• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think RE2's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 467 21.8%
  • 89-92

Votes: 1,050 49.1%
  • 85-88

Votes: 500 23.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 77 3.6%
  • <80

Votes: 45 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
This is the worst take

Honestly, I'm a huge fan of the original RE series and while I was able to push through and evade Mr. X, I do find his inclusion hugely stressful, and slightly misplaced in a game already dripping with more subtle, moment to moment tension.

Stalker mechanics are very divisive - and these are amped-up in RE2 by adding them to an area already littered with plenty of other lethal enemies. While the classic RE series did have recurrent enemies of a sort, they never had anything like this type of design (whatever the reasons might have been).

Were the game not so polished in other ways, it might well have put me off too - I think it's fair that some people will be put off by this, particularly considering that the closest similarity from earlier REs is that one mine section in REmake with Lisa Trevor, which is on nothing like the same level.

It does make for some great emergent gameplay moments and clearly it was designed to be the way it is, so this isn't a qualitative assessment from on my part, but I honestly think some people being annoyed is understandable.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About the second run thing-

Finish Leon first, you unlock Claire B. Finish Claire first, you unlock Leon B. Simple as that.

The second run story of both characters is different from their A story, obviously.

A campaigns for both have plenty of similarities, at least in the early stages.

Thanks for the complete clarification. IGN's review made me really confused.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017

Finish Leon first, you unlock Claire B. Finish Claire first, you unlock Leon B. Simple as that.

The second run story of both characters is different from their A story, obviously.

I thought they got rid of this in this version? I guess they kept it?

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Man, if it is a good as RE4 then this is not a tiny matter. RE4 is easily of the best game ever made

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, now I know I can't take my time looking around.

Can't wait to get this.

I'm surprised people are this happy with it. You guys actually like that you have this asshole constantly chasing you around? That you can't take some time exploring?

You have a similar part in Dead Space and that's only for a short while and I would say that was more than enough. I fucking hate the sound of this mister X. Imagine if the chainsaw dude in 4 had been like mister X....

snake2531

Oct 28, 2017
Without spoilers, is the B scenario for the other character significantly different than the A scenario for the character you beat the game as?

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
It's a huge one too... that was their main complaint about the game, lol.

Like I was saying in the ace combat thread, their main complaint about Alien Isolation was that it was too hard when they played it on hard...

I'm not sure why IGN is such a repeat offender on this kind of shit across a variety of employees, must be something in the water.

Oct 27, 2017
I've explained very clearly why and how I disagree with you. Literally all you've offered is embarrassing insults. Don't reply if that's all you've got.

Eh. You aren't wrong about anything you wrote, I just don't think it's enough to push the game over into survival horror. Yes, you have an inventory and can't pick up every single item, but it all just seems to boil down to preferences rather than survival. As in, which grenades do you want to take, which weapons do you want, etc.

Ugh. Ignore list.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I'm surprised people are this happy with it. You guys actually like that you have this asshole constantly chasing you around? That you can't take some time exploring?

You have a similar part in Dead Space and that's only for a short while and I would say that was more than enough. I fucking hate the sound of this mister X.

It won't be that bad, you get rid of him and come back to the room and take your time.

Oct 27, 2017
In 2005, Capcom released RE4 in January and DMC3 in March, two of the greatest games of all time. Looks like 2019 is about to be the same!

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Without spoilers, is the B scenario for the other character significantly different than the A scenario for the character you beat the game as?
Plenty of overlap in terms of locations and puzzles, but it's quite different. It's basically the story from the other character's perspective, so it feels familiar, but not like a retread.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017

You have a similar part in Dead Space and that's only for a short while and I would say that was more than enough. I fucking hate the sound of this mister X.
You can take time exploring, you can completely lose him and do your own thing.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

You have a similar part in Dead Space and that's only for a short while and I would say that was more than enough. I fucking hate the sound of this mister X. Imagine if the chainsaw dude in 4 had been like mister X....
Being hunted didn't mean you can't take time to explore. Why do you assume that?

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

I like the feeling of being pressured and a bit tense in horror games. Some find it annoying and thats cool but for me I like the feeling of not being safe and that he can bust through at any time

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Scenario is such a japanese word to use in this context.
Being hunted didn't mean you can't take time to explore. Why do you assume that?

To me, exploration and gradually building up an inventory is a huge part of why I like RE. Having someone constantly chase you is very stressful to me, and not in a fun way. Having a constant unkillable threat ruins the joy of methodically searching every room for me. It's been that in every single game I've played with this mechanic.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

So would it make sense to do:

Leon A
Claire A
Leon B
Claire B

Sort of to avoid B-path spoilers until you've swept A-path with both characters?

Does that make sense?

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow at the IGN review blunder. That's hilarious.

It's not only this, they dedicated an enitre paragraph to this issue:

Dxh6DWsWkAIedVY.jpg

The game got a 8.8 from them, maybe if wasn't for this mistake on their part the game could have gotten a 9?

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Reviews have got me fiending to play this. I wanted to complete REmake first but haven't gotten around to it yet. Should I wait until I've played it before I give this a go? Ive played a few hours of REmake a few years ago and enjoyed it for the most part but didn't love it. This game looks way more appealing to me.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017

Leon A
Claire A
Leon B
Claire B

Sort of to avoid B-path spoilers until you've swept A-path with both characters?

Does that make sense?
Would be better to do A/B, then reverse.

A campaign for both is quite similar (especially in the early stages), so it might feel like too much of a retread. A/B gives you the full story, and then doing it in reverse order after that gives you another slightly altered full story.

How's PC performance in the full game?
Top notch.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I just read the IGN review... Eek. What a blunder. I wonder if that had any effect on their review score as they made it sound like it was a nuisance.

It's as if the reviewer played the demo and couldn't find the gun and none of the buttons worked.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018

Leon A
Claire A
Leon B
Claire B

Does that make sense?

There's a lot of overlap in the two 'A' runs. The main differentiator being a particular transitory section (Gun Shop / Sewers for Leon and Orphanage for Claire), but honestly, it's not a huge amount of content.

I'd mix it up and play and A/B/A/B route, so you're getting more variation from playthrough to playthrough.

SourKiwi

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2018
Would be better to do A/B, then reverse.

A campaign for both is quite similar (especially in the early stages), so it might feel like too much of a retread. A/B gives you the full story, and then doing it in reverse order after that gives you another slightly altered full story.

Top notch.
any weird stuttering with asset loading? the demo had some of those