• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think RE2's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 467 21.8%
  • 89-92

Votes: 1,050 49.1%
  • 85-88

Votes: 500 23.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 77 3.6%
  • <80

Votes: 45 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'm not able to record at the moment but it's worth saying that it's excellently implemented. It even has it on the main menu, not just gameplay.

Plus the voice saying 'Resident Evil 2'. It' a different voice, though, which is a bit of shame, but it still sounds great.

Oh my god this makes me so happy to hear. I was so worried it would be half assed and I didn't like the overall lack of music in the demo.

Systolique

Oct 26, 2017
Offering a better translation of GameKult's review :

7/10 (to note that they never gave a 10/10, 7/10 is what they consider to be a "good" game)

+ Ambiance masterpiece
+ Mastery of pacing between action, exploration & survival
+ Gore enthousiasts, rejoice !
+ Impeccable fluidity

- Double sided scenario as disappointing as it is incoherent [obviously all those points are developed in the full review, here Puyo says that while it is a great hommage, the narrative limitations of the original game are the same in this remake, which makes this narrative structure disappointing, especially after Resident Evil 7 which went out of the beaten path]
- Main campaign is too quickly beaten
- Zombies are a tad too resistant to our taste ['our taste' meaning GameKult's redaction]
- Movement mechanics are a bit too limited

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Game journalism, like a lot of journalism, is weird because there's no real criteria to become one, no culture of vetting standards when employing someone, whimsical definitions of what constitutes as a review and what people expect from them, and all happening in a digital age where literally anybody could become a "video game journalist" by setting up a domain or YouTube channel or whatever. You just never really know what you're getting from the individual penning a review, including their skill level, presumptions, bias, experience with the franchise and genre, and so on.
Again, it's at least worth pointing out that I think the industry at large has gotten away from calling themselves journalists. I can't remember the last time I saw IGN (or any big site) use that term

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Game journalism, like a lot of journalism, is weird because there's no real criteria to become one, no culture of vetting standards when employing someone, whimsical definitions of what constitutes as a review and what people expect from them, and all happening in a digital age where literally anybody could become a "video game journalist" by setting up a domain or YouTube channel or whatever. You just never really know what you're getting from the individual penning a review, including their skill level, presumptions, bias, experience with the franchise and genre, and so on.

Reviews in general are also weird. I mean, if we're going to really review/analyse a creative work we should be spoiling the shit out of it. Because exploring critique requires looking at all the pieces, those that work and done, and discussing them indepth. But you cant do that in a review, because your review is for people who don't own the game. So you're left trying to cobble together what is ultimately a weird blend of critical analyse of a creative work's merit, and also its value in time and money, much like a buyer's guide.

And you have to do this while ensuring the game is completed, and to the best of your ability, before the embargo date. It's shit. Glad I threw in the towel ages ago.

I think this is the best post I have seen on ResetEra. And I sincerely mean that. Thank you.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm not able to record at the moment but it's worth saying that it's excellently implemented. It even has it on the main menu, not just gameplay.

Plus the voice saying 'Resident Evil 2'. It' a different voice, though, which is a bit of shame, but it still sounds great.

Oh cool to hear, thanks. Sound effects are in as well?

I assume that means proper loop points and audio triggers and all?

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue I have with the IGN reviewer isn't so much that he missed the option for route B, but that when people told him about it on Twitter he started blocking them, like own up to it and say you're gonna fix it.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Reviews in general are also weird. I mean, if we're going to really review/analyse a creative work we should be spoiling the shit out of it. Because exploring critique requires looking at all the pieces, those that work and done, and discussing them indepth. But you cant do that in a review, because your review is for people who don't own the game. So you're left trying to cobble together what is ultimately a weird blend of critical analyse of a creative work's merit, and also its value in time and money, much like a buyer's guide.

And you have to do this while ensuring the game is completed, and to the best of your ability, before the embargo date. It's shit. Glad I threw in the towel ages ago.

This is what I wanted to say but I was more dumberer 😂

Basically a reviewer can be anyone -- Who knows what their opinion means -- But for some reason it drastically influences things for games and the devs who make them. We've also seen that at least in the case of IGN they don't necessarily vet people at all before hiring them. They probably can't pay much (especially when considering the cost of living in sanfran) and have to take what they can get

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so IGN didn't actually complete the entire game but posted a review anyway and complained about the game being short ?

This is fkin hilarious , what a joke.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Resident Evil 3 is more likely than Onimusha to be announced at E3 2019.

It has been known since at least November that REmake 3 is in development.

Nothing stop Capcom from releasing 2 AAA games at the beginning of the year. Especially when it come to RE and its sibling. We have action RE ( DMC ) this year. We could also have samurai RE ( Onimusha ) next year too. It would be a great closure before everyone start migrating to PS5/Xbox2

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Nothing stop Capcom from releasing 2 AAA games at the beginning of the year. Especially when it come to RE and its sibling. We have action RE ( DMC ) this year. We could also have samurai RE ( Onimusha ) next year too. It would be a great closure before everyone start migrating to PS5/Xbox2

Oh, totally, I would die for a new Onimusha. But I think they'll do HD remasters of 2 and 3 first. I don't think a new Onimusha would be until next gen.

I could be wrong.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I think you should be knowledgeable/somewhat skilled at games in order to review them for a living, yeah, especially if you're doing it for a major outlet. That's my standard, and because it's not frequently met I don't take outlet reviews seriously.

While I don't entirely disagree, given how diverse games are these days requiring different skill set, what does being skilled at games mean?

It's like saying people should be skilled at sports.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
IGN has had issues with plagiarism, this, Borderlands VR and probably some other things I'm forgetting in recent times. Their editorial process really needs to improve.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
No better way to start the year than with a GOTY candidate by Capcom eh? ;)

Let's see...

2019 - RE2
2018 - Monster Hunter World
2017 - RE7
2016 -
ryu-twist.gif

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue I have with the IGN reviewer isn't so much that he missed the option for route B, but that when people told him about it on Twitter he started blocking them, like own up to it and say you're gonna fix it.

I remember telling a reviewer of Nier Automata that the game was not over after Route A and they blocked me.

What a fucking idiot.

Mega Man 11 in 2018 as well!

Mega Man 11 was amazing till the Wily castle which was so short... I wonder if they ran out of money.

ket

Jul 27, 2018

Every full time reporting job or part time news internship I've ever applied to usually required some past journalism experience. For a full time position, the requirement was usually a year or more of experience. Employers also usually required news clips in order to gauge your reporting ability.

The same goes for every other gaming news writer/reviewer job that I've ever looked at. Clips are always asked for in applications.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
If you dont trust mainsteam media reviews then why is the metascore concerning to you at all

Big numbers are scary. Also, everyone knows that any number with a nine in it is bad luck. I can't see how this game could POSSIBLY be any good.

Also, have you considered that it may be opposite day? Or should I say... have you considered that it may NOT be opposite day?

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
IGN has some of the worst journalism right now. The most untrustworthy site out there for reviews. I don't understand how they keep getting away with it.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England

I think a lot of people conflate video game criticism with video game journalism.
And that any review made within a week of the game's launch or pre-launch is likely going to be shallow and, as you said, more observant on it's monetary value than anything else.
Which isn't to say we should ignore the opinions of those critics reviewing these games.
But these reviews largely exist to confirm a reader's bias of "Yes, I knew this game would be great" or "It was obvious this game was going to suck". RDR2 is a great recent example, with much more in-depth, deep critical analysis into the game being put out months later that I would have preferred to have been there at its launch week. But for the sake of business, websites need these reviews out ASAP (and the reality of playing these long-ass games). And then when these deeper looks come out, readers argue "Wow the backlash is real / why has there been so much criticism of X game recently?"

I don't really know what I'm saying, but I agree with what you wrote. I gave up the games/entertainment critic/journalist path halfway through my journalism degree because I realised what the reality of it is for most people.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
Okay... there's word of mouth from people in this thread who played and beat it then wrote a review, many highly praising it. Would you disregard their opinion because they took to writing a review? They're users on this forum after all.

Sorry, I'm not totally following you. I'm just going off of some of the reviews, preview videos I've seen. I totally would not disregard people's opinons who have wrote about it here.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Again, it's at least worth pointing out that I think the industry at large has gotten away from calling themselves journalists. I can't remember the last time I saw IGN (or any big site) use that term

This is also true. Game critic, or something like that, is usually the title. Or just nothing.

I think this is the best post I have seen on ResetEra. And I sincerely mean that. Thank you.

Thank you :)

This is what I wanted to say but I was more dumberer 😂

Basically a reviewer can be anyone -- Who knows what their opinion means -- But for some reason it drastically influences things for games and the devs who make them. We've also seen that at least in the case of IGN they don't necessarily vet people at all before hiring them. They probably can't pay much (especially when considering the cost of living in sanfran) and have to take what they can get

Thank you, and yep. Journos/critics fall into that painful middleground of unvetted, often biased opinion (not because of exclusive bias, but because everyone has a bias), structured in "reviews" that are inherently limited in how they're formed, while also having impact on a title's exposure, mindshare, and influence to developers/publishers. It's messy.

Every full time reporting job or part time news internship I've ever applied to usually required some past journalism experience. For a full time position, the requirement was usually a year or more of experience. Employers also usually required news clips in order to gauge your reporting ability.

The same goes for every other gaming news writer/reviewer job that I've ever looked at. Clips are always asked for in applications.

Journalism in almost every field other than gaming, particularly real world news, have established standards due to industry experience and history. I should have noted that, sorry. And I think a lot of that is because the sensitivity of the material you're dealing with is greater. People, politics, life is more important than video games.

I've personally found media journalism to be different, less vetted, because the standards are undefined. And also because the industry, at least here in Australia, is extremely cliquey. They say you need qualifications/experience/yadda yadda, but it's all friends of friends and referrals and this person from this place shuffled over here. That and "experience" in a digital age is so easy to establish.

I think a lot of people conflate video game criticism with video game journalism.
And that any review made within a week of the game's launch or pre-launch is likely going to be shallow and, as you said, more observant on it's monetary value than anything else.
Which isn't to say we should ignore the opinions of those critics reviewing these games.
But these reviews largely exist to confirm a reader's bias of "Yes, I knew this game would be great" or "It was obvious this game was going to suck". RDR2 is a great recent example, with much more in-depth, deep critical analysis into the game being put out months later that I would have preferred to have been there at its launch week. But for the sake of business, websites need these reviews out ASAP (and the reality of playing these long-ass games). And then when these deeper looks come out, readers argue "Wow the backlash is real / why has there been so much criticism of X game recently?"

I don't really know what I'm saying, but I agree with what you wrote. I gave up the games/entertainment critic/journalist path halfway through my journalism degree because I realised what the reality of it is for most people.

Exactly. You're left with "reviews" rushed out to meet embargo dates that also cannot go too indepth with spoilers and analysis because they're basically buyers guides, but that also means they conform to biases or are used to fuel biases within their audience, while real criticism and analyse of titles is stayed until long after release when critics have the time to really sit down and write something thorough and open.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

All without using the same words too much. Like "quite" "incredibly" "beautiful" "also".

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Well I'll be damned. The game got some very great scores. Better than I thought possible since it's a remake.

I'll still pick this down the line at a future sale. Still need to get around playing through RE7.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
One thing I will never understand about horror games is people being worried they are too short. Like, one of the main problems of Alien Isolation was that it needed to be cut down by at least half if not 2/3s.

Am I only one who prefers shorter horror games? Familiarity ruins any tension.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
So does this game have a single campaign that is altered a bit for each character and their A and B versions, or is Claire and Leon's campaigns completely different to eachother?

I haven't played the original and I'm trying not to Google the answer because I'm trying to go in blind, but some clarification on this specifically would be nice.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017