• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Okay got it running, Rivatuner was causing it to crash.

p.s. This game stutters all the time on my computer. DMCV better no fucking stutter like this or else I will declare this engine to trash.

kinjx11

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
playing on PC with a monitor that can enable 10bit desktop color space , the game looks really bad with 10bit SDR enabled i mean banding ...etc

HDR and 8bit SDR works fine and locking the game at 60fps seems to make it run solid with no drops

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone that's running a 1080 ti share with me what features are at what setting? i'm seeing a lot of posts saying that they are running nearly everything on max and getting over 60 fps and I'm not getting anywhere near that.... Should Image Quality be just set at 100%?

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what exactly is the point of the different color depths or whatever? The sRGB or rec 07 or whatever it was called thing. Tried the brightness settings btw. My blacks looked good before but there's a wider array betweeen whats dark and whats bright now, before it lights were a bit more dimmed. Thanks!

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, been playing with SMAA, but some reflective surfaces, and especially the intro rainy scenes were very "glittery", if that makes sense? Wonder if it's just the game or if i need to go TAA after all.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
How did it work out? Did the version you receive remain uncut?
I watched a a twitch stream of the "uncut" CERO Z version and it is still heavily censored.

Uncensored and happy baby.

I had to change my download location to North America though for some weird last 2% or whatever.

Also for the Video's not playing bug, this worked for me in the end.

"re2_config" and change "UseVendorExtention=Enable" to "UseVendorExtention=Disable"

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone that's running a 1080 ti share with me what features are at what setting? i'm seeing a lot of posts saying that they are running nearly everything on max and getting over 60 fps and I'm not getting anywhere near that.... Should Image Quality be just set at 100%?

100% image quality is your monitor's resolution, so unless you specifically want to downsample it then you should leave it at 100%. What res are you playing at and what's your image quality set to?

I'm running it at 3440x1440 ultrawide with everything maxed, TAA + LumaSharpen and I'm constantly above 60 FPS except in scenes where there's a tonne of volumetric lighting, in which case I hit 60 FPS.

1080Ti and i7 7700k.

Oct 27, 2017
Man i hope the game doesnt look like shit on my 980ti....need to get around to trying this.

I'm running the game at 80% of 4K with HDR and most settings set to high except meshes and volumetric light (medium and low respectively), as well as just TAA anti-aliasing. I've got a i7 4790k running stock, 7200 rpm spinner drive and the game mostly runs great. Mostly around 55-60 FPS with some very odd dips down to the high 40s, which don't last long and are very infrequent.

Game looks great. Better IQ than the Xbox One X demo.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay got it running, Rivatuner was causing it to crash.

p.s. This game stutters all the time on my computer. DMCV better no fucking stutter like this or else I will declare this engine to trash.
Game runs really smooth 99% of the time (there are some very minor stutters, weirdly)

I have rtss, shadow play and gfe framerate counter on, no crashes whatsoever.

PC gaming sure is weird and windows far from optimized for gaming, that's what it is, no 1500$ GPU will change that (generally speaking)

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
100% image quality is your monitor's resolution, so unless you specifically want to downsample it then you should leave it at 100%. What res are you playing at and what's your image quality set to?

I'm running it at 3440x1440 ultrawide with everything maxed, TAA + LumaSharpen and I'm constantly above 60 FPS except in scenes where there's a tonne of volumetric lighting, in which case I hit 60 FPS.

1080Ti and i7 7700k.

I changed it to 100% and it's running perfect. I guess I messed up on that portion of editing and it fucked me over. Thanks for the help! I'm getting amazing performance now.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I changed it to 100% and it's running perfect. I guess I messed up on that portion of editing and it fucked me over. Thanks for the help! I'm getting amazing performance now.
That setting (resolution scaling) is downsampling. It's the equivalent of running at higher resolutions. For example, 1080p at 150% would be 1440p. 200% would be 4K.

It's the best but most taxing anti-aliasing solution.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
So I hooked up my PC to my 4k TV just to check out HDR and once again, I am reminded of the nonsense that goes on with HDR and PCs. So is RGB dithering plus limited black level the way to go with HDR? Or should I be forcing YCbCr so that I won't have to deal with setting black level? Also, why does Windows start outputting an extremely bright picture when moving from HDR back to SDR? I don't think I remember seeing this happening before. Brightness only returns to normal if I change a resolution setting in the nvidia control panel.

I guess one thing that's nice is the game is able to toggle HDR ingame for you, instead of having to manually enable it from within Windows' display settings.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Uncensored and happy baby.

I had to change my download location to North America though for some weird last 2% or whatever.

Also for the Video's not playing bug, this worked for me in the end.

"re2_config" and change "UseVendorExtention=Enable" to "UseVendorExtention=Disable"
Phew that's a relief to hear!
So as long as I find a ROW ver I should be golden.
Thanks for letting me know!

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to make it so, when you alt tab while playing in Borderless, the game doesn't switch to Windowed mode?

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Haven't dipped below 60 FPS at native 4k on a 6700k and Titan X. No stutter. Everything maxed except for volumetric lighting at medium and TAA instead of TAA/FXAA. And of course motion blur and lens flare/distortion off. I'm pleasantly surprised.

And yeah, SDR with rec 709 looks considerably better than HDR on my setup for whatever reason. Pretty weird since the HDR in RE7 looked great. Also, the vignette is super distracting. I guess I'll try disabling it.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
game runs like a dream for me. solid 60 fps (locked) at 1440p - 1070TI with 6700k. So refreshing to get a game that runs this nicely.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Some posts about micro stutter and crashes worries me, how bad is it, should I get it on the X instead of PC?

i7 4790k 4ghz
1080ti Lightning Z
16GB DDR3
1080p gsync

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
Some posts about micro stutter and crashes worries me, how bad is it, should I get it on the X instead of PC?

i7 4790k 4ghz
1080ti Lightning Z
16GB DDR3
1080p gsync

I'm on 8700K (Delided) + 1080 Ti on 1TB Samsung 970 Evo. CPU and GPU both overclocked and underwater no stutter. I've got clean install of Nvidia Driver 417.71 (I always use DDU). I'm playing with everything maxed out 120% Res Scale + TAA on 1440p 165Hz GSYNC display.

I even tested 8700K stock and 1080 Ti stock to see if I could see any stutter when going through doors like some people and I've not had any issues.

didamangi

Oct 28, 2017
Jakarta

i7 4790k 4ghz
1080ti Lightning Z
16GB DDR3
1080p gsync

3770k 4.5 ghz
1080ti
16gb
4k freesync monitor with gysnc on

Played 3 hours, no crashes. 4K resolution with 90% scale (so 1944p?) Everything max except volumetric on medium. 60 on gameplay 99% of the time, can drop to high 40s in cutscenes wih high amount of volumetric lightning, like the first zombie on the gas station)

Adaptive sync helps with the stutter if there's any I guess since I don't notice it.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
No issues here. It would be silly to get the game on console with those specs.
I'm on 8700K (Delided) + 1080 Ti on 1TB Samsung 970 Evo. CPU and GPU both overclocked and underwater no stutter. I've got clean install of Nvidia Driver 417.71 (I always use DDU). I'm playing with everything maxed out 120% Res Scale + TAA on 1440p 165Hz GSYNC display.

I even tested 8700K stock and 1080 Ti stock to see if I could see any stutter when going through doors like some people and I've not had any issues.
3770k 4.5 ghz
1080ti
16gb
4k freesync monitor with gysnc on

Played 3 hours, no crashes. 4K resolution with 90% scale (so 1944p?) Everything max except volumetric on medium. 60 on gameplay 99% of the time, can drop to high 40s in cutscenes wih high amount of volumetric lightning, like the first zombie on the gas station)

Adaptive sync helps with the stutter if there's any I guess since I don't notice it.
Thanks! Sounds like the PC version is the best choice.
Someone talked about weird mouse acceleration, is controller better for this? I have an old wired 360 controller.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
It seems this game can't detect mouse and keyboard and gamepad at the same time. It seems to stick with whatever it detects first upon booting up. Can't turn RTSS on and off while playing with gamepad. Also, when it was on it didn't report any VRAM usage.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I ran the game just fine on my system (1080Ti, 32GB ram, 6700K) and locked it to 60fps just because I was streaming it and didn't want weird framerate differences between what I was playing and what was being streamed.

HOWEVER, outside of some quick dips between areas that quickly went away (auto-saving maybe?), I had a real hell of a time with the Spark Shot.

Using that thing on enemies (well, mainly against the
sewer enemies and Birkin
) caused my framerate to drop hard into the 40s. I honestly have no idea what could be causing it and it was only with that weapon.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
There is a glitch where the screen turns dark and i cant see. Happened after the Birkin fight. It happened again after the chiefs office. Kinda annoying when yo havent saved for a while.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
From a VFX, geometry granularity, and image quality standpoint, there is no visual difference between DX11 and DX12.

DX12 is just another render path option you can experiment with. If DX11 performs better on your setup, simply use DX11.
Hey WBacon, the game is absolutely phenomenal. Congrats on the amazing critical reception!

That said, I have a couple nitpicks. On PC, the game really should not have a "half-rate" animations on distant enemies. Also, an official option to toggle the vingette on or off depending on preference would be very welcome. Those are really my only nitpicks so far. Other than that, the PC version runs and looks amazing. This engine is so smooth, especially with a high refresh-rate gsync monitor. The game looks amazing.

I know there's the thread on the Steam forums to report issues, but these aren't really issues.. they're obviously intentional by the developers, (console limitation I presume) but on PC there's no need for the half rate animations. Can you pass that along to the devs?

Anyway, congrats again! Cheers.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The game's AA options don't seem to do much but blur the image, at least at 1440p. I'd recommend resolution scaling or no AA at all for best IQ.
Your recommendation is just wrong. Due to how the game being mostly dark, shimmering is absolutely a thing and TAA does wonders to minimize it. Even 4K is a jaggy fest with no AA. Better to apply TAA and Reshade to sharpen the image a bit.

If you couldn't see a difference in aliasing between no AA and TAA at 1440p there's something seriously wrong with your setup.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Also, been playing with SMAA, but some reflective surfaces, and especially the intro rainy scenes were very "glittery", if that makes sense? Wonder if it's just the game or if i need to go TAA after all.

Ive noticed the reflected surfaces weird thing, glittery is a good description of it. I see it in puddles and on some upright surfaces in the main hall (like the shiny walls).

Oct 25, 2017
Well I made it to the second to last boss with red zone hp and no healing items because for some reason despite it being an umbrella lab there are like no healing sprays anywhere in the area lmao. I think im gonna call it here for the night and pick this up tomorrow, hardcore really doesn't mess around. It really is a ridiculously tense game, capcom did an outstanding job capturing the feel of the original while also letting the game clearly be its own thing.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There has to be an explanation to the stuttering some PCs suffer. It doesn't improve no matter what I set the graphics menu to. This constant annoyance makes the game basically unplayable for me as it is to be honest.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Is there any word at all when RTX features are expected to get patched in? I'm guessing at least 6 months what with how Shadow of the Tomb Raider is still missing raytracing...

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
There has to be an explanation to the stuttering some PCs suffer. It doesn't improve no matter what I set the graphics menu to. This constant annoyance makes the game basically unplayable for me as it is to be honest.
Do you have a video or even something like an Afterburner/RTSS graph of this? (make sure averaging is disabled in RTSS)
What spec is your system? CPU, RAM, HDD/SSD, GPU.
What OS and drivers are you running? (if Windows 10, which version?)
When does it stutter, and is there a way to reproduce it every time?

The only time I see stutter on my system is with the texture details turned up to high ≥1GB.
I don't think that it should be stuttering though, since I have a Ryzen 1700X at 3.9GHz, 32GB of 2666MT/s RAM, a Samsung 960 Evo NVMe SSD, and an 8GB GTX 1070.

you can drop the FXAA and just run TAA + Luma
TAA on its own misses a lot of bright surfaces that TAA+FXAA hits.
That said, you do get cleaner edges on the ones that are covered by TAA without FXAA. The same was true for RE7.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a video or even something like an Afterburner/RTSS graph of this? (make sure averaging is disabled in RTSS)

Nope. The game crashes on startup if I have Rivatuner running.

What spec is your system? CPU, RAM, HDD/SSD, GPU.
What OS and drivers are you running? (if Windows 10, which version?)
When does it stutter, and is there a way to reproduce it every time?
[email protected]
8GB DDR3
Your average HDD
AMD RX 570
Windows 7 64bit, latest AMD drivers

It stutters all the time basically, as I turn around, or look at something new. Easy to reproduce n the demo are, the police lobby. It stutters as I walk around the place, randomly, every few seconds or less. What settings I have doesn't matter. It stutters if I set everything to low including 0GB for RAM textures. I'm pretty sure it's even worse than the demo. Looking at my PC it seems to accessing the HDD all the time. That's all I can say about it.

PC gaming can be such a crapshoot. I got RE2 for "free" with my GPU so I'm not that miffed about this game, but I'll be royally pissed if the same shit happens with DMCV, a game I am several orders of magnitude more interested in.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone found the best settings for a 970 yet? I've mostly been happy with it locked at 60FPS but there are a few areas I've seen it dip. Great looking game though
How will it run with a 970 GTX? I'm thinking of buying an RTX 2070, but would love if I could play this at 60fps before.
1080p max, in game "Balanced" preset, except set textures quality to "Medium (0.5)", anything higher causes shutter for me.

Also, locking your framerate with RTSS is a must to prevent microshutter. I've also disabled in game v-sync and framerate limiter, and used driver v-sync (regular, not the adaptive), and set number of pre-redenderd frames to 3 just to be sure.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The VRAM stat is super weird. Playing at 1080p with stable 60 FPS with GTX 1080 and the VRAM stat says like 12 GB VRAM is used out of 8 GB, yet 2 hours in, not a single problem.

It's just like the demo. Everything on and maxed out except lens distortion, film grain, motion blur and IQ at 150%.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Jett, are you using the latest RTSS and Afterburner betas?
I just downloaded the latest beta, just in case.

No difference, since it seems it has little to do with GPU performance. If I stay still RTSS says 60fps all the time. But it randomly dips as I move around. I'm pretty certain it has to do with HDD access, I can see the HDD access light on my PC light up constantly when I play this game.

edit. if I remove vsync the fucking thing runs at over 90fps, but filled with stuttering of course.

Tayls

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't checked main game with afterburner but at least in the demo, my PC (i5 4690k 4.2 and gtx1070) had some stutters due to high CPU load if I played with default settings instead of cranking some of them up to put more load on GPU.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. The game crashes on startup if I have Rivatuner running.

[email protected]
8GB DDR3
Your average HDD
AMD RX 570
Windows 7 64bit, latest AMD drivers

It stutters all the time basically, as I turn around, or look at something new. Easy to reproduce n the demo are, the police lobby. It stutters as I walk around the place, randomly, every few seconds or less. What settings I have doesn't matter. It stutters if I set everything to low including 0GB for RAM textures. I'm pretty sure it's even worse than the demo. Looking at my PC it seems to accessing the HDD all the time. That's all I can say about it.

PC gaming can be such a crapshoot. I got RE2 for "free" with my GPU so I'm not that miffed about this game, but I'll be royally pissed if the same shit happens with DMCV, a game I am several orders of magnitude more interested in.

Wait are you using a mechanical HDD?

100% the games streaming in data off your windows page file as you're limited when it comes to memory. Also, Windows 10 memory management in such a ram limited environment is better.

The VRAM stat is super weird. Playing at 1080p with stable 60 FPS with GTX 1080 and the VRAM stat says like 12 GB VRAM is used out of 8 GB, yet 2 hours in, not a single problem.

The VRAM stat is broken just like Demo. Monitoring actual VRAM usage at 4K using GPUZ on 1080 Ti it does not come close to filling it up. Hopefully they can remove the annoying warning in patch.

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Can anyone explain what the 'UseVendorExtention' setting in the ini does? Apparently, disabling it solves the issue of the TV/monitor bug at the main hall of the RPD.

The colors, brightness and contrast doesn't seem right. If I go down with the brightness to make it as dark as such game should be, there need to be more contrast. I remember the demo not having that issue when switching to the rec709 color space.

Billy323

Oct 27, 2017
Playing at 1440p 144hz with an rtx2080 maxed out and frames are between 90 to 120fps. What's the best way to cap at 72fps as it stutters, should I use adaptive half refresh or something else.