• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think RE2's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 467 21.8%
  • 89-92

Votes: 1,050 49.1%
  • 85-88

Votes: 500 23.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 77 3.6%
  • <80

Votes: 45 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that the game is reviewing well, but it always feels strange to me that so much (especially for the developers) depends on the opinions of whoever some outlet like IGN managed to hire for what they're willing to pay (which can't be much). Do these kids know more about video games than the rest of us? W
Gaming "journalism" is a joke as a whole so I'm not really that much surprised by this. Apart from Jason Schreier pieces I avoid gaming sites like plague. People like that affect metacritics so that's also all I need to know about the reliability of that metric.

If I want to get a lengthy and reliable review of a game there are tons of youtubers more fit to provide me with such content, Karak from ACG is one such example.

It always strikes me as odd that a game's success (and the lives of the developers) can be dramatically impacted by the opinions of random young people hired by big outlets to review games -- who may or may not be knowledgeable or have anything worthwhile to say. I guess it is what it is.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that the game is reviewing well, but it always feels strange to me that so much (especially for the developers) depends on the opinions of whoever some outlet like IGN managed to hire for what they're willing to pay (which can't be much). Do these kids know more about video games than the rest of us?
Do they need to know more than us? They're just playing a game and saying if they like it or not.

I don't get all the manufactured drama about the sanctity of games journalism tbh. Someone didn't notice an option, who cares. Bound to happen now and then.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gaming "journalism" is a joke as a whole so I'm not really that much surprised by this. Apart from Jason Schreier pieces I avoid gaming sites like plague. People like that affect metacritics so that's also all I need to know about the reliability of that metric.

If I want to get a lengthy and reliable review of a game there are tons of youtubers more fit to provide me with such content, Karak from ACG is one such example.

Having Kotaku, Giant Bomb, Vice Waypoint and Polygon is enough tbh. You don't really need to be concerned with other outlets, it's not like every mainstream hard news outlet is for everyone either.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do they need to know more than us? They're just playing a game and saying if they like it or not.

I don't get all the manufactured drama about the sanctity of games journalism tbh. Someone didn't notice an option, who cares. Bound to happen now and then.

I think you should be knowledgeable/somewhat skilled at games in order to review them for a living, yeah, especially if you're doing it for a major outlet. That's my standard, and because it's not frequently met I don't take outlet reviews seriously.

If you recall the cuphead footage -- I don't know if the guy recording that footage reviewed the game or not. I'm not sure. But hypothetically, if he had, I wouldn't consider that review useful to anyone at all because he's not capable of playing/understanding the game. If you review something to inform others you should be fluent in it.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Imagine applying this same logic to any other career.

"They don't need to be good at it cause reasons" like whhaaattt

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I'm confused by ign review edit then. So there is scenerio a and b again even though Capcom said no to that. And this time you unlock Leon b by playing Leon a first?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think you should be knowledgeable/somewhat skilled at games in order to review them for a living, yeah, especially if you're doing it for a major outlet. That's my standard, and because it's not frequently met I don't take outlet reviews seriously.

If you recall the cuphead footage -- I don't know if the guy recording that footage reviewed the game or not. I'm not sure. But hypothetically, if he had, I wouldn't consider that review useful to anyone at all because he's not capable of playing/understanding the game. If you review something to inform others you should be fluent in it.
Imagine applying this same logic to any other career.

"They don't need to be good at it cause reasons" like whhaaattt
I think reviews from people with low skill level are very useful. If reviews were only completed by professional gamers, they would only be releveant to professional gamers. I'd rather have a mere competent gamer who is a professional writer. Some reviews from incompetent gamers would be great to have too.

I don't think the review in question has anything to do with being good at games anyways. As far as I know they missed an option. It happens. Literally everyone makes mistakes at their job now and then. They're correcting it. It's bullshit that missing a simple game option results in a hellstorm.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
For those in this thread that have already played the games....

Looking back on it - would you recommend:

1) Leon A -> Claire B
or
2) Claire A -> Leon B

What tells and gives a better first time experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly correct, though I'd say the difference between A and B is less main story/side story and more two parts to the whole, so one character's story and then what the other character was doing while that was going on. I think B campaigns are a little shorter, but not significantly.

I see, thanks.

I've got one last curiosity. As far as how the scenarios generally relate to each other chronologically, do they happen and finish at the exact same time? Or are they offset?

I made my question into a quick graphic just because it's easy. I just want to know what general category it falls under from the below. Right now I'm assuming #2.
3XlV1qb.jpg

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I was hoping they wouldn't do the a and b shit again. Now I'll have to play as Claire first to play the good campaign as my main man Leon.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super excited to play this, sounds like they really nailed the little details and made a great, modern survival horror game.
Okay... there's word of mouth from people in this thread who played and beat it then wrote a review, many highly praising it. Would you disregard their opinion because they took to writing a review? They're users on this forum after all.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We often talk about demos becoming antiquated relics, but I have NEVER gone from 0 to 100% invested in a game as fast as I have with this game and its demo.

GIVE IT TO ME PLZ

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, I think all these people would call themselves critics, not journalists. Daemon doesn't do anything even remotely related to journalism.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Onimusha is the most likely candidate for an announcement given the pattern Capcom has been using the past few years. If it's not Onimusha then what will it be something because Capcom have given zero hints at anything else and they will announce something this year that will release sometime Jan. - Mar. 2020.

Resident Evil 3 is more likely than Onimusha to be announced at E3 2019.

It has been known since at least November that REmake 3 is in development.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I just read through the IGN review, it isn't just that one paragraph crossed out. They just crossed out multiple lines, like a high school english essay.

They don't want to just take it down, cuz they want the clicks lol.

Neoshockwave

Oct 28, 2017

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Game journalism, like a lot of journalism, is weird because there's no real criteria to become one, no culture of vetting standards when employing someone, whimsical definitions of what constitutes as a review and what people expect from them, and all happening in a digital age where literally anybody could become a "video game journalist" by setting up a domain or YouTube channel or whatever. You just never really know what you're getting from the individual penning a review, including their skill level, presumptions, bias, experience with the franchise and genre, and so on.

Reviews in general are also weird. I mean, if we're going to really review/analyse a creative work we should be spoiling the shit out of it. Because exploring critique requires looking at all the pieces, those that work and done, and discussing them indepth. But you cant do that in a review, because your review is for people who don't own the game. So you're left trying to cobble together what is ultimately a weird blend of critical analyse of a creative work's merit, and also its value in time and money, much like a buyer's guide.

And you have to do this while ensuring the game is completed, and to the best of your ability, before the embargo date. It's shit. Glad I threw in the towel ages ago.