• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This sounds odd but considering a lot of the resources are shared between games, mainly the clear overlap of zombie models and game mechanics, I don't think it's that "off" when you consider the fact that they've been in development for roughly the same amount of time.

However if I had to make a choice I would say "major doubt"

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I can believe the RE2 had dev problems.
As good as it was the whole thing felt kinda short.
And the AB scenario was mostly just the same content over again.
Also the lack of enemy variety was disappointing.

That all said I enjoyed the hell out of it.

The Ummah

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem right that the plan was for them to be bundled together. They would be missing out on getting $60 for two titles, and as a previous poster said, unless the bundle was gonna be $120...

Nah.

Oct 26, 2017
This sounds odd but considering a lot of the resources are shared between games, mainly the clear overlap of zombie models and game mechanics, I don't think it's that "off" when you consider the fact that they've been in development for roughly the same amount of time.

However if I had to make a choice I would say "major doubt"

RE2 was officially greenlit in 2015.
Aside from this gossip, there's no rumours about RE3 being started simultaneously. Dusk says RE3 will be roughly 3 years in dev.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh it was? I was under the impression REmake 2 was in full production ~early 2017
The 'We Do It' video was 2015 and Capcom was talking about it with investors the same year.

They showed some RE2 zombies some time around E3 2016 too, when they were showing some behind the scenes work on RE7, so they were into asset creation by that point.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
This is the company that can't even bundle their old ass collections on Switch for the same price as other platforms. Who in their right mind would think these 2 AAA, feature length remakes would be bundled together for $60???

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a complete non-brainer to do this remake. Every reasonable person saw that. They share much of the scenario and mechanics.
Was so weird seeing flex from people acting like would be a huge undertaking or dismissing the impact of the game that feature nemesis. Nemesis!!

Glad Capcom was smart with that.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
So they were making two full fledged games and planned to sell them in one $60 package? That is nonsense.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Imran is actually right on the money here. The idea at the beginning of REmake 2's development was to incorporate both RE2 and RE3's content into a single coherent Raccoon City experience. That changed early on as the team decided to do only RE2. REmake 3 was obviously greenlit as its own project later down the line.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I could see them being developed together but released together as a double pack? That's throwing money away. That would make a little more sense if they were just remasters or something but they're full on AAA games.

Oct 26, 2017
Imran is actually right on the money here. The idea at the beginning of REmake 2's development was to incorporate both RE2 and RE3's content into a single coherent Raccoon City experience. That changed early on as the team decided to do only RE2. REmake 3 was obviously greenlit as its own project later down the line.

So it was a pre production idea?

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
DuskGolem said this is inaccurate.
tenor.gif

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
oh wow look at that, some people were being needlessly petty towards Imran itt and now we have someone backing him up. Surely those same people will come back and act less shitty.

tomd96

Jul 6, 2018
Just a thought on the pricing argument that keeps coming up, don't forget the Crash and Spyro remake trilogies were each less than $60 and those came from Activision who aren't exactly a charity. I'm not sure it's so far fetched that there could have been a bundle of RE2 and RE3 for $60, even given the larger scale involved.

Oct 31, 2017
well it doesn't matter which one xD

Indeed as this thread doesn't make a lot of sense anyway ! :D

Ok, so this was a very early thing then. Never mind then ! :P

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. That would have made sense considering how closely connected the games are, but I have to wonder if it would have compromised either one. Like, if each portion would have ended up being shorter than what we got in RE2 and are getting in RE3.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
At best this sounds like something that was discussed if 2 and 3 were originally going to be relatively cheap remasters. Otherwise I suppose there may have been internal fears that 2 wouldn't have sold well by itself. Still, there's no way they would have been willing to sell both games at a loss.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
That's interesting cvx, but that would have had to have been waaaaay back when they were in just the talking stages and not even in production, wouldn't it? I know there was a period they shot around a lot of ideas while RE7 was still in the main focus of development and so much changed about RE2 during development, but as early as I've known about RE2 (which would be since around mid 2016 or so), I know that wasn't ever really the plan among the team working. I wouldn't be surprised though with some of the other weirder ideas though if this had been thought about, but this had to have been cut really early back when they were just experimenting with RPD?

It's probably best they didn't even humor that possibility though as RE2 ended up by itself having to cut a lot of content and hone in on what they wanted to get right to make their deadline. Trying to imagine if they'd gone forward with that, and the project probably would've not turned out as well and been more of a nightmare for the team.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
That's interesting cvx, but that would have had to have been waaaaay back when they were in just the talking stages and not even in production, wouldn't it? I know there was a period they shot around a lot of ideas while RE7 was still in the main focus of development and so much changed about RE2 during development, but as early as I've known about RE2 (which would be since around mid 2016 or so), I know that wasn't ever really the plan among the team working. I wouldn't be surprised though with some of the other weirder ideas though if this had been thought about, but this had to have been cut really early back when they were just experimenting with RPD?

It's probably best they didn't even humor that possibility though as RE2 ended up by itself having to cut a lot of content and hone in on what they wanted to get right to make their deadline. Trying to imagine if they'd gone forward with that, and the project probably would've not turned out as well and been more of a nightmare for the team.

How much content was cut. I mainly care about sp story campaign. Was it supposed to be longer?

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So basically it was going to be like Crash Team Racing by adding on content from the direct sequel? :D

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why people are so quick to accept whatever Dusk has ever said on the matter but shit on Imran. There's at least plenty of pieces that add up to this being plausible.

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
This entire time I thought that RE3make was developed after the success of the second which made me skeptical of its release date. Shows what I know that RE3 has been in development before RE2 released.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it's not true, RE2 did feel a bit lacking in content, so I hope the multiplayer that I have no interest in isn't the only thing they're doing to rectify that in RE3. I want more enemies. If Mercenaries is possible, that would be great, but I'll take just a better campaign, too.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
*shrug*

I thought RE2 remake was fine as a stand alone product. I definitely feel like I got my money's worth, one of the best games I've played in the last few years (along with Bloodstained).