• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Buy the DS version of RE1 (Deadly Silence). It's the best version of that game. They're not releasing the original anywhere unless it's deliberately a PS1 Classics thing.

I second this, the DS version is amazing. They added a new arranged game mode of the game that uses the DS features like the touch screen, and they even updated the models a bit so they didn't look like complete trash.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Load times in REmake are a bit longer which sucks but it doesn't make me regret my purchase. Opening a door took like 10-12 seconds. Really want to grab RE4 but reports of stuttering and the lack of a 30fps option means Ill hold off for now.

Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x If you guys could please try to run a comparison of the deadzones of the GCN and Wii versions, vs the crappy deadzones of the PS2, 360, PS3, PS4, PC, and XBO versions, I would love that.
They had to increase the deadzones size for the PS2 version thanks to the controller, which makes precise aiming really difficult (which is a huge issue in a game where weak spots can be specific eyeballs), and then every port since has used the PS2 deadzones, making them all unplayable for me and others.

dat boi

Oct 28, 2017
I'll pick RE4 up when they fix the icon and add gyro. The price is disappointing but I can stomach it if they fix those issues.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x If you guys could please try to run a comparison of the deadzones of the GCN and Wii versions, vs the crappy deadzones of the PS2, 360, PS3, PS4, PC, and XBO versions, I would love that.
They had to increase the deadzones size for the PS2 version thanks to the controller, which makes precise aiming really difficult (which is a huge issue in a game where weak spots can be specific eyeballs), and then every port since has used the PS2 deadzones, making them all unplayable for me and others.
I'm not sure how I would run that comparison. You're right, the deadzone is different but I can only discuss it. No way to present actual data, right? Either way, this video will be a discussion between myself and a guest!

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how I would run that comparison. You're right, the deadzone is different but I can only discuss it. No way to present actual data, right? Either way, this video will be a discussion between myself and a guest!
Well, I'm not sure if this would be 100% accurate, but what I personally would try, is get two Wavebird receivers, one Wavebird controller, and hook up the GCN controller adapter to the Switch version. Plug one Wavebird receiver into a GCN, and one into Switch, set both to the same channel.

Open up Controller calibration on Switch, and controller calibration on F Zero GX -- this SHOULD show if the sticks are being registered the same, and should (hopefully) rule out controller detection being different. If they are showing the same values, then you can open up re4 on both systems and show a comparison of the responsiveness in both versions of the game. The Blacktail pistol and Red 9 (with stock) should be the most stable weapons to compare, to reduce the "noise" of weapon shake.

That's how I would do it, assuming the analog values being shown across the calibrations shows as similar.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Well, I'm not sure if this would be 100% accurate, but what I personally would try, is get two Wavebird receivers, one Wavebird controller, and hook up the GCN controller adapter to the Switch version. Plug one Wavebird receiver into a GCN, and one into Switch, set both to the same channel.

Open up Controller calibration on Switch, and controller calibration on F Zero GX -- this SHOULD show if the sticks are being registered the same, and should (hopefully) rule out controller detection being different. If they are showing the same values, then you can open up re4 on both systems and show a comparison of the responsiveness in both versions of the game. The Blacktail pistol and Red 9 (with stock) should be the most stable weapons to compare, to reduce the "noise" of weapon shake.

That's how I would do it, assuming the analog values being shown across the calibrations shows as similar.
Someone is doing some science here.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Sadly, I don't have two Wavebird receivers - just one.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I clicked through a few pages, but didn't see a definitive answer (would be cool if it were added to the OP: No motion controlls for RE4, I got that right?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Why? Doom also got it after release.
DOOM wasn't a Capcom game.

Capcom clearly did not give an ounce of a shit with this. Bethesda had a long-term investment in supporting their first-time Nintendo titles and fostering the relationship with Panic Button who are porting all of their Switch FPS games and whose work on the then in-dev Wolfenstein 2 allowed them to put that into the DOOM release along with other improvements. They're a publisher trying to build good will and an audience on Switch. Capcom is just throwing meat to the wolves to cash a safe and easy check.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I clicked through a few pages, but didn't see a definitive answer (would be cool if it were added to the OP: No motion controlls for RE4, I got that right?
It's like literally all we talk about on allof the pages and there was never any confusion. It's also in the OP. It says what Switch-specific features there are. Which is that it's portable.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
RE4 looks very sharp in handheld mode, probably native 720p. The framerate is 60fps, but I'm already noticing drops in the first area. Nothing too bad, though. And it thankfully seems to have proper texture filtering. I don't see any pixel crawling on textures from a lack of mip-mapping.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
DOOM wasn't a Capcom game.

Capcom clearly did not give an ounce of a shit with this. Bethesda had a long-term investment in supporting their first-time Nintendo titles and fostering the relationship with Panic Button who are porting all of their Switch FPS games and whose work on the then in-dev Wolfenstein 2 allowed them to put that into the DOOM release along with other improvements. They're a publisher trying to build good will and an audience on Switch. Capcom is just throwing meat to the wolves to cash a safe and easy check.
Skyrim needs a bit more work, and I would love to even see the PS4 style of mod support for the Switch.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
I just found this from Game Explain.

Apparently lacking other Switch features ones might hope for like no HD rumble either. Sounds like issues that were existing in the previous HD ports are still there too like the brighter color palette compared to the original game, which I expected, to be honest. Nothing game breaking it sounds like, but nothing new or improved compared to other versions of the game.

Well, that made my decision really easy.

Would have been an instant purchase if it had motion controls.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Also not happening since that was an Iron Galaxy job that was a one-and-done and they're not porting any other games on that engine.
I wish the work wasn't done, there is still audio distortions and game breaking bugs in major quests that require a lot of hoops to jump through to complete.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018

I just wanted to quickly give you props for what I think is a super ingenious method of testing this. Kudos!

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought RE4 and while it's downloading I can already tell you about two minor things that are not appealing to my eyes.
The icon looks ugly and the games title on the Switch Home Screen is displayed as resident evil 4....are you kidding me Capcom? was it too much to work to capitalize the R and E in the title? the game title should be Resident Evil 4 not this lower case nonsense that quite literary no other title in my Switch library does this.

Oct 29, 2017
Is there an option for a 30FPS cap? Would be nice to have the option to play the original way.

Speaking of which, would also be nice to have an option for the original GCN buttons and layout; for those of us who choose to play with the GCN controller adapter.

But gyro/Wii Edition controls are the No1 priority. That HAS to happen!

I just bought RE4 and while it's downloading I can already tell you about two minor things that are not appealing to my eyes.
The icon looks ugly and the games title on the Switch Home Screen is displayed as resident evil 4....are you kidding me Capcom? was it too much to work to capitalize the R and E in the title? the game title should be Resident Evil 4 not this lower case nonsense that quite literary no other title in my Switch library does this.

That's intentional, that's how it is written on the box and how it has always been written on every single platform since the original GCN release.

The game's official title is "resident evil 4" (be grateful it's not "4 resident evil" like in the logo!)

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017

Yeah Resident Evil 4 always named resident evil 4 (Steam, PS3 / PS4 trophy )

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's intentional, that's how it is written on the box and how it has always been written on every single platform since the original GCN release.

The game's official title is "resident evil 4" (be grateful it's not "4 resident evil" like in the logo!)
I'd say that the games official title is "Resident Evil 4" but stylised "resident evil 4", same way with the Final Fantasy games that are always written with all-caps. But yeah, that is how it should be.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah Resident Evil 4 always named resident evil 4 (Steam, PS3 / PS4 trophy )

I never noticed that actually while I do own the PS3 version of the game I never actually booted the game up this will be the first time I will play a new version of the game ever since the Wii version but something about it just triggers my very minor ocd.

Last edited:

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Something really nice I want to point out about REmake (And I assume RE0 too) is that the game does feel like it supports HD rumble. It's most noticeable, and satisfying when knifing zombies where a successful slash will give you a satisfying rumble. It's sort of helpful too for the additional confirmation that you are slashing at something successfully.

Also, any hangups or pauses in the game might have just been me seeing things as the performance has been great since I first played it last night. I'm about to confront the first boss and leave the Mansion for the first time; and the only real downside has been slightly longer door loads. I don't mind as the door loads themselves don't bother me, but for people who already wish they could skip the door animations, they should take note.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'd say that the games official title is "Resident Evil 4" but stylised "resident evil 4", same way with the Final Fantasy games that are always written with all-caps. But yeah, that is how it should be.
Man as an English grad that is infuriating haha. I don't even care that it's how the logo looks, it just looks messy AF

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
RE4 looks very sharp in handheld mode, probably native 720p. The framerate is 60fps, but I'm already noticing drops in the first area. Nothing too bad, though. And it thankfully seems to have proper texture filtering. I don't see any pixel crawling on textures from a lack of mip-mapping.
Yeah, watching some quick video now - looks like the filtering is there and looks nice. Better than PS4 version easily, just on the account on that. Too bad there are frame drops, apparently, and way too bad that there are no gyro controls. Screw that.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Something really nice I want to point out about REmake (And I assume RE0 too) is that the game does feel like it supports HD rumble. It's most noticeable, and satisfying when knifing zombies where a successful slash will give you a satisfying rumble. It's sort of helpful too for the additional confirmation that you are slashing at something successfully.
That's just rumble. That has been in the game since it first came out. HD Rumble is not just an arbitrary new term for any rumble. It's supposed to describe rumble specifically tuned to take advantage of the sensitivity levels in the various motors. In short, just becuase the controller vibrates doesn't mean a game supports HD Rumble.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
welp

I could not resist RE4's sweet siren song. I am part of the problem.

sorry fam, but I needed RE4 on my Switch. Once Metroid Prime 1 arrives on the platform, I'll have my three favorite 3D games of all time on the system.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
A quick video looking at RE4's framerate docked in the village section. It drops to the 50s (and lower) when things get hectic.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
A quick video looking at RE4's framerate docked in the village section. It drops to the 50s (and lower) when things get hectic.

For RE4 I suppose I can deal with that. It really would be nice if they just offered the option to lock FPS to 30 but it looks like no other version has that option either except for PC.

Does the motion blur at least help it seem smoother?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Did you notice/feel the frame rate drops in gameplay?

It felt fine, honestly. The most severe drop was when a grenade exploded with a lot of enemies on screen at 2:09, and that was a quick second.

For RE4 I suppose I can deal with that. It really would be nice if they just offered the option to lock FPS to 30 but it looks like no other version has that option either except for PC.

I didn't try the motion blur option here, but if it's like the other versions of the game, it's gives it this awful ghosting look.

Essentially like the trails option in the older Grand Theft Auto games.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Granted I've only played it on PC, but the motion blur in the game is one of the worst implementations I've ever seen, and I usually like (or at least don't mind) motion blur. It's really blurry.

It felt fine, honestly. The most severe drop was when a grenade exploded with a lot of enemies on screen at 2:09, and that was a quick second.

Good to hear. Thanks!

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe if there is enough noise around this they will do something.
Even Square patched the Music bug in FFVII on Switch/Xbox (but still not on PS4 lol)

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've played it a bit, and I have to echo the motion blur being atrocious. Seriously one of the worst effects I've seen in a game. Keep it off!

Framerate is usually very good. The drops are hardly noticeable, but certainly there when things really heat up. Shame about no GameCube controller support.