• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so does X stich himself together after being skewered by Berkins or there's 2 of them? Because he loves Leon till the very end.
I don't think there is really two Tyrants. What CAPCOM did with this game was basically pulled a RE1/REmake style of campaign(In Jill's campaign Rebecca never appears/probably dead, same with Barry absence in Chris' campaign).

There is only one Mr.X, in Claire's campaign he gets killed by Birkin while in Leon's campaign he gets blasted by the Rocket Launcher. Notice that Annette dies in two different forms in both campaigns.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NEST is basically a mini level straight out of Dino Crisis 2. It gives me new hope that we'll see Regina & Dylan again someday. Hopefully complete with time travel shenanigans. After all, Dylan needs to be rescued.

will0wis

Nov 1, 2017
Brazil
I don't think there is really two Tyrants. What CAPCOM did with this game was basically pulled a RE1/REmake style of campaign(In Jill's campaign Rebecca never appears/probably dead, same with Barry absence in Chris' campaign).

There is only one Mr.X, in Claire's campaign he gets killed by Birkin while in Leon's campaign he gets blasted by the Rocket Launcher. Notice that Annette dies in two different forms in both campaigns.

Umbrella ordered the deployment of several Mr. X (Tyrant T-103 Model) units in Raccoon City during the outbreak, one of them in the RPD to find Sherry and kill survivors, and the rest in the Incineration Disposal Plant to deal with US special forces that were trying to gain access to Birkin's lab. Some of them can be seen dead in RE3 as others have already mentioned. This info comes from a file in The Umbrella Chronicles.

Umbrella quite literally mass produced these Tyrants and had them ready to use whenever they wanted, and one of such T-103 units was infected with the Nemesis parasite to create the Nemesis creature as we know it. It could be just one in RE2 (the one sent to the RPD), but the files regarding the city outbreak do support the idea that there were more.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Umbrella ordered the deployment of several Mr. X (Tyrant T-103 Model) units in Raccoon City during the outbreak, one of them in the RPD to find Sherry and kill survivors, and the rest in the Incineration Disposal Plant to deal with US special forces that were trying to gain access to Birkin's lab. Some of them can be seen dead in RE3 as others have already mentioned. This info comes from a file in The Umbrella Chronicles.

Umbrella quite literally mass produced these Tyrants and had them ready to use whenever they wanted, and one of such T-103 units was infected with the Nemesis parasite to create the Nemesis creature as we know it. It could be just one in RE2 (the one sent to the RPD), but the files regarding the city outbreak do support the idea that there were more.
Yes but only 1 was deployed to the RPD, the other 7 were deployed to fight the military. Until CAPCOM updates the official timeline or release a statement saying now there is more than 1 Tyrant in the RPD, i will stick with my theory.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I don't think the devs should have bothered with the AB setup, it's kind of pointless here and isn't handled very well from a story consistency perspective

Deleted member 35923

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2017
Wtf. I ended up dodging after dying a few times to it. I think it still did some damage but it wasn't a 1 hit KO.

Congrats to you and all the other speedrunners in this thead. God damn.

I could beat the old games quickly, but I can't even do this game on Standard because I need aim assist.

You can stay behind a rock to dodge It too. He will hit It. Worked for me in standard.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
wow, I have to confess I really don't remember how the Alligator boss fight went down in the original game (literally haven't played it since 98/99), but it was really disappointing how it was presented in this game. First misstep in a flawless game until now :(

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
wow, I have to confess I really don't remember how the Alligator boss fight went down in the original game (literally haven't played it since 98/99), but it was really disappointing how it was presented in this game. First misstep in a flawless game until now :(
The gator enters a door, you run back through the corridor you came through while the gator crawls after you. You hit a button that releases a cannister that the gator chomps on. You shoot it and it blows up. So basically the same thing.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Probably have been asked/answered, but are the Mr X in Clair's scenario and the one in Leon's different Mr Xes?! Or is G impaling Mr X not cannon in Leon's scenarios?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Leon and Claire end up doing the same puzzles in their scenarios.
So the A and B scenarios dont make any sense.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
The timeline not making any sense isn't anything new with Resident Evil.
The first Resident Evil still doesn't make any sense storywise because of Barry and Rebecca.
And actually, in the original LeonA/ClaireB, Annette dying twice happens too.

I certainly wish Capcom would care more about Resident Evil's story and continuity but it's been like that for years.

May 26, 2018
Why does the outbreak occur in the original game, and in this one? Finished Leon's campaign, but so far haven't gotten any answers.
And why does Umbrella deploy Tyrants in the city? To kill witnesses of what?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why does the outbreak occur in the original game, and in this one? Finished Leon's campaign, but so far haven't gotten any answers.
And why does Umbrella deploy Tyrants in the city? To kill witnesses of what?
Some rats and cockraoaches got infected. The cockroaches then pushed the rats out above ground where some of them swam in the city's main water reservoir and contaminated it. There was a tape you could have found in Leon's story that shows some rats gettign infected. Leon himself even says they must have started the outbreak.

They deployed tyrants to eliminate the police and recover the G virus.

May 26, 2018
Some rats and cockraoaches got infected. The cockroaches then pushed the rats out above ground where some of them swam in the city's main water reservoir and contaminated it. There was a tape you could have found in Leon's story that shows some rats gettign infected. Leon himself even says they must have started the outbreak.

They deployed tyrants to eliminate the police and recover the G virus.
I remember Leon talking about rats, but I thought there would be a super plan behind or something like that. Can't believe it was just a casual thing.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
I got grabbed by a plant zombie just before the extraction point in 4th survivor and I swear to god I could cry right now. It's so difficult.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So spiders were originally in the sewer area? Thank god they were cut, that would have made me stopped playing completely.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about it the more disappointed I am in how they really cut back on the story and character interactions compared to the original.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I remember Leon talking about rats, but I thought there would be a super plan behind or something like that. Can't believe it was just a casual thing.

Yep, in both games, everything happens because of one simple mistake from Umbrella : They tried to steal William Birkin's G-Virus.
He then transformed, killed the soldiers, one of them had a case with the T-virus in it and BAM, 100,000 got their lives destroyed.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
The more I think about it the more disappointed I am in how they really cut back on the story and character interactions compared to the original.

You're not the only one saying that but..
As someone who played the original for the first time last month, I don't get the complaint. Leon and Claire doesn't have any real conversation in the original, the two time they meet it's just "we gota get outta here!!!!!!"
Ada and Leon doesn't have any chemistry and she straight up abandon him when he get shot.
Sherry and Claire is pretty much the same as in the Remake.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I think Sherry and Claire has the best chemistry in this game right away. Clarie going into mother mode straight away.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
If rumor is right, the A/B scenarios were added at the very last minute. And it shows.

It's kinda disappointing because it seems like it wouldn't be too much to make some cuts and changes here and there that help continuity. Cutting the Birkin fight in the lab (same as in scenario A) and Annette's second death scene lol. Mr X has some regenerative/healing abilities, so showing him in Leon's scenario in the lab with his clothing ripped and the side of his torso gnarled up would have fixed that.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I personally like that they altered some of the scenes to be opposite like Annette being present when William injects himself with the G virus, Annette being the one who injures Ada and sends her over the edge rather than Mr. X, Mr. X being the one who kills Ben (the reporter) instead of Birkin, the Umbrella soldiers actually having a conscience this time instead of going "be careful you might shoot the case with the G virus", Ada seemingly giving more a shit about Leon this time around, Irons having more screentime. All good stuff to me.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, having them pick up police radios and stay in *slightly* more contact (like in the original) would have been nice.

The cutscenes we *do* get are all well-acted and good, but I feel like if I didn't already know the plot of this game inside and out, understanding what's up with Birkin and where the G-type embryo enemies come from would be pretty difficult for me.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
You're not the only one saying that but..
As someone who played the original for the first time last month, I don't get the complaint. Leon and Claire doesn't have any real conversation in the original, the two time they meet it's just "we gota get outta here!!!!!!"
Ada and Leon doesn't have any chemistry and she straight up abandon him when he get shot.
Sherry and Claire is pretty much the same as in the Remake.

Thing is it makes more sense (though not much) for Leon & Claire to somehow never run into each other than it does for them to meet up and split up again because reasons. But this could be easily resolved by throwing in a couple more scenes of them almost making contact with each other but something preventing it. Maybe Leon sees Claire running around a corner and as he's trying to catch up to her, Mr X (who is the reason why she was running in that direction) bursts out of a wall, making you go in the opposite direction. Claire catches a glimpse of Leon going into a door from far away so he doesn't hear her yell out, etc. Just a couple example of moments like that which could've been in the game to make things more consistent.

Last edited:

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The gator enters a door, you run back through the corridor you came through while the gator crawls after you. You hit a button that releases a cannister that the gator chomps on. You shoot it and it blows up. So basically the same thing.

Yeah, considering the effort it must have taken to design that whole sequence with an alligator that would only be on-screen for 15 seconds I'm just pleased to see it make it in the remake.

May 26, 2018
Yep, in both games, everything happens because of one simple mistake from Umbrella : They tried to steal William Birkin's G-Virus.
He then transformed, killed the soldiers, one of them had a case with the T-virus in it and BAM, 100,000 got their lives destroyed.
Didn't Birkin worked for Umbrella? Why did they try to steal it if so?
But that's actually much more interesting than an intentional master plan.
The cutscenes we *do* get are all well-acted and good
I was blown away by the scene with the informant at the jailhouse. I'm not used to witnessing above average acting in a Resident Evil game, of all things. I tip my hat fedora to you, Capcom.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm still disappointed that REV2 kinda destroyed Claire's character regarding that.

Are you talking about the scene when they meet Natalia for the first time and Moira is the one going all mother? Yeah I can see that now, but when I played Rev 2 I had never played RE2 so I didn't think much of it. Now tho.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Didn't Birkin worked for Umbrella? Why did they try to steal it if so?
But that's actually much more interesting than an intentional master plan.

He did but was basically taking too long so they told him to stop his research and basically fire him.
So he decided to sell the T-Virus and info on Umbrella to the US Governement. We can see him stealing the viruses on the tape where he gets killed by the Umbrella Security Forces.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
It's kinda disappointing because it seems like it wouldn't be too much to make some cuts and changes here and there that help continuity. Cutting the Birkin fight in the lab (same as in scenario A) and Annette's second death scene lol. Mr X has some regenerative/healing abilities, so showing him in Leon's scenario in the lab with his clothing ripped and the side of his torso gnarled up would have fixed that.
Yeah this woulda been great fixes

I feel that the dev's expected most players to only play once to the credits with one character and call it, and they didn't want either scenario to cannibalize drama from the other, so we get this weird thing where they both hit the same beats that contradict each other, mirroring an RE1 style story more, but then weirdly combined with the obviously last-minute inclusion of 2nd Run

And as much as I like the Plant 43 segment if they had you explore a different area in 2nd Run, or 43 is already dead but the plant zombies adapted and grew stronger (just like when you use the anti-BOW gas in A but have to deal with stronger Ivies in B)

Last edited:

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've been dreaming about scenario B starting in the streets and looping through the basketball court alleys. A different intro and death scene for Birkin G1, and a remixed G2 and G3 fight are probably too much to ask for, but that'd really make the B runs feel special instead of just lightly remixed and truncated.

Otherwise, very minor squabbles would include wanting more contextual text pop-ups (the only one I can remember is the spark plugs riddle) describing environmental areas, and I think it'd be awesome to see the load screen synopsis text pop-up after saving. An option to allow the load screen to remain long enough for me to read it would be cool, I guess. I wish they'd normalize knife damage across platforms.

I only nitpick because it's far easier to do so about things for which I care greatly. This game takes the level design I love so much and works it to perfection.

I truly hope REmak3 takes this and expands upon it to show us the new Raccoon City.

Apr 19, 2018
It's been a long-ass time since I played the original RE2, so my memory of some of the story beats are a bit hazy. But at least based on Leon's A story in the remake, they've seemed to make Annette a much more sympathetic character. She definitely didn't seem to want the G-Virus to fall in the wrong hands, so her knowing who Ada is and shooting her is kinda justifiable. Plus she didn't want William escaping during the final fight, and she was relieved that the sample fell into the crumbling abyss.

Also, did Leon ever figure out who Ada was in the original? I felt their final scenes together in the remake better sets up their mistrustful relationship when they first meet up again in RE4.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The first Resident Evil still doesn't make any sense storywise because of Barry and Rebecca.

I certainly wish Capcom would care more about Resident Evil's story and continuity but it's been like that for years.
You either choose the story of Chris, or of Jill.
Barry or Rebecca get out unseen some how.

But here they now put 2 stories that include the same bits together and made them 1 whole thing. Just doesn't work.

And are you sure we see her die twice in A and B in the original?
Doesn't she only die in a different way when you play the sequence!?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long-ass time since I played the original RE2, so my memory of some of the story beats are a bit hazy. But at least based on Leon's A story in the remake, they've seemed to make Annette a much more sympathetic character. She definitely didn't seem to want the G-Virus to fall in the wrong hands, so her knowing who Ada is and shooting her is kinda justifiable. Plus she didn't want William escaping during the final fight, and she was relieved that the sample fell into the crumbling abyss.

Also, did Leon ever figure out who Ada was in the original? I felt their final scenes together in the remake better sets up their mistrustful relationship when they first meet up again in RE4.

Yes, Annette tells Leon she's working for an organization that wants to steal the G-virus. In Leon A scenario he confronts her and the same thing happens as she falls through the pit after being shot by Annette.

You either choose the story of Chris, or of Jill.
Barry or Rebecca get out unseen some how.

But here they now put 2 stories that include the same bits together and made them 1 whole thing. Just doesn't work.

She doesn't die twice in the Original. She has two different deaths depending on the scenario. In Claire A/Leon B she dies after telling Claire how to make the anti-viral after being stabbed by Birkins. In Leon A/Claire B she dies after rubble fall on her after Birkins starts thrashing around in the lab.

The canon story is a mix of all scenarios as this remake showed and the series storyline as a whole.

RE 6 confirmed that Sherry got infected by the G-Virus and this only happened in Claire A/Leon B. This remake also supposed Leon is the one fighting the Tyrant at the end and that only happened in Claire A/Leon B. Yet in the remake Leon confronts Ada and she gets shot by Annette and falls into a pit and that only happens in Leon A/Claire B.

A plot hole for many in the Leon A/Claire B scenario was that Ada was helping Claire (she throws her the Rocket Launcher) even if they didn't even know each others :P

Last edited:

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I don't think the devs should have bothered with the AB setup, it's kind of pointless here and isn't handled very well from a story consistency perspective

They should implement a "C" mode that just lets you play to the end of the game under A.

Yeah this woulda been great fixes

I feel that the dev's expected most players to only play once to the credits with one character and call it, and they didn't want either scenario to cannibalize drama from the other, so we get this weird thing where they both hit the same beats that contradict each other, mirroring an RE1 style story more, but then weirdly combined with the obviously last-minute inclusion of 2nd Run

And as much as I like the Plant 43 segment if they had you explore a different area in 2nd Run, or 43 is already dead but the plant zombies adapted and grew stronger (just like when you use the anti-BOW gas in A but have to deal with stronger Ivies in B)

It would have been nice to have it set up so that Claire explores one side of the lab, while Leon explores the other. Then have both destinations ultimately lead to the same objective further underground.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I take back my complain of no doggy Birkin. That version of him is still in the game but just modified. Still wish the Spiders and Moth were in.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017

That's what the original trilogy was designed as. None of the first 3 games has a definitive canon.

REmake 3 will also be like this I bet.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
She doesn't die twice in the Original. She has two different deaths depending on the scenario. In Claire A/Leon B she dies after telling Claire how to make the anti-viral after being stabbed by Birkins. In Leon A/Claire B she dies after rubble fall on her after Birkins starts thrashing around in the lab.

Annette kind of dies twice in LeonA/ClaireB, in a same fashion as in the remake.
She shoot Ada and then dies. If you go unto her body, it says she's dead.
But a few moments laters, in ClaireB, when you get to her, she's alive again to have some final words with Sherry and then dies again.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
When I think of the canonical storyline I just imagine the following:
"They" entered the RPD, "they" fought Mr.X and Birkin. Leon went with Ada, Claire rescued Sherry. "They" meet again on the train.

But I really do wish the remake would have made the canon more explicit.

Ideally the A riddles would be solved in A and in B you have to deal with it. For example B character has to take the medallions out of the statue and bring them back to original place for some reason. Limited additional scenario development but smoother plot progression.