• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think RE2's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 467 21.8%
  • 89-92

Votes: 1,050 49.1%
  • 85-88

Votes: 500 23.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 77 3.6%
  • <80

Votes: 45 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
I was more referencing Capcom saying they want people to worry launching in Jan because they know a big Capcom game will launch, they want it as their month lol. I have no doubt DMCV is going to score well based on footage.

Oh I get what you were saying now. Seems like it's Capcom year first half of the year every year now, so they're not wrong. Wonder what they'll have next year. Fine by me, if they keep this up that means every year starts out strong.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
In line with expectations, then. As impressive as it looks, there was always going to be a few outliers, and it certainly seems like the game handles some aspects in quite peculiar fashion.

I'll try not to read much from now on. If it's truly as short as RE 7 or the original, it's good news to me because I'll buy Ace Combat even sooner. I like to replay games, but I'm not going to play this or any up to four times in a matter of days.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
You play whatever one you want first (Leon or Claire) It's a basic story runthrough. You play the second one based on whoever you chose first, so the one you didn't choose. It's much harder, you play the other side of the police department, and you get the true final boss\ending.
Interesting. Thanks!

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
514ACMZRE9L._SX385_.jpg

That's not R3make.

Bersi

Oct 25, 2017
Any impression on hard mode? besides auto save being disabled is it similar to Madhouse in RE7 ?

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Personally, I'd have to disagree. As someone with a similar dislike of these kind of enemies, I was able to push through, but I was having far more fun without him. It should be said though - at least in the initial playthrough -

The levels are all designed so that you can put considerable obstacles between you and him, and he's very predictable and very easily baited into attacking and very easy to evade.

I'd understand if he wasn't predictable and was unfair like other stalkers in the series previously, but Mr. X is not like that at all.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
6+ per campaign, I honestly don't know what people expected.

On my second playthrough I finished Resident Evil 7 in 3 hours without rushing. In the end, without some Speedrun-BS-Items which unlocks after each run, there was nothing to explore in the game. Any other modes which can enhance the experience were sold as a DLC.

For Remake 2 it seems they put some extras besides Speedrun-Items into the game to make up for the rather short playtime. I mean, it's a full price title and the extreme short playtime of Resident Evil 7 was a huge disappointment.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The euro reviews are usually harscher then the american critics and i like it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
After I completed Leon's first run, I unlocked Claire's second run, which does make sense, as it the natural compliment to what you've just experienced. I missed this initially because I picked a new game as Claire (rather than a second run) expecting to see a separate scenario, but it shares an awful lot with Leon's A run.

Maybe the ign reviewer got that bit wrong wrong then, with how it unlocks (no surprise with them lately)

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Interesting. Thanks!

You're welcome. I recommend Leon first as he's much easier and the story is more straightforward RE to the original RE2. Claire's is much harder by default due to her not being to use certain weapons and being limited in other ways. Best to save her second. And know the game is much more difficult second time through so it's a double edged sword so it's up to you how you want to do this.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have money sitting in my MS account but i think i might hang off and get this cheaper second hand. Because of the length i suspect a lot of trade ins.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Never. And I'll probably spend the rest of my life posting on forums about how Capcom should go back and make another traditional style game.

But I won't rain on this parade with constant negativity; I am totally on board for this more stressful and terrifying Mr. X. I can't stress enough that his inclusion and the way he behaves is where I found most of my hype for the new game.

How could you survive in the last 25 years with no single game made like that?

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
You're welcome. I recommend Leon first as he's much easier and the story is more straightforward RE to the original RE2. Claire's is much harder by default due to her not being to use certain weapons and being limited in other ways. Best to save her second.

I feel like the weapons Leon gets at the end of his campaign makes the final boss much easier, so I actually recommend Leon to be your second run.

That's a very specific reason, though

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Hey listen, the first Resident Evil trilogy is a bad series of games, I'm super stoked they're remaking them with modern sensibilities so that people like me can enjoy them.
wut wut wut

Take that back. Re 2 is regarded as a masterpiece even in its original form. That's fine if you suck at tank control but the game is still a masterpiece

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey listen, the first Resident Evil trilogy is a bad series of games, I'm super stoked they're remaking them with modern sensibilities so that people like me can enjoy them.

On the contrary, they're fantastic games that simply do not suit your preferences. Yes, mechanically they are outdated, but they're fantastic games nonetheless. Holding that against games that are over two decades old is a little odd.

There is still some overlap, but they feel more distinct and the two campaigns just fit together a bit better now if I'm being honest. Still not perfect, of course, but the story flows much better.

That's fantastic. I'm glad. Thank you.

I hope I'm not being a nuisance but I have two more questions:

Are there any nods to Resident Evil 3 that may suggest a remake of that game is coming?

Is the story developed more where it's possible new games in the same time period may be made? I made this comment in several Resident Evil 2 threads recently but really, I'd love it if there were more games that took place many years prior to the Mansion and Raccoon City incidents or during, either or.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Damn, real good reviews. Glad it's doing better then I expected. Also glad its not 10 hours per character to be honest. Especially with Kingdom Hearts 3 so close.

Jan 4, 2018
Honestly, the length is part of the reason why I gave it a 9.5 (I didn't think it would be that contentious so unfortunately, I didn't really talk about it in my review). Part of what I love about the original RE2 is how concise and lean it is.

Other than that, I think it's easily one of the best RE games ever (and maybe my favorite). It feels like a nearly perfect modern interpretation of classic RE but with an OTS perspective. Also, I really loved what they did will all the characters, especially how they expanded the side characters, but Leon and Ada were absolutely the best part. Plus little things like the way the map works now are a really nice touch.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Every new Resident Evil they keep saying "as good as RE4" and in the end I'm disappointed, I won't fall for it again.
I'll wait and see gamers' impression if it's highly replayable and then I'll decide. What made RE4 so great is you still had fun even after finishing it 3 times.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Well sorry wallet, I know I said I'd give you a break till Anthem and Sekiro but looks like I'm gonna have to day 1 this.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
I feel like the weapons Leon gets at the end of his campaign makes the final boss much easier, so I actually recommend Leon to be your second run.

That's a very specific reason, though

That's true as well. You could do it with Leon on your second playthrough and it will be much easier. But your first playthrough will be harder then because of Claire, so it's a double edged sword and it's up to everyone how they want to do this. Either way, you're still getting a challenge either in the first or second playthrough.

Oct 25, 2017
So does Mr. X appear in the initial campaigns in this remake or does he only exist in the zapped campaigns like in the original game?

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
The levels are all designed so that you can put considerable obstacles between you and him, and he's very predictable and very easily baited into attacking and very easy to evade.

I'd understand if he wasn't predictable and was unfair like other stalkers in the series previously, but Mr. X is not like that at all.

I wouldn't argue with that, it does however radically alter the game's steady pacing up until that point and while he's reasonably easy to evade in empty rooms, you won't always have the luxury, nor do you really have time to pause and clear them out with him marching around.