• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

what's the correct order you should play Resident Evil 2?

• Claire A / Leon B

Votes: 232 55.4%
  • Leon A / Claire B

Votes: 187 44.6%

• Total voters

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Playing thru ClaireB Hardcore and was skipping cutscenes since the vast majority of them are the same.... except now
Sherri DOESN'T get infected!?

dammit!

Are you playing the remake? The difference with Sherry only applies to the original. In the remake, all of the cut-scenes will be the same for you until the very very end.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
No, but I think Claire A/Leon B makes more sense given the events of later games.
In the remake
Claire always makes it to the lab first judging by how the first G-Virus sample is already gone when Leon gets there in both runs, for what that's worth.

Yeah. It has to be Claire first. Though I really want Leon and Marvin's interactions to be canon as well.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never played the original RE2, but the A/B scenario in the remake doesn't make too much sense when you compare the routes directly. Like how Sherry and Ada both happened to get trapped in the same part of the sewers, or how Leon and Claire both fight G's stage 3 while confronting Annette. I think its best to just take the canon story as bits and pieces from all 4 scenarios.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Claire A/Leon B just makes more sense lore wise as the games after RE2 makes more references to it. That said, both are neither truly canon, as Leon A, Claire B is also referenced at times. The real canon is a mix of it as we've seen in the Remake.

Although, playing Claire A/Leon B in the remake just feels better than Leon A/ Claire B, since the B scenario always has Mr. X showing up earlier and thematically that fits well with Leon having to deal with Mr. X more than Claire. That and in Leon's story,
Claire clearly made it through the lab first.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
No, but I think Claire A/Leon B makes more sense given the events of later games.
In the remake
Claire always makes it to the lab first judging by how the first G-Virus sample is already gone when Leon gets there in both runs, for what that's worth.
on the contrary

it makes more sense that Leon meets Mr X after the Ben scene, as that's his introduction to him

also more even that Leon finishes off Mr X and Claire, G

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
on the contrary

it makes more sense that Leon meets Mr X after the Ben scene, as that's his introduction to him

On the other hand
Right before G Stage 4 when Claire and Leon briefly communicate, Claire is deeper into the lab then Leon is. Claire passes the room Leon is in with Sherry earlier

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
on the contrary

But Claire uses Sherry's pendant to open up the G-virus' containment, he'd get nowhere if Claire didn't get there first.

Also Claire didn't pick up the G-Virus
On the other hand
Right before G Stage 4 when Claire and Leon briefly communicate, Claire is deeper into the lab then Leon is. Claire passes the room Leon is in with Sherry earlier

Also Claire opened the G-Virus containment chamber and activated the train before he got to the bottom platform

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I've always thought the canon to be a mix of both scenarios just like what happened with the first game.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Claire A/Leon B endgame tagline: "It's up to us to take out Umbrella!" *end credits w/ hype rock type music*
Leon A/Claire B endgame tagline: "Chris... I have to find you." *end credits w/ ill-fitting rock type music*

the choice is obvious

OP
OP
krg

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Claire A/Leon B endgame tagline: "It's up to us to take out Umbrella!" *end credits w/ hype rock type music*
Leon A/Claire B endgame tagline: "Chris... I have to find you." *end credits w/ ill-fitting rock type music*

the choice is obvious
yeah, but then again option 2 also makes sense since that opens the path to Code Veronica.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil

the choice is obvious

Tehcnically the second one makes more sense. As that actually happened in Code Veronica but neither Leon nor Claire did anything after RE2 to take down Umbrella.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Claire A/Leon B is the best way to play the original, but the future games reference things from all the different scenarios so technically there's no real one canon scenario. I try not to think about it too much.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Man thread like this can't hurt me more about a 'true' A and B path. It still plague my hurt such choice. Game feel so incomplete to me.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Just by looking at how the ladder magically drops during Leon A after the first encounter with Birkin while on Claire A the ladder is dropped by Sherry I will say that at least after this game Claire A / Leon B looks like the canon route.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
So far there still no canon/true story of RE 1,2 Event yet.
The later Games and CG-Movies make it look like Chirs,Jill and Leon,Claire go adventure together and split sometime.
When they mentions first two game event.
Also IRCC Claire know Ada and Ada know Sherry.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if Capcom has ever officially said anything, but in the original game Claire A/Leon B is referenced in future games with Sherry having the g virus, and also the fact that Ada fucking plummets into a pit and dies in Leon A, which is clearly NOT canon.

The remake is set up in a way that it's kind of canon no matter which route you take.

It really should not matter since 7 rebooted the series right?

7 was not a reboot. It takes place after 6 and all of the previous games events have still happened.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
So far there still no canon/true story of RE 1,2 Event yet.
The later Games and CG-Movies make it look like Chirs,Jill and Leon,Claire go adventure together and split sometime.
When they mentions first two game event.
Also IRCC Claire know Ada and Ada know Sherry.

Which is exactly what happens in the Chronicles games. It just seems to make more sense that they'd be together instead of splitting up.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
As long as we're asking about RE canon... How does Resident Evil 1 work with Chris and Jill?
The canon takes bits from both paths. Neither route is completely canon nor completely non-canon.

This honestly bothers me more than anything in RE2. Between the original and REmake, there's still no way to actually play the "canon" RE1 since you never get all five survivors. Plus it would also mean either Chris or Jill is going to spend 98% of the Mansion Incident in a cell, which doesn't match up with both of them being badasses in later games. I don't remember how Umbrella Chonicles handles Rebecca and Barry, but otherwise it might be the most canon depiction of RE1 since Chris and Jill work together in it.

(not to mention all the weirdness of Rebecca not acknowledging the events of Zero in RE1)

As for Outbreak, I'd like to eventually see canon survivors there too (maybe if it gets a remake). All we know is Alyssa survived.

Oct 28, 2017
In the original RE2, the official canon is a mix of all four scenarios. But Claire A/Leon B is probably the base scenario, as there are certain things that are cemented in the canon that only occur in that scenario combination. This includes Leon starting out in the driver's seat side of the road in Scenario B (he was the one driving the police car), and Sherry getting infected by the G-Virus. Another thing to take note of is that RE2's scenario is basically a more fleshed-out and modified version of 1.5's. Conveniently enough, Elza and Leon's starting locations mirror those of Claire A/Leon B's. Elza starts in the precinct lobby while Leon starts on the helipad. Likewise, Claire enters the RPD via the lobby while Leon enters via the helipad area. Elza is also the one who meets Roy (basically 1.5's Marvin) in one of the office rooms, which again mirrors Claire meeting Marvin in Scenario A. Elza also arrives at the factory and lab before Leon does, which mirrors Claire A/Leon B's progression. If I had to guess, the reason why Claire A/Leon B was intended as a "second run" is precisely the same reason why the game had an A/B scenario for the characters: Leon A/Claire B is the "Scenario A" while Claire A/Leon B is "Scenario B". Scenario B being the one that gives you a complete picture of the events of the game.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me it was always Leon A - Claire B
The discs of the PS1 version are labeled A for Leon and B for Claire.

Oct 26, 2017
If anything is canon it's the original because the scenarios in the remake make absolutely no sense when combined in whatever order.
Not that the old scenario A B Made perfect sense but at least they had somewhat plausible different routes and events.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
yeah, I really love this Remake but if I had to criticize something was how poorly the A and B scenarios were handled, like you'd often think, why am I doing this again? It's like a parallel universe instead of a complete story.

There was an interview recently where the lead designer actually used "parallel universe" to describe it (in response to being asked whether there were two Tyrants).

I expect the official canon now is that the canon scenario is a mix of Leon and Claire's campaigns, like how RE1's canon scenario is a mix of Jill and Chris's.

OP
OP
krg

krg

Oct 27, 2017
also the fact that Ada fucking plummets into a pit and dies in Leon A, which is clearly NOT canon.

The remake is set up in a way that it's kind of canon no matter which route you take

but even if she falls into the pit, she didn't actually die (god knows how she survived...) since she's the one (the shadow) throwing the rocket launcher to Leon.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Leon A Claire B is the real cannon for the remake simply because Claire gets the S.A.A.

Also Claire is supposed to fight G5 so that makes LA-CB even more canon.

I would assume that Leon A / Claire B is the intended experience, at least in the PS1 version because Disc 1 is Leon, Disc 2 is Claire

Also this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but even if she falls into the pit, she didn't actually die (god knows how she survived...) since she's the one (the shadow) throwing the rocket launcher to Leon.

Which only happens in Leon B. She only falls into the pit in Leon A, and is never seen again. In B it plays out entirely different, with her just getting slammed into a control panel by Mr X.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
don't Ada die if you play the scenarios inverted? Considering how she still alive in the sequel s, I assume it is not canon
Edit: beaten. And looks like I'm right.

OP
OP
krg

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Which only happens in Leon B. She only falls into the pit in Leon A, and is never seen again. In B it plays out entirely different, with her just getting slammed into a control panel by Mr X.

lol..and now the remake is a mix of both Leon A and B then, since she falls into the pit AND throws the rocket launcher, god damn what a mess.

Oct 25, 2017
lol..and now the remake is a mix of both Leon A and B then, since she falls into the pit AND throws the rocket launcher, god damn what a mess.

I think Capcom just said fuck it, and combined all of the main plot points into both scenarios in the remake. It also seems like they were going for the Remake1 approach where your character is doing all the heavy lifting with bosses and such while the other character is speeding through (similar to how Jill or Chris was stuck in a jail cell throughout Remake1).

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Why didn't Claire just use the chain cutters on the chain link fence? Instead, she jus joked to Leon "dont suppose you have a key in one of those pockets?".

Like.. you literally pick up some chain cutters right before the cutscene.