• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hoped u could use a better word to describe that the info isn't "literally" 100% accurate , but using the word misleading implies that I use this thread with its not "literally" 100% accurate info for whatever advantage of mine because of a minor size difference
There are plenty games that have something like 50GB in sys requirements but install size on disk ends up in the 30-40GB range. That's a big difference. Not saying it will be like that with RE2, but chances are high that final install size will take up LESS than 26GB and thread title (originally) said that file size is 26GB, which I found to be a bit misleading, that's all.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
they surely know how to black magic

s-l300.jpg
That was Angel Studios who did this port actually. They worked some black magic with only 9 people who worked on it. There's some videos on YouTube that talk about the crazy lengths they went to.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I opened up some space on my PS4 for this, was fully expecting it to be 80GB+. For reference, does anyone know how much space does RE7 take with the updates and such?

Oct 28, 2017
I suppose it's not really that surprising since they seem to be handling most of the cutscenes in-engine. No giant HD FMV files to be bloat the file size, aside from the usual opening/ending scenes, I guess.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Reasonable size! Although I don't care too much about that.

Now, let's not get into the corners they had to cut to fit the original in an N64 cartridge because compromises were made. It's not a perfect, same fidelity, full content port.
It's very comparable. 26gb for a game seemingly of the calibre we've seen is kind of nuts, but it can probably be traced back to the fact that RE2 always had a short campaign and that both Leon and Claire are likely to see 90% the same overall areas and enemies, and otherwise, as with the N64 port of the original I'm sure the way their RE-Engine pipeline works involves certain file-types that store highly compressed but super smartly compressed assets of audio, textures and 3D models.

It's like exporting a screen-capture vid from OBS Studio and then trying to re-render it after trimming with Adobe Premiere Pro CC - you just can't get the same level of quality and smoothness without quadrupling the file-size. I'm sure RE Engine has a lot to do with how they did it but I'm sure there's some trade-offs we don't necessarily see as well.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ballooning file sizes is one of the more troubling trends in the industry, unfortunately it doesn't get discussed much because most of that discussion goes towards MTXs and exploitative labor practices (which is good because those are both bigger issues yea, though still unfortunate that this other separate issue doesn't get as much attention as a result).

Setting aside the fact that poor optimization is a general failure of craftsmanship, these huge file sizes just eat up bandwidth and can really screw over people with data caps. Props to Capcom for, as always, releasing a AAA-tier experience that's optimized to like 50% GB size of what I expected.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I always find it weird that Japanese games are often much smaller than Western stuff today. Why is that?

21 GB on PS4, if this was a Western game it would probably be 2-3 times as big.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is misleading. OP, you don't know the actual RE2 file size on PC. System requirements are just saying you need 26GB of free space on your hard drive to complete the installation process. Final installed game size could be (and usually is) smaller!
System requirements usually are listing final installed game size, it's the download size that could be anything which is why those aren't usually listed.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really reasonable size but Capcom has been really good about that for their last several games.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
I suppose it's not really that surprising since they seem to be handling most of the cutscenes in-engine. No giant HD FMV files to be bloat the file size, aside from the usual opening/ending scenes, I guess.

This is correct. This also applies to MHW as well, but cutscenes are primarily in-engine which significantly cuts down on hard drive space. The added benefit of course is that any costume change you apply to the characters will also be reflected in the cutscene.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I always find it weird that Japanese games are often much smaller than Western stuff today. Why is that?

21 GB on PS4, if this was a Western game it would probably be 2-3 times as big.

Only Capcom games are smaller and not all jp games are smaller.
Nioh is 80gb
Nier is 50gb
FF XV is over 100

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom teaching devs how to fucking manage your file size correctly.

No 100GB fuckery with them.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For comparison, RE7 is about 37GB (with DLC). Without is 24GB.

Also, the system requirements of both games are identical:
DY1BZVL.png

Last edited: