• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think RE2's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 467 21.8%
  • 89-92

Votes: 1,050 49.1%
  • 85-88

Votes: 500 23.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 77 3.6%
  • <80

Votes: 45 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
So instead of admitting a mistake which he counted as a negative in review of the game, which probably hurt the review score, he blocks people politely pointing out said mistake?

Maybe he didn't make that mistake though.
Maybe he copied the review from someone else who did.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
They got rid of the zapping mechanic, which basically saw items and stuff in the B campaign changing based on what you did in A.

A/B scenarios are still very much present. Except they're static and aren't affected by what you did in the first one.

That's rather boring. I recall them alluding that there would be some things that affect the other, namely boarding up the windows would have some effect.

Foxtastical

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the zapping shit was always oversold in my eyes. And by that I mean the stuff that "changes" based on your actions. Back when, it really didn't surprise or amaze me much in 98. It was neat? I guess? I don't know, I think I just wanted the fucking submachine gun in both A/B.

However, at first, I thought the whole idea of Clare/Leon B was the zapping system. I thought the slightly changed scenario, overlapping with the A scenario was super fucking cool. How they connected with each other. Seeing different environments, characters, etc. Encountering Mr. X. That was the shit that made the zapping system cool to me? It wasn't until I was older that I discovered that the real selling point of the zapping system were those 9 actions or so that affect the other campaign. "So I can use my fingerprint in one campaign to unlock something else in the other? I gotta replay everything to do that. That's a lot of time. Damnit."

Long way of saying I'm happy they took the part of the zapping system that I thought mattered and left the less interesting aspect of it in the original.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
That tweet is technically correct. While they confirmed years ago that they were making it, it was only at E3 that they actually revealed it.
I mean, revealed it's existence vs revealed gameplay. All I know is, I've been waiting a whole lot longer than seven months for this game, and it isn't because I imagined it lol

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
What's terrible about this? The writer seems to explain her points well

Only thing that stands out to me is the voice actor comment. Alyson Court was Claire for almost all her appearances but Matthew Mercer was Leon for Resident Evil 6 and one of the movies. To call out his lack of appearance in a game he never played the original role of (let alone more than one title in the series) is a bit weak.

The same argument about recasting those fan-favorite roles could have been made with Ada and Leon and RE6. If the point is about Capcom using non-union VO then that should be it and not something hidden in how the game "lacks charm" because they didn't use the voice actor from one game in 2012.

Last edited:

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
When you say "rarely a jump scare" does that mean:

He doesn't crash through walls and other barriers like he did in the original?
One or two scripted moments like that, but not otherwise.

Question for you about Mr. X. (And apologies if this was answered, I missed it)

In the original:

You could engage Mr. X and if you knocked him down, he would drop ammo. Is that the case in the remake?
I only knocked him down twice throughout my playthrough (mostly ran away from him whenever I could), but didn't get any ammo drops.

Might have just missed it, so if anyone who's played did get ammo drops from knocking him down, please correct me if I'm wrong.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the only negative he really had at all was that the controls were a bit tough during boss fights, requiring you to get a lot of distance before turning and unloading. This is actually a positive to me, because that's just like the original, lol. The tank controls demanded you get lots of space between you and the boss before taking a shot.

Yeah and I think that will the ability to increase the field of view even on consoles, it might not even be that much of an issue. Have to wait and see though. Either way, Thursday evening can't get here fast enough.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Well I was right after all. The right score for an excellent remake with an old story and gameplay: getting more or less would be unjust

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
To be fair, REmake 2 was first 'announced' announced back in 2015. Capcom just stayed silent on it between 2015 and 2017. What makes the FF thing worse is every couple of weeks/months a new article or interview comes out with Nomura or some internal info that's keeping that game in our sight for the wrong reasons.

I think it's that the RE2 remake was announced in the form of "Hey, just to let you know, we're starting development on it! It's gonna be a while before you'll hear anything of it, though." whereas FFVII had a big splashy E3 trailer

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, just started reading some reviews, seems like one of the best remakes ever. I'm such a wuss though, I fear that my heart can't survive a game like this, it was easier when the graphics wasn't so realistic :s

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
The reception for this game has blown me away. Way to go Capcom. I really can't wait to play and I'm very excited about a potential 3 remake especially of this calibre.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get my copy on Friday. If this remake shatters my expectations, which are already very high, then I hope Resident Evil 3 Remake started production shortly after this one because to wait another three to four years after this one would kill me.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Dino Crisis is a series I think that could make do with a sequel rather than a remake.

I agree, but there's some stank with the series because of Dino Crisis 3. Best to put the feelers out there with a remake to re-introduce the world to killer Dino's. I'm all for it.

So is Jawmuncher.

People talk like they know for sure a Re3 remake is coming. How do we know this?

Because someone here at Resetera leaked it. Same person who told them years ago about RE 2 remake talked said RE3 was fast tracked into production after positive reception of announcement.

Don't know how far along it would be, but wouldn't put it past them to have that game ready by 2020.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's that the RE2 remake was announced in the form of "Hey, just to let you know, we're starting development on it! It's gonna be a while before you'll hear anything of it, though." whereas FFVII had a big splashy E3 trailer

True, we didn't see a peep nor hide from RE2make until E3 2017.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
People talk like they know for sure a Re3 remake is coming. How do we know this?
If people think that this remake is too short, they'll get a rude awakening for DC because that game's even shorter.

Thing is, Dino Crisis isn't as big as Resident evil, so if they wanted to add some things and make it longer they could. Hell they could pull a RE2 and have you play as both Regina and glenn. Glenn was off doing his own thing for a while. Be cool if they wrote that into the game where at some point you play as him to uncover more of the shady stuff the island had going on.

Hell be cool if there was a surrounding village that had locals that is where you start, or maybe have to get to to get to the harbor for the hover craft.

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to Capcom, so excited for my pre-order to arrive later this week. Three January releases(2017, 2018, 2019), three hits.

Jul 17, 2018
What happened here ?

This happened:
bq758e1.jpg

Imagine being paid to write about games and then publishing something like this.

Oct 25, 2017
I read that the game is relatively "short" (meaning less than 10 hours) is that true? I'm kinda looking for a game that doesn't take 40 hours to complete right now. Some good 5-8 hours would be more than welcome.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on PC version + HDR? Didn't try it on my OLED with demo.

Not sure why some people were having issues with it, saying that it was either too dark, or that it seemed too bright like how the blacks look at a movie theater, but on my B6 at least (PC), it looked perfectly fine. The lighting looked about how you would expect it to look in a well lit video game area, and dark enough in areas that were not. It just wasn't as oppressively dark as something like the first Dead Space.

Also, unlike most modern games (it seems) that use HDR on PC right now, you don't need to bother using the "HDR toggle" in the Windows display settings for it to activate with the game. I wonder if some were turning it on through the desktop, which might have affected the way it looked in game.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gamekult give it a 7/10 - they've never gave a 10/10 in 19 years.

+ masterpiece for ambiance
+ a rythm of exploration/survival/action extremely well crafted
+ horror connoisseurs and gore gourmets, be happy
+ fluid all the time

- story in two parts is disappointing and incoherent
- adventure mode is too short
- bullet spongy zombies
- movements possibilities are too limited