• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think RE2's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 467 21.8%
  • 89-92

Votes: 1,050 49.1%
  • 85-88

Votes: 500 23.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 77 3.6%
  • <80

Votes: 45 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
VG Tech and Candyland have comparisons up. VG Tech seems to indicate the softness of the X version still being there. I'll wait for DF for the final verdict but this might be a Pro purchase.
Seems to be a theme going on here with Japanese made games, which makes sense. We just had it with ace combat.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
My review at Ars Technica: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/01/resident-evil-2-remake-review-itll-thrill-you-itll-annoy-you/

Backtracking, fetch quests, and serviceable boss fights see Capcom leaving much of the game in the "just good enough" pile (and, honestly, padding each runthrough's 12-hour time estimate). RE2 is by no means a modern reinvention of the horror wheel, unlike the jaw-dropping success of RE7 or the creeping-dread experimentation of Konami's P.T.
Instead, it's as good of a stopgap horror game as we're likely to see for some time. Capcom has made the welcome decision of marrying existing plot, concept, and mechanics with an abundance of polish—and not overselling the results. If that sounds good enough to you, prepare to enjoy RE2's equal mix of comfort and spine-tingling discomfort.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
So glad to be proven wrong, I wanted it to be high but guessed low.

Already pre-ordered last week so I'm glad I feel a bit validated in that choice.

Crmetteer

Oct 25, 2017
YES IGN CONFIRMS UNLOCAKBLE FIXED CAMERAS!!!'

..."It turns out that the other perspective I wanted does exist, but it's confusingly hidden behind each character's second Game mode. You have to play through as Leon once to unlock the second version as Leon, and the same for Claire. That's annoying, and it's completely baffling that Capcom set it up this way instead of just letting us play the alternate perspective on our second playthrough as the second character, but at least you'll finally get to see some new areas and there is the promise of an alternate ending. This mode isn't entirely new, though, and there is still a lot of overlap in the puzzle solving."

That's all I wanted and cared about. Thank you Capcom!!!
You might want to re-read that with the context of the previous paragraph...

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Reviewers, answer me this:

How is the cutscene showing Hunk's team being wiped out handled?

It was a great moment in RE2, flubbed in Darkside Chronicles, and the snippets we've seen from RE2make look very... unstylized. Like found footage with no music or cinematography.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys know Resident Evil 1 and 2 were always short back then?
Could complete each game in 2 1/2 hours.
(Yes I know the remake is a bit different....)

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not but you're welcome either way

Sarcasm? Why? lol

I'm just glad I'm knowing this before playing so I won't expect these enemies anymore, it's disapointing now which is better than when I'm actually playing the game.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

The remake one of the best game in history deserved. RE Team/Capcom = Love :)

Oct 27, 2017
It's nowhere near as bad as Alien Isolation. I was just using it to try and describe it. I almost regret bringing it up here now becuase it seems to be all that anyone is focusing on.

Mr. X might get in the way of a puzzle or too, but IMO the fun is in losing him before trying to solve the puzzle, or even just downing him with a few pistol shots to do so.

Gotcha, yeah, I'm still excited as hell to play it since RE2 was by far my favorite of the series. More than likely, I'll get used to it.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I said 90,by the end will be between 90 and 92,my track with metacritic predication so far is really good.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Same as I was expecting it!

But good lord, I can't stand watching the reviews. Not a fan of the complete darkness + flashlight combo.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I plan on taking my time but were people expecting this to be significantly longer than the original?

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's nowhere near as bad as Alien Isolation. I was just using it to try and describe it. I almost regret bringing it up here now becuase it seems to be all that anyone is focusing on.

Mr. X might get in the way of a puzzle or too, but IMO the fun is in losing him before trying to solve the puzzle, or even just downing him with a few pistol shots to do so.
Don't you dare say "as bad as Alien Isolation" as if that game wasn't fantastic with what it did!

Or do you mean it doesn't do it as much as Alien Isolation?

ket

Jul 27, 2018

can Mr. X follow you into save rooms?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I don't care about length as long as the game is very replayable.

Based on the demo I know you can skip almost all cinematics, so that's already a big plus for replay value.

soulzonik

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
My review:

https://psxbrasil.com.br/analises/analise-resident-evil-2/ - 98%

Verdict:

Resident Evil 2 is an excellent game. The Survival Horror that fans wanted so much is here, the technical aspect is impressive and the various campaigns (even if they have very similar elements) increase the lifespan considerably. Although the remake is not exactly identical to the original, the essence of the 1998 game remains present. Resident Evil 2 is a must-have title in your collection.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Like in the original, do decisions in Leon or Claire's campaign about taking the inventory expansion or gun affect the other play through?

This was discussed pre-release, but no. There are no major decisions that carry between the scenarios. Both characters expand their inventory in their own campaigns by finding Side Packs, but nothing like that. Every character has their own weapon sets this time around.

As Dusk Golem said in another thread, think they planned to do this but decided to just go with the streamlined approach. I honestly prefer it.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Oh ok thanks, didn't know there are two campaigns.

Mm-hm. It's Leon and Claire. You can choose which one to play first but whichever one you choose first, the second one will be much harder. So the first playthrough might be 6 hours or so but the second playthrough will be much longer due to difficulty.