• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how you talk of RE3 remake being an inevitability, but I feel exactly the same way. After this I think it's a no-brainer.

All signs point to this game being a critical and commercial success, so they would be leaving money on the table.

Also it would mean the entire numbered series is playable on modern consoles, which I think is significant - especially now we have (or expect) backwards compatibility to be a standard going forward.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
That's just a waste of ammo. If you plan your routes well you should never be in a room with both of them.
This seems false. Lickers spawned in at least two areas where they weren't before the parking garage area, so there was absolutely no way of knowing that certain sections would be a safe route.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Zombies rounding corners is still so startling to see. The facial movements they make while lunging after you is creepy as hell.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All signs point to this game being a critical and commercial success, so they would be leaving money on the table.
Yup exactly. I thought RE3 remake was a real "I dunno.. maybe" until I saw how well this RE2 remake is tracking commercially. The numbers aren't out yet but all signs point to it being a hit.

Also it would mean the entire numbered series is playable on modern consoles, which I think is significant - especially now we have (or expect) backwards compatibility to be a standard going forward.

I get what you're saying... though I don't really think this remake is the same game, so to me having all the series "numbers" on a platform is triviality. You don't actually have all the games on modern platforms until you have PS1 classics compatibility, imo.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't play this game. Dear Lord.

I'm playing with Claire first and the moment Mr. X starts chasing you, I just get too nervous and die trying to run away.

The fact that you can only knock him down for few seconds stresses me a lot. I know I have to find the electrical parts to fix a funny looking box and I have already found the first one, but I have no clue where the second one is. I was making my way to the Clock Tower when a Licker and Mr X jumped on me.
FWIW, if you plan accordingly, you only have to endure him for 10-15 minutes (at least on Claire A) and it's really straightforward.
Basically, do everything you can in the area around the chief's office, in particular get the heart key and the gears. X only appears once you extinguish the chopper fire., and from there it's pretty straight forward:
- go through the waiting room to the main hall.
- go through the western office to get to to operations and move on to the records room where you'll get the tool to use in the library.
- go back the way you came from to the main hall. That's the hardest part, when I took the most damage.
- go through to the library and solve the puzzle.
- access the clock tower. Once you're there, X won't get in, and when you solve the puzzle he'll be gone.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
I was making my way to the Clock Tower when a Licker and Mr X jumped on me.
Same thing happened to me while going to the same place. I was so nervous that I shoved a flash grenade into the lickers mouth, shot it and ran away. After reaching the clock tower I was like "Wait what? How did I even think of that"

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I still don't undertand, lol. I have the Deluxe but there are no weapon upgrades. Just some extra 9mm pistols.
I've upgraded weapons during Leon A and Claire B....do I have to collect the upgrades again in Claire A/Leon B?
?
You can unlock stuff.
When you did that it will be in your inventory the next time you start a playthrough.
If you don't want to use the unlocked weapons, just but them in the storage box and ignore them.
But they will always be there.

But there is no NG +. You have to find the inventory expansions again and so on.

Oct 25, 2017
BTW the boss fights are total crap in this game. Worst in the series by far.

edit: And this stupid puzzle boss in the
sewers
is awful with claire. it's just awful.
edit2 :
I stunned him with fire grenades, thank god I had enough. Everything else didn't work and it would've been luck

Last edited:

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
HOLD UP

You can get back into the Police Station from the Sewers using the T-Bar????

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
FWIW, if you plan accordingly, you only have to endure him for 10-15 minutes (at least on Claire A) and it's really straightforward.
Basically, do everything you can in the area around the chief's office, in particular get the heart key and the gears. X only appears once you extinguish the chopper fire., and from there it's pretty straight forward:
- go through the waiting room to the main hall.
- go through the western office to get to to operations and move on to the records room where you'll get the tool to use in the library.
- go back the way you came from to the main hall. That's the hardest part, when I took the most damage.
- go through to the library and solve the puzzle.
- access the clock tower. Once you're there, X won't get in, and when you solve the puzzle he'll be gone.

I can't believe it. I did almost everything you mentioned, but I died on my way to the Clock Tower.

Thanks for the tips though! This encouraged me to try again, knowing I was so close to actually make it. Will try again soon.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Using the sewer key next to the door with the plug that raises the bridge. The shelf at the back of the room moves

Yea, I just did that, that's how I got back to the Underground Facility.

Had no idea you could get back to the Station. However, story wise I don't think it makes sense to go back and explore the Station, considering Ada got re-bard' and is dying and needs Leon's help lol

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I can't believe it. I did almost everything you mentioned, but I died on my way to the Clock Tower.

Thanks for the tips though! This encouraged me to try again, knowing I was so close to actually make it. Will try again soon.

Yep that's how I did things organically. But I can see if you trigger him early how frustrating it could be.

Playing Leon B there is a similar tactic.

X triggers when you pick up the battery from STARS or even just walk past the door.

You can get all the other medallions without triggering him. Collect basically everything from the RPD apart from the stuff in STARS room. Then when you're ready head there grab everything you need. He will trigger but all you gotta do is run upstairs blow the C4 and grab the last medallion.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My friend was over last night, while I had the game paused (and she was kinda drunk), I was cooking.

She accidentally un-paused my game in the Station during Mr.X time.

I was making the potatoes when I started hearing the loud thuds.

I M M E R S I O N

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
So here is something interesting, I have not seen Mr. X hardly any on my second trip through the police station and I think I figured out why. When I got the unicorn medallion (or whatever medallion it was that required the explosives) instead of pushing the bookshelf out of the way and going straight to the library, I took the long way around back to the main hall. I think having the shortcut closed might fuck with his pathing AI a bit.

Oct 27, 2017
EvilBoris has made a great HDR video for anyone still struggling with settings. HDR is definitely not broken.

I thought it was busted in the demo, everything looked very grey, but I tweaked a couple of settings that I already tried in the demo without success and I think HDR looks much better, even though I assume nothing has changed between demo and release. Bit odd. Playing with HDR on anyway, game looks brilliant.

Oct 27, 2017
A Cave
oquuqGk.gif

XRhoc8O.png

Ok Leon A done and Claire B to go next, then a retro soundtrack + costume Claire A/Leon B after that

I am so glad I did my first playthrough on Hardcore, the constant back and forth struggle for supplies, weighing up the risk vs. reward when exploring for said supplies and the fear of losing an hour+ of progress in doing so makes this game sooo much better

By the end of the game I had a full Handgun with a few left over bullets, a half full Magnum, quarter tank of Fuel and a single F.Aid Spray, the struggle was real.

I haven't done Claire B yet so it may appear there but did they really get rid of the Marshalling Yard and the iconic Tram lift? the one location other than the RPD to be featured in multiple Resident Evil games? pretty much everything else came back except that

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
oquuqGk.gif

XRhoc8O.png

Ok Leon A done and Claire B to go next, then a retro soundtrack + costume Claire A/Leon B after that

I am so glad I did my first playthrough on Hardcore, the constant back and forth struggle for supplies, weighing up the risk vs. reward when exploring for said supplies and the fear of losing an hour+ of progress in doing so makes this game sooo much better

By the end of the game I had a full Handgun with a few left over bullets, a half full Magnum, quarter tank of Fuel and a single F.Aid Spray, the struggle was real.

I haven't done Claire B yet so it may appear there but did they really get rid of the Marshalling Yard and the iconic Tram lift? the one location other than the RPD to be featured in multiple Resident Evil games? pretty much everything else came back except that

Man, I've been running around with like no ammo for the majority of my run on standard. Although the only times I've died was due to Mr.X encounters and like one zombie encounter, but the stress/ammo has been pretty good for me. Was going to do hardcore but was nudged to do Standard, especially considering this is my first true pre-RE4 Resident Evil experience in terms of level design and puzzles.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I thought it was busted in the demo, everything looked very grey, but I tweaked a couple of settings that I already tried in the demo without success and I think HDR looks much better, even though I assume nothing has changed between demo and release. Bit odd. Playing with HDR on anyway, game looks brilliant.

Yeah it seems to be the same as the demo, it's just a little tricky to set it up and there is some colour grading that capcom seem to use for different locations, so that's why it's hard to get inky blacks with HDR.

This video is really helpful though.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How am I supposed to avoid lickers when they camp the door at the end of the hallway.

Feel bad for people who don't have ammo or knives.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
So here is something interesting, I have not seen Mr. X hardly any on my second trip through the police station and I think I figured out why. When I got the unicorn medallion (or whatever medallion it was that required the explosives) instead of pushing the bookshelf out of the way and going straight to the library, I took the long way around back to the main hall. I think having the shortcut closed might fuck with his pathing AI a bit.
Sometimes I think Mr. X teleports. I had him on the east side of the police station knowing he is on my tail then I get to the west side and he pops out of the linen room lol

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Man the Mr. X memes and videos are amazing, I've spent hours trying to watch them all lol!

Also this game is fantastic, can't believe Capcom pulled it off this well.

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017
So just done Claire A / Leon B. Many thoughts to list, mostly positive but need to reflect a bit on it. First thought on completion though:

RE2 has a Theme Song now? It made me grin a lot :)

Oct 29, 2017
Australia