• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
i7-6700K @ 4.7GHz
RTX 2080 Ti

Everything on max, in DX12 mode at 3440x1440 gave me around 100fps average, didn't see it go below 70fps.

Need to try it on DX11, I assumed 12 would be the better option so never bothered.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I seem to notice that even if you lower so much, there are spots in the main hallway that will make my OCi5-2500K hitch.

Also, man, people are going to play this with all sorts of low settings because some of it look like some soft painting filter.

ssjandres

Jan 13, 2019
Anti Aliasing options are definitely BAD for this demo. I didn't even notice it was raining outside until I disabled TAA. The blurriness is so bad, that the rain gets blurred out to the point that it isn't there anymore (even at 4k). Also, blood and wet surfaces are not shiny anymore, and that with the lack of rain destroys the atmosphere.

FXAA + TAA (or TAA alone):

bl6jchj.jpg

SMAA (or No AA or FXAA):

8cGls2F.jpg

The rain for me, is what made all the difference to create the atmosphere. This is obviously just a picture, but actually seeing the rain outside the window makes a huge difference.

I tried Reshade with LumaSharpening (and later with AdaptiveSharpening) but neither are strong enough to bring back the rain or the shiny surfaces.

I don't understand these complaints anyway tbh, the game looks wonderful, really good, yet people seem to mess around with stuff and then complain it doesn't look right?

It's like this is why we can't have nice things I suppose... Now the devs will "listen" and make everything look worse... (well that's what usually happens after this sort of perpetual nagging anyway)
I understand why people dislike blurry AA methods as it takes away from the details of the textures, I would prefer if developers added a "TAA sharpening" in the options but the truth is, things like reshade can add sharpening anyway so it's really not that big of a deal to me.

Truthfully I don't think TAA looks that bad and if anything the softer image hides a lot of flaws in modern graphics.

I don't mind the blurriness either, but missing components of the atmosphere that were clearly meant to be there just because TAA eliminates them...?

Of course, SMAA or FXAA don't work at all. Jagged edges everywhere and they are very distracting.

I really don't think CAPCOM will fix this for the final release, but I really hope they do.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anti Aliasing options are definitely BAD for this demo. I didn't even notice it was raining outside until I disabled TAA. The blurriness is so bad, that the rain gets blurred out to the point that it isn't there anymore (even at 4k). Also, blood and wet surfaces are not shiny anymore, and that with the lack of rain destroys the atmosphere.

bl6jchj.jpg

SMAA (or No AA or FXAA):

8cGls2F.jpg

The rain for me, is what made all the difference to create the atmosphere. This is obviously just a picture, but actually seeing the rain outside the window makes a huge difference.

I tried Reshade with LumaSharpening (and later with AdaptiveSharpening) but neither are strong enough to bring back the rain or the shiny surfaces.

I don't mind the blurriness either, but missing components of the atmosphere that were clearly meant to be there just because TAA eliminates them...?

Of course, SMAA or FXAA don't work at all. Jagged edges everywhere and they are very distracting.

I really don't think CAPCOM will fix this for the final release, but I really hope they do.
Hmm, have you ever looked out of a window and wondered if it's raining or not?
It kinda simulates that imo and I see the rain if I look closely (err at least I think so...)

I really like every effect in this it really helps the atmosphere and gives it that old games flair while still being modern and "sharp"

It's just things maybe stop appearing sharp if you look closely, that's true, but that doesn't bother me, it really helps the game here imo.

Also pretty sure a lot of the other settings people complain about aren't even implemented right or at all yet, the demo even tells you if you change stuff from the recommended settings to expect glitches, I mean it really doesn't get a whole lot more clearer...

Jimbojim

Jan 10, 2018
1080ti, 8600k @ 4.2, 1440p 144hz refresh rate everything at max excluding texture quality that was only at high. It was silky smooth.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The timer on the demo needs to go.

I actually considered NOT buying the game because the demo left me with such a bad taste in my mouth. I play slowly, and I felt cheated out of experiencing the demo - like someone ordered me to stop before I could truly decide about the game.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
How do those look?
[…]
Rec. 709, no calibration, I think looks good? Wouldn't want it any darker tbh (it's already really dark on my screen except the mainhall)
If you don't adjust the calibration options you get elevated black levels.

re2-histogram-n4jmw.jpg

Black is at 16 rather than 0, and bright objects will never be white.
If that looks correct on your display, you need to calibrate your display.

Hmm, have you ever looked out of a window and wondered if it's raining or not?
It kinda simulates that imo and I see the rain if I look closely (err at least I think so...)
I didn't check it in the game, but I remember thinking that it was impressive how much more realistic the rain effects looked on the title screen when I enabled TAA vs any other anti-aliasing option.

I actually considered NOT buying the game because the demo left me with such a bad taste in my mouth. I play slowly, and I felt cheated out of experiencing the demo - like someone ordered me to stop before I could truly decide about the game.
It was a really stupid idea.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yeah the timer is more of a gimmick, since the demo still has a limit.
Standard demo with no limitations would be better.

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
1080ti/R7 1700x ran at 4k with everything but textures maxed. Res scale at 80%. Seemed to run fairly smoothly, could do 100% scale but then got noticable dips in FPS.

Installed on SSD, saw no hitches.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't adjust the calibration options you get elevated black levels.

re2-histogram-n4jmw.jpg

Black is at 16 rather than 0, and bright objects will never be white.
If that looks correct on your display, you need to calibrate your display.

I didn't check it in the game, but I remember thinking that it was impressive how much more realistic the rain effects looked on the title screen when I enabled TAA vs any other anti-aliasing option.

It was a really stupid idea.

Ah yeah, I see. Well I didn't mean to say it looks "correct" just it looks really good to me, kind of like I expect a Resident Evil game to look. Whereas with the default "sRGB" settings it looked way washed out to the point I just stopped playing, it neither felt nor looked right...

Funny enough my monitor also has a sRGB setting I need to try the ingame sRGB setting with this (sRGB on my monitor also kinda looks too washed out for me so I rarely use it)

And yeah, it looks realistic to me too when I went outside, I didn't try any other settings than what it defaulted to for me, TAA+ something else?

And yeah, stupid, bless the 3DM guys though, not the first time the saved my day! ;)

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
You must calibrate the display settings for this game!

I will add that having examined the calibration settings more in-depth, I actually think that Rec. 709 profile is useful in this game. If I recall correctly, RE7 did not have the max/min brightness settings, which are critical for this.

Default settings:
srgb-default-q9jmt.jpg

Calibrated sRGB settings:
srgb-min-1-nxkmb.jpg

Calibrated Rec.709 settings:
rec709-9ljui.jpg

Note: you absolutely must leave the "film noise" setting enabled to prevent posterization/banding in the shadows.
I brightened up the shadows in the Rec. 709 screenshot with the setting on/off for comparison:
film-noise-9qkh3.gif

You also have to set the minimum brightness one step lower than it requests, so that the pattern disappears or else the brightness calibration will not work correctly.
The settings used for sRGB are:
  • Maximum Brightness: 1 below the maximum
  • Minimum Brightness: The lowest setting
  • Brightness: -6 from center (5th marking from the left)
The settings used for Rec. 709 are:
  • Maximum Brightness: 1 below the maximum
  • Minimum Brightness: The lowest setting
  • Brightness: 1 left of center (10th marking from the left)

I didn't bother with the in-game brightness because past games (RE6 at least) had test patterns that seemed totally broken on PC and led to obviously incorrect results... this game definitely looked way too bright and washed out as a result. Thanks for confirming that the patterns are actually important this time

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is it me, or is impossible to tell the visual difference between Volumetric lighting medium and high settings?
Medium gives me like 10+fps.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RTX2080 / i7 4790K @ 3440x1440 / everything at max / DX12 / SSD

The game ran smooth for about 95% of the time. Had some dips into the upper 50s. Also had the smal delay when i picked up new items.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I recorded my whole playthrough on PC, but unfortunately the FPS reading from shadowplay doesn't show up in the recording. Wish I had FRAPS on, dammit.

I had everything maxed with Textures at the 2GB setting and Film Noise, Vsync and Lens Distortion off. (1080p with image quality at 150%). The VRAM usage was at like 7.32 out of the 7.89 (or whatever it was) I had available and I thought it ran pretty great for me. Mostly just-north of 60 frames/sec but I'm pretty sure I saw the counter drop in the high-50s a few times and maybe lower during non-interactive parts, I can't remember. Something that I notice now that I didn't while playing is that there are parts of the floor that look "overly-sparkly." Not sure if that makes sense.

Was really happy how it ran on my system. (GTX 1080 with mild overclock/8700K stock).

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Thankfully, you can disable it with a trainer.

I don't mind it too much though, since we're so close to release.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recorded my whole playthrough on PC, but unfortunately the FPS reading from shadowplay doesn't show up in the recording. Wish I had FRAPS on, dammit.

I had everything maxed with Textures at the 2GB setting and Film Noise, Vsync and Lens Distortion off. (1080p with image quality at 150%). The VRAM usage was at like 7.32 out of the 7.89 (or whatever it was) I had available and I thought it ran pretty great for me. Mostly just-north of 60 frames/sec but I'm pretty sure I saw the counter drop in the high-50s a few times and maybe lower during non-interactive parts, I can't remember. Something that I notice now that I didn't while playing is that there are parts of the floor that look "overly-sparkly." Not sure if that makes sense.

Was really happy how it ran on my system. (GTX 1080 with mild overclock/8700K stock).
Use MSI Afterburner overlay, shows up just fine in shadow play recordings.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Use MSI Afterburner overlay, shows up just fine in shadow play recordings.
Yeah, that would've been a better option too, because then I could have like... frametimes and other metrics on there. I thought about that too and maybe leaving that "monitor" chart thing open so I could just scrub through that and look at the lows and any "anomalies."
Thankfully, you can disable it with a trainer.
Ooh, I'll have to look into that.

I like to explore around too, especially in a game like this. Although I was able to "finish" the demo on my Xbox One X last night with enough time to do another run where I barely killed people and just ran by everything and just nearly got to "the end" a second time within the 30 minute limit. This timed "one-shot" demo... I really don't like it and knew I wouldn't like it when I first saw news of it. At least with DMC5, while they took the download away from the Xbox store, you can still play it if you have it on your console.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has already been asked -- but is HDR broken on the PC version?
I'm streaming to my shield and it doesn't give me the option to turn on HDR although every other game (including RE7) does.

Is this an Nvidia thing or a RE2 demo thing?

Ootsy

Jan 13, 2019
Hey guys, anyone else seeing something strange with some of the shadows when you examine items? Specifically, every shadow that's being cast by a bullet and then if you look inside the ammo box itself. It looks like tiny dots to me. And then there's almost a ghosting effect within the shadow if you move the camera.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Sorry if it's already been discussed, but 1070 and an i7 can get 1080 60 at Max? Just watched DFs video saying the Vram display on the settings menu are a bit of a lie

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry if it's already been discussed, but 1070 and an i7 can get 1080 60 at Max? Just watched DFs video saying the Vram display on the settings menu are a bit of a lie

At 1080p
1080p with TAA and 150% internal resolution IIRC.

BTW, you can now disable sharpening and remove black bars for 16:9 cutscenes in 21:9 aspect ratio:

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=32975&p=174161

Great, now I have to download the demo again and test it.

Just tried it. Perfect. Thank you for this.

ssjandres

Jan 13, 2019
Sorry if this has already been asked -- but is HDR broken on the PC version?
I'm streaming to my shield and it doesn't give me the option to turn on HDR although every other game (including RE7) does.

Is this an Nvidia thing or a RE2 demo thing?

It should work, don't know about streaming it through shield tho.

HOWEVER, HDR is not working properly in any of the 3 versions. It has really washed out blacks (too bright even when you play with the settings), and the red and blue calibration step is always in the middle (supposedly the "correct" setting) for any screen by default.

You're better off not using it as of right now. Maybe the final game will have it fixed.

Last edited:

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
It should work, don't know about streaming it through shield tho.

HOWEVER, HDR is not working properly in either of the 3 versions. It has really washed out blacks (too bright even when you play with the settings), and the red and blue calibration step is always in the middle (supposedly the "correct" setting) for any screen by default.

You're better off not using it as of right now. Maybe the final game will have it fixed.
Man, its a huge bummer how these AAA games are completely dropping the ball with HDR.
RDR2 being the biggest offender.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
i7 4770K
GTX 780 (I know this is below the minimum requirements but I figured I'd give it a shot since it's free)
16GB RAM

Ran it at 720p with pretty much all other settings maxed.

There was some hitching at times but the frame rate seemed to hover around 60FPS most of the time as far as I could tell.

By far the biggest issue was audio lag during cutscenes, the voices didn't match up with their lip movements and it got worse the longer the cutscene went on.

Anyone think this is the kind of issue that might be fixed with updated drivers and a newer build? Can't really afford a new graphics card at the moment.

I can live with occasional hitching but I really hope I can get rid of the audio lag. I guess I can just turn down the settings one by one until I find one that helps with the problem..

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, doesn't this suggest that demo is operating only in limited range? Maybe elevated blacks are caused by a bug after all...
If I had to guess, it's probably like that so the game is still playable on displays which are not set up correctly by default; either that or it's a result of the game being built for HDR.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
If I had to guess, it's probably like that so the game is still playable on displays which are not set up correctly by default; either that or it's a result of the game being built for HDR.
That's really bizarre. I don't remember encountering a game that - if not respecting driver/console output format - at least doesn't offer a setting to choose between limited/full range. I'm pretty sure that wasn't an issue in RE7.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

bl6jchj.jpg

SMAA (or No AA or FXAA):

8cGls2F.jpg

I can definitely see the rain with TAA enabled and 1.4 resolution scale @ 3440x1440. Make sure to try to adjust the brightness settings accordingly, might be the culprit.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That's really bizarre. I don't remember encountering a game that - if not respecting driver/console output format - at least doesn't offer a setting to choose between limited/full range. I'm pretty sure that wasn't an issue in RE7.
It's the only game I know of which has black/white level adjustments available in SDR at all, so the fact that it defaults to 16 (and can be raised to ~31) is not too surprising to me.
But people need to be made aware that the black/white level calibration is actually very important for this game, while most other games look fine at their default setting.

Deleted member 10549

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Works great on old hardware.
AMD Phenom 965 3,6 Ghz
GTX 660 2 GB
8 GB RAM
1080p, 80% resolution scaler, everything low, TAA and some post processing enabled.
I get around 55 fps on average. It drops to ~45 when there is a lot stuff happening on screen.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Demo ran very good at 1440p and close to highest settings on my old ass rig with core i7 4790k and GTX 1080. Very excited for this release after playing the demo, RE 7 was one of the best games of 2017 for me. RE 4 Also stands as one of the best games of all time too for me.

ssjandres

Jan 13, 2019
I can definitely see the rain with TAA enabled and 1.4 resolution scale @ 3440x1440. Make sure to try to adjust the brightness settings accordingly, might be the culprit.

I'm playing at 4k, so 1.4 res scale is not possible for me to maintain locked 60 fps (using an rtx 2080). If I go down in res (1440p or 1620p) and use 1.3 - 1.5 I can see the rain, but then everything else is much blurrier cause of the lower resolution.

But even then, the rain is barely noticeable (as are the reflective edges of blood). Try turning TAA off yourself and walk through those hallways that have a window at the end. You'll see what I'm talking about. Game-changer

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
It's the only game I know of which has black/white level adjustments available in SDR at all, so the fact that it defaults to 16 (and can be raised to ~31) is not too surprising to me.
But people need to be made aware that the black/white level calibration is actually very important for this game, while most other games look fine at their default setting.
It's a shame that black/white level calibration is not available in HDR, you only have settings for peak brightness and paper white, so you're have either SDR with proper contrast after calibration, or HDR with raised blacks.
I've just tried running demo while forcing display in limited mode, while it does help, it doesn't solve the issue completely.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

It's ok. Don't buy it.

carda114

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone had any workarounds for this that doesn't involve the Windows codec issue? Because it pops up for me, but only on DirectX 11, and I apparently already have the codec installed.
Getting a weird visual glitch when examining the computer in the lobby. Looks exactly like this video posted on the Steam forum:

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had any workarounds for this that doesn't involve the Windows codec issue? Because it pops up for me, but only on DirectX 11, and I apparently already have the codec installed.

There are a lot of people experiencing this on the Steam forums, and it doesn't seem like anyone has found a solution other than switching to DX12, at least to my knowledge. I'm hoping Capcom has this resolved in the final version. In the meantime the demo plays perfectly fine if you don't interact with the computer at all and just continue on.

oufwid

Jan 2, 2018
Question: on my toaster, I get between 45 and 60 fps. I have put the variable frame rate option but I find it stuttery. Should I cap at 30 FPS and call it a day or is it best to put the adaptive vsync option from nvidia panel? Which option will be the smoothest experience?