• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
My collectors edition arrived. Really happy with it but the art book thing in it sucks.

Dxwcxy_WkAAWwbm.jpg

DxwcxzlWoAMhFez.jpg

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love and miss fixed camera angles, one cool thing this camera allows is that if you rotate it around in some areas you can often see a path in the police station you came through earlier and see how it all fits together seamlessly.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Interesting how the game totally doesn't play by the RE doors are safe rules. Even in RE7 enemies couldn't come through doors and making sure you close doors behind you was an integral part of the game. In this game it totally makes me never feel safe and honestly kills a lot of my run away/past enemies strategy, since I know they won't stop coming for me.
I actually wish it did, or that bullets could penetrate doors in lieu. I've reached a point where it's become kind of comical while I wait for zombies to bang doors down. Like, "c'mon buddy, git in here already..." I've also had a couple of those goofy situations where they've kind of gotten stuck aggro outside safe zone doors, and I don't know how intentional that is. Molded in RE7 usually fucked off a good distance when doors were closed on them and in Dead Space Necromorphs usually hop into vents. More than it increases the tension for me the real-time, aggressive nature of enemies seems unbalanced, for lack of a better word. Obviously, the game is supposed to feel oppressive. I just feel it could offer me a little more breathing room.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah I found the game on my third try. First two stores they got no ps4 copies left, they only had the xbox version available.

Third store had a bunch o copies still tho. Still seems the game is doing good.
I woke up around 6:30 this morning before my alarm went off and made sure to reserve a copy. Got a £30 gift card so didn't want to preorder it and since I'm working from home I wanted to collect it today.

Also it's nice that for preorder it was £39.99 but for release day they dropped it to £36.99.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
The east (or is it west?) wing stairwell with the darkroom save room feels so much like the REmake save room by the stair case now. Love the light spilling through the window too as you go down the hallway.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
So I'm an hour in. Impressions:
- The opening to the game gave me shivers. I could have done without the CG Cable TV show style credits intro that interrupted the opening, but it was well done and a solid throwback to the original.
- I can see why they went with a new VA for Claire. I'll always love the original, though. The dialogue feels like it might have been written in English first, but that might be just because they have a really strong approach to localizing whatever Japanese script is probably written initially.
- There isn't enough music in the game, espeically in places that warrant it. I've heard the main hall theme and the save room theme exactly once, each time. Why not more? It's not even motifs fading in and out; the majority of the time is spent hearing no music whatsover, unless a zombie appears and it wants to ramp up the tension. Not really a fan of this design decision, especially when the original was so unusually sophisticated for its time.
- There aren't constant quips, but they don't really match up with what's going on when they do show up.
- So far it feels like more of a survival horror game than the original. It's somewhat balanced similarly so far, in that at first you really have to avoid zombies and not waste your bullets, so you save ammunition for rooms where you might want to solve the various puzzle content strewn about (there appears to be a LOT of optional puzzle content). But I think it's just finetuned in such a way that surpasses the original to a pretty noticable degree early on.
- Zombies are more dangerous anyways, so crimson heads aren't really necessary so far.
- Speaking of which, I really don't see a reason why this can't be considered "The REmake Treatment" thus far.

Despite some minor gripes (the music one seems like something that will bother me more over time), the first hour has thus far been really Solid. I've just gotten the Grenade Launcher with Claire, and am prepared to go explore some of the eastern side of the building.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a Lightning Hawk part in a display that you need the non-USB STARS badge to unlock if that's what you mean. Go down the medallion passage from the main hall and follow the stairs to the bottom.
wait, how do you get back there? The passage seems shut

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I have one question that's gone unanswered to this point.

Is this the kind of RE that provides enough ammo to kill just about every enemy in the game as RE5, 6, Revelations 1, and 2 allow for, or will I have to do a lot of running and dodging, killing only what I must along the way?

Thanks!

Whide

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I just got all the medallions for the statue but theres still so many rooms I haven't found keys for. Am I supposed to come back or are those rooms meant for Claire scenario?

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
holy fuck hardcore aint no joke
im just running past everything but i feel thats gonna bite me in the ass so hard coming into a room with like 5 zombies

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017

Is this the kind of RE that provides enough ammo to kill just about every enemy in the game as RE5, 6, Revelations 1, and 2 allow for, or will I have to do a lot of running and dodging, killing only what I must along the way?

Thanks!

This one is more rooted in the survival element of the series. As such, you're not really meant to kill all enemies as you don't have an abundance of resources.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Who is playing on the assisted (easiest) difficulty? I'm thinking of starting the game with the assisted so what is your take?

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks!

I'm only 3 hours into the game on Normal and I'm already feeling like I may have to restart. There's a period in the beginning where you feel very well-equipped for the challenge but things ramp up dramatically once you begin to see tough enemies. Every missed shot feels like a big mistake. The largest surplus of ammo I've had thus far was around 60 handgun rounds and 12 shotgun rounds.

I've definitely noticed the dynamic difficulty firsthand. I was going along extremely confidently with zombies taking 4-6 shots each and now they're taking 8-10 with opportunistic knifing. I cleared halls on the west side because of the concern of Mr. X's inevitable arrival and needing room to run from him without interference.

Ammunition is far, far more scarce than in the original from what I can tell.

V3rt1go

Oct 25, 2017
I just got all the medallions for the statue but theres still so many rooms I haven't found keys for. Am I supposed to come back or are those rooms meant for Claire scenario?

You won't get out of the police station and you'll get keys for what you need

Oct 28, 2017
This one is more rooted in the survival element of the series. As such, you're not really meant to kill all enemies as you don't have an abundance of resources.
With the exception of the pre police station section I've killed every enemy so far and have plenty of ammo. I wanted to avoid enemies but they kept following me through doors it wasn't really viable.

No wait, I didn't kill any enemies in the pre meeting Marvin section of the station.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
With the exception of the pre police station section I've killed every enemy so far and have plenty of ammo. I wanted to avoid enemies but they kept following me through doors it wasn't really viable.

No wait, I didn't kill any enemies in the pre meeting Marvin section of the station.

Interesting. Good to know! What difficulty though? I'm playing on the hardest difficulty initially so I don't have to do too many playthroughs to unlock stuff lol.

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. Good to know! What difficulty though? I'm playing on the hardest difficulty initially so I don't have to do too many playthroughs to unlock stuff lol.
Normal. I started on hardcore because I wanted limited saves but as soon as that first zombie bit me and I went straight down to danger in one bite I was like fuck this and switched to normal.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I'm sure this has been answered a hundred times already but what's a surefire way of preventing zombies from getting up again? Critical headshots seem to happen *very* rarely.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on standard and after 90 minutes I have an abundance of every type of supply. But I haven't run into any enemy types besides zombies yet and I hear stuff gets depleted fast once you start meeting tougher enemies, even on standard.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
I've left several zombies around the station because I simply don't have enough ammo to deal with them (on hardcore). Game is so fucking good.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on standard and after 90 minutes I have an abundance of every type of supply. But I haven't run into any enemy types besides zombies yet and I hear stuff gets depleted fast once you start meeting tougher enemies, even on standard.

Lickers are fucking tanks even on Standard. If you can avoid a fight with them, do so. I'd recommend you save before fighting the first one and then fight it so you can see how they work in the event that you encounter one later that you can't avoid. They're formidable.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I'm only 3 hours into the game on Normal and I'm already feeling like I may have to restart. There's a period in the beginning where you feel very well-equipped for the challenge but things ramp up dramatically once you begin to see tough enemies. Every missed shot feels like a big mistake. The largest surplus of ammo I've had thus far was around 60 handgun rounds and 12 shotgun rounds.

I've definitely noticed the dynamic difficulty firsthand. I was going along extremely confidently with zombies taking 4-6 shots each and now they're taking 8-10 with opportunistic knifing. I cleared halls on the west side because of the concern of Mr. X's inevitable arrival and needing room to run from him without interference.

Ammunition is far, far more scarce than in the original from what I can tell.

Damn, that's just what I was afraid of. I just blew through 4, 5, R1, and R2 with my girlfriend as a primer to the series for her, and now we have to basically drop everything we know from those games, as we left not a single thing alive in any of them, haha.

Any tips to try and help guarantee not having to restart? Maybe tips on which enemies to leave alive, which to run from, staggering saves (I'm hoping that's possible?), etc?

We're both really excited for this one, but I haven't played old school RE since in 15 years, and I just want to be able to go through it to enjoy the terror and story, not having to restart.

Thanks so much, again!

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this has been answered a hundred times already but what's a surefire way of preventing zombies from getting up again? Critical headshots seem to happen *very* rarely.
The best way I found to check if they're really dead is to use the knife. Decapitation is the only way you really, really know. The higher power weapons are more likely to of couse.

Yea I was fully stocked for awhile but now I have literally zero bullets. You'll have feel like you have a lot of resources early on.... but nahhhh.

I love this game

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm at the mercy of Amazon delivery today, which will drive me nuts.

Please, Lords of Delivery, grant me good fortune and an early gift!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The best way I found to check if they're really dead is to use the knife. Decapitation is the only way you really, really know. The higher power weapons are more likely to of couse.

Yea I was fully stocked for awhile but now I have literally zero bullets. You'll have feel like you have a lot of resources early on.... but nahhhh.

I love this game
Yeah, I had 50 handgun bullets and 8 shotgun rounds. Then I had 17 handgun bullets and 2 shotgun rounds. Panic is a very real thing in this game

Deleted member 5549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who is playing on the assisted (easiest) difficulty? I'm thinking of starting the game with the assisted so what is your take?
don't treat it like a run'n gun game, use your weapon to crowd control and you'll do fine on normal. I've been in a position where I died a couple of times, because I've been cornered by multiple enemies of different sizes. still found a way to get out of it without spending all ammo and/or healing items.

of course, do whatever makes you comfortable, but knowing RE games, it's always best to play on normal and speedrun on easy on your second playthrough to unlock most of the bonus items! unless they changed it for this one.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that's just what I was afraid of. I just blew through 4, 5, R1, and R2 with my girlfriend as a primer to the series for her, and now we have to basically drop everything we know from those games, as we left not a single thing alive in any of them, haha.

Any tips to try and help guarantee not having to restart? Maybe tips on which enemies to leave alive, which to run from, staggering saves (I'm hoping that's possible?), etc?

We're both really excited for this one, but I haven't played old school RE since in 15 years, and I just want to be able to go through it to enjoy the terror and story, not having to restart.

Thanks so much, again!

There are better players that will likely chime in but my feeling is that it would have been better if I'd focused on clearing/barricading a handful of "safe" areas interspersed throughout the RPD rather than focusing so much on clearing an entire side. The entire game is a balancing act and ammunition goes so quickly that you really need to consider the necessity of every single engagement.

I feel like zombies are the best enemy to leave upright. Lickers are tough fights but you're in a world of shit if you're needing to run from Mr. X and happen into a room that a Licker is waiting in. Running into a zombie-filled room is still dangerous but the Lickers can clear huge distances when they dive for attack. Even in Standard, one hit put me in Danger territory: if I had Mr. X on my ass, the follow-up after that would be instant death. If a room is thick with zombies and you're in tight quarters, it may make sense to disable a couple of them.

I will get one complaint out there: knives are irreparably damaged far too quickly. I can't cite realism in a game like this but it still seems ridiculous that a stainless steel knife is going to break after a few dozen uses.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
My knives are gone!

Eh, gotta get used to it then, despite my lack of knives, the game's not overly difficult so far. (On Standard Mode I should add.)

Mr. X follows the age-old RE tradition of "Seems intimidating until you actually decide to take him on with what you got instead of running away." He always goes down with like 6 well aimed headshots so far. Love that music that plays up whenever he appears though, wish the game had more of that, that track is straight up better than the Mr. X theme from the original.

LoveBug566

Oct 27, 2017
I'm finding this game to be a real challenge even on the normal difficulty setting. Bullets seem to be really hard to come by and as previously said you really feel it when you miss a shot. I forgot that the knife breaks and lost my first knife early on. How quickly do I find a second one?

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Oh no, I met that big dude now, he can fucking follow you anywhere, nowhere is safe. My heart can't take this.

And it's not fun meeting him with Lickers nearby because you need to run.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
What happened to the music in the main entrance of the police station? There isn't any. Kills any tension. In fact right of the bat there seems to be no tension.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
My copy unexpectedly arrived today (I ordered late afternoon yesterday).

I've decided on Hardcore mode for 2 reasons: ink ribbons, and it's a horror game, horror games are supposed to be hard, if they were easy they wouldn't be scary, a hard horror game is a much more frightening experience.

Bring it!!

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy to see that despite the camera change, this game really seems to follow a lot of the same ethos as the first REmake, even though this one changed more stuff.

Here are all the REmake similarities I've noticed thus far:
-defensive weapons (probably most obvious similarity)
-zombies that can bang on the doors and open them up (greatly expanded here as that was a scripted thing in the first remake)
-Changes the atmosphere to be a lot darker and more explicitly gothic (though this one is less gothic than the first REmake)
-Tweaks the level design, inventory management, and enemies to turn a more faster paced and arcady horror game into a more "survival horror" experience where stress is maximized through more dangerous routes that you have to backtrack through more frequently.
-The combination of zombies you're never quite sure are dead and Mr.X seem to mimic the function of crimson heads as they're an existential stressor that makes you consider extra hard what path to take and what enemies are left around the level.
-The medallion hunt for the statue feels slightly like the death mask search in REmake.
-The right amount of faithfulness to the original and messing with your expectations.

I haven't played nearly enough to know how this will rank in the series, but so far it definitely seems like the most survival-horrory in the series after REmake which is only a good thing in my book.

Also, I love the UI in this game. The map looks great and is very useful and even the little sound effects make stuff like clicking through your inventory or the *pop* when you examine an item and it's description updates oh so satisfying.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I'm finding this game to be a real challenge even on the normal difficulty setting. Bullets seem to be really hard to come by and as previously said you really feel it when you miss a shot. I forgot that the knife breaks and lost my first knife early on. How quickly do I find a second one?

Shit, I was going to try Hardcore, starting to think twice now....

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like sound cues are more important in this game than any of the previous.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017

There's another knife early on in
the library