• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think RE2's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 467 21.8%
  • 89-92

Votes: 1,050 49.1%
  • 85-88

Votes: 500 23.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 77 3.6%
  • <80

Votes: 45 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
the Kotaku review is terrible "Alongside plentiful ammo and a lack of isolating camera angles, the early portions of the game are simply not as scary as they could be. Instead of watching confused characters adapt to a terrifying situation, it's all too easy to feel like a familiar third-person action protagonist. Though this remake is initially less scary than the source material, the original game's best twist returns and is more frightening than ever.'

"Resident Evil 2's variety is commendable, but leaves the game feeling inconsistent as it never seems to settle on a theme. Its jumbled experiences don't combine into as intelligent a whole as Resident Evil's remake. That game took a core experience of isolation and added a gothic richness'

"It doesn't help that the narrative is marred by a lack of returning actors. Resident Evil's charm as a series rests both in the original camp presentation of the originals and the growing earnestness with which later games presented its pulp-action. Resident Evil 2 suffers from a lack of two figures: voice actors Matthew Mercer and Alyson Court, who portrayed Leon and Claire previously in the series . For reasons unclear, Resident Evil 2 opts for a new cast led by non-union actors and the result is that the narrative lacks charm. It doesn't have the campiness of the original or even the self-serious earnestness of later games. Scenes move at a rapid pace, actors plowing through lines that might have been given far more weight and richness.
The decision to go with a new cast harms Resident Evil 2's presentation. Scenes feel rushed and line delivery is too sedate. That understated nature sometimes translates to a budget-television feel that doesn't even achieve the comfortable camp that initially defined the franchise. Instead, the new acting feels off-brand, like a college student's reimagining of Resident Evil 2."

what a douche

The Kotaku review is the classic example of a person trying to sound smart but not actually having anything meaningful to talk about.

It's terrible, alright.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that Capcom was getting rid of the A/B scenario zap mechanic.
Basically, it sounds like there still are A/B scenarios, but your choices in Scenario A no longer have an influence on Scenario B (in OG RE2, this was mostly limited - from what I remember - to the extra inventory space/submachine gun, I think maybe something having to do with the giant crocodile, whether you chose to turn on the BOW killer gas, and your choices with the window shutter fuse box).

So, still a total of four slightly varied scenarios, but no longer any real direct feedback from your Scenario A choices into Scenario B.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Let me take a peek but if so, yikes.
Found the posts for you since it was pretty far back:
Wow at the IGN review blunder. That's hilarious.
It really is, i tweeted him about this and he blocked me haha.
And ive read that people have gotten banned on the forums for pointing this out too. Pretty sad tbh.

I don't know whats so hard about apologizing for being incorrect about something versus shutting down criticism.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
I thought that Capcom was getting rid of the A/B scenario zap mechanic.
They got rid of the zapping mechanic, which basically saw items and stuff in the B campaign changing based on what you did in A.

A/B scenarios are still very much present. Except they're static and aren't affected by what you did in the first one.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They got rid of the zapping mechanic, which basically saw items and stuff in the B campaign changing based on what you did in A.

A/B scenarios are still very much present. Except they're static and aren't affected by what you did in the first one.

That's a shame. It was a really cool thing, and so surprising for the time.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

How do you choose a scenario then? When picking the character you have an option of A or B after you unlock it? I have not played the original so it's confusing to me.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
you think ?

OjyGPXd.jpg
Damn lol, I even gave Daemon the benefit of the doubt assuming that you might have antagonized him a bit or something, but this is just childish.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
How do you choose a scenario then? When picking the character you have an option of A or B after you unlock it?

Quoting myself from earlier:

About the second run thing-

Finish Leon first, you unlock Claire B. Finish Claire first, you unlock Leon B. Simple as that.

The second run story of both characters is different from their A story, obviously.

A campaigns for both have plenty of similarities, at least in the early stages.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I pre-ordered the game after trying the 30 min demo. It was obvious to me that it's a quality release. The fact that there is 2 story runs make it's a better value then what some of the reviews are implying.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Now if only THIS Capcom would provide us with a proper Marvel .vs Capcom...or a Capcom fighting game crossover...

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't hate that they decided to make this a third-person shooter, but I do also wish that they would make a traditional survival horror game again with fixed camera angles (was Resident Evil Zero the last one?)
It sounds like they are creating tension in other ways now (Mr. X) but the demo had none of the tension of a game like REmake/RE0 as a result of this change.

Resident Evil 0 or one of the Outbreak titles. Too lazy to spend 5 seconds checking into it.

And yeah that's how I feel about how the new RE2 goes about creating fear and ultimately now that I've seen more of the full package I think it'll work as its own creation and spin on the classic game. I kind of wish the demo had presented a room with at least one Licker or a dog but on the other hand, it just has me more excited to play the full game. The idea of Mr. X showing up when I'm already dealing with a room with a licker (Possibly more) and zombies in it definitely seems like it'll invoke more of a reaction than the demo did in terms of being uneased and tense. I do want to add that I enjoyed the demo with the additional handicap when I tried disabling the HUD and the tutorial, but I might not go that extreme on release, but I do want to start on Harcore for that extra challenge. A lot of the groundwork was done RE7, but I appreciate item management, keys, backtracking, puzzle solving all seems to have been doubled down on and brought more in line with series tradition. I'm also in favor of the shorter campaign length especially with how bloated RE6 felt. I'd rather have a shorter campaign with great content and replayability, just like the classic games in that regard. That was one of my biggest concerns when this game was first announced was that Capcom would needlessly tack on new environments to pad out the campaign length and the only new addition we have is the Orphanage which I appreciate their constraint.

But it'll never be exactly the same; the old games managed to make a long hallway filled with 3 or 4 zombies dangerous. Moreso at the start of the game and before you start loading up on hidden pistol ammo, but I feel the point still stands. It's all subjective if it makes for great gameplay or not but it stands apart from a lot of games to this day and the audience is there for it, it's just smaller. It's why I liked the Kotaku review a lot personally and it still came out very positive about the title.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I'm really worried about the Mr. X
I don't know if I will buy the game because I don't if I can handle a invencible stalker for 10 hours.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the Kotaku review is terrible "Alongside plentiful ammo and a lack of isolating camera angles, the early portions of the game are simply not as scary as they could be. Instead of watching confused characters adapt to a terrifying situation, it's all too easy to feel like a familiar third-person action protagonist. Though this remake is initially less scary than the source material, the original game's best twist returns and is more frightening than ever.'

"Resident Evil 2's variety is commendable, but leaves the game feeling inconsistent as it never seems to settle on a theme. Its jumbled experiences don't combine into as intelligent a whole as Resident Evil's remake. That game took a core experience of isolation and added a gothic richness'

"It doesn't help that the narrative is marred by a lack of returning actors. Resident Evil's charm as a series rests both in the original camp presentation of the originals and the growing earnestness with which later games presented its pulp-action. Resident Evil 2 suffers from a lack of two figures: voice actors Matthew Mercer and Alyson Court, who portrayed Leon and Claire previously in the series . For reasons unclear, Resident Evil 2 opts for a new cast led by non-union actors and the result is that the narrative lacks charm. It doesn't have the campiness of the original or even the self-serious earnestness of later games. Scenes move at a rapid pace, actors plowing through lines that might have been given far more weight and richness.
The decision to go with a new cast harms Resident Evil 2's presentation. Scenes feel rushed and line delivery is too sedate. That understated nature sometimes translates to a budget-television feel that doesn't even achieve the comfortable camp that initially defined the franchise. Instead, the new acting feels off-brand, like a college student's reimagining of Resident Evil 2."

what a douche

Looks like quite a thoughtful opinion.

Other than your disdain over her opinion I don't see anything really wrong there. Grasping at straws.

Last edited:

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I feel you, sorry if I came across as insulting myself. I can see why people wouldn't jive with the changes, but like I alluded to, I feel like they are simply finally execute what their original intent was. An unstoppable terminator esque stalker that simply will not stop hunting you, ever and shrugs off most damage dealt to it.

No worries at all man, you didn't come across like that so no need to apologise. I was worried the way I articulated it came across that way though so sorry if it did.

I do agree with you, if that was their original intention with the classic and was limited by hardware then they have definitely nailed that with the way he behaves in this one.

I sincerely wish I was a fan of that kind of mechanic because everything else looks great but I worry it would just frustrate me, I will watch some videos when the game comes out and see how it works before I buy I think.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just for clarification, I wrote this and I played the PC version, happy to answer any questions!

Two questions, one you can answer one I'm not sure you can.

1. Is Mr X annoying? Does he get in the way of the gameplay, did you ever wish he wasn't in the game or did he add to the experience

2. Dead Space is my favorite survival horro game ever. If I liked that game would I enjoy this? This can only be answerd if you played that game.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
It's only for a specific section of the game, and not nearly as omnipresent as many are fearing. And definitely not intrusive.

EDIT: More prevalent in the B campaign, though.

How often did you encounter him throughout your playthrough? In other words, how much time would you say was dedicated to trying to escape from him?

I read one of the reviews and it said he was pretty much invincible.

SourKiwi

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2018

what a douche
jesus christ, what a killjoy

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
To me, this IGN thing wouldn't be a big deal if the reviewer simply admitted that he may have missed something and the site allowed him to re-evaluate the impact on his review and his overall score. No harm, no foul.

However, the reviewer going around blocking people on twitter for pointing out a potential mistake is probably the exact way this gets elevated into something bigger. At the end of the day I think IGN will be forced to admit the error and probably rescore because it is clear that it significantly impacted the score. I think the reviewer is probably just embarrassed and now doubling down on the error.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
AWESOME !!! Did any reviewers spoke about that extra bluriness on the Xbox One X, was it solved ?

According the the VG Tech comparison it's still there as it has to do with the AA implemented for that version: Smoother edges but softer overall image. It should also be noted that the X1X has a more consistent framerate than the Pro, but not to any huge degree. I wouldn't say they're the same, but the differences seem to be fairly minor that you're good to go with whatever preference you may have.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know whats so hard about apologizing for being incorrect about something versus shutting down criticism.
Thanks. Yeah, that's kinda overboard. We all mess up, it seemed to be a relatively small oversight in selecting something. No need to go hammer and start blocking people. On the other hand his notifications are probably a mess because gamers go hard at people.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Apologies if confirmed already, but do we know if hardcore mode is just the hardest setting with ink ribbons or if it's actually an arranged/mixed up version of the game like Madhouse on RE7?

Sep 14, 2018
Looks like quite a thoughtful opinion.

Other than your disdain over his opinion I don't see anything really wrong there. Grasping at straws.

I think its a girl, anyways the person who reviewed it seemed to focus on negativity more and those negativities are ridiculous new cast of voice actors=bad, plentiful ammo=bad even though most reviews state ammo is scare, and she complains about intense camera angles non-existant, of course it was known the be third person for a while

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's fair to call the reviewer a duche when it's just her opinion. It's also hard for us to judge the quality of the VOs since most of us haven't played the game yet. I don't find it surprising at all though that Kotaku was quick to criticize over the use of non-union voice actors which I believe is a fair criticism. I just hope that that criticism didn't play into their review of their actual performance.

Sep 14, 2018
Yeah how dare a critic express some negative thoughts about the new critical darling.

I'm extremely excited for this game, but come on now.

I'm aware of negative thoughts if they are justified like cut enemies, but not having a new cast of voice actors, not as campy as the 1998 version, plentiful ammo, lack of camera perspectives.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
jesus christ, what a killjoy

Definitely.
Saying that the game is initially less scary than the original is a downright lie. As someone who played the original RE2 as a kid, even back then I didn't find the beginning scary (aside from the first locker) and more actioney instead. The remake is alot more atmospheric and scary in the beginning atleast.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
SkillUp reviews are awesome dude, this one is, too.

Nah. His presentation is very good, but his favorable reviews just reek of massive hype. There's being subjective (which is what most reviews are anyway), and then there's what he does. Professional level presentation by way of a superfan.

I don't hate that they decided to make this a third-person shooter, but I do also wish that they would make a traditional survival horror game again with fixed camera angles (was Resident Evil Zero the last one?)

It sounds like they are creating tension in other ways now (Mr. X) but the demo had none of the tension of a game like REmake/RE0 as a result of this change.

Fixed camera angles aren't the be all, end all of tension. Did you not happen to play Dead Space, or Zombi U? From what I played of the demo, it had plenty of atmosphere and tension, but it was simply a different method of delivery than before. Primarily because of the lightning. I also can't agree at all with it being nothing like REmake in that regard, especially after having just replayed it a month ago, and also just finishing watching a friend complete it last night prior to trying the demo.

Also, while it is very much a "third-person shooter" now, it doesn't play like a typical third-person shooter. And if you'll recall, all of the previous RE games up to Zero that we not on-rails shooters were third-person; just not OTS. On top of that, the shooting mechanics aren't easier in this than the previous games either. Enemies take about as many shots to go down as the "Normal" difficulties with the previous games, but now to actually get shots that do real damage, you need to stand around, lining up the shot with the reticle. Aiming/shooting in the games up to Zero was piss easy, and the only tension involved was if you were going to get a critical, or be able to finish off a downed zombie with the knife.

Stalker mechanics on the other hand? Hard pass for me as far as it being "tense". Nemesis was easily the worst part of the third game, and not because it was difficult to deal with. It was simply annoying. Modern peek-a-boo mechanics are weak as hell.

Other than earlier this gen, they were always here.

They were great last gen. Sure they had some fuck ups like RE6, DMC and Dark Void, but people seem to forget that they did a lot of good shit last gen.

They also screwed up a lot last gen, and not simply because of the three games you listed. Other than SFIV (which was a big deal), they were very much hit and miss, and besides that game didn't really feel like "Capcom" much to me until 2012. Then they ended up releasing one of my top five games from last gen. I think the sentiment you're seeing is that the old Capcom, that could hardly do anything wrong is back. They have been extremely consistent for the last few years.

It's a mechanic I've tried time and time again to get used to and the most I've achieved is being resigned to it in RE7 because I liked the game otherwise. Why, after all those tries, am I supposed to be psyched about it? I've never once actually enjoyed having to play something like that, literally not once, so unfortunately for me, it is a detriment reading about Mr. X's frequency and things like gun fire attracting him, being interrupted during puzzles and so on.

Do you sincerely think people are saying they don't like it for other reasons than simply not liking it after probably having tried it several times? Alien is in my Top 5 movies of all time and nothing would've delighted me more than fucking loving Alien Isolation, it's a gorgeously done game, but alas, even after buying it and trying to force myself into it, the stalker shit translates to nothing but exhaustingly annoying OHKO gotcha deaths in my eyes. That feels cheap to me as a player and simply doesn't fit my definition of satisfying gameplay.

And I'm a Horror film and game nut myself, has nothing to do with liking a game mechanic or not in my opinion.

And to clarify, I simply didn't calculate this Mr. X thing into my boundless hype before because I didn't dissect RE2 to the degree of remembering that it's loading screens that keep him from being a total nuisance in the original. I haven't played it in years and just remembered Mr. X as a memorable character but gameplay footnote.

Exactly how I feel about it. Still, at least now I know going in that it's there. I knew he was going to play a larger role in this than in the original anyway, but I didn't realize it was going to be the Nemesis/Baker/Alien method. Oh well. Still very excited, just slightly less so. I also get extremely irritated by the whole "Because I am a horror enthusiast, I know best" attitude. As though there aren't other people who have been heavily invested in the horror genre for decades either or something. Not everyone likes the same things for the same reasons.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018
I don't think it's fair to call the reviewer a duche when it's just her opinion. It's also hard for us to judge the quality of the VOs since most of us haven't played the game yet. I don't find it surprising at all though that Kotaku was quick to criticize over the use of non-union voice actors which I believe is a fair criticism. I just hope that that criticism didn't play into their review of their actual performance.

everything that I saw so far on the voice acting looks amazing, much better than the 1998 version, it makes sense to have a new cast, someone of that age.

Sep 12, 2018
I'm aware of negative thoughts if they are justified like cut enemies, but not having a new cast of voice actors, not as campy as the 1998 version, plentiful ammo, lack of camera perspectives.
It's a valid point, the third person perspective does give a change to the horror that might not be everyone's cup of tea, as well as more plentiful ammo.

You're just namecalling over subjective opinion really.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Not trying to change your opinion, I think it's fine to not be into this version of Mr. X. But just want to clarify that with any puzzle or interactable object that you 'lock into' (basically when the camera goes first person) you cannot be attacked or interrupted by Mr. X or any enemy for that matter.

Appreciate you pointing that out but I think that would've been one of the way lesser evils unfortunately haha...