• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Tokyo_Funk

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
If you look closer you will see that there's a lot of changes being made to how the scene is lit (shadows and light bounce) in many of these examples, not only contrast adjustments.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resident-evil-4-hd-project-progress-thread.1178/page-7#post-6273161

Someone figured out how to get depth buffer access in Resident Evil 4 for MXAO to work, so I think that means it should work with this too.

I would have said it's still on-topic, since it's discussing the shader that DigitalFoundry were demonstrating, not general ReShade usage.

Yeah, I asked the mod to add to the title, not remove it altogether. Oh well

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Did Quake 1.

Thought about trying Quake 2 but then I just got sad that we didn't get Quake 2 RTX yet.

lmagine

May 10, 2019
Wish I could get this to work with Deus Ex 1.

Depth buffer compatibility really is a big hit and miss.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝

Here's Half-Life Source. Couldn't get original HL1 working and this took some tinkering (can't have the HUD on for depth effects) but the results are my favorite so far, as is probably evidenced by the fact that I played this for 30 mins even though I just wanted to test it out. I actually want to keep playing this version with the mod because it adds quite a lot to the scenes.

I also tried Dead Space and it's working except every time you get the in-game HUD to pop up the effect disappears and the game has a lot of fog/steam/mist or whatever and that's always ugly as heck with the shading poking out behind there.

Last edited:

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
But I'm interested to see the results in Resident Evil 4... hey albert_re4hd, what do you think of this, is something doable with your "remaster"?

MXAO works just fine (with a few ignorable shortcomings) in RE4 using the modded D3D9 dll, I assume this will function the same way. I don't have the ray tracing shader to test with, but this is with the most recent HQ MXAO version:
33949162358_59e23bd140_o.jpg

Last edited:

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I used bloom on my video side to show off the shader pack, but it is really not overwhelming, I turned it a bit above basic crysis levels more or less. The SSGI does look a bit bloomy in crysis, it is just how it works there really ! Not always, but at times it looks a bit overlayed.

It probably works better in games that have less messed up depth bufffer access - just we could not pass up the opportunity to doa video on crysis coop and around the anniversary of my original Crysis video.

These shots are courtesy of Dark1x
20190505095249_1zgkwe.jpg

20190505095730_1bcjw1.jpg

20190505095420_1jpjhz.jpg

HOW? WHERE?

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't seem to get HL2 depth buffer to work! It's listed as perfect in the compatibility list.

Dark1x Did you have to do anything special to get it to run?

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you need an RTX card to try these out? Or can you do them with a, lets say 1080ti?

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl: Perfect
Proceed to check my room for a gaming PC. Realize I no longer have one.
Begin to sob.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here is another one of Dying Light. It does not like the indirect lighting at all so it is completely off

Vemir9q.png

DPMnhyz.png

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl: Perfect
Proceed to check my room for a gaming PC. Realize I no longer have one.
Begin to sob.
I tried Stalker and while it does work as intended, it doesn't look very good when there is fog involved because the shading shines through and also vegetation gets super dark shadows which looks weird.

Robert

Nov 15, 2017
I wasn't seeing any love for Call of Duty yet with this, so I'm taking the plunge. Advanced Warfare Multiplayer Map.

Before

W7Hj9k.png

After

W7H0vx.png

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm

This is all I get in HL2 in terms of settings in the DX9 tab

iAwWfsc.png

I can't mess with anything and the one selected definitely doesn't look right and only really affects the gun model

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Hmmm

This is all I get in HL2 in terms of settings in the DX9 tab

iAwWfsc.png

I can't mess with anything and the one selected definitely doesn't look right and only really affects the gun model
You may have to mess around with the global parameters. Display the depth map with the DisplayDepth shader, then test out the settings like reversing etc. and when you get it to show the actual depth apply those settings in the setting above where you set shader parameters.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You may have to mess around with the global parameters. Display the depth map with the DisplayDepth shader, then test out the settings like reversing etc. and when you get it to show the actual depth apply those settings in the setting above where you set shader parameters.

Thanks! Turning off the reversed depth made it work!

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried Portal or Portal 2 yet? I just wanna see the light coming off a portal. Also maybe one of the Trine games? Those have so many lights in any given scene.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Has anyone tried Portal or Portal 2 yet? I just wanna see the light coming off a portal. Also maybe one of the Trine games? Those have so many lights in any given scene.
Couldn't get it to work with Portal 2 yet, I mean ReShade itself, not just the RT shader.

The depth buffer from Assetto Corsa is funky. I managed to get access to it, but not only becomes the Game monochrome when a certain buffer is selected, the depth buffer overlay looks like a top down map, never mind the actual view. It's weird af.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Source engine games aside from Black Mesa are a bit fucky with the depth buffer, best bet is to use the modified d3d9 dlls from this page as it lets you get the depth buffer in Source games without disabling the HUD and makes games like FEAR 2 or RE4 work correctly.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Source engine games aside from Black Mesa are a bit fucky with the depth buffer, best bet is to use the modified d3d9 dlls from this page as it lets you get the depth buffer in Source games without disabling the HUD and makes games like FEAR 2 or RE4 work correctly.
Ohhhh thanks, will try that. Got Portal 2 to recognize ReShade but the depth buffer is problematic.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Personally, I'd love to see:

Skyrim
Dragon's Dogma
No Man's Sky (doesn't work with vulkan?)
Borderlands (1 or 2)
Rocket League?

Doom and Prey I saw earlier and dear lord

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Here's a video of me messing about with the Outline plugin from a while back. Youtube compression really did a number on it.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
I tried Stalker and while it does work as intended, it doesn't look very good when there is fog involved because the shading shines through and also vegetation gets super dark shadows which looks weird.
Oh so that compatibility list is not too reliable. Thanks for the info, at least I won't feel so bad for not being able to play it at the moment.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody tried either of the Dark Souls 2 versions yet? I really want to see if this can do anything for that game.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Oh so that compatibility list is not too reliable. Thanks for the info, at least I won't feel so bad for not being able to play it at the moment.
It is reliable in that the effects work as intended. But with stuff like fog the added shading is not obscured by it, so you see the shadows on top of the fog like this
darksoulsii_2016_03_237ojb.jpg

(not from this shader)
Maybe others aren't as sensitive to it as I am but I can't stand it.
Nobody tried either of the Dark Souls 2 versions yet? I really want to see if this can do anything for that game.
It works pretty well generally, but in some cases the player character can mess up the shading.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
It is reliable in that the effects work as intended. But with stuff like fog the added shading is not obscured by it, so you see the shadows on top of the fog like this

(not from this shader)

It works pretty well generally, but in some cases the player character can mess up the shading.
Cool to hear! I would appreciate some screenshots (especially before/after if possible)

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019

(not from this shader)

Ok got it! But other than that does it look any good? Talking about STALKER.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Now here is some serious shit.
o4Nzx2Y.png
Unfortunately only works at native res and in windowed mode.

Cool to hear! I would appreciate some screenshots (especially before/after if possible)
I may take some pics.
Edit: I actually already made pics.
jAiZJ3y.png

e0Q1Ft9.png

Ok got it! But other than that does it look any good? Talking about STALKER.
Yeah, the effect itself looks nice like with other games.

Edit:
Quick bad vid of Demon's Souls in RPCS3

Last edited: