• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
I was a pro at the original, I definitely struggled in parts of this one and found myself limping around in danger for awhile. Just finished my Leon A run and couldn't be happier with the game.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Yup
The trick to dealing with Mr. X is learning that if you bump into him and he throws you down it doesn't actually do much damage. It's only if he grabs you or punches you where you're screwed. You can usually bump into him have him push you down and then get up and run past him.
Yeah, not too worried about him.

Him and zombies + lickers? Wwweeeeeelp. Just escaped with sheer luck in a hallway with two lickers and X. Still don't know how haha.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
Amazing game......until the Crocodile sequence. Absolutely ruined the game for me. Terribly done and out of place.

Trial and error bullshit that shouldn't be in games ever.

Oct 25, 2017
If it consoles you, I made past that part under similar circunstances and on hardcore (was on Danger and had literally no healing items outside of the first aid on the other side of the arena).

That does make me feel better lmao, I know it's doable it's just kind of annoying, especially with how fast he charges you. Leon doesn't have access to either of those weapons, he has access to the chemical thrower which is great but it takes a while for it to built up its stun. I'll try using my handgun more and seeing if that works out.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Claire campaign all done. Damn that was good.

Loved her and Sherrys interraction.

At least now I know who Sherry will grow up to be. An awesome agent.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Leon A, just got to Ada's playable section. Loving the game a lot so far and whereas RE7 at times felt like "Baby's first Resdient Evil" This game pretty much takes the training wheels off completely, the map and puzzle complexity is exactly what I wanted out of it.

I didn't think the Tyrant bit was too bad, granted I had pretty much done most of the puzzles in the station before I triggered him, but having to worry about him as well as the other enemies wandering around was incredibly harrowing. I'm fairly certain he cannot follow you into save rooms though, so I used that to my advantage quite a bit.

The only thing that was a bit jarring so far was the
Uncharted style running set piece with the alligator
but even then it's pretty quick.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Started the B campaign and

This doesn't make much sense. You start at the part where Leon and Claire meet in the fence, but that's ~2 hours into the A campaign. How the fuck the character in the B campaign took so long to arrive at RPD? lol

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love everything about this game. It's up there with RE4 and a top 5 games for me. I'm so happy.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So the way it works is each character has two scenarios, called A and B in the original RE. (In this theyre just called 1st and 2nd runs.) Selecting a new game is that characters "A" scenario, and beating that unlocks the OTHER characters B scenario. So Leon A > Claire B, and Claire A > Leon B.

The idea is that the B scenario is taking place parallel to the A scenario. And since each character already has character specific events happen in their respective play throughs, you ultimately end up with 4 scenarios you have to play through in order to see everything. (Claire A > Leon B was the "canon" route in the original.) That's also how you unlock the Hunk scenario.

In the original, the B scenario was very different than the A. Mr. X was not present AT ALL in the A scenario's, and only showed up in B's. You entered the police station through a different area, puzzles were changed, had certain items not be available to you if the character you played in the A scenario had picked them up, and there were two extra final boss fights added, and being a B scenario was the only way to see the true ending of the game.

From what I understand (I beat the game with Leon yesterday, but haven't started Claire's 2nd run yet) this idea is largely still how it functions in the remake, with the exception that you can choose 2nd run from the main menu this time around, after you unlock them.

This doesn't make much sense. You start at the part where Leon and Claire meet in the fence, but that's ~2 hours into the A campaign. How the fuck the character in the B campaign took so long to arrive at RPD? lol

2 hours? You can literally run to that meeting in less than 10 mins. How long it took you IRL to get there is not the same as the in universe passage of time :p

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
also, something about the character interactions

Though the Claire > Sherry and Leon > Ada interactions have been expanded, Leon and Claire barely talk to each other in this game. It's a shame, really.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorta tempted to try the game on hardcore (I finished Claire A today) but the "enemies take more damage" thing is sorta discouraging since enemies already took like 8-12 bullets to the fucking head to finally die. So I feel like at that point fighting anything at all ever is just going to be aggravating.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I just had one of the special RE moments where you're really down on ammo but suddenly you do a little backtracking and map checking and all of a sudden you're back up to good stock and ready to go..ahhh

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
2 hours? You can literally run to that meeting in less than 10 mins. How long it took you IRL to get there is not the same as the in universe passage of time :p

Even if it took that time, you do agree that, logically speaking, clearing the whole first part of the mansion and facing Birkin should take longer than arriving at the RPD, right?

I mean... Perhaps it was more difficult to arrive at the RPD through the B route, but that's not even implied, so...

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
Man, one thing that I love about this game is the mechanic of enemies banging in the door, ready to open and fuck you over. You are never safe, even if you close the door behind you. I think this it the first game to do that . I need to enter in the boiler room and somebody is banging the door really hard, I am afraid to open lol

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorta tempted to try the game on hardcore (I finished Claire A today) but the "enemies take more damage" thing is sorta discouraging since enemies already took like 8-12 bullets to the fucking head to finally die. So I feel like at that point fighting anything at all ever is just going to be aggravating.

I played HC until the first boss, then had to chicken out. Enemies don't take many hits more in HC actually. You just have a smaller inventory and find less ammo. Also you take more damage :D

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Finished Claire A yesterday and here's some thoughts before I write my review (still have ways to go):

Positive

Insane, creepy atmosphere
Zombies are actually a threat now and scary (+ better AI)
Gore level of detail is amazing
A real return to survival horror
Good challenge even on Standard (died quite a few times)
Excellent graphics overall, although it can be hit-and-miss depending on the area
Good replay value with extra modes (4th survivor, tofu + free upcoming DLC)
Feels like a love letter to fans

Negative

Boss battles SUCK (shoot the evil eyes!)
Story is almost non-existent (same as original) + it seems there's fewer files to read now
Outside of RPD the areas feel bland IMO
Monster variety is bad (got worse than original)
A/B scenarios got butchered (i'm on Leon B now)
Tyrant can no longer break through walls unless I've missed it
Kinda nitpicking, but I got tired of the darkness + flashlight gameplay after a while

Not finished yet, but so far I'd give it 8-8.5 based on my playtime.

Last edited:

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
Even if it took that time, you do agree that, logically speaking, clearing the whole first part of the mansion and facing Birkin should take longer than arriving at the RPD, right?

I mean... Perhaps it was more difficult to arrive at the RPD through the B route, but that's not even implied, so...

Huh?

That scene between the two of them is right after you get the diamond key. You can't even get all three medallions before that because you dont have the bolt cutters for the detonator room.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you weren't expecting to shoot evil eyes idk what to tell ya.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Man, one thing that I love about this game is the mechanic of enemies banging in the door, ready to open and fuck you over. You are never safe, even if you close the door behind you. I think this it the first game to do that . I need to enter in the boiler room and somebody is banging the door really hard, I am afraid to open lol

You won't have to. Just walk near it lol

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
Huh?

That scene between the two of them is right after you get the diamond key. You can't even get all three medallions before that because you dont have the bolt cutters for the detonator room.

I think I associated that region way too much with Mr. X's arrival and thought the cutscene played just before you find him. Sorry everyone for the confusion. Welp

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
So.. I have like hours in this game it is honestly, almost perfect. I am now at the point where mr.x appears. Everything is tense af and running away from him is such a horrifying experience, buuuut... maan.. he teleports around the map? This is such a fucking buzzkill.

He was chasing me around safety deposits roo. and I started running towards operations room (through main hall) and somehow he had out ran me and surprised me from operations room. This really breaks all immersion and honesty, is kinda shitty. Like I killed a licker on my way, and diged the zombies, but now I had to do it again with mr. X rushing at me so I died.

This also begs the question, does he acrually roam at all in the map? Or will he always teleport to the room next to you?

EDIT. There is a door to the operations room, so he could have used that. My bad. xD But does anyone know how he actually works? Like can he hear footsteps, gunshots etc?

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Should I do Claire's A scenario before doing the 2nd run as her?

Edit: NVM, looks like 2nd run is the way to go. A are character swaps and 2nd run is where it's in conjunction with the first run while retaining character specific cutscenes.

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I completed both campaigns (Leon A, Claire B).

Best Resident Evil got even better. This game is a diamond I will embrace forever.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Things I dislike so far:
  1. The menus are the worst to control with mouse and keyboard, especially the map. They're clearly designed for a controller. I wish they took some time to add proper mouse and keyboard support.
  2. No vaulting. Even the scripted ones are bad. You have to come from the perfect angle to get the button prompt.
  3. No proper melee combat.
  4. Can't holster the gun. The animation is in the game. Why don't they add a button for it?
  5. Can't manually toggle the flashlight. I hate it when Leon turns off the flashlight when I get to another area even though it's still fairly dark.
  6. Voice acting is bad.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Omfg this is brilliant waiting in the records room and listening to Mr X walking around outside the door. The only way out is the way in and I'm spying on the door behind the shelves. This game. This game!!!

So....frigging....good....there are just so many.....moments!

Oct 25, 2017
Lol that piece of concept art that literally has

pasted in cracked me up.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe I'm saying this, but even on the Standard difficulty, this game is more survival horror than the original.

Not for me. Through the sewer, I only died one time because I was testing out limits. Have a pretty good chunk of ammo for all my weapons and lots of health items. But I now have 20 years of gaming experience since first beating RE2, so I should be better prepared (also recently played REMake).

I am still loving the game, though. It feels great. I'm surprisingly more reminded of the first Half-Life than the original RE2. I think it might be just how well designed the setting is. It truly feels like a functioning police station that was somehow converted from a museum. All the environments are believable and wonderfully detailed. The gameplay is fun and it has that satisfying element of coming across locked out items and areas and having those "Aha!" moments of achievement later.

Not a fan of the Tyrant, though. The problem I always have with unkillable stalkers is that once they kill you, and you know their limits, they lose their capability to instill fear and become annoying. The tension is gone. I want to continue my adventure but instead I have to figure out the best way to avoid this monster, because engaging with it is pointless, which tends to mean taking a very indirect route. And the stomping just becomes like fingernails on a chalkboard. But I imagine on replays I'll have some fun toying with it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So is the heart key a missable item or something? I haven't found it yet and I think I'm just about to leave the police station.

Also I'm amazed that this game actually has a working mirror in it. You'd think 'Zombie Apocalypse' would give a good excuse to just make all the mirrors broken/dirty but they went out of their way to implement one.

Oct 26, 2017
Did my first "speedrun" on normal so i could jog my memory on item locations. Biggest mistake I made was not moving most the bookshelves before triggering MR X.

Also NGl normal is really fuckin easy, you take half the damage and deal double the damage.

So is the heart key a missable item or something? I haven't found it yet and I think I'm just about to leave the police station.

Also I'm amazed that this game actually has a working mirror in it. You'd think 'Zombie Apocalypse' would give a good excuse to just make all the mirrors broken/dirty but they went out of their way to implement one.
Claire/Leon both have a key exclusive to them

The storys make no sense put together, People die at different locations, the same boss fights happen to both people. Its like everything up until the helicopter crash is joined, and everything after the countdown begins is joined, but the rest is like a parellel universe or s/t.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

Only takes about 10 minutes if you know what you are doing. :P

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Almost at the end. Question about a weapon.

So I've made it to the lab and I have the flamethrower still intact from the sewer. Is there any benefit to carrying this around? What enemy should I waste this on? Should I save it for a boss?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

If you're playing Leon, he doesn't use that key.