• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think RE2's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 467 21.8%
  • 89-92

Votes: 1,050 49.1%
  • 85-88

Votes: 500 23.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 77 3.6%
  • <80

Votes: 45 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Super hyped now that the reviews are in. Found out I have to work like 1–10pm on Friday. *cough* I think I'm coming down with a virus.

mr teaspoon

Banned
Feb 22, 2018
And saying "IT DOESN'T EXIST!" sure is articulate. Good job!

I've explained very clearly why and how I disagree with you. Literally all you've offered is embarrassing insults. Don't reply if that's all you've got.

Well, you had to keep your case organized to hold as much as you could. Inventory was fairly limited until later in the game, and you had to choose a loadout no matter what. You couldn't carry every gun. A good example of resource management is the Rocket Launcher. You only had one shot, but it took up a ton of space. Do you take it to kill the Right Hand and struggle with inventory? Do you leave it and have a more difficult boss fight. There was also all the different types of grenades. You had to actively choose which grenades you were going to carry because realistically you could only hold a few at a time. So you would often have to switch them out and things like that.

Bullets were also easy to go through at the very beginning of the game. It was easy to run out. This is why you see everyone knife downed enemies these days. It had to do with the fact you'd be out of bullets quick in the beginning.

Eh. You aren't wrong about anything you wrote, I just don't think it's enough to push the game over into survival horror. Yes, you have an inventory and can't pick up every single item, but it all just seems to boil down to preferences rather than survival. As in, which grenades do you want to take, which weapons do you want, etc.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Or you could play, iunno, Resident Evil 3? Mr X was always the prototype for Nemesis, it's obvious why they would use him in a similar manner.

Nemesis the guy who appears at certain points who you can fight and beat to get rid off until the next fixed point he appears again. Quite different from someone who is around much more and can only be briefly stunned

Nemesis was fine but everything about Mr. X in the remake just sounds annoying. Yeah not sure if I am gonna pick it up this was the one thing they could have done to not make me want to pick up the game

Last edited:

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
aw4v09q384v90q238rnwierjlwaejrnklaw;ervaw394nq2384n2q839rvn2u3rklq23jnrlkwejnrnlkawejnra98375928v3n 892q3n82234234809fq23f84jq293jq23dhq2l34fhq2l3d4jq28934dj82l3jd48q23d47q2h9o125g7j728357h9f35jo2dj579dj579k5d7912357h291f85h72935fj72985f12795f87j19f58j12739f57j129385f7j12895f37j1295j71+1=2
I can't believe capcom is putting this in the game.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you guess why I don't like playing RE3?
While unfortunate that you can't enjoy games that feature enemies like this, ultimately I think it's for the best the game went in this direction even if it means alienating some of you. While I love the original Mr. X, truthfully he wasn't formidable. He was a minor nuisance. In this remake he's actually a viable threat (from what I understand) and it was only appropriate that in 2019 they made him relevant. If he retained the few scripted encounters of the original, the complaint would then be that for a remake, he's practically useless. On the other hand people like you who don't like the stalker enemy would rejoice.

In the end the fan that dislikes this type of enemy in video games lost out and for that I am glad, because if nothing else Resident Evil 2 always seemed as if it wanted to elevate Mr. X to what he is in this game and had they not done that, it would have been a hugely missed opportunity, and for that I am not sorry.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
About this on IGN's review. It seens it's wrong? If you finish with Leon you unlock the "second scenario" for Claire and not for Leon.

The same is true for Claire, which you unlock the "second scenario" for Leon.

IGN with a new failure at every review, instead of playing the new unlocked scenario for claire, he restarted the game with claire with the same story ....

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
94 MC for Xbox version vs 91 MC for PS4 version

X is a beast.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Don't worry that much about the Tyrant, I thought he would be really annoying, based on the preview event impressions. But the moment he appears for the first time, you'll pretty much know the station pretty well or at least ok. He isn't around all the time, so you still have plenty of time to solve puzzles, check out everything in detail, etc. Yes, it can get pretty tough at a couple of spots, when you get a Licker, Zombies and the Tyrant all at once for example.

Also about "confusing" a/b runs: Just play with Leon or Claire, finish the game and 2nd run option will come up and use this for your 2nd playthrough. Changes some stuff, also the beginning.

And yeah, there are still some stuff which will be kind of surprise, at least for people new to Re2. Haven't seen those in reviews or videos so far (but they will be shown by someone at some point of course).

Jan 4, 2018
Have any reviews commented on if and how the game works on a dramatic level? Would be nice to play a Resi with an actual good story for once.
I talk a bit about this in my review as it stood out to me. The big picture story itself hasn't changed much, and it's kind of still just serviceable. But I really loved the performances and how they expanded on the side characters in meaningful and significant ways.

They aren't the most amazing performances ever, but they're certainly the strongest in the entire series for me. There's a decent level nuance and subtlety in them that the other games are missing. One of my favorite parts is how the relationship between Leon and Ada is handled. It makes the two of them retroactively better in past games (again, for me).

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
200.gif
Oh shit fixed confirmed!
That confirms my theories.
Wow @ that meta score!
I can't believe capcom is putting this in the game.

Like snowflakes, all these replies are different and special in their own way.

I do admit that the gif made me lol the most.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Never. And I'll probably spend the rest of my life posting on forums about how Capcom should go back and make another traditional style game.

But I won't rain on this parade with constant negativity; I am totally on board for this more stressful and terrifying Mr. X. I can't stress enough that his inclusion and the way he behaves is where I found most of my hype for the new game.

I know where you're coming from, and I'd love to see another Resident Evil done in the style of REmake because that's my favorite kind of RE any day.

But I guess we still have a lot to be excited about here, and that's great. Looking at the reception, it isn't a stretch to say this is the biggest RE title since REmake and RE4.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Nemesis the guy who appears at certain points who you can fight and beat to get rid off until the next fixed point he appears again. Quite different from someone who is around much more and can only be briefly stunned
As others have already said, that's easily attributable to the limitations of the time. You bet your ass Nemy and X would be following you if it was possible to have no load screens at the time. In fact, my memory is a little hazy as I haven't played it since the mid 2000's, didn't Nemesis actually persist after load screen doors in specific areas? I don't remember hitting a loading door and ever feeling safe from Nemesis, he'd be right back at it.

Just like the inclusion of the Crimson Heads in remake, this new take on Mr X is intended to increase the stress and strategy factor, only positives in my mind.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Great reviews. Still unreal to see RE2 back again and in such force.
Super hyped now that the reviews are in. Found out I have to work like 1–10pm on Friday. *cough* I think I'm coming down with a virus.
Just don't go to the Raccoon City Police Department. I was planning a day trip there on Friday.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Off topic but if Tango and Bethesda aren't sitting somewhere right now considering EW3 then something is wrong with this world

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
It's scoring masterpiece levels people! Capgod!

Any review worth watching without spoilers?

Last edited:

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Weird how the original RE2 managed just fine without this annoying mechanic.
Mr X was very much a part of the original RE2, and Capcom got as much out of him given the tech that was available to them at the time. Resident Evil 2 2019 allows them to fully realize all of their ideas thanks to the tech they have at their hands now, and that's exactly what they've done with Mr X (among other things).

And it's far from being an annoying mechanic. It adds to the tension and atmosphere immensely. It never gets in the way of actual progress. Not to mention the fact that having to plan your routes to make sure you don't run into him as fucking amazing.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
People are complaining about horror in a horror game?

Alright...

Didn't know that is the only way to make a horror game.

As others have already said, that's easily attributable to the limitations of the time. You bet your ass Nemy and X would be following you if it was possible to have no load screens at the time. In fact, my memory is a little hazy as I haven't played it since the mid 2000's, didn't Nemesis actually persist after load screen doors in specific areas? I don't remember hitting a loading door and ever feeling safe from Nemesis, he'd be right back at it.

Just like the inclusion of the Crimson Heads in remake, this new take on Mr X is intended to increase the stress and strategy factor, only positives in my mind.

And if Remake3 decides that Jill can't fight and down him until his next appearence in the story I will hate it even more than what they are doing with Mr X here.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
aw4v09q384v90q238rnwierjlwaejrnklaw;ervaw394nq2384n2q839rvn2u3rklq23jnrlkwejnrnlkawejnra98375928v3n 892q3n82234234809fq23f84jq293jq23dhq2l34fhq2l3d4jq28934dj82l3jd48q23d47q2h9o125g7j728357h9f35jo2dj579dj579k5d7912357h291f85h72935fj72985f12795f87j19f58j12739f57j129385f7j12895f37j1295j71+1=2

Well shit, when you put it like that....

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
About the second run thing-

Finish Leon first, you unlock Claire B. Finish Claire first, you unlock Leon B. Simple as that.

The second run story of both characters is different from their A story, obviously.

A campaigns for both have plenty of similarities, at least in the early stages.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Is it confirmed that I don't unlock Leon B by beating Claire A?

Edit: Ninja'd by the above post, phew. Glad that wasn't true.