• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
On the previous site, they were yearly I believe. As far as I know, a 2019 thread would be on track for late summer. It depends on where we all are and what our schedules look like as this was a laborious process. In regards to the posts getting stale due to releases, I imagine people are still playing older games and considering them favorites or essential. I also believe people are finding stuff they missed, only for it to find a place in their top games list 20 years after it came out. I imagine some lists will shake up in the next thread. Per previous thread iterations on the old site, there were quite a few shake-ups in the order.
can confirm my list will be changing a lot, this vote has lit a fire under my ass to pick up my retro backlog again

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
Picked this up during the steam sale on the back of really interesting videos and great reviews.

General question: about how long is a play through? I'd like to start it soon but work starts back up in a week and I've got some other life things on the back burner.

I would say average playthrough doing some side quests and environmental puzzles would be about 40 hours. Completionist (which I never do) could probably hit 60 or more.

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
Sooooo, it's about time to do this all over again, yeah? :D
I don't know if this should be annual or once every two years. How many rpg's can one play in a year that also might change their list? Wait, lemme check my played games from the last twelve months.

[insert waiting tune]

I've played seven and two are going to be in my next list. Okay. I'm good to go!

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I would do it once every two years. Hell, maybe even three. This one still feels fresh, honestly.

Also, I am surprised this thread still hasn't been added to the Vault.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
It would probably be best to wait a while after FF7 Remake and Cyberpunk releases before doing another one of these. I don't feel like there are enough new contenders yet to shake things up significantly.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Let's way for ff7 and cyberpunk to come out maybe?, these two are the big heavy hitters that could impact the voting

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
I think just being a more well-known thread and getting more participants will shake things up this year even if there aren't a ton of new obvious rpgs in contention, at least in the bottom ~50 entries.

That said, waiting til 2020 is cool too, but if we did that, maybe we can cover a different genre this year, and alternate them? Not all genres are worthy of a top 101, but platformers would be.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
097 - Pillars of Eternity
096 - Mass Effect 3
095 - Shadowrun Dragonfall
093 - Divinity: Original Sin
091 - Fallout
080 - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
075 - Horizon Zero Dawn
068 - TESIV: Oblivion
058 - Fallout 3
057 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution
052 - Diablo 2
050 - Star Wars: KOTOR 2
049 - World of Warcraft
044 - Fallout 2
043 - Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodline
042 - Deus Ex
041 - Divinity: Original Sin 2
035 - TESIII: Morrowind
030 - Dragon Age: Origins
027 - Undertale
026 - Star Wars: KOTOR
018 - TESV: Skyrim
016 - Mass Effect
014 - Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
013 - Planescape: Torment
012 - Mass Effect 2
009 - Fallout: New Vegas
003 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Based purely on where they were made, because I'm not going to argue genres.
28 out of 101, so not too bad.

I'm still not ok with the fact that no a single of the top three Bioware games (ME2, BG2 and KoTOR) made into the top10.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
But I wanna see how high Dragon Quest XI goes

I've been trying to fill in my gaps on the list tho and if we wait till next year at least I won't have to worry about my completion % dropping

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
There is a 7% chance the Final Fantasy VII Remame will become my number 1 game, so I'm looking forward to the vote after it's out.

Funny enough there's a better chance Baldur's Gate III will become my new number one, but that's partially because it will presumably launch in a complete state.

Hell, I'm not counting out Cyberpunk 2077.

Three games with a punchers chance of overtaking my number one game...wow. I can only hope.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I think just being a more well-known thread and getting more participants will shake things up this year even if there aren't a ton of new obvious rpgs in contention, at least in the bottom ~50 entries.

That said, waiting til 2020 is cool too, but if we did that, maybe we can cover a different genre this year, and alternate them? Not all genres are worthy of a top 101, but platformers would be.

I said before that I think platformers are such an old and varied genre that it would be a great topic. There's a genre that encompasses everything from Mario to prince of Persia to oddworld to mirrors edge to fez and so on.

Just a deluge of interesting options and history.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
61/101.

Some notable ones I missed were...

The World Ends With You, Kingdom Hearts (1 and 2) and Dark Souls II. I considered the latter, but I thought for sure it wouldn't be in the top 100 so I didn't bother...

Tension Mask

Oct 28, 2017
Taking the quiz and then seeing what I missed reminded me that games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne made it. Oy... Still fun though.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Oh man. It's been a quick minute since I made a quiz on sporcle. Good stuff. Most of mine were rpg related too.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I got 65/101, that was fun.

Realizing that FromSoft exists at the 2 minutes left mark was a revelation.

Dunno how on earth I forgot about Mass Effect though considering it's one of my favorite series. Quite the brain fart.

Same goes for Xenoblade.

r2ZvKzR.png

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
I think we should update the list by the end of summer. Capping off the PS4/XB1 generation would be a good place to break and it would allow a few big games like FFVII:R and Cyberpunk to rank.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Would another user or two be interested in starting the Essential Platformers equivalent of this project? I have previously assisted on the Essential Horror games thread as the accountant for votes. I maintained the spreadsheet where we kept track of votes, and would be happy to play the same role there.

I am pretty useless when it comes to the talent of graphic designing though, other than giving ideas.

I think we should update the list by the end of summer. Capping off the PS4/XB1 generation would be a good place to break and it would allow a few big games like FFVII:R and Cyberpunk to rank.

iirc, the original plan was to do this every other year, so it all lines up perfectly for that to be the case! I can't wait to see what rises and falls since 2018.

I personally think we should just boost the ranking to 150 rpgs too. We did 25 bonus HMs last time anyway, and there were additionally a lot of great games bubbling under, so it's not a big stretch. This is not a genre where it will be a struggle to come up 150 quality games, and I believe it's important for understanding and recommending all the genre has to offer to "be extra." It may require leaving voting open for a slightly longer period to increase amount of data.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
I'm still not ok with the fact that no a single of the top three Bioware games (ME2, BG2 and KoTOR) made into the top10.
Reseteras preferences lean heavily towards japanese games, so its not really a suprise. 65+ games on this list come from one country, and the rest of the world is lumped together as "wrpgs". Its an interesting phenomenon.

Edit: Only two out of the top ten are from outside of Japan. Thats also interesting.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Reseteras preferences lean heavily towards japanese games, so its not really a suprise. 65+ games on this list come from one country, and the rest of the world is lumped together as "wrpgs". Its an interesting phenomenon.

Edit: Only two out of the top ten are from outside of Japan. Thats also interesting.

The Western games may have divided votes a little more. I strongly prefer ME1 and KOTOR 2 over ME2 and KOTOR for instance.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
The Western games may have divided votes a little more. I strongly prefer ME1 and KOTOR 2 over ME2 and KOTOR for instance.
Hmm, why would japanese games not have divided voting to a similar degree? There are even more sequels there, Final Fantasy alone has over a dozen games.

I think that the simplest explanation for this is that Era, like GAF before it, skews way more towards japanese games than the general public/gaming community, which is okay, this is all about personal taste after all.

Still, its interesting to point out the phenomenon.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Hmm, why would japanese games not have divided voting to a similar degree? There are even more sequels there, Final Fantasy alone has over a dozen games.

I think that the simplest explanation for this is that Era, like GAF before it, skews way more towards japanese games than the general public/gaming community, which is okay, this is all about personal taste after all.

Still, its interesting to point out the phenomenon.

I tend to think there are more heralded "classics" that almost everyone likes in terms of JRPGs. Stuff like Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, FFVI, etc. WRPGs have some similar titles (Planescape Torment, Deus Ex, etc) but those heralded titles are more niche and not mega hits like the big JRPG classics are.

Dec 2, 2017

I'm all for updating it, Three Houses is going to end up surprisingly high in my all time list.

But I also hate recency bias, I think it really shows on the existing list. There should probably be a moratorium for stuff still in the middle of its hype cycle like FF VII:R & Cyberpunk will be in the summer. I don't know what type of time period would be fair. But it just doesn't do anyone who's looking for recommendations any service to see flavours of the month ranked over legit classics when they might well be forgotten or have dropped in people's estimations after a little while.

A 2014 poll would have had Dragon Age: Inquisition really high, as it was winning GOTY awards at the time. It didn't even make this list. Games like Final Fantasy XIII, Lost Odyssey or The Last Story absolutely would have made it during their hype cycles, but over time their defenders have cooled off and the games are nowhere to be found.

Meanwhile, certain games like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 seem to have grown in people's estimations.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
I tend to think there are more heralded "classics" that almost everyone likes in terms of JRPGs. Stuff like Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, FFVI, etc. WRPGs have some similar titles (Planescape Torment, Deus Ex, etc) but those heralded titles are more niche and not mega hits like the big JRPG classics are.
Im not so sure i agree, if anything, the jprg pool seems way more diluted to me, and the list itself is so big that it allows for a lot of "niche titles" , its just so happens that all most of the user picks are from Japan.

I wouldnt exactly call most of the rpgs made outside of Japan "niche" in comparison to jrpgs, and Id go so far as saying that this mentality is an example of Reseteras Jrpg preference, if anything.

I'd honestly say the opposite, that most of the jrpgs on this list are way more obscure to the general public. Dragon Age Inquisition is a good example, its a game that has recieved some pushback after release, but it was generally well recieved in the industry and among fans, won a lot of awards and sold very well. I can almost guarantee that it would appear on almost any list of top 100 rpgs, but it didnt here, and thats because era prefers japanese games. Again, thats perfectly fine, but I wouldnt exactly say its because its "niche" as compared to 65+ jrpgs on this list.

Edit: Another example is how the first Fallout, loved by most and one of the most influential games of all time, barely makes the list. And ahead of it are some truly obscure jrpgs.

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

Yes please. Pathologic 2 is hands down my favorite RPG since The Witcher 3, I need it on my list. ELEX and KCD have a decent shot at making the cut as well. DoS2 too, provided I can find the time to get back to it, but it left a really strong impression.

Cyberpunk is a lock if meets or exceeds expectations. FFVIIR is going to have to bring the heat and the standards will be high since it's only a fraction of that world & story.

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
As far as these kind of lists go, this one is pretty great. Having just played DOS 2 over the holidays however, I think it should be far higher on this list. Perhaps that's recency bias but it's pretty magical.

Eegah

Oct 27, 2017
Need to ask: There's other lists like this in the forum?

www.resetera.com

ResetERA'S 2018 Top 51 Essential Horror Games |One Vote Wonders!|

Welcome to ResetERA's first Top 51 Essential Horror Games Vote and Results thread! What is the purpose of the Top 51 Essential Horror Games thread? After being heavily inspired by Kswiston's Top 101 Essential RPG's thread, I decided that I wanted to create my own. I was able to get his blessing...

as far as I know this is the only one. The old place had a bunch.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
www.resetera.com

Welcome to ResetERA's first Top 51 Essential Horror Games Vote and Results thread! What is the purpose of the Top 51 Essential Horror Games thread? After being heavily inspired by Kswiston's Top 101 Essential RPG's thread, I decided that I wanted to create my own. I was able to get his blessing...

as far as I know this is the only one. The old place had a bunch.
We should have more stuff like this around here.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I've now finished 15 more games on the list since it was published and meaning I've completed 50% of the list (and having significantly played over a dozen of the remaining). I think I've ready for a round 2 (and to get annoyed by the results).

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
This is a fantastic list.

Wish someone would do a horror game list like this.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is a fantastic list.

Wish someone would do a horror game list like this.
Dude, literally 3 posts above you:
www.resetera.com

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, despite the lower participation, I think that that Essential Horror list came out pretty damn good and definitive. If you played every game on it, that really would cover everything you need outside some indies.