• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
AdaWong

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
Jesus Christ miss, your job is beyond awesome here. I can't overstate how much I appreciate this thread. And I'm still waiting to see your vote!
First off thank you so much, I said it already but it means a lot to me!

Secondly, I included my ranking right there. XD Any guesses who's #1 before you open up the ranking?
492667263854575617.png

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you so much for the ride, Ada! It was a lot of fun.

And don't forget, everyone: pre-order Resident Evil 2 today!

csPfVxA.gif

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
First off thank you so much, I said it already but it means a lot to me!

Secondly, I included my ranking right there. XD Any guesses who's #1 before you open up the ranking?
492667263854575617.png

With such drama and "it's complicated" I can only think of one RE character. Here's to her and Jill to meet soon. Because they haven't. And that's a crime against nature worse than any BOW. Except Nemesis. He is worse.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks again, Ada! I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive us for the #5 ranking. But, wait, what's this...

So I hope doing it all in one (very long) shot was still fun and worth it! This is the definitive RE protagonists ranking for a good while, for now... but the RE villains might want to know where they stand too, no? I guess that's a thought for another day, but until then....

Do I smell the tantalizing scent of another vote for Ms Wong to win? She's certainly been on enough villains' payrolls over the years.

OP
OP
AdaWong

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
Thanks again, Ada! I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive us for the #5 ranking. But, wait, what's this...

Do I smell the tantalizing scent of another vote for Ms Wong to win? She's certainly been on enough villains' payrolls over the years.

I'm always up for another poll to potentially rig for my favor! But sadly I don't think I qualify to even be in that one...
giphy.gif

...A (literal) knock off is, though!
4C2FB6FD353F6C165848EF356C6E8AAB5B8A45FC

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went to sleep after number 10.

What a terrible list. You all should be ashamed.

I love you, REra.

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Just woke up

I fucking knew it from the beginning, hence why I even said "everyone's favorite character" (Jill).

Fuck, so mad. But at the same time, this was beautifully done AdaWong

Thank you for this, THANK YOU ERA

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to vote but couldn't be bothered because you had to rank all the characters and I don't know them all (haven't played Rev2 & VII). I should have voted though, then Leon would not have been robbed of his rightful 1st place. Also, boring Chris is way too high.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
User Warned: Inappropriate Language
Some thoughts on why Jill is indeed the best:

✅Both fem thot (RE3), and tough dom lesbian (RE1).
✅Invented shoulder pad armor
✅Both blonde and brunette
✅Late 90s girl power icon.
✅Barry Burton's unrequited love interest. She's just too good for you Barry.
✅Treated the worst by Capcom post 2000, which says it all really.
✅Only RE character whose surname is a holiday.
✅She's into Latino guys/good taste in men.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
This thread is awesome, sadly I've skipped everyones reasons as Im currently playing through the series in release order for the first time ever, having just finished Chris's walkthrough with the "Save Everyone" ending, and now Im playing with Jill and have RE2 pre ordered and ready.

Great thread and I wouldn't mind a sequel wether if its villains, or another series (kingdom hearts lol), thanks for the thread and thanks to the RE fandom for making me more interested in the games :)
(Please make an RE3make)

Nov 21, 2017
Was not involved in the voting process, but I'm happy to see ERA getting the top two right. Jill and Leon are the GOATs.

When can I get another mainline RE with Jill as the protagonist please?

HPH

Oct 25, 2017
AdaWong I just saw your own rankings and Steve was ranked 17th.... I trusted you Ada. ADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
387066436775837706.png

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Chris is a boring af generic videogame protagonist. Though Jill post-RE3 is basically a different character and much worse.

I can't explain why, but Chris's RE5 redesign literally ruined the character for me. When I think of Chris now I think of that version... and I am instantly upset. Jill, on the other hand, wasn't touched by her RE5 reinterpretation (in my mind). I never saw those two versions of Jill as being the same character. For some reason my brain severs the the PS1 era Jill and her Nina Jilliams incarnation (in RE5 and beyond).

#28 Keith Lumley
#27 Ethan Winters
#26 Parker Luciani
#25 Jessica Sherawat
#24 Natalia Korda
#23 Ashley Graham
#22 Joe Baker
#21 Carlos Oliveira
#20 Billy Coen
#19 Josh Stone
#18 Piers Nivans
#17 Steve Burnside
#16 Mia Winters
#15 HUNK
#14 Jack Krauser
#13 Moira Burton
#12 Helena Harper
#11 Jake Muller
#10 Rebecca Chambers
#9 Barry Burton
#8 Sheva Alomar
#7 Sheva Alomar
#6 Claire Redfield
#5 Chris Redfield
#4 Jill Valentine
#3 Leon S. Kennedy
#2 Albert Wesker

giphy.gif

#1 The Mirror
Wait... not only are you going to put Sheva above my girl Rebecca, but you're going to put Sheva ahead of her twice? That is some cold shit, Ada. Justice for Rebecca!

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I can't explain why, but Chris's RE5 redesign literally ruined the character for me. When I think of Chris now I think of that version... and I am instantly upset. Jill, on the other hand, wasn't touched by her RE5 reinterpretation (in my mind). I never saw those two versions of Jill as being the same character. For some reason my brain severs the the PS1 era Jill and her Nina Jilliams incarnation (in RE5 and beyond).
What is it about PS1 Jill that you appreciate so much, though? She's just a blank slate character. RE5 gave her some good characterization.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Sheva took Sherry's place!

Sheva took out Sherry in cold blood, eh? You know what? I can respect that.

What is it about PS1 Jill that you appreciate so much, though? She's just a blank slate character. RE5 gave her some good characterization.

Jill is very much a blank slate in Resident Evil 1. However, she has plenty of attitude in Resident Evil 3. She doesn't take shit and she handles business. She goes toe to toe with the Nemesis and fucks him up on the regular, too. Jill is great in Resident Evil 3.

In Resident Evil 5 she is just a plot device wedged in between a tired trope and a skintight suit.

Last edited:

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

I mentioned this is my voting entry. I don't think RE characters have too much depth or characterization to them. It's about how fun they are and how awesome is it to play with them. With that perspective, it's easy to understand why Jill made such an impression. In the end of the day, she is just a cool character.

Jill is very much a blank slate in Resident Evil 1. However, she has plenty of attitude in Resident Evil 3. She doesn't take shit and she handles business. She goes toe to toe with the Nemesis and fucks him up on the regular, too. Jill is great in Resident Evil 3.

Carlos: Let's give up.
Jill:

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I mentioned this is my voting entry. I don't think RE characters have too much depth or characterization to them. It's about how fun they are and how awesome is it to play with them. With that perspective, it's easy to understand why Jill made such an impression. In the end of the day, she is just a cool character.
I get that, but sometimes they actually do get good characterization, and it seems like people condemn it because it doesn't line up with their own nostalgic, preconceived idea of whatever they thought the character was like. RE5 makes Jill super distinct (she's got the most elaborate melee moves of any character) and awesome to play with. The same doesn't quite apply to RE1 or Revelations Jill, as a point of comparison, but I suppose some do prefer those iterations of the character.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017

In Resident Evil 5 she is just a plot device wedged in between a tired trope and a skintight suit.
Ah, alright, I get it.

You ain't giving her enough credit for 5, though. Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape Jill? She's a boss.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Carlos: Let's give up.
Jill:

giphy.gif

Jesus Christ, a Jill slap is like receiving a hook from Tyson.

The first time you run into the Nemesis with Carlos, Jill immediately takes charge, tells him to take cover behind the bar, and toasts the Nemesis' ass with an improvised explosive. She is all about that gorilla warfare. Afterwards, Carlos whines about her acting dangerously (I can't remember the exact line). Yeah, motherfucker, she IS dangerous.

Ah, alright, I get it.

You ain't giving her enough credit for 5, though. Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape Jill? She's a boss.

You have to understand, I HATED my time with Resident Evil 5. It is the most disappointing game I have ever played because I was a huge fan of the series up until that point (and still am, but now there are a bunch of games in it I don't care for). I didn't play any of the RE5 DLC. The only Jill I saw in RE5 was in the main game.

Last edited:

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The first time you run into the Nemesis with Carlos Jill immediately takes charge, tells him to take cover behind the bar, and toasts his ass. She is all about that gorilla warfare. Afterwards, Carlos whines about her acting dangerously (I can't remember the line). Yeah, motherfucker, she IS dangerous.

"You almsot barbecue both of us" I think.

Anyway, one of the great things about Jill and Nemesis is that although the latter is this huge, terryfing creature, Jill can do more than run from him. She gives as good as she gets. You already menioned the bar scene, but there are several others. If the R3make can match that it would be a dream.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
"You almost barbecued both of us" I think.

Anyway, one of the great things about Jill and Nemesis is that although the latter is this huge, terryfing creature, Jill can do more than run from him. She gives as good as she gets. You already menioned the bar scene, but there are several others. If the R3make can match that it would be a dream.

Ha, that does sound an awful lot like Resident Evil writing to me.

I agree. I think if the Resident Evil 2 remake sells well we will see the third game be remade. That would be amazing!

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
✅Both fem thot (RE3), and tough dom lesbian (RE1).
I get that this was already modded, but we as a society really have to move beyond associating looks and personality with sexuality. Jill dressing provocatively and behaving in a feminine manner does not make her straight, Jill dressing and acting like a cop does not make her gay.

On that topic, I don't actually think she's ever had a canon love interest.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There was this:

hqdefault.jpg

It seems it was changed to a dog in the new RE2. Also, some pictures from RE3 implied she might have gone out with Carlos, but that was never mentioned in any other way.
Maybe it was always a dog, and Claire is just that paranoid of being single. She does have a pretty awful track record with the men she dates transforming into hostile abominations, after all. Anyone would develop a complex after a while...

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I get that this was already modded, but we as a society really have to move beyond associating looks and personality with sexuality. Jill dressing provocatively and behaving in a feminine manner does not make her straight, Jill dressing and acting like a cop does not make her gay.

On that topic, I don't actually think she's ever had a canon love interest.
It's implied in RE2 that she had a boyfriend.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Jill and Leon being the highest ranking female and male lead respectively is as it should be (would've liked to see Ada higher in the overall results than she is, but top 5 is still decent).