• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
That people should wait for actual sales figures before trying to judge how well the game is selling compared to Resident Evil 7.
The direct comparison to RE7 is here with same number of days counted.
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e170127.html
Easy. Wait for Capcom's next financial report. It'll list accurate (because lying to your investors is a no-no) sales figures for all their games. Those reports are the reason we've been able to track the long-term legs of all Capcom's games over the past several years.
Those are still shipped numbers, so changes nothing for you apparently.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a more solid game and fuller package than RE7, and that's reflected in the 91 vs. 88 Metacritic score. I'm not sure how much of a driving factor that is in sales 3 days in, but it's good that Capcom is being rewarded for their efforts. Glad RE7 hit 6 million. Survival horror should be encouraged. And I'm not sure, but it seems like both RE7 and RE2 are outpacing RE5 and 6. They have a gargantuan head start and several re-releases and sales and bundles, but 7's only 2 million away.

Will get it soon. Nice job capcom.
pls. no more walking simulation ala re7. Or make it new ip for it fans.

What color is the sky in your world?

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless they specify sell-through numbers all the numbers they show to investors is shipped so...
And the number they use in the report is still a ship number because that is how much money they make and that is all that investor care. The number they show on their platinum page is also ship number. I don't understand what r u trying to say.
Capcom's financial reports allow us to track legs. For example, we know that Resident Evil 6 HD sold 1.5 million copies. It basically sells 100-200k every financial report. It didn't matter how many copies of RE4/5/6 HD were sent to retailers. What mattered is how many were sold. (They were also limited supply, I believe, with most sales being digital.) Capcom's financial reports are ambiguous about whether they're sell-in or sell-through and they're often fuzzy about physical/digital splits, but it doesn't matter once the initial sales period is over. If a game isn't selling, retailers aren't going to order new shipments. That's how you get games with seemingly strong initial "sales", but then they fall off.

You think EA's investors care about Battlefield V's likely incredibly high sell-in numbers? No. They care about its sell-through numbers. They care about all the unsold copies sitting on shelves.
But RE7's first PR was about shipped numbers (2.5 million copies) so I don't quite understand why you can't compare it to this PR which is also abour shipped numbers.
RE7's initial shipped numbers were meaningless, though. The catch is always whether the game continues to sell since this proves the game is actually selling and not just sitting on shelves, and you track that by reading the financial reports. It's naive to compare initial sell-in figures to more initial sell-in figures. Dumping a few million copies of a game onto the market is something anyone can do. Of course it indicates confidence those copies will sell. But it doesn't PROVE those games will sell. A lot of people desperately want RE2 Remake to be a huge success, and they will prematurely embrace what is a fairly fluffy and ambiguous piece of PR.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Capcom's financial reports allow us to track legs. For example, we know that Resident Evil 6 HD sold 1.5 million copies. It basically sells 100-200k every financial report. It didn't matter how many copies of RE4/5/6 HD were sent to retailers. What mattered is how many were sold. (They were also limited supply, I believe, with most sales being digital.) Capcom's financial reports are ambiguous about whether they're sell-in or sell-through and they're often fuzzy about physical/digital splits, but it doesn't matter once the initial sales period is over. If a game isn't selling, retailers aren't going to order new shipments. That's how you get games with seemingly strong initial "sales", but then they fall off.

You think EA's investors care about Battlefield V's likely incredibly high sell-in numbers? No. They care about its sell-through numbers. They care about all the unsold copies sitting on shelves.

RE7's initial shipped numbers were meaningless, though. The catch is always whether the game continues to sell since this proves the game is actually selling and not just sitting on shelves, and you track that by reading the financial reports. It's naive to compare initial sell-in figures to more initial sell-in figures. Dumping a few million copies of a game onto the market is something anyone can do. Of course it indicates confidence those copies will sell. But it doesn't PROVE those games will sell. A lot of people desperately want RE2 Remake to be a huge success, and they will prematurely embrace what is a fairly fluffy and ambiguous piece of PR.

Dude.... you really go that far just trying to downplay this game do you. Now we get to the point where we want to wait for legs number. Damn. ( and btw all those numbers you mention are ship number. Capcom never track sold through number, actually none of the company track sold through unless it is meaningful for them. I mean look at number 100k. That is not the total unit you sold to end customer. You can guess that right? ).

Premature embrace PR number? You basically insult everyone here in this thread.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Being remake is one thing. But this is a good sign that horror old school gameplay can still sale in this generation. For sure it doesn't touch action RE number. But as long as it is good enough to be considered success that is more than anyone would hope for. RE7 -> RE2 is a good build up and put this series back into its root. And being single player game also one of the key as well.

Yeah, going back to the traditional RE-style was a risk for them given how big the action titles had become. But I also think they saw the writing on the wall in terms of budget. You aren't going to be making large setpiece games like RE6 on anything other than a massive budget. And while RE2R/RE7 certainly weren't cheap games to make, the style at least allowed Capcom to scale things down dramatically. They take place in much tighter and smaller places compared to the action trilogy.

It'd be awesome if these games did spark a revival in the traditional survival horror space. There's clearly a healthy market there for them. Although I imagine Capcom will be the primary one taking advantage of it. It's hard to imagine that EA would resurrect Dead Space, even though the original style of that game would be perfect. I know Toyama (Silent Hill/Siren creator) has expressed interest in returning to survival horror. And he'd certainly make something that's more in line with these RE games in terms of their slower pace.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Took RE6 from October 2012 to April 2013 to hit 4 mil. (Per the sales history available)

Took RE2 Remake 4 days to hit 3 mil.

q9xjyXP.gif

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
That's awesome. Glad it's doing well.
Hopefully I can start playing my copy soon. just need to finish Tales of Vesperia first.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
RE7 wss my GOTY, but I like REmake2's approach alot better, so I'm glad it's selling more. Will likely have stronger and longer legs too.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
REmake 2 is phenomenal. For me to say that my biggest complaint is that the mouse aiming on the PC version fucking sucks (and yet I was happy to play through the game twice in one weekend) should speak volumes about the quality of this incredible game.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
(and btw all those numbers you mention are ship number. Capcom never track sold through number, actually none of the company track sold through unless it is meaningful for them. I mean look at number 100k. That is not the total unit you sold to end customer. You can guess that right? ).
When we're talking about strongly digital sales such as the RE4/5/6 trilogy, they may as well be. Further, notice how the original version of Resident Evil 6 increases by 100,000 every so often? (It's up to 7.2 million now.) (Also, good old Remember Me is up to 1.2 million now.) Those are not retail sell-in numbers. Retailers are not ordering new batches of Resident Evil 6 for Xbox 360 in 2019. The game hasn't had physical print runs for years. Yet the numbers keep climbing. They're digital numbers. Steam numbers. PSN/XBL, too. (But distinct from PS4/XBO.)

The key methods for determining RE2 Remake's sales health are:

Whether the game continues to chart physically. Physical may be declining year on year, but this a big one.
Comparing sales between initial shipment, first financial report, and second financial report. The ambiguity of sell-in diminishes with time.
SteamSpy figures if we can get them. Estimates, but useful. RE2 Remake seems to be selling particularly well on Steam looking at peak player numbers. This isn't necessarily reflected in console sales, however, and we should be wary.
Premature embrace PR number? You basically insult everyone here in this thread.
I'm not insulting anyone. I'm simply pointing out a huge number of posters think this is a "huge success". They genuinely believe that the game has sold 3 million copies. But it hasn't. It's essentially meaningless in terms of actual game sales. This is nothing more than the initial shipment of physical copies sent to retailers paired with the digital sales. We have zero idea how many copies the game has sold at retail globally. We won't get a picture of the game's sales until other sources of data begin to fill in the gaps.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
These types of games are not my cup of tea anymore sadly, and the original back in 98 WAS a fav of mine, but shipping 3m is a terrific figure! Long term should do really well.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
Wow 3m shipped is impressive i was expecting less. Such an amazing game. Capcom deserves all the sales.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe this tells something about PC sales?

Concurrent player numbers:
RE7
18,211 all-time peak

RE2
74,024 all-time peak

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shipped is how much they sold to retailers, ie Capcom already made money for those three million units.
Kinda true. But if a game doesn't sell all that well, retailers can return them for a credit. It's how the biz works to ensure there's no crash. Shipped does not mean sold through and is a meaningless metric to trump in most cases.

This game will be fine.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Maybe this tells something about PC sales?

Concurrent player numbers:
RE7
18,211 all-time peak

RE2
74,024 all-time peak
I think it tells more about how people have more free time to jump in to play a game on launch day, if launch day is a Friday instead of a Tuesday. I mean, PC sales of RE2 are not 4 times as high as RE7.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Hopefully with the strong word of mouth and ongoing DLC support, in maybe 2 years it can join MHW as Capcom's second 10 million seller? Long shot, but it's a good target for Capcom to grow out of their not-quite modern AAA publisher status. The ceiling has risen for worldwide blockbusters and its nice to see Capcom trying to compete again after years of down time.

Oct 27, 2017
Hm we can phrase it in many different ways. RE7 was an experimental game which was way shorter than the last and pretty divisive because of the FP camera and return to survival horror from co-op action. Meanwhile RE2 is one of the most hyped remakes ever. Fan favourite game, characters, enemies, locations returning from PS1 with gigantic production values. (800 people worked on the game).

I'm not saying these sales are bad at all. They are quite good. RE2 is on of my favourite game of all time so I just expected (and hoped) way better thats all. With great PC sales the game pretty much stayed flat on consoles compared to RE7. Really hope it will have great legs.

What the holy shit; is this true?! That's a mammoth development team, especially for Japan.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
What the holy shit; is this true?! That's a mammoth development team, especially for Japan.
That number is meaningless, it include outsourced devs, they could have outsourced a single location for a company with 300+ devs to work on for a month and they'd all count. Dev team size doesn't say much when you include outsourced developers numbers.

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
So happy for RE2's success. I wasn't feeling RE6 or RE7 for different reasons but this game has everything I love about Resident Evil.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Love the game but probably won't finish Tyrant footsteps freak me out, so I can't hear him coming as I turn off the sound lol.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't get enough of this game. R3make needs to happen. Interconnected Raccoon City world design Ă  la Dark Souls 1.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
However, Capcom's transition from having 600 team members on Resident Evil 6 to the alleged 800 on a remake is pretty astounding
This whole article is very misleading, it's hard for anyone to play RE2 and RE6 and come up with the conclusion that RE2 was more expensive to make. It's not reflected in the content of the game and neither it is in Capcom's sales expectations. That's why using number of developers to gauge development cost is pointless when that number include outsourced development.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
These are only shipped sales, so it doesn't say anything about RE2's long term success.

However, no mainline RE has had bad legs in the last decade. RE2 will sell well into next gen, and I see it hitting 8-9 million copies. Possibly 10.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
This whole article is very misleading, it's hard for anyone to play RE2 and RE6 and come up with the conclusion that RE2 was more expensive to make. It's not reflected in the content of the game and neither it is in Capcom's sales expectations. That's why using number of developers to gauge development cost is pointless when that number include outsourced development.

I've only played the demo so far. I don't really know if its budget was bigger or smaller than RE6. I'd like to think it was smaller. I'm happy the games is a success but I had bigger expectation especially after the big growth on PC.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Great numbers!! Definitely deserved after what they've done with the game.

Now keep the good work with R3make.