• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think RE2's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 467 21.8%
  • 89-92

Votes: 1,050 49.1%
  • 85-88

Votes: 500 23.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 77 3.6%
  • <80

Votes: 45 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I also almost never let myself get really hyped over video game releases anymore, especially if it's one that I've been anticipating for a while. They are usually a disappointment in some regard, but I can't help it this time. Just like how I was mega hyped in '98 for the release of RE2, I'm getting that same feeling all over again, and this time I know that at least most of that feeling is going to be justified.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I did this in the records room, just hid behind a shelving unit, he came in, looked around, turned and then left. Then I walked out, wasn't sure if he'd gone left or right, gambled on right and ran straight into him. Yelp, scream, retreat, etc.

This is where a headset with Dolby Atmos really helped. I felt like I could hear where his steps were at any point, so I had a basic idea of where to go.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Any word on which version to get when I have a Pro and the X? Never played 2 and I want to avoid any spoilers^^

Great scores so far, my guess was mir to high 80s xD

No DF video yet. VG Tech shows the same performance as the demo. Pro/X at same resolution. X holds 60 much better in gameplay, whereas Pro holds better during cutscenes. X image is blurrier most likely due to the AA implementation.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What 2018 remake are you referring to exactly?
shadownxvkso.png

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
This is where a headset with Dolby Atmos really helped. I felt like I could hear where his steps were at any point, so I had a basic idea of where to go.

Yeah, I should have played with headset - my colleague was saying that certain staircases have particular squeaks and creaks that he used to place him - I need to test this.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
My experience may have been different since I didn't want to waste ammo on him, but once he showed up he was a pretty much a constant threat while inside the PD. Less in A (Claire), more in B (Leon), but not sure what the reason for that was.

I would be able to occasionally lose him, but he'd find me within a couple minutes usually. There are some rooms (outside of saferooms) that he won't go into though.

That really doesn't sound like fun to me at all, this was my biggest concern, I had a few other concerns about the game but I could put them down to me not liking the changes for nostalgic reasons.

But something like this is generally a game design mechanic that I dislike, irrespective of the game being played, I understand some people enjoy the constant threat of being stalked and it certainly worked well in Alien but it was a perfect fit for that universe.

I like to enjoy resident evil games and take my time, take in the atmosphere and still have a difficult challenge, the idea of constantly being chased like it's a game of Dead By Daylight isn't appealing to me personally.

(Not knocking anybody who enjoys that btw, we all have different tastes and that's perfectly acceptable.)

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
."It turns out that the other perspective I wanted does exist, but it's confusingly hidden behind each character's second Game mode. You have to play through as Leon once to unlock the second version as Leon, and the same for Claire. That's annoying, and it's completely baffling that Capcom set it up this way instead of just letting us play the alternate perspective on our second playthrough as the second character, but at least you'll finally get to see some new areas and there is the promise of an alternate ending. This mode isn't entirely new, though, and there is still a lot of overlap in the puzzle solving."

About this on IGN's review. It seens it's wrong? If you finish with Leon you unlock the "second scenario" for Claire and not for Leon.

The same is true for Claire, which you unlock the "second scenario" for Leon.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly Mr.X sounds like a great addition to the game. Surprised so many think it would be annoying. But I am one of those people who loved Alien Isolation.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
A-mazing! Now if I could only find the courage to actually play the game....

I've become a coward as the years have gone on....

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
About this on IGN's review. It seens it's wrong? If you finish with Leon you unlock the "second scenario" for Claire and not for Leon.

The same is true for Claire, which you unlock the "second scenario" for Leon.

This was my experience, I've only completed Leon, but it unlocked Claire's '2nd run'.

So Mr. X is just an amped up version of Mr. Baker. That's good.

Yeah, if I remember Baker right, he would stalk certain areas (that ringed hallway on the first floor), but Mr. X goes most places in RPD as far as I can tell.

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Honestly Mr.X sounds like a great addition to the game. Surprised so many think it would be annoying. But I am one of those people who loved Alien Isolation.
I mean he was relentless in the original too. Except that you beat him with the limitations of the hardware since going in between rooms meant a loading screen. Not anymore now so I say Mr.X fulfills his purpose completely in the remake.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yeah, I should have played with headset - my colleague was saying that certain staircases have particular squeaks and creaks that he used to place him - I need to test this.

I was honestly taken aback by just how....dynamic sounding(?) his footsteps were. You could hear him anywhere and you could hear whatever surface he was walking on too. It was bizarrely accurate, more detail than I'd ever have thought.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hardcore mode it is. I can see some people not liking the Mr. X stuff but I personally love it. Having a constant dread of him showing up is my kinda thing.

Looks great!

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really excited for this. Feels like fans of the original trilogy like myself have been neglected a long time. To actually have a third person horror Resident Evil back is pretty incredible, even if it isn't a brand new game. RE4 marked a departure for the series, and it's never really returned to its roots since then. And I don't consider RE4 the best in the series regardless. That title goes to RE. The fact that they seemed to have done a good job of remaking RE2 makes me hopeful for the future. Maybe we'll get a new Resident Evil similar to this. (Even if I did enjoy the more action oriented RE games in co-op, the originals are special in their own way and something that hasn't been replicated since.)

I don't mind the 6 hour length. I'll play it hardcore anyway, and since both campaigns are necessary, that'll be around 12 hours, which is close to ideal. The only disappointing thing seems to be that they apparently haven't differentiated both campaigns as much? Don't want to click into reviews for fear of spoilers of changes, but that's the impression I'm getting from certain comments in this thread.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on if the console versions added a toggle for cromatic aberration/lens distortion that was in the PC version demo, but not the console demo?

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I'm already stressed out by Mr. X. Hopefully mods will be able to tone him down. Glad I didn't pre-order.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Ridiculous lol, what's out of touch with giving a game 8/10 that's averaged 91, that's small margins. Not engaging in groupthink seems to be the better method of judging that
I mean I have no problem with a different opinion but I do think it shows that the reviewer is completely out touch when he says that the game won't resonate with anyone and then you see the good reception. For context I'm talking about the review by Gamer.no which is actually a 7.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Sounds incredibly annoying. I hope there's a day 1 mod to change his behavior.

I think he's fucking brilliant, tbh. He toes the line well between being a constant threat but also being escapable enough to not make him a complete nightmare. If you're very quiet or still and hide he'll even walk right past you... the worst thing you can do is panic. The game also does really well at giving you warning in that you'll very often hear his footsteps and hear the music that plays when he gets close fading in before you see him (apart from when it's an engineered jump scare), as once he's in the room the music will start and you'll hear the footsteps from a mile away.

The footsteps thing is a great tension-adder, too, since I got fooled more than once where I thought it was zombies, opened a door and wham, there he was - nearly shit myself. The inverse has been true, too, where I've been scared to open a door as I've thought it was him, then discovered it was just zombies.

The thing that makes it work is the design of the RPD. Rarely will you ever be backed into a corner and forced to go past him - usually you can turn tail and kite around to get to where you need to go in another way, losing him in the process. Later areas don't always play by these rules, but you're better equipped by then. I also really like the structure: he doesn't show up at RPD until you've explored the lion's share of the building, so you have plenty of time to become familiar with it all. When he shows up, it tests your knowledge of the building, mastery of the map and the routes around it - and also forces you to approach it in a different way, as suddenly you want to not fire guns unless absolutely necessary because it'll attract attention.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
And a 79 user score. Frankly gross.

I'm glad the game did well, but it was personally a 70 for me for an RE game, and maybe a 75 - 80 for a video game in general. It had a great presentation for the most part, but I couldn't stand the first-person perspective, the shooting, or the way in that it seemed to try way too hard to be a crappy Rob Zombie movie than a game set in the RE universe. The only mainline RE games I disliked more were RE5 and RE6.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I will say that it does have some incredible level design and at least one truly Dark Souls-tier 'holy shit, that leads back here?' moment that put the biggest smile on my face.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ridiculous lol, what's out of touch with giving a game 8/10 that's averaged 91, that's small margins. Not engaging in groupthink seems to be the better method of judging that
If by engaging in "groupthink" you mean arrive independently at the same high score others have, then what's the problem with that? In fact it's really silly to purposely lower your score just to break away from other reviewers and appear harsher for no particular reason. If you enjoyed the game enough to give it a 9 or a 10, what purpose does it serve to give an even lower score if that's not what you truly believe it deserves (assuming this is what you were referring to)?

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
So from what I'm reading the game does have scenarios A and B for each character and they work just like on the original, except they're named differently?

Not just like the original, the only differences are at the start and ending supposedly. So it's kind of there, but not as extensive as it originally was.

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Only thing I'm not crazy about is how dark the game is. I was hoping eventually you'd be able to restore power to the police station but based on a couple of the reviews, it seems like the entire game is super dark.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think he's fucking brilliant, tbh. He toes the line well between being a constant threat but also being escapable enough to not make him a complete nightmare. If you're very quiet or still and hide he'll even walk right past you... the worst thing you can do is panic. The game also does really well at giving you warning in that you'll very often hear his footsteps and hear the music that plays when he gets close fading in before you see him (apart from when it's an engineered jump scare), as once he's in the room the music will start and you'll hear the footsteps from a mile away.

The footsteps thing is a great tension-adder, too, since I got fooled more than once where I thought it was zombies, opened a door and wham, there he was - nearly shit myself. The inverse has been true, too, where I've been scared to open a door as I've thought it was him, then discovered it was just zombies.

The thing that makes it work is the design of the RPD. Rarely will you ever be backed into a corner and forced to go past him - usually you can turn tail and kite around to get to where you need to go in another way, losing him in the process. Later areas don't always play by these rules, but you're better equipped by then. I also really like the structure: he doesn't show up at RPD until you've explored the lion's share of the building, so you have plenty of time to become familiar with it all. When he shows up, it tests your knowledge of the building, mastery of the map and the routes around it - and also forces you to approach it in a different way, as suddenly you want to not fire guns unless absolutely necessary because it'll attract attention.

this man gets it. Love it.