• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Playing for S ranks brought back memories of how I used to play and speed run Resident Evil 0.

Tips for those who are playing for S:

-Sometimes it's good to leave story critical items in their room, just look at them so they show up on the map. For example, the large gear. I knew I didn't need it until at a very specific point and backtracking with it would waste time. This can also include mini-weapons(knives, grenades, etc), healing items, and ammo types. It's the Resident Evil 0 method of making the area your item box.

-Sometimes it's good to do things Hitman style. Plan out a run(until your next save or next story beat). Test it out, then reload your save and execute the run. This includes Mr. X, as he is flawed to obey his own A.I. pathing of pursuit. It also includes enemy spawns. There is a pattern to that as well. If you're satisfied with the amount of time spent and resources spent on that run then proceed to conquer the next section in the same manner.

-If you forgot a puzzle look it up in advance. Trying to figure it out again wastes precious minutes. It's not worth it for S rank.

-Playing the 4th Survivor mode helps. Not only does it help you know how to cheese enemies, but it helps you get used to the full game level layout and how everything easily connects.

-Don't be afraid to use the bigger guns on harder enemies(lickers and G-adults in the sewers). If you're going to engage in combat with them, you'll be wasting more rounds, herbs, and time if you try the pistol method. You'll be given enough for bosses so don't stress too much, but at the same time don't miss your shots too much. Also, for Leon in the beginning, grenades work better on lickers than shotgun hits.

-Also don't be afraid to skip non-crucial rooms if necessary. Too much time is wasted on clearing everything out when it isn't necessary to reach the next goal. You'll always have more to grab in the next section.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that's nice to know: flame rounds stun lock G monsters. As Claire I found that to be the best way to get past them. Don't know about Leon yet. Often there just isn't enough space to get around them.

Going for S+ hardcore for Claire on 2nd Run. 18 min in and the first Boss is down. I decided to get the Grenade Launcher and Sub Machine Gun too. Also made sure to kill the zombies outside the West Office, where the lickers spawn. That area is a run ender later on.

Ammo Situation:

9AB132064E5C01341B6F6C2CD92F82ED4B9BB0B6

What did you take and leave in the beginning area of 2nd run? I find that to be one of the toughest parts honestly.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
So does the Spark Shot suck or is it just me?

It's insanely powerful I've learned after a good handful of playthroughs.
- 1 shots lickers
- 1 shots g adults if hit on exposed eye
- demolishes G3 if hit on the right spots
- Gets MR X on the ground if hit on the head during survivor modes

Not worth using on normal zombies.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I was kind of hoping we'd see a bit more variety in zombies. There are a few wearing some kind of body armor but I would have loved to see something like the SWAT zombies from Left 4 Dead 2 that died wearing their full gear and could absorb tons of damage and required great aim or being tricky enough to get behind them.

OrinX

Oct 27, 2017
You seem more than good to go. One tip I have for Claire hardcore is save ALL your white gunpowder for Acid Rounds as the SMG ammo isn't that good an investment. Not only are they useful in many situations, they can eternally stunlock G3, making one of the most difficult fights a breeze (though it will take quite a lot of rounds).

Also, don't kill a single G adult in the sewers, they are a MAJOR time waster if you want to do S+ on 2nd run (any run really, just avoid them the best you can).
One thing that's nice to know: flame rounds stun lock G monsters. As Claire I found that to be the best way to get past them. Don't know about Leon yet. Often there just isn't enough space to get around them.

What did you take and leave in the beginning area of 2nd run? I find that to be one of the toughest parts honestly.

I damn took near everything. I think i left a FA spray in the main lobby, a herb in the room where the c4 control switch is, and a red herb in the STARS office. I had to take notes on what to pick up the first time around, so i don't lock myself out of a key item and have to discard precious ammo/healing items.

Jerrod

Dec 24, 2017
I'm Curious. Not sure if this has been talked about yet. I haven't gotten a chance to test this yet myself, but has anyone been able to shove off zombies if they're attacked from the side consistently? Supposedly if you're attacked from the sides(back or front doesn't seem to work) you can actually shove the zombie off to avoid an attack if you move the left analog stick in the opposite direction of the zombie (i want to say). This could be an assisted mode only thing (which i never played) so may not be technically feasible for most if true, but would seem like a fair implementation to utilize. Here's the video that shows it in action (also have it set start at what i'm referring to)

This happened to me once while running through the streets to the police station at the beginning. I thought the game was just giving me a freebie though because you have no health or defense items and very limited ammo (I was playing on Standard difficulty). Outside that situation though, it might be tied to assisted mode or the adaptive difficulty.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm just 4 achievements away from getting 1000/1000 Gamerscore on the Xbox One X version of the game (I platinumed the PS4 Pro version the week it came out). I'm at 57/58 on documents, and I know for sure I picked up the letters between Claire and Leon in their respective 2nd Runs. Wondering where the hell my final missing document is at... Didn't struggle with the trophy on the PS4 version, but my first couple of runs on X were completely speed runs and other specialized runs. I've done a couple of "comb" runs where I've just taken my time trying to collect documents now, and just can't remember where the last one is at. I'm also missing a Mr. Raccoon somewhere and I can't figure out where.

Then after that, just need Hardcore runs with each character and I'm set! 1000/1000 ahoy!

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
I'm just 4 achievements away from getting 1000/1000 Gamerscore on the Xbox One X version of the game (I platinumed the PS4 Pro version the week it came out). I'm at 57/58 on documents, and I know for sure I picked up the letters between Claire and Leon in their respective 2nd Runs. Wondering where the hell my final missing document is at... Didn't struggle with the trophy on the PS4 version, but my first couple of runs on X were completely speed runs and other specialized runs. I've done a couple of "comb" runs where I've just taken my time trying to collect documents now, and just can't remember where the last one is at. I'm also missing a Mr. Raccoon somewhere and I can't figure out where.

Then after that, just need Hardcore runs with each character and I'm set! 1000/1000 ahoy!
I found it easy to miss the Raccoon and file
On the orphanage second floor as Claire.

Other than that, I have no clue...

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I'm struggling a bit with this on normal. The game is weird. It's not RE2 and it's not RE4... but it's both at times. In RE2 I can run around zombies and avoid taking damage from most enemies, by running past them. But it's way harder to avoid enemies in this (imo). So I kinda have to kill stuff. Some zombies I'll stagger with a headshot or two and run past, but there are areas where that's not practical. And I keep getting into trouble with areas where it throws a comical amount of enemies at you. The latest was
the kennel and parking garage. Seriously that was so stupid and gamey. There were three fucking dogs in the kennel when I walked through, so I brought enough ammo for those and a possible licker encounter... so my Matilda was mostly full and I had 4 shotgun shells. Should have been fine but actually there were a million frigging dogs lol wtf. I ran out of ammo and took damage in the garage right before the ladder. And you have to kill the dogs... idk it just took a really tense, cool moment (I landed perfect shots in the generator room) and made it dumb.
I want to conserve ammo but I feel like I can't avoid enemies like you can in OG RE2. Zombies following you through doors and their aggressive bullet sponge nature is fucking awesome (this game is fucking awesome) but I can't figure out how to play it. It's not RE2 and it's not RE4. It's this weird hybrid.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm struggling a bit with this on normal. The game is weird. It's not RE2 and it's not RE4... but it's both at times. In RE2 I can run around zombies and avoid taking damage from most enemies, by running past them. But it's way harder to avoid enemies in this (imo). So I kinda have to kill stuff. Some zombies I'll stagger with a headshot or two and run past, but there are areas where that's not practical. And I keep getting into trouble with areas where it throws a comical amount of enemies at you. The latest was
the kennel and parking garage. Seriously that was so stupid and gamey. There were three fucking dogs in the kennel when I walked through, so I brought enough ammo for those and a possible licker encounter... so my Matilda was mostly full and I had 4 shotgun shells. Should have been fine but actually there were a million frigging dogs lol wtf. I ran out of ammo and took damage in the garage right before the ladder. And you have to kill the dogs... idk it just took a really tense, cool moment (I landed perfect shots in the generator room) and made it dumb.
I want to conserve ammo but I feel like I can't avoid enemies like you can in OG RE2. Zombies following you through doors and their aggressive bullet sponge nature is fucking awesome (this game is fucking awesome) but I can't figure out how to play it. It's not RE2 and it's not RE4. It's this weird hybrid.

It's not difficult to avoid all the lickers and dogs in this game as well as many of the zombies. Some zombies and ivys need to be staggered or even destroyed, and using some sort of weapon on some G Adults makes them easier to escape. Worst case is you'll take a few hits, but there's tons of healing items.

It is harder to avoid enemies than in OG RE2, though, where the camera angles, enemy tracking, and enemy speed all made it trivial to run past everything.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Oh cool thanks, although i just thought of something, i cant use the pistol for minimalist because i would have to open the box but oh well
Good point, I haven't attempted these since I'm working on my 4th hardcore S+ run and haven't gotten around to the weird requirements yet. I haven't even considered how I'd go about my routes without being able to store anything. Definitely seems like something I'd do in standard if not assisted mode.

Oct 25, 2017
On Claire's 2nd run, I'm struggle with chess puzzle at Monitor Room. Can anyone just give me a straight answer to this?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
On Claire's 2nd run, I'm struggle with chess puzzle at Monitor Room. The riddle is still confusing me.
Edit: My one hint:
Keep the pawn in the same place. Everything else is up to you.

If you'd like me to spoil the answer:

_____Hint Board_____
King . . . . . Knight
Bishop . . . . . Rook
Queen . . . . . Pawn
} . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .[==]

} = Locked Door
[==] = Item Box

Last edited:

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
My one major annoyance with the game so far is that sprint is a shitty toggle and they don't have "hold to sprint" as an option for those of us who have paddles. Click L3 to sprint is filth. And having to let go of directional input to cancel sprint is trash tier game design. Pure clunk.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
My one major annoyance with the game so far is that sprint is a shitty toggle and they don't have "hold to sprint" as an option for those of us who have paddles. Click L3 to sprint is filth. And having to let go of directional input to cancel sprint is trash tier game design. Pure clunk.

What about the control option to hold R1 to run?

I turned that on immediately, I've never been comfortable with clicking a stick for it.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost done Leon A HC. 2:12 at the save point before G3

Should still be able to do it yeah?

Also I'm getting better at G3. Went from dying right away to getting him down twice (and once saw his final phase I think).

Only have a Red/Blue/Green combined herb and I'm on caution health. So that's how dire it looks but I think if I can get past G3, I'll probably be able to beat it.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot believe hold to sprint was there in the options this whole time. I'm such a dumb ass. Avoiding zombies is so much easier now. I might restart. Plus I wasted a bunch of ammo on the tyrant. For some reason I thought you could down him... must have confused him with Nemesis and I'm misremembering.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I'm almost done Leon A HC. 2:12 at the save point before G3

Should still be able to do it yeah?

Also I'm getting better at G3. Went from dying right away to getting him down twice (and once saw his final phase I think).

Only have a Red/Blue/Green combined herb and I'm on caution health. So that's how dire it looks but I think if I can get past G3, I'll probably be able to beat it.

On my S+ run with Leon, I was able to beat G3 and Tyrant using only two full heals, so it's totally doable. Tyrant is surprisingly not that hard to dodge for the most part. Just don't get greedy and try to be half of the platform away from him whenever he starts an attack. He'll have trouble hitting you if you run past his left side.