• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I played on Xbox. The only time I used the knife (outside of using it defensively) is the very beginning of G1 since he's stuck in the opening animation for a good chunk of time.

I took a brief overview, and I feel I won't have trouble doing this - but my only issue is the sewers and the G-Adults. Do you have a general strat for when you encounter them - especially the tunnel before the flamethrower?

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm very pleasantly surprised by what a breath of fresh air its length has been for me.

I've been getting tons of enjoyment out of beating the game in various ways, 4th Survivor and everything. I really missed this type of 'compact', yet addictive, style and didn't really know it.

Love how intimate and kind of...cozy...this feels again.

Oct 25, 2017
I took a brief overview, and I feel I won't have trouble doing this - but my only issue is the sewers and the G-Adults. Do you have a general strat for when you encounter them - especially the tunnel before the flamethrower?

Ah yes, I guess I didn't really type out what I did there since that part is pretty ingrained in my head. That part is actually not too bad once you know the G-adult behaviors. I also opted not to bring my handgun during the sewers because I needed to free up 5 spaces for all chess pieces and flamethrower.

So for the G-adults, the first one you encounter is after you drop down from the little platform. It'll be slightly submerged in the water. Get kind of close to it, fire a shot, and during its rising animation, rush past it (make sure to run along its tiny right hand). The next one is coming in from the little alcove where you can pick up magnum rounds. I chose not to get the magnum rounds because I would have gotten boxed in by two G-adults. So instead, I ran a little to my left and just ran past its tiny right hand. You might get grabbed regardless so bring one defensive item that you don't mind discarding if you don't get grabbed. After you're done with the second one, you're pretty much in the home stretch because the last one is coming out of the sewer pipe and is stuck in that animation.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
The Ada section doesn't have health but it does have multiple ammo pickups and a flash grenade.

While the Ada section isn't great, it's better than the Ada section in the original game IMO. The Sherry section on the other hand. I regret ever complaining about the box pushing in the original.

While the Ada section is definitely more frustrating than the Sherry section, I think from a gameplay standpoint its far more interesting than Sherry's section (which is tedious) but from a narrative standpoint I think the Sherry section blows the doors off of the Ada section in that it's just far more interesting.

Playing with the OG music is honestly one of the reasons why I might revisit those two scenarios
Trust me, OG music plus OG costumes makes for one helluva nostalgia run.

I think where I land with the OG OST vs New OST, I prefer the lowkey ambient nature of the new OST up until
I get to the sewers
. From that point onward there's just something about the moodier more bombastic nature of the OG OST that works so much better with the rest of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
While the Ada section is definitely more frustrating than the Sherry section, I think from a gameplay standpoint its far more interesting than Sherry's section (which is tedious) but from a narrative standpoint I think the Sherry section blows the doors off of the Ada section in that it's just far more interesting.

I agree with this. All of the lore explored in Sherry's section really expanded on Chief Irons and how fucked up he and Umbrella are.

I do want to add that a cool little touch in the Ada section
are the notes you picked up before the incinerator. You'd think they're just notes from sewer workers talking about the NEST keycard writsbands, but it's heavily implied that Annette was the one who left them for Ada to pick up to lure her there.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Fourth Survivor AHHHHHHHHH

I made it to the second floor of the RPD and died

For tips i can recommend watching a no-damage run to see some pointers on where to use the grenades and what fights you can just run past. Other than that, for normal runs the herbs are best used on the rooms where you know you will have to face a lot of enemies.
I used them at the first bridge with tons of dogs and then at the rest at the very end.

Last edited:

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Started my 4th playthrough, going for S+ Hardcore now, Claire A. Made it just before Birkin 1 in 24 minutes before saving, felt good about that. I plan on saving before each Birkin fight, but man the more I think about it the more I realize the trek between Birkin 1 and 2 is going to be long and hellish. Lab should be pretty easy.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Started my 4th playthrough, going for S+ Hardcore now, Claire A. Made it just before Birkin 1 in 24 minutes before saving, felt good about that. I plan on saving before each Birkin fight, but man the more I think about it the more I realize the trek between Birkin 1 and 2 is going to be long and hellish. Lab should be pretty easy.

Remember you only have max 3 saves for S+ and your fighting Birkin basically five times as Claire.

EDIT: sorry 4 times in A scenario.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Whats the best way to deal with Mr.X? I just cant seem to escape. Any tips
If you don't mind using some ammo, you can pump some damage into him and he will eventually take a knee and stay where he is for a substantial amount of time (guessing either 30 sec or 1 min). I think it's like 2 or 3 magnum headshots will down him, or 2 or 3 acid/fire grenades if you're Claire. You can use that time to run and put a few rooms between him and you and then start walking around so he doesn't detect you.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If you don't mind using some ammo, you can pump some damage into him and he will eventually take a knee and stay where he is for a substantial amount of time (guessing either 30 sec or 1 min). I think it's like 2 or 3 magnum headshots will down him, or 2 or 3 acid/fire grenades if you're Claire. You can use that time to run and put a few rooms between him and you and then start walking around so he doesn't detect you.

That 30 sec to 1 minute seems really long, he starts chasing me again real quick after I've kneeled him, maybe 15 seconds. Havent really timed.

Doesnt feel like 1 minute, that is a lot of time to escape.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
That 30 sec to 1 minute seems really long, he starts chasing me again real quick after I've kneeled him, maybe 15 seconds. Havent really timed.

Doesnt feel like 1 minute, that is a lot of time to escape.
Yeah you're right, a minute is way off. I think because I would be looking at my map and planning so much that added more time in my head, but somewhere between 15-30 more accurate.

Oct 25, 2017
Kneeling him (or flashbang) gives you enough time to lose him, but there are certain sections where he will show up no matter what even if he's halfway across the station.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
Fourth Survivor AHHHHHHHHH

I made it to the second floor of the RPD and died

I have some tips in my post history, but I like the one that another poster suggested, looking at No Damage Runs.

What you'll learn is that you can run past most things in 4th Survivor. In fact, you should be able to make to the Police Station with a completely full inventory with no damage.

When is Ghost Survivors dropping?

Friday.

Whats the best way to deal with Mr.X? I just cant seem to escape. Any tips

Plan your routes, and escape to a safe room, which he cannot enter, until he goes away. Easy-peasy. Do not waste ammo on him.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I'm at work but I can't stop thinking about going home and playing the game. But I'm invited at s friend's place. I told him I can't stay for long ( need to find that Queen piece in the Sewer ).

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Kneeling him (or flashbang) gives you enough time to lose him, but there are certain sections where he will show up no matter what even if he's halfway across the station.
Oh believe me I know, dude gave me the Kool-Aid Man scare.

If you're gunning straight for the objectives on A scenarios, losing him once is really all you need though.

Tapada

Oct 28, 2017
I'm at work but I can't stop thinking about going home and playing the game. But I'm invited at s friend's place. I told him I can't stay for long ( need to find that Queen piece in the Sewer ).

Yeah, me too. This game have that discovery aspect to it which hooks me. The progression is very good.
I wish I had friends close to where I live so I can invite them to play this everyday. It's scary going in alone ahaha.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Remember you only have max 3 saves for S+ and your fighting Birkin basically five times as Claire.

EDIT: sorry 4 times in A scenario.
I know.
3 and 4 are close enough together and 4 is kind of a cake walk so that's why I didn't mention it.
I'm not too worried about the Birkin fights, I've got them down pretty well, and if I'm saving right before them there's not much consequence if I screw up.

Although I could make a 2nd save at the sewers if I wanted to space out my saves more evenly, that might be the smarter thing to do.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I know.
3 and 4 are close enough together and 4 is kind of a cake walk so that's why I didn't mention it.
I'm not too worried about the Birkin fights, I've got them down pretty well, and if I'm saving right before them there's not much consequence if I screw up.

Although I could make a 2nd save at the sewers if I wanted to space out my saves more evenly, that might be the smarter thing to do.

Cool, yeah that might be a good plan or at least saving at a part where you fear you might die.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I checked out one of his RE2 speedruns before and while he is def a pro at doing this, he also uses the knife trick which isn't possible in the PS4 version of the game. Thanks for linking this tho.
They only use the knife strat in two locations, but if you want regular no damage runs, his first RE2 video is a Leon no damage run was made before the broken knife was discovered.

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely though I think most do the run on PC since you can do the exploit

I still think its doable with or without the infinite knife but the challenge goes higher
Cool. I just remebered Carci saying in one of his first runs that he wasn't sure because of enemy placement and behaviour or something. Can't wait to see those runs (not trying them myself though lol)!

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its annoying you just cant enjoy the game or explore the rooms. He keeps coming. Even with puzzles (like the one to reach clocktower)
He keeps running behind me :(

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
Its annoying you just cant enjoy the game or explore the rooms. He keeps coming. Even with puzzles (like the one to reach clocktower)
He'll be gone in no time, and you will be able to explore RPD without him. Just try to stay calm, maybe bait him into rooms where you have an easy escape route. Flashbangs give you enough time to get away (just be careful, he can throw blind punches while stunned). Also, he won't follow you into safe rooms, the STARS office, the clock tower and the observation room.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having beaten the game a few times, Mr. X is just a mild inconvenience now. There are a bunch of rooms he can't enter, so it's just a matter of charting path between those rooms to get where you need to go. If he gets on your tail, just duck into a safe area and wait for him to leave. And he's only around for what, like 5% of the game?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Abuse safe rooms (mainly the dark room since its the easiest and links to all the important areas easily)

When he leaves WALK and dont shoot guns if you can help it

Running and shooting helps him zero in on you

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Having beaten the game a few times, Mr. X is just a mild inconvenience now. There are a bunch of rooms he can't enter, so it's just a matter of charting path between those rooms to get where you need to go. If he gets on your tail, just duck into a safe area and wait for him to leave. And he's only around for what, like 5% of the game?

That's why they need a DLC mode where he has no limits and can go in any room.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Slowly making my way through this, just made my way through the greenhouse area.

Yo. Those freakin....plant monster zombies?? WTF. And the music/screams that play??

My god.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I'm loving the game but Mr. X is easily the most annoying thing about the game. He was scary at first but now he's just annoying. Also, was told he disappears after the
clocktower but then he shows up right fucking after again when controlling Ada... like, seriously...again!? I know he's the end boss for Leon, but can I expect more of him after Ada?

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Discovered an exploit with Mr. X when playing 4th survivor (if you want to call it an exploit)

If you aim your weapon at him and back up he'll swing early, and his swing has a lot of recovery making it easy to run past. Doesn't seem to work if you "aim" with the knife though.

Oct 25, 2017
Discovered an exploit with Mr. X when playing 4th survivor (if you want to call it an exploit)

If you aim your weapon at him and back up he'll swing early, and his swing has a lot of recovery making it easy to run past. Doesn't seem to work if you "aim" with the knife though.

It's not really an exploit, but just a regular juke against him. You can do it without aiming and just stand still. The moment he starts his punch animation, you can run away from him, his punch will miss, and you'll have time to get past him (along his punching arm side) while the punch animation is in recovery. However, this doesn't work if the hallway you're in is very narrow because he'll grab you.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving the game but Mr. X is easily the most annoying thing about the game. He was scary at first but now he's just annoying. Also, was told he disappears after the
clocktower but then he shows up right fucking after again when controlling Ada... like, seriously...again!? I know he's the end boss for Leon, but can I expect more of him after Ada?

He's gone for awhile after that Ada section. Once you regain control of Leon in the sewers, you can find a secret path back to the police department and feel free to finish your item searching with no Mr. X around. After that, I haven't gotten that far.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Just about to take on
G1 in Claire B
. I actually like the Quickdraw, but I have a couple of questions:

Is there any reason to use the SLS instead of the quickdraw? I heard you get an upgrade later that makes it shoot stronger bullets but until then I feel like I should just stick with the Quickdraw because I'd have to use gunpowder to make bullets for the SLS, and I have a hunch I'll want to keep all my powder for acid rounds.

What is the consensus best way to take out G1 w/Claire? I'm on PS4 so no knife, as far as I know. I've seen some people say to just use your handgun and others say to rock him with Flame rounds, but I am nervous about wasting those. I have 50 ish Quickdraw ammo and 100+SMG bullets and a grenade.

Hoping to S rank this one to get the infinite pistol. I'm at like 50 minutes now, hope I can make it.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. The Fourth Survivor is rough. Made it to the West Hall and got murdered. Seems like there is a lot of luck involved in evading zombies and dogs.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
If I was able to unlock the Handcannon in RE4 on Gamecube, Wii, & PS4, am I good enough to unlock the infinite rocket launcher & minigun in this game?
Completely different set of skills, imo. Quickly and efficiently eliminating enemies in a ~10 minute span vs planning a route and minimizing mistakes over the course of 2~3 hours. You could probably do it if you want to.

Dec 29, 2017
Having played through the scenarios a bunch of times now. I prefer playing Claire A then Leon B.
Having Claire explore the gas station and Leon shoot the zombie in the cutscene is a better reference to the original. While it seems more appropriate for Leon to interact with Marvin, I find Claire's interactions more story and character relevant. In her search for Chris, it's better that she talks to a RPD officer. Leon finding his uniform in the that storage room in the courtyard is an actual scene in scenario B. Feels like a scene is missing of Marvin giving it to Leon in A. The ending with Leon fighting G5 is a character beat that works far better. Sherry and Leon meet for the first time seconds before this segment starts. Leon is so out of touch with Claire that his only response to Sherry is literally "Okay". I can't imagine from a character perspective Claire telling Leon to look after Sherry while she fights G5, nor Leon just being okay with guarding Sherry while Claire goes to fight. (Although I don't think anyone needs to look after Sherry at this point, both characters should participate in this fight, with Sherry doing her best to get the train cars ready for separation).

Yes I think Claire A and Leon B is still canon because...

when Leon gets the G Virus sample the safe containing it is already open. That means Claire went through first because she opens the safe with Sherry's pendant. There are still big plot holes with Annette's death, the Birkin lab fight, and the destroyed lab bridge.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Just about to take on
G1 in Claire B
. I actually like the Quickdraw, but I have a couple of questions:

Is there any reason to use the SLS instead of the quickdraw? I heard you get an upgrade later that makes it shoot stronger bullets but until then I feel like I should just stick with the Quickdraw because I'd have to use gunpowder to make bullets for the SLS, and I have a hunch I'll want to keep all my powder for acid rounds.

What is the consensus best way to take out G1 w/Claire? I'm on PS4 so no knife, as far as I know. I've seen some people say to just use your handgun and others say to rock him with Flame rounds, but I am nervous about wasting those. I have 50 ish Quickdraw ammo and 100+SMG bullets and a grenade.

Hoping to S rank this one to get the infinite pistol. I'm at like 50 minutes now, hope I can make it.

The quickdraw is good and you will want to use it throughout and can always find more bullets but there will come a point where you may run out of bullets for a certain stretch and you will have to make bullets for the small revolver.

The upgrade for the small revolver basically allows it to fire magnum type bullets but in Claire B the magnum rounds for it are very rare so use them wisely. I used them for the big monsters in the sewer.

G1 is pretty easy with her in Clare B i thought, I just used the quickdraw and machine gun and throwing grenades.

I wasn't going for S rank though.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Wow the .45 pistol TOFU is freaking hard, honestly the hardest of the 5, or maybe I'm just tired.

I def think it's the hardest too. Just something about only having two pistols for the extremely chaotic sections of that mode where zombies are everywhere. It's also pretty crucial to save the knife for the end courtyard section otherwise you're pretty much screwed.