• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think RE2's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 467 21.8%
  • 89-92

Votes: 1,050 49.1%
  • 85-88

Votes: 500 23.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 77 3.6%
  • <80

Votes: 45 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It had an inventory screen. With items in it that you could use. I'm not sure how much managing was really required.
Well, you had to keep your case organized to hold as much as you could. Inventory was fairly limited until later in the game, and you had to choose a loadout no matter what. You couldn't carry every gun. A good example of resource management is the Rocket Launcher. You only had one shot, but it took up a ton of space. Do you take it to kill the Right Hand and struggle with inventory? Do you leave it and have a more difficult boss fight. There was also all the different types of grenades. You had to actively choose which grenades you were going to carry because realistically you could only hold a few at a time. So you would often have to switch them out and things like that.

Bullets were also easy to go through at the very beginning of the game. It was easy to run out. This is why you see everyone knife downed enemies these days. It had to do with the fact you'd be out of bullets quick in the beginning.

Neoshockwave

Oct 28, 2017
My review for PSU.

''''In many ways, Capcom has achieved the near-impossible with the remake of Resident Evil 2. It's a remarkable labour of design, iteration, faithfulness, and adaptation; a masterclass in knowing what to change, how to change it, and what to build upon. The biggest compliment that can be levelled is how the game manages to elicit the same sense of dread and consequence that made the original a classic whilst injecting just enough complexity and modern sensibility to see it emerge from the shadow of its namesake with consummate ease.''

Score:
9.5/10

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
My review for PSU.

''''In many ways, Capcom has achieved the near-impossible with the remake of Resident Evil 2. It's a remarkable labour of design, iteration, faithfulness, and adaptation; a masterclass in knowing what to change, how to change it, and what to build upon. The biggest compliment that can be levelled is how the game manages to elicit the same sense of dread and consequence that made the original a classic whilst injecting just enough complexity and modern sensibility to see it emerge from the shadow of its namesake with consummate ease.''

Score:
9.5/10
Hot damn.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair would you not say that it's definetley in a post-4 world that people started to sub-divide genres more so rather than Survival Horror there was Action Horror etc?
People did yes because back then we didn't have as much games like RE4. RE4 is much more action than survival horror. You can go through the whole game without exploring and by just following the path the developers set.
You survived based on crowd control and learning when and where to use the environment and weapons to your advantage.

As I said, it is a different kind of survival horror. But it is survival horror.
It is not.

It is like CoD zombies with its focus on action and less so on trying to survive.

Beck

Oct 27, 2017
Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5
https://www.hardcoregamer.com/2019/01/22/review-resident-evil-2/322849/

I absolutely loved it. Bosses are a little lacking and there are some weird graphical anomalies on console, but otherwise it's fantastic.

Dunno why it was reported that each campaign was 10 hours though. My first playthrough I took my sweet time, getting every little item and secret, and I finished it in exactly six hours (and one minute). Mind you, nothing wrong with that length as it's very replayable but.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Push Square gave it an 8.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/resident_evil_2

Resident Evil 2 might be one of the most accomplished remakes of the generation. A number of mechanics have been updated and introduced in order to bring the game into the modern era, but this is still very much the classic experience you remember – inventory management, limited ammunition, and all. Capcom has lovingly recreated every historic location and moment you remember from 1998, and you owe it to yourself to witness that spectacle first-hand.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

tenor.gif

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Press Start Australia gave it a 10.

Resident Evil 2 takes a masterpiece and twists it until it resembles something completely new without betraying the spirit of the original. There's some very, very minor cuts that'll no doubt upset some fans; but these are ultimately unnoticeable as what Capcom has offered up is an absolute triumph. Resident Evil 2 provides a new way to experience a classic and a very welcome reminder that the old style of Resident Evil is not dead. If anything, it's finally back.

https://press-start.com.au/reviews/...l-2-review-like-reliving-a-perfect-nightmare/

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Aoife Wilson's review at Eurogamer

Part of Resident Evil's challenge is weighing up the risk versus reward of travelling back through an infested area knowing full well that you may well end up having to use a healing item or spend more bullets than you can technically afford. That is, of course, part of the game's long-lasting appeal and though this Resident Evil 2 is a beautiful and at times incredibly modern-feeling game, beneath its new and impeccably polished trappings you can still feel the beating heart of the classic and increasingly aged framework it's built on.

But that framework is precisely what made the original Resident Evil 2 such a stone cold classic, and though some story beats have been streamlined and some gameplay mechanics have been embellished or added to, this is a reimagining that sticks remarkably close to its source material. Even better, it toes the line between schlocky and scary that the older Resident Evil games managed so well, and does so in perhaps one of the most atmospheric settings ever to grace a survival horror game. It's good to be back in the RPD. Just be sure to bring a pen and paper with you.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-22-resident-evil-2-review