• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I don't think I've felt this let down by a game in a long time. Feels like I've been excited for the potenitial of a definitive version of RE4 for a year now (they announced them a long while back at least...) and it's just a vanilla PS4 port. It doesn't even attempt to address the issues with the HD version

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
You know what... I'll just say this now since I feel like this is a safe space but... Not only is Resident Evil Revelations 2 the best RE game after RE4, it in many ways is also a straight up a better game than RE4.

It also has gyro, touch screen and amiibo support, mercenaries (raid) mode and co-op. And is $20, IIRC (it might be on sale now).

If you're bummed out by these REleases and you haven't played Rev 2, you owe it yourself to do so.

Can you play Rev 2 first and then RE4 after, or will that mess up story beats?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
That's gyro aim. There is no infrared (IR) sensor pointing at anything to make the aiming work. Hence it's not IR aim.
Yeah it's really not the same. It would have been nice, but for all the technical advancements of the joycon, gyro aim will never feel like IR aim. I remember playing Revelations 2 and being surprised how bad it felt in comparison to RE4 Wii.

I don't think I've felt this let down by a game in a long time. Feels like I've been excited for the potenitial of a definitive version of RE4 for a year now (they announced them a long while back at least...) and it's just a vanilla PS4 port. It doesn't even attempt to address the issues with the HD version
Yeah :'( Is there still that guy making the ridiculously high res mod on PC?

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I was just wondering if you or anyone else could speak to what those existing issues are? Resident Evil 4's a hall of fame game for me, but I wasn't aware the recent HD updates had problems that needed to be addressed.
The accerlated aiming glitch which occurs whenever you shoot an explosive is still in the game, it makes your aiming go crazy

I'm also not a fan of the lighting and textures, the original had a much stronger vibe and I believe the PC release even allows you to switch back the GameCube textures - unfortunately no console port allows that.

Apr 21, 2018
This is pretty disappointing, and I will wait for the inevitable sale as not to pay this ridiculous price...

But PS4-version be damned, I still can't wait to play this on Switch! Will be my 4th console to play it on, and the prospect of playing in a handheld is so juicy.

Who am I kidding I'll buy it all full price tonight at midnight. Let's do it.

Mr. Tibbs

Oct 27, 2017
The accerlated aiming glitch which occurs whenever you shoot an explosive is still in the game, it makes your aiming go crazy

I'm also not a fan of the lighting and textures, the original had a much stronger vibe and I believe the PC release even allows you to switch back the GameCube textures - unfortunately no console port allows that.
Ah, thanks. Seems like something that really needs to be addressed. :(

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Can you play Rev 2 first and then RE4 after, or will that mess up story beats?
they have nothing to do with each other.

Yeah it's really not the same. It would have been nice, but for all the technical advancements of the joycon, gyro aim will never feel like IR aim. I remember playing Revelations 2 and being surprised how bad it felt in comparison to RE4 Wii.
iirc they just haven't handled gyro as well as others have in those.

Yeah :'( Is there still that guy making the ridiculously high res mod on PC?
yes
https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/0...gest-resident-evil-4-graphics-mod-of-all-time
http://www.re4hd.com/?page_id=6064

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty disappointing that RE4 will not have gyro aiming. I feel like it'd be the perfect mix of the OG laser sight and the Wii pointer controls.

Maybe they'll patch it in later.

Honestly if it's anything like the Wii version then Gyro aiming takes away from the tension and difficulty. The Wii version is pretty trivial from what I remember. It was also ugly with that big ass cursor on the screen.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
RE4 was never designed around motion aiming, so it would be kind of silly to include it. No reason to repeat the mistakes of the Wii era.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
That is a baffling take, considering it was incredibly well received in the Wii version and there was no "mistake" being made. Gyro aim was in both Revelations ports.
What's baffling about it? The game was not changed to accommodate pointer/motion controls, nor was it ever designed for such. It's an inferior experience from other versions because it trivializes the entire game. Unless they were make larger changes to the game, I don't think it's a feature worth including in this particular game.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really interested in picking it up because portability would be great. The price tho, might wait on a sale

madmook

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Correctomundo. 60fps for RE4.
RE0/1 will be 30fps — same as PS4/XB1.

We also included an Achievements system within each game.

In a nutshell, features/content, performance, and graphical fidelity are pretty much on par with current gen systems. The benefit here is that you can enjoy the same experience on-the-go or in docked mode.
Will there be a patch to fix bugs like that accelerated aiming glitch?

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
What's baffling about it? The game was not changed to accommodate pointer/motion controls, nor was it ever designed for such. It's an inferior experience from other versions because it trivializes the entire game. Unless they were make larger changes to the game, I don't think it's a feature worth including in this particular game.
Honestly, just being able to aim already makes this game disgustingly easy.

Plus flicking the wiimote to knife a dude is the best.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
That is a baffling take, considering it was incredibly well received in the Wii version and there was no "mistake" being made. Gyro aim was in both Revelations ports.
That's why it's a baffling take. It's not an inferior experience at all. It's an incredibly fun option to play this game.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh thank god. You had me scared it was worse than the PS4 version for a second. On par with PS4 is all I need. In an ideal world I'd have motion aiming, but it's still portable RE4 so it isn't a deal breaker.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
People hankering for motion aiming could still get it with a Steam controller, Switch Pro controller, or DS4 on PC (through Steam) with some tinkering.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Does RE4 have the option to lock the FPS to 30? Can't remember if the other console version do or not.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
To me these games have to have extra content such as Nintendo costumes or alternative control schemes to justify the additional price. Should they lower the price to match others.

Dec 23, 2017
Not surprised about lack of motion controls on RE4. I played it on GC and that was a good enough experience for me. Capcom won't be getting any of my money.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
It's not unrealistic to expect gyro controls when both Revelations games had them and it's significantly more expensive

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played RE4 on 3 different systems and it was far and away most enjoyable with motion controls on Wii. You might consider it an inferior experience but everyone enjoyed it back then and people would like it now.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
It's not unrealistic to expect gyro controls when both Revelations games had them and it's significantly more expensive

Not unrealistic but it also shouldn't be a huge surprise either. I mean RE4 is an older game and has never had Gyro aiming implemented before..I dont think. It's probably a lot more difficult to implement in RE4's code than it was in the Revelation games. I dont know what I'm talking about either.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Not unrealistic but it also shouldn't be a huge surprise either. I mean RE4 is an older game and has never had Gyro aiming implemented before..I dont think. It's probably a lot more difficult to implement in RE4's code than it was in the Revelation games. I dont know what I'm talking about either.
Then they shouldn't have charged $10 than every platform this version of the game has been on.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Man, this hot takes about "game wasn't designed for motion aiming" rubs me the wrong way.

This is like saying Halo on PC is a mistake because it was designed for a controller.

It's close to silly arguments like "this game shouldn't be 60 fps because it was designed to be played at 30".

Guess what, people loved the shit of RE4 with motion aiming. Revelations 2 also wasn't designed to have motion aiming and, shockingly, it's there in the Switch version, and it works. It's not rocket science, you don't have to design a game around gyro aiming for it to work. If the game becomes too easy with it, just turn it off. No one is forcing you to use it. Even RE4 Wii could be played with a GC controller. Knock yourself out.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You really don't though. It's had gyro-based motion controls for about 13 years now.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You really don't though. It's had gyro-based motion controls for about 13 years now.

The IR stuff is not the same as pure gyro though, right? I mean, the pointer moved in a whole different way even IIRC. Not to say it can't be done -- it's already doable -- but they seem like two different implementations.

Oct 28, 2017
Motion controls in RE4 Wii were absolutely fantastic and though it may have made the game easier, it was a really fun way to play it and made it the definitive version. The Switch version should have gyro, but to be honest even if it did it wouldn't compare to Wii's controls anway. IR pointer controls are superior to gyro.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Played through the first chapter and I'm disappointed with two things:

1. I feel like there are moments of some weird random stutter, where the framerate doesn't seem stable. Like a very small hiccup.

2. My prefered controls are the one from the original Gamecube version (Type III). But those let you only aim with R and use your knife with L, but not with LB and RB. WTF? It's pretty damn uncomfortable with the joycons this way...

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
IR pointer controls are superior to gyro.

Sometimes! The biggest issue with gyro is having to recalibrate it every few minutes. But RE4's unique gameplay is actually pretty much perfect for the cursor could just reset
every time you lifted the gun to aim, which would offer something truer to how the original GNC game controlled, starting off from a neutral position.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Played through the first chapter and I'm disappointed with two things:

1. I feel like there are moments of some weird random stutter, where the framerate doesn't seem stable. Like a very small hiccup.

2. My prefered controls are the one from the original Gamecube version (Type III). But those let you only aim with R and use your knife with L, but not with LB and RB. WTF? It's pretty damn uncomfortable with the joycons this way...

1. That sucks to hear...if there is a 30fps mode then I wonder if that would eliminate the stutter.

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
ESRB Notification

Sorry, you are not eligible to view or download this content at this time.

Anyone else getting that message in the RE4 site? I can access Remake site with no issues

Plum

May 31, 2018
Going to the 'New Releases' section and seeing the three Resident Evil ports priced £5 under the brand new Team Sonic Racing and at the same price of the newer AC3: Remastered is just ridiculous.

Apr 19, 2018
Has anyone else preferred the TYPE III controller configuration for the PS4 version of Resident Evil 4, but was irked that they designated the L1 shoulder button to ready the knife, and R1 to ready the gun, rather than L2 and R2 respectively?

Easily remedied thanks to the PS4's in-system Button Assignment feature, but it's my hope that they configure the knife and gun to Switch's ZL and ZR shoulders, rather than L and R.

EDIT: It sounds like KayMote may have already confirmed by fear. Dang it. =\

Last edited:

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
i'm convinced the people that are bashing motion aiming for RE4 just weren't around for the wii port. that shit was cash and everybody loved it at the time! it's still fun as fuck today too.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember trying everything to make RE4 Wii Edition work with a gamecube controller, if I remember correctly it wasn't as easy as simply using the on-board controller ports, the game needed to be started with a Remote/classic controller setup.

The news I can use a gamecube controller on this version is actually very interesting.

But yeah, I also want to know more about RE1....

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of wish they would port the original Resident Evil 1 and 2 next. I really want to try the classic versions out.