• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from how there isn't much difference between the different scenarios, I think the remake is still pretty much better across the board.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Marshalling Yard that's in the original for all of two minutes? Seriously? Best thing about it was the music:

If you're using the classic OST in the remake, this actually plays in the chess puzzle room of the sewers.

I know the song plays with the OST enabled in the chess puzzle room. And although the Marshalling Yard was definitely a very short moment, I expected them to expand upon it. What I really loved about briefly being there in the original was the awesome music, the fact that you're outside just before getting into the tram (I always wondered where in the city this was relative to the RPD and other parts you explored earlier in the game - it definitely piqued my imagination), and the unexpected encounter with Mr. X.

I fully agree it was short, which is why I thought they would've expanded it instead of doing away with that transition entirely and going for an expanded sewers. I understand why they went the route they did, I just happen to find the expanded sewers of REmake 2 to be much less satisfying.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
There were a lot of missed opportunities with the remake, despite it being perhaps the best iteration of the classic formula yet. Or second to it.

The marshalling yard in particular should have been part of a larger factory area, which you can see in 1.5, and was probably at one point considered for 2 before being streamlined to get the game out ASAP. It would explain why the key to call the elevator/car was just sitting in the previous room - it could have required you to explore a separate area to ultimately find. There are also maps labeled "factory," which are just hallways that were probably repurposed.

I was also disappointed with the lab. It's extremely limited and more futuristic in a way that feels out almost out of place in the game it's in. They made a big point out of the game featuring 90s technology, but that ended half way through. They instead went for something cold and sterile, but I don't think the voice they have following you throughout is appropriately creepy (delivery?), and I think the heavily industrial original was more interesting. It was also originally much larger, and I think that would have been a more satisfying final area than what we got. The plant enemies were fine, but the game needed a more frightening area to follow them. Think the nest-like area in Alien Isolation, perhaps somewhere "deeper" in the lab. Then there's the lack of music to sell the narrative ... and the de-emphasis of the Birkin plotline.

The story also doesn't quite work as well as the original, but I'll post more on that later. Claire's story in particular is a bummer.

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I know the song plays with the OST enabled in the chess puzzle room. And although the Marshalling Yard was definitely a very short moment, I expected them to expand upon it. What I really loved about briefly being there in the original was the awesome music, the fact that you're outside just before getting into the tram (I always wondered where in the city this was relative to the RPD and other parts you explored earlier in the game - it definitely piqued my imagination), and the unexpected encounter with Mr. X.

I fully agree it was short, which is why I thought they would've expanded it instead of doing away with that transition entirely and going for an expanded sewers. I understand why they went the route they did, I just happen to find the expanded sewers of REmake 2 to be much less satisfying.
Hmm... yeah, I get what you mean. If they had expanded upon it, it'd probably have been a pretty memorable location. True. Would I have preferred that over the expanded sewers? I'll never know, sadly, but it would've been interesting.

Oh yeah, and there's actually something I forgot to mention that helps your point: the Marshalling Yard shares continuity with Resident Evil 0, since it appears there as well, which is pretty cool. I played 0 before 2, so I got the nice effect of seeing a familiar area, but in reverse:

latest

It's definitely a shame that this continuity is now gone as a result of the Marshalling Yard being absent from the remake, but I'm able to forgive it, being that RE0 is, in my opinion, quite bad.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm... yeah, I get what you mean. If they had expanded upon it, it'd probably have been a pretty memorable location. True. Would I have preferred that over the expanded sewers? I'll never know, sadly, but it would've been interesting.

Oh yeah, and there's actually something I forgot to mention that helps your point: the Marshalling Yard shares continuity with Resident Evil 0, since it appears there as well, which is pretty cool. I played 0 before 2, so I got the nice effect of seeing a familiar area, but in reverse:

latest

It's definitely a shame that this continuity is now gone as a result of the Marshalling Yard being absent from the remake, but I'm able to forgive it, being that RE0 is, in my opinion, quite bad.
Yeah I mentioned that earlier in the thread lol as if 0 doesn't already stretch the map layout to unbelievable extents to convince the player that it somehow links to Raccoon City, REmake 2 effectively retcons it haha

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More streets before the RPD
Longer tram section that made some stops along the way before reaching the lab

Just to name a few where some new smaller areas would fit in.

I'd be ok with no 2nd Run if Leon's and Clair's games were more unique.
Agree with all of your ideas. Would've been awesome if the tram unexpectedly stopped and you had to find your way to the lab by different means and locations

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It seems that my memory served me incorrectly and convinced me that everything between the A and B scenarios of the original translated roughly 1:1. Turns out similar to REmake 2, things are also inconsistent there.

However, despite that, there are still enough satisfying differences between both scenarios of the original game. Unfortunately I don't quite feel that way with the REmake 2.

Exactly. The effort on A/B in the original is good but it still doesn't fit together like it should. My hope with the remake was that they would put the work in to slot everything together more seamlessly. Instead they managed to make it even worse than the original.

Nov 3, 2017
So if I am only planning on playing through one scenario for each character does it make sense to play through an A / B combo or just A for both?

I am halfway through a Claire A run if it matters, really like the game so far but doubtful I will complete 4 playthroughs.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So if I am only planning on playing through one scenario for each character does it make sense to play through an A / B combo or just A for both?

I am halfway through a Claire A run if it matters, really like the game so far but doubtful I will complete 4 playthroughs.
Do A/B combo, as you'll have the full story that way. So play Leon B after.

latest

If they ever remake 0, they can still find some way to tie it to Raccoon City / RE2-R. Look at how immense the underground lab area was in RE2-R. You could imagine the RE0 mansion labs also having a tramway that went down to the giant Raccoon City lab area. There's something that could be done there.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
You know what wold made the game perfect to me?

INCLUDING THE ORIGINAL GAME.

Many remakes do this. Why remakes of PS1 games (Crash, MediEvil and Spyro are guilty as well) NEVER include the original?
I'm pretty sure there was still psace on the disc and modern console can emulate the PS1 like a breeze.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
You know what wold made the game perfect to me?

INCLUDING THE ORIGINAL GAME.

Many remakes do this. Why remakes of PS1 games (Crash, MediEvil and Spyro are guilty as well) NEVER include the original?
I'm pretty sure there was still psace on the disc and modern console can emulate the PS1 like a breeze.
The MediEvil remake DOES include the original PS1 game as a bonus :V

Crash/Spyro could've been a cavalcade of rights issues that I'm sure no one wanted to deal with tbh.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Are you playing the remake or the original?

For the remake both playthroughs are the same. You just unlock a different ending cutscene.

Nov 3, 2017
Playing the remake. Are the story beats the same between an A and B playthrough? Its just a remix of item locations and enemies correct?

Last edited:

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland

If you're talking about the original, play Claire A/Leon B (or Leon A/Claire B), since those two scenarios complete each other and you fight against different bosses.

If you're talking about the Remake, the 2nd run is more an arrange mode - the story is the same as in 1st run (the only difference is you don't talk with Marvin), bosses are the same etc. The only difference between 1st and 2nd run is items locations, you get a different basic weapon and you start in a different location (which means you solve puzzles in a different order).

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I had a blast with the game, but I'd been expecting something more. The lack of distinction between the two character playthroughs and the narrative disconnect (especially across A/B scenarios) was something that was typical of games in the 90s, but I felt like it was something they could and should have remedied in a full remake.