• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think RE2's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 467 21.8%
  • 89-92

Votes: 1,050 49.1%
  • 85-88

Votes: 500 23.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 77 3.6%
  • <80

Votes: 45 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 30, 2017
So yeah. Reviews do influence. I had a tepid interest in this, but now Im buying it full price to support the developers.

Im actually really excited as RE 2 came with my PS1 when I was a young un'.

Its faith. Or destiny idk.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Can't say I like the way this sounds at all as I utterly hate stalker enemies and not being able to explore and puzzle at my own leisure but I'll find out soon enough I guess.

Another question for you, Nemesis_ , I didn't catch it in any info yet but is there a gun upgrade system and if so, can you mount lasers on all/most guns or is that option in the Options menu only for a specific gun type?

I honestly found Tyrant to be the most stressful part of the game - mileage will absolutely vary, but as someone who's never been keen on stalker enemies, I don't feel like I would have missed this inclusion. The game absolutely drips with tension and atmosphere even without him.

It isn't. It's more than manageable, I promise.

Personally, I'd have to disagree. As someone with a similar dislike of these kind of enemies, I was able to push through, but I was having far more fun without him. It should be said though - at least in the initial playthrough -
So according to ign, it sounds like A + B scenario's are in but they made it slightly odd how to access them, not as you would expect them to work.

After I completed Leon's first run, I unlocked Claire's second run, which does make sense, as it the natural compliment to what you've just experienced. I missed this initially because I picked a new game as Claire (rather than a second run) expecting to see a separate scenario, but it shares an awful lot with Leon's A run.

Last edited:

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
6-8 hours on a a first run with playtimes as low as 3 hours for experienced players is totally fine with me. There's been enough long games recently. I'm down for something short, well paced, densely packed and highly replayable.

Apr 19, 2018
Very disappointing to hear that the framerate doesn't seem to have been ironed out for base Xbox One and PS4 systems. According to ACG's review, framerate is unlocked on all consoles, but like the demo, the base consoles struggle between 30 to 50 throughout with very few instances of it actually hitting 60.

Last edited:

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"The game doesn't have options"

"CapGod"

giphy.gif

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
So 6-8 hours, ish. For one run-through, maybe, but you will be doing this for both Leon/Claire, plus whatever the 2nd scenereo is that unlocks for each after beating the first time that supposedly has new content/different perspective.

I'm honestly fine- The original was only like 4-6 a playthrough (and far less once you fully know the layout/puzzle solutions.)

Beck

Oct 27, 2017
I think they meant 6 hours for the first character on the first run. If they beat both in under six hours, then that would mean they got A ranks for both scenarios on the first attempt, which is really unlikely.

The other reviews mention that the first attempt for both characters last well over 10 hours.

Actually A is under 5 hours. Also I beat Leon's in 6 hours, Claire's in 5h23m because there were only slight changes to the progres. So around 11 hours all in all.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm still a bit confused. I read the dualshockers review and figure it out.

Is this game "Claire a/b, Leon a/b" like the original or is there only one Claire and one Leon campaign?

I can't figure out if they're saying Claire and Leon A / B have no differences, or if Leon and Claire have only one campaign each with little to no differences

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
I think they meant 6 hours for the first character on the first run. If they beat both in under six hours, then that would mean they got A ranks for both scenarios on the first attempt, which is really unlikely.

The other reviews mention that the first attempt for both characters last well over 10 hours.
Someone in the other thread mentioned someone getting an s ranking on their first play through and it was around 4 hours i think.
It was confirmed by the insider on this forum who said they leaked it by mistake but they said that person was good at resident evil games but not a speed runner.
Resident evil 2 was always a really short game though so anything around 5/6 hours sounds good for a first run.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
YES IGN CONFIRMS UNLOCAKBLE FIXED CAMERAS!!!'

..."It turns out that the other perspective I wanted does exist, but it's confusingly hidden behind each character's second Game mode. You have to play through as Leon once to unlock the second version as Leon, and the same for Claire. That's annoying, and it's completely baffling that Capcom set it up this way instead of just letting us play the alternate perspective on our second playthrough as the second character, but at least you'll finally get to see some new areas and there is the promise of an alternate ending. This mode isn't entirely new, though, and there is still a lot of overlap in the puzzle solving."

That's all I wanted and cared about. Thank you Capcom!!!

EDIT: FUCK ME. Ignore me. I keep wanting it to be real so bad, but the IGN reviewer just confused me and he's commenting on the 1st and 2nd runs in the game that mimic A/B scenarios. I'm going to cry.

let it go bruh

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I'm a little gutted that the giant spiders and moth don't feature anymore. That moth room was... highly memorable *shivers*.

On the flip side, being able to mix red and blue herbs is mental.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I want to play this game right now. Congrats to Capcom for their beautiful return since 2017. 2019 starts very strongly for them with this + DMC V in spring.
Can't wait to see what else they have in store...

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
6-8 hours on a a first run with playtimes as low as 3 hours for experienced players is totally fine with me. There's been enough long games recently. I'm down for something short, well paced, densely packed and highly replayable.

3 is a little too low. You'll need at least 5-6 hours just based on story alone, doesn't matter the player. Second playthrough is the one that varies because you'll know where everything is but it'll just be much, much harder. So it could be anywhere from 3-6 hours. Overall though, 10-12 hours minimum, it's a good amount of time.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also Dark1x is joining me this friday on the podcast and you can bet we will be talking about this game lol

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Wait what a full play through is only 6 hours? I'm just playing through resident evil 4 for the first time and I've played over 20 hours at the moment. Was hoping resident evil 2 would be of similar length 😔

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Good scores. What's the word on the difficulty? Demo got me worried, it was so easy with so much ammo around you could kill everything twice.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Are both campaigns significantly distinct or is there so much overlap that only a very small portion of Leon's and Claire's campaigns differ?

I think so. The game essentially has two modes - First Run and Second Run. First Run has the player running through the front of the RPD, and finishes the story at the end of their specific end boss.

Second Run has the player running through the back of the RPD, and finishes the story after their specific end boss and at the general, actual final boss. This is what the game calls the "true ending".

If you play as Leon, you'll play the same story beats. You'll meet Ada and Ben and Kendo and fight certain bosses. You'll be able to explore specific areas of the RPD that Claire can't.

I am making a mess of this explanation but they feel different enough.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I beat the story from Leon's point of view in eight hours, which felt a little short, but I was excited to fire up Claire's campaign and see the fateful evening's events unfold from an entirely new perspective. Unfortunately, that's not what we get -- at least not when we should.

it turns out that the other perspective I wanted does exist, but it's confusingly hidden behind each character's second Game mode. You have to play through as Leon once to unlock the second version as Leon, and the same for Claire. That's annoying, and it's completely baffling that Capcom set it up this way instead of just letting us play the alternate perspective on our second playthrough as the second character, but at least you'll finally get to see some new areas and there is the promise of an alternate ending

So according to ign, it sounds like A + B scenario's are in but they made it slightly odd how to access them, not as you would expect them to work.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, console versions don't have a 30fps/4K or 60fps/1080p options. The game seems to just be at the 60fps option and that's it.

Anything about the consistency of the base consoles? Do they both maintain 60? Basically wondering if it's the same performance on base systems as the demo or if either improved at all.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Any performance details yet??

VG Tech video shows Pro struggling in some areas while X maintains a nearly perfect 60. As with the demo, this flips regarding cutscenes, where the X drops a bit more. X also looks softer. Appears everyone claiming the demo was a super old build and the final game would be miles better were a bit off the mark.

WARNING: SKIP TO 2:45 to avoid the intro movie.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very disappointing to hear that the framerate doesn't seem to have been ironed out for base Xbox One and PS4 systems. According to ACG's review, framerate is unlocked on all consoles, but like the demo, the base consoles struggle between 30 to 50 throughout with very few instances of it actually hitting 60.

I think we've reached a point where developers are hitting the wall in terms of what they can pull off on these aging base consoles. Maybe they should give people the option of locking the framerate to 30?

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
On the Skill Up review he's referring to the game having some sort of "timer"...is he talking about our friendly neighborhood trench coat stalking friend?

Oct 27, 2017
SoTC I can understand since it's like a Halo: Anniversary situation but Kiwami 2 should have been eligible.

As should RE2make as this is practically a new entry in the franchise.

Yeah RE2 should absolutely be eligible, but it's the exclusion of Kiwami 2 that has me concerned. Though I guess Pokemon Let's Go was on the top 20 and that was also a remake? If Kiwami 2 was eligible it would have beaten Let's Go iirc

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think so. The game essentially has two modes - First Run and Second Run. First Run has the player running through the front of the RPD, and finishes the story at the end of their specific end boss.

Second Run has the player running through the back of the RPD, and finishes the story after their specific end boss and at the general, actual final boss. This is what the game calls the "true ending".

If you play as Leon, you'll play the same story beats. You'll meet Ada and Ben and Kendo and fight certain bosses. You'll be able to explore specific areas of the RPD that Claire can't.

I am making a mess of this explanation but they feel different enough.
Thank you. I understand better now. So they're definitely more distinct than the previous campaigns in the original game?