• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think RE2's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 467 21.8%
  • 89-92

Votes: 1,050 49.1%
  • 85-88

Votes: 500 23.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 77 3.6%
  • <80

Votes: 45 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Okay so is this campaign like resident evil hd remake? Does Leon have diff abilities then Claire? Are the campaigns identical besides some story elements and characters?

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Definitely.
Saying that the game is initially less scary than the original is a downright lie. As someone who played the original RE2 as a kid, even back then I didn't find the beginning scary (aside from the first locker) and more actioney instead. The remake is alot more atmospheric and scary in the beginning atleast.

"Scary" isn't an objective, measurable thing lol

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I mean I have no problem with a different opinion but I do think it shows that the reviewer is completely out touch when he says that the game won't resonate with anyone and then you see the good reception. For context I'm talking about the review by Gamer.no which is actually a 7.

Alright I haven't seen that, I'm referring to the statement all European reviewers out of touch as a mass statement

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
They got rid of the zapping mechanic, which basically saw items and stuff in the B campaign changing based on what you did in A.

A/B scenarios are still very much present. Except they're static and aren't affected by what you did in the first one.
Just out of curiosity, are the A/B scenarios still represented as how the car flips in the intro sequence and which side Leon and Claire end up after the crash?

For example, in the original the A campaigns always started at the right of the truck, and the B campaigns at the left of it.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
If by engaging in "groupthink" you mean arrive independently at the same high score others have, then what's the problem with that? In fact it's really silly to purposely lower your score just to break away from other reviewers and appear harsher for no particular reason. If you enjoyed the game enough to give it a 9 or a 10, what purpose does it serve to give an even lower score if that's not what you truly believe it deserves (assuming this is what you were referring to)?

I'm not implying people should give a lower score to be contrarian, I'm saying theres nothing wrong with having a different opinion and being 11% removed from the average. That's not out of touch, that's not enjoying a game quite so much as another reviewer.

Last edited:

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
Alright so that's a bit odd. You have to beat the campaign with both Leon and Claire to obtain their alternate campaigns? Or am I getting that wrong.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Daemon Hatfield totally reads like Demon Hetfield

56c350c6fdff0c26e86d93ee8eda83dc.jpeg

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
the Kotaku review is terrible "Alongside plentiful ammo and a lack of isolating camera angles, the early portions of the game are simply not as scary as they could be. Instead of watching confused characters adapt to a terrifying situation, it's all too easy to feel like a familiar third-person action protagonist. Though this remake is initially less scary than the source material, the original game's best twist returns and is more frightening than ever.'

"Resident Evil 2's variety is commendable, but leaves the game feeling inconsistent as it never seems to settle on a theme. Its jumbled experiences don't combine into as intelligent a whole as Resident Evil's remake. That game took a core experience of isolation and added a gothic richness'

"It doesn't help that the narrative is marred by a lack of returning actors. Resident Evil's charm as a series rests both in the original camp presentation of the originals and the growing earnestness with which later games presented its pulp-action. Resident Evil 2 suffers from a lack of two figures: voice actors Matthew Mercer and Alyson Court, who portrayed Leon and Claire previously in the series . For reasons unclear, Resident Evil 2 opts for a new cast led by non-union actors and the result is that the narrative lacks charm. It doesn't have the campiness of the original or even the self-serious earnestness of later games. Scenes move at a rapid pace, actors plowing through lines that might have been given far more weight and richness.
The decision to go with a new cast harms Resident Evil 2's presentation. Scenes feel rushed and line delivery is too sedate. That understated nature sometimes translates to a budget-television feel that doesn't even achieve the comfortable camp that initially defined the franchise. Instead, the new acting feels off-brand, like a college student's reimagining of Resident Evil 2."

what a douche
What's terrible about this? The writer seems to explain her points well

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alright so that's a bit odd. You have to beat the campaign with both Leon and Claire to obtain their alternate campaigns? Or am I getting that wrong.
Personally I love major unlockables. When you beat the game and then realize that there is a ton of replayability opening up that you didn't expect it feels really cool.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Wait, Leon and Clair both are the same playthrough?!
No.

Just out of curiosity, are the A/B scenarios still represented as how the car flips in the intro sequence and which side Leon and Claire end up after the crash?

For example, in the original the A campaigns always started at the right of the truck, and the B campaigns at the left of it.
Not sure how detailed I can be with this answer, so I'll just say they begin in different places.

How often did you encounter him throughout your playthrough? In other words, how much time would you say was dedicated to trying to escape from him?

I read one of the reviews and it said he was pretty much invincible.
He's stalking the location you're in for about an hour and a half to two hours in the campaign A. Don't wanna get into spoilers, but that section is where the "stalking" mechanic comes into play. It's much more prevalent in campaign B (about the first 2-3 hours).

Even during the stalking sections, though, I personally loved it. I totally get where the worries about this are coming from, since such mechanics can be intrusive and get in the way of enjoyment, but I don't feel that happens here, because:

- It's not like he's constantly tailing you. A lot of the times he's hulking about the building, and only if he spots you, or hears you from close by, he becomes alerted to your presence. It's not constant.
- When you do spot him, it's rarely ever a jump scare. If you want, you can always try to avoid him, and though it might now always be successful, it works well enough a lot of the times, so you don't feel completely powerless.
- Planning your routes to try and avoid him as you try to get from point A to be is awesome, and by the time you do have to do it, you're familiar enough with the layout, so as far as I'm concerned, it actually added to the experience rather than taking away from it.
- If he does corner you, running away and lying low for a couple minutes calms things down enough (though you might have to take a hit or two).
- He doesn't interrupt puzzles, and, of course, you can always enter safe rooms to collect yourself.
- If you do engage with him, you can fight him to stun him for long enough to run away and put distance between him and yourself.

All that, and it just adds to the tension and atmosphere immensely. Everything to do with him, from the music to the sound effects associated with him, are some of the best horror I've ever seen in a game. It's far from cheap, it's far from annoying, and it's far from intrusive. That's just my take though.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. The A scenario is the same for both characters, but the B scenarios are different. So basically do the A scenario for either character and then play the B scenarios for both?

For example I do Leon A, then Claire B, then Leon B and have no reason to do Claire A?

No, ideally you wanna do Leon A, Claire B
Then Claire A, Leon B

you'll cover all variations.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah how dare a critic express some negative thoughts about the new critical darling.

I'm extremely excited for this game, but come on now.

Despite the review calling it a "must-play", the game and the mere implication that this isn't a perfect experience all the way through means that the reviewer sucks and must obviously hate the game.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. The A scenario is the same for both characters, but the B scenarios are different. So basically do the A scenario for either character and then play the B scenarios for both?

For example I do Leon A, then Claire B, then Leon B and have no reason to do Claire A?
If, for example, you play as Leon first, you can only unlock Claire B after finishing Leon A. And vice versa- you can only unlock Leon B after finishing Claire A.

The A campaigns of both characters share plenty of similarities, especially in the earlier stages. The B campaigns for both offer much more variation.

I don't want to say there are four completely different campaigns in the game, because that's overselling how different they are from each other, but there's enough variation to make sure that it rarely ever feels like a retread.

I'd recommend doing A/B in whatever order you want, and then doing the reverse, because that way you get two complete and alternate takes on the story.

Oct 25, 2017
If, for example, you play as Leon first, you can only unlock Claire B after finishing Leon A. And vice versa- you can only unlock Leon B after finishing Claire A.

The A campaigns of both characters share plenty of similarities, especially in the earlier stages. The B campaigns for both offer much more variation.

I don't want to say there are four completely different campaigns in the game, because that's overselling how different they are from each other, but there's enough variation to make sure that it rarely ever feels like a retread.

I'd recommend doing A/B in whatever order you want, and then doing the reverse, because that way you get two complete and alternate takes on the story.

Awesome, thanks for the reply, played the original so long ago, can't remember how it worked with that one.

No, ideally you wanna do Leon A, Claire B
Then Claire A, Leon B

you'll cover all variations.

Got it, that makes sense.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Two questions, one you can answer one I'm not sure you can.

1. Is Mr X annoying? Does he get in the way of the gameplay, did you ever wish he wasn't in the game or did he add to the experience

2. Dead Space is my favorite survival horro game ever. If I liked that game would I enjoy this? This can only be answerd if you played that game.
1. I never found him annoying, he's certainly a hindrance but that's by design. He's there to make areas you thought were safe dangerous again and boy he succeeds in that.

2. I would say yes. The setting of Dead Space is far more fantastical obviously, and I would say overall Dead Space is more "in your face" with its tension and horror. But moving from dark room to dark room, solving puzzles and collecting ammo... All very similar.

Foxtastical

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to read about the voice acting. The demo really got me jazzed for the acting/storytelling in this one. Felt really good, but will be interesting to see how it pans out in the full title.

Random thought. Really feels like a lot of revisionist history of Resident Evil when people talk about how people experienced the first two games back in 96 and 98.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
No.

Not sure how detailed I can be with this answer, so I'll just say they begin in different places.

He's stalking the location you're in for about an hour and a half to two hours in the campaign A. Don't wanna get into spoilers, but that section is where the "stalking" mechanic comes into play. It's much more prevalent in campaign B (about the first 2-3 hours).

Even during the stalking sections, though, I personally loved it. I totally get where the worries about this are coming from, since such mechanics can be intrusive and get in the way of enjoyment, but I don't feel that happens here, because:

- It's not like he's constantly tailing you. A lot of the times he's hulking about the building, and only if he spots you, or hears you from close by, he becomes alerted to your presence. It's not constant.
- When you do spot him, it's rarely ever a jump scare. If you want, you can always try to avoid him, and though it might now always be successful, it works well enough a lot of the times, so you don't feel completely powerless.
- Planning your routes to try and avoid him as you try to get from point A to be is awesome, and by the time you do have to do it, you're familiar enough with the layout, so as far as I'm concerned, it actually added to the experience rather than taking away from it.
- If he does corner you, running away and lying low for a couple minutes calms things down enough (though you might have to take a hit or two).
- He doesn't interrupt puzzles, and, of course, you can always enter safe rooms to collect yourself.
- If you do engage with him, you can fight him to stun him for long enough to run away and put distance between him and yourself.

All that, and it just adds to the tension and atmosphere immensely. Everything to do with him, from the music to the sound effects associated with him, are some of the best horror I've ever seen in a game. It's far from cheap, it's far from annoying, and it's far from intrusive. That's just my take though.

I really appreciate the detailed explanation, thank you.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
What was the issue that needed fixing?

EDIT: whoops double post.
This was the issue
Can anyone with PC review code confirm whether they have fixed the negative acceleration with mouse aiming that was present in the demo? (where camera movement/aiming is slower the faster you move the mouse)
It's a deal-breaker for me if they have not.

As for the main scenarios being 6 hours long, that seems like a good thing to me - most games feel like they're padded out to double the length they ought to be now.

Very disappointed to hear that most of the enemies are now humanoid rather than the classic mix of enemies found in Resident Evil games though.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'm an ardent RE6 defender, because combat in that game is off the charts fun, and I have sunk probably 50+ hours into RE5 across several playthroughs. It's safe to say that even in the action-era of RE, I've loved it.

But I never thought we'd see a day and age where the series returned to the horror roots AND was a critical and sales success. I know sales on RE2 are far too early to call, but the hype and coverage suggest it'll do just fine. First Revelations 2 felt like a call back in both atmosphere and gameplay to the earlier games, then RE7, and now RE2.

It's a good time to be an RE fan.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Was the original Resident Evil 2 ever released on PC? I kind of want to play that one first, but the release of this game is making the original impossible to find in a Google search lol.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
For those who played, how scary it is?

I really want to play it, but dont like jump scares and such

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I'm aware of negative thoughts if they are justified like cut enemies, but not having a new cast of voice actors, not as campy as the 1998 version, plentiful ammo, lack of camera perspectives.

I think a discussion on scab actors is a valid discussion to have. Alyson Court has been playing Claire Redfield since the beginning sans a couple side games, so I can see that being weird to have someone else play that character in a remake of the original RE2.