of this in the demo.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
One thing that's bugging me massively is objects/zombies in the distance seem to be running at 30fps? I'm playing on a 144Hz screen and it's jarring as fuck. The rest of the game is running at 120-144fps.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Am i the only one getting stutter (frametime spikes) when it is loading in new areas? Any fix? Using a 2080 ti with a 9700 on a nvme drive. GPU and CPU utilization is below 90

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Am i the only one getting stutter (frametime spikes) when it is loading in new areas? Any fix? Using a 2080 ti with a 9700 on a nvme drive. GPU and CPU utilization is below 90

Try increasing the page file size on your system. I had the same problem and that seems to have fixed it.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
If you are getting stuttering in the game, I recommend at least trying DX12 mode.
The general opinion seems to be that DX12 mode performs worse, but as a test I limited my Ryzen 1700X to 2.2 GHz and tried a few combinations of lower core/thread counts.
DX11 mode had severe stuttering at times, while DX12 was far better. Here's one sample from the same section of the demo:

DX12:
Average framerate : 106.9 FPS
Minimum framerate : 64.3 FPS
Maximum framerate : 244.1 FPS
1% low framerate : 74.3 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 66.4 FPS​

DX11:
Average framerate : 72.0 FPS
Minimum framerate : 0.2 FPS
Maximum framerate : 227.1 FPS
1% low framerate : 0.2 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 0.2 FPS​

With the CPU operating at its typical ~3.9 GHz clock and the game having access to all 8c16t, DX11 mode is indeed a few percent faster than DX12 mode; but that doesn't mean I'd recommend everyone use it.
A lot of people seem to forget that high-end CPUs can brute force past issues that DX12 may fix on lower-end CPUs. And in theory, DX12 should help keep minimum frame rates higher even on high-end CPUs. I'd rather lose a few percent off the maximum, if it means that minimums are going to be higher, or performance is going to be more consistent/stutter-free.

Try increasing the page file on your system. I had the same problem and that seems to have fixed it.
The page file should be system-managed on any recent version of Windows.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Opening the game for a quick test, and it was around 50%. Not sure if it gets worse when playing for longer, but I'll let you know when I get to that!

Also, 1440p!

Thanks, I was trying to get a picture if my 6700k will be enough to get 144 fps till the first PS5/XSX games with the proper card. I'm waiting for the 3070/80.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't started playing yet but I'm already frustrated. Vert- so a 32:9 monitor looks like shit. Moved my PC to my home theater and it looks like they cut Atmos support. What gives Capcom?

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Shrug
Fixed it for me without dipping into DX12.
What I mean is that no-one should have to touch page file settings.
If you had previously set it to some manual value, increasing it from that might fix the problem.
But if you leave it set up as system-managed, it should automatically increase in size as required.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am running it on DX12 - 1440p, 144Hz Gsync, maxed out - performance is top notch on RTX 2070 Super.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
I'm finding better performance with DX11, I had stutters with DX12.

(i7-8700, 1080Ti, everything maxed).

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Performance seems to be great. 4k with almost 55-65fps is possible with an RTX 2070 Super and volumetric lights on medium instead of high (which practically to does nothing quality-wise) and everything else maxed (except this weird texture quality setting).

I'm sorry if this has been answered already but are Screen Space Reflections « broken » as in RE2?
Yes. Although I do think scenarios where it looks "broken" as in RE2 are a bit less frequent. Then again I'm only at the beginning.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Performance seems to be great. 4k with almost 55-65fps is possible with an RTX 2070 Super and volumetric lights on medium instead of high (which practically to does nothing quality-wise) and everything else maxed (except this weird texture quality setting).

Yes. Although I do think scenarios where it looks "broken" as in RE2 are a bit less frequent. Then again I'm only at the beginning.

Thanks for answering. It's a pity but it'll let me crank other things higher.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody found a way to move the game to a different monitor?

I can only run the game in Full Screen since I want to have HDR but Win+Shift+Left/Right doesn't work?

Looks like I can manually set the game to windowed, drag the window to my tv and then switch back to Fullscreen... Really annoying but I guess it will work for now

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I posted in the other thread but why does the demo look night in day with the brightness settings I can barely play the default display settings cause of how unevenly bright it is granted the demo didn't give you the option to adjust the brightness

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anybody found a way to move the game to a different monitor?

I can only run the game in Full Screen since I want to have HDR but Win+Shift+Left/Right doesn't work?

Looks like I can manually set the game to windowed, drag the window to my tv and then switch back to Fullscreen... Really annoying but I guess it will work for now
Use Big Picture Mode and default BPM to use the second monitor is how I do it for anything that's not borderless.