• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The story in 1 is very goofy. But don't make that keep you away from 2. The games are set 1000 years apart and don't really relate to one another in significant ways.
Just play 2 it has great storytelling and characters. Still funny at times, but takes itself much more seriously.

Ah might just do that then, and go back to OS if it grabs me

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
The trash mob problem is not identical with random encounters. Chrono Trigger has as many unavoidable trash mobs as most JRPGs from that era. There are also plenty of games (e.g., SMT: Nocturne) with random encounters that make them a meaningful part of the resource-conservation aspect of dungeon crawling.

Re: Divinity Original Sin, I always see the same "the story is goofy" comment. That's honestly the main reason I've put off playing it and its sequel, despite everything else being appealing. I'd just find it kinda hard to get into a CRPG if the story doesn't really take itself seriously.

Like, is it on par with characters like Shale in Dragon Age Origins or is it more, I dunno, Paper Mario/Fable levels of goof?

1. OS2's story was a direct response to complaints about OS1. Larian still colors the world with humor, but the main story and the companions' personal quests are plenty serious. OS2 is also not a direct sequel. You should feel free to jump in without playing OS1.

2. OS1's main story is not constantly mocking itself, if that's what you're worried about. It's just a by-the-numbers RPG story. It's the rest of the game that has a goofy, light-hearted tone. I think people found it difficult to invest in the setting when the game's lore seemed so perfunctory. From my point of view, the problem wasn't the tone but the relative dearth of interesting dialogues or dramatic questlines to go with the humor. Still, it's a great game and well worth your time.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Random Encounters can be annoying at times.

I like how pokemon does it. Pokemon gives you a choice by using random spawns as grass, but then when you go to a cave youre annoyed. Many games, everything is a cave lol

Plus Pokemon has repels to make caves a little less annoying.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like how Chrono Trigger has become like the final boss of this list that all the challengers are looking to overthrow.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I very much call into question some of those titles as RPGs... If only because if they are RPGs, then it calls into questions about what other genres are.

A lot of people seem to think any sort of progression system instantly means a game has RPG elements or is a hybrid RPG game, but to me what makes the difference between an action-RPG (say Secret of Mana) different from an action-adventure game (say, Legend of Zelda) is the connection to stats and die rolls that link it to the progenitor of all RPGs, Dungeons and Dragons. Secret of Mana has a stat sheet for each character that is very similar to table top RPGs, and it's those numbers that define the character and their actions. Legend of Zelda, Link doesn't have a list of attributes that define him beyond Health and weapon damage. Two stats you'd inevitably find in ALL action games.

But at the end of the day... it really doesn't matter that much. I'm not going to change anyone's mind who's dead set on some of these inclusions even if they make zero sense as RPG or RPG hybrids IMO

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe that some people might not buy a game juste because of a detail such as random battles. I'm glad to be a forgiving gamer.

Then Pokémon Let's Go might sell more than I thought.

I'm pretty forgiving as well. I don't mind random battles, but if I don't like the battle system then I'm less likely to buy/stick with the game.

Old Luke

Jul 20, 2018
It's nice to see Mass Effect 1 ranked next to ME2. People always remember ME2 as one of all time greats but I just love the story, the mood, and, at the time, the potential and bright future Mass Effect 1 seemed to have as a new IP (and it did succeed).

I see why people like ME2 better, but ME1 will be always the best for me. Even if it plays like shit.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to see Mass Effect 1 ranked next to ME2. People always remember ME2 as one of all time greats but I just love the story, the mood, and, at the time, the potential and bright future Mass Effect 1 seemed to have as a new IP (and it did succeed).

I see why people like ME2 better, but ME1 will be always the best for me. Even if it plays like shit.
The original Mass Effect has this pulp sci fi TV series feel, which was one of the things that was lost in the transition to 2. It was also more of an RPG than either of its successors.
I like ME2 far more, but I agree, ME1 often gets unfairly forgotten.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
I am already satisfied by knowing that P4 and P5 made it into the Top 10. Maybe they will beat the final boss Chrono Trigger, we will see.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Even just being able to see them on the field makes all the difference. The way Trails of Cold Steel did it is fine.

Forgive my ignorance, but are Trails of Cold Steel and Trails in the Sky the same series? I see both names thrown around along with part 1 and part 2 and the games in general have been on my radar for a while, but I never know where to begin with them or how many games there's are.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect 1 is just to boring for me to get into. I hate moving around the Citadel and the Mako needs to go away forever.

I was doing new character runs to try out new classes and stuff and started starting over at ME2 just because I couldn't stand playing through 1 again.

I get why people like it but it's just not for me.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
We could debate long about what is an RPG and what not. We could debate long about what the purpose of "Lists and rankings are", but at the end of the day, both should be meaningful as well as useful for the viewer. They should highlight particular great games. Broad List-rankings can be useful in providing a broader look at games, some of which somebody might not have considered by themselves to be great games or simply never heard of them.

However, I find specific, narrower, genre threads way more useful, since quite a few of the RPG sub-genres play very differently and feel very different, so that comparing them is kinda pointless.
Sure. Narrower defined lists can be useful and even more useful for specific cases or people. But this is a deliberately broad list. This lists purpose is to define RPGs and expanding the horizon of peoples RPG knowledge. But you seem to somehow get the point, as the bold part shows, yet you still complain. And this broader look is direly needed here as the history of this list shows. Always having Chrono Trigger at number one and generally the top 10/20 not changing much and having way to many entries from the same franchises, shows how narrow minded Era is in regards to RPGs. And in thus I feel this list is very useful. Especially the lower rankings or controversial games. The latter get a conversation starting and might lead to some people here to try the games for themselves and check whether they think these games are RPGS or not.
Also, with narrower lists you will get less people voting and more lists in total to encompass the full genre. And if you want to talk about very specific subgenres or games you can look for threads on them and post there. Or you could make your own thread and start that conversation yourself. There are a lot of lttp threads and subgenre discussions on this. For example: A few weeks ago there was a thread on SNES action RPGs.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Forgive my ignorance, but are Trails of Cold Steel and Trails in the Sky the same series? I see both names thrown around along with part 1 and part 2 and the games in general have been on my radar for a while, but I never know where to begin with them or how many games there's are.
Yes... same serie called The Legend of Heroes but it is a bit more complex :D

The series started with two games:

Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes II

After it started the trilogies:

Gagharv trilogy (the first trilogy)
The Legend of Heroes III: Shiroki Majo
The Legend of Heroes IV: Akai Shizuku
The Legend of Heroes V: Umi no Oriuta

Trails in the Sky (the second trilogy)
The Legend of Heroes VI: Sora no Kiseki
The Legend of Heroes VI: Sora no Kiseki SC
The Legend of Heroes VI: Sora no Kiseki the 3rd

A two game arc:

Trails – Crossbell arc
The Legend of Heroes VII: Zero no Kiseki
The Legend of Heroes VII: Ao no Kiseki

And finally the 4 last games:

Trails of Cold Steel
The Legend of Heroes VIII: Sen no Kiseki
The Legend of Heroes VIII: Sen no Kiseki II
The Legend of Heroes VIII: Sen no Kiseki III
The Legend of Heroes VIII: Sen no Kiseki IV

There are three spin-offs too.

Last edited:

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Mass Effect 1 is just to boring for me to get into. I hate moving around the Citadel and the Mako needs to go away forever.

I was doing new character runs to try out new classes and stuff and started starting over at ME2 just because I couldn't stand playing through 1 again.

I get why people like it but it's just not for me.

The first time I explored the Citadel I wanted to run out and buy a 360 because I was so engrossed with the RPG elements, conversations and characters. I think I spent a few hours starting a new game on my friend's copy and never left the Citadel. It was great....the first time. When I went back years later to replay the game I felt it was a total slog that killed my momentum.

I think Mass Effect is a great game for one playthrough. I like ME2 better overall though because it has a replayability factor that both ME and ME3 are missing.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017

I haven't played them yet, but have been meaning to, but have seen people say it's ideal to play TiTS before ToCS.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
TiTS are the most modern games... 2013 - today.
ToCS are the old games 2004-2007.

I don't thing playing TiTS first will help to play ToCS... the fact TiTS did not ended in west yet makes me feel it is better to play the ToCS trilogy first.

I think you may have those backwards?

ToCS 1 came out for Vita 2013 and ToCS 2 2014
TiTS:FC came out 2004, and TiTS:SC came out 2006, and TiTS:TC is 2007

Pretty sure (like 99.9%) I've read you need to / ideally should play TiTS first to fully understand ToCS.

Also the general consensus I've seen is TiTS > ToCS, especially in world/story building, so I believe it's also likely said to be the better game series on average.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The presence of the original Nier on this list, as well as how low Tales of Symphonia is are testaments to the way people use the legacy of classic games to judge them rather than their own merits.

It's the same reason people talk up Super Mario World and shit on 16-bit Sonic; later Marios are good and later Sonics are not. And then once Mania came out people decided they liked 16-bit Sonic again.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
I think you may have those backwards?

ToCS 1 came out for Vita 2013 and ToCS 2 2014
TiTS:FC came out 2004, and TiTS:SC came out 2006, and TiTS:TC is 2007

Pretty sure (like 99.9%) I've read you need to / ideally should play TiTS first to fully understand ToCS.

Also the general consensus I've seen is TiTS > ToCS, especially in world/story building, so I believe it's also likely said to be the better game series on average.
I guess you are right because I confused the singles... why not use the full name? :D

2004: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
2005: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
2007: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd

2013: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
2014: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
2017: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
2018: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV

Sky come on PSP and so it is playable on Vita... Cold Steel the first two were first Vita and PS3 and the late two only PS4.

220px-Loh6_The_Legend_of_Heroes_Trails_in_the_Sky.jpg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So... I read through the OP again, and while the term "game" is used repeatedly and the implied meaning is obvious given the spirit of the thread, strictly speaking it doesn't say "video game". So...

Would Dungeons and Dragons potentially be a viable vote?

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
If RDR is an RPG I'm going to go ahead and include Vice City on my ballot then.
There are already several non-RPG games on the list... you can vote RDR and GTA.

If you think SFV is RPG you can vote too (there is level up and progression lol).

So... I read through the OP again, and while the term "game" is used repeatedly and the implied meaning is obvious given the spirit of the thread, strictly speaking it doesn't say "video game". So...

Would Dungeons and Dragons potentially be a viable vote?
Yes... everything you think is a RPG is viable to vote by the rules.

Skii

Oct 28, 2017
The top 10 is going to be a mess considering the order of some of these games. How Skyrim is so high I'll never know.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The top 10 is going to be a mess considering the order of some of these games. How Skyrim is so high I'll never know.
It's the most popular and best selling game in what many would consider the most prominent western RPG series. I'm surprised it's so low if anything.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

Skyrim is arguably the most popular RPG of the last decade. No amount of negative opinions will overrule the masses. The fact that remastered editions still sell incredibly well should be proof of its popularity.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Random battles are only really an issue to me when the encounter rate is too high and/or the combat is slow, uninteresting or outright bad. It's also pretty great when the game was a visual indicator that tells you how close you are to the next battle. It's why I never get tired of Nocturne and Etrian Odyssey games but something like Persona 2 can be infuriating.

High encounter rates in games with puzzle-heavy dungeons are the devil too. I adore the combat in Digital Devil Saga 1, but that amusement park dungeon was awful.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Like Skyrim, I'm expecting a relentlessly vocal minority to turn on/shit on Witcher 3 in the coming years. It's sorta started already .

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
The presence of the original Nier on this list, as well as how low Tales of Symphonia is are testaments to the way people use the legacy of classic games to judge them rather than their own merits.

It's the same reason people talk up Super Mario World and shit on 16-bit Sonic; later Marios are good and later Sonics are not. And then once Mania came out people decided they liked 16-bit Sonic again.
Do you think NieR Automata is better game than NieR in terms of story?

NieR is really something else and it should enter the TOP100.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Like Skyrim, I'm expecting a relentlessly vocal minority to turn on/shit on Witcher 3 in the coming years. It's sorta started already .
It started a month after it came out. Not that there weren't legit criticisms , but overshadowing every single game that year Witcher was painted with red target

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think NieR Automata is better game than NieR in terms of story?

NieR is really something else and it should enter the TOP100.
I'm really just saying that it's a game that didn't get much mindshare before Automata, and if not for that, it wouldn't be on this list, no matter how much it did or didn't deserve to be.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
I'm really just saying that it's a game that didn't get much mindshare before Automata, and if not for that, it wouldn't be on this list, no matter how much it did or didn't deserve to be.
Well at least on GAF NieR got a lot of mindshare... the same happened with Demon's Souls.

So it is normal to see these games here in ERA... NieR was in previous threads even before Automata I guess.

Now outside GAF/ERA yeap I think you have a point but the votes are here :D

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Skyrim is arguably the most popular RPG of the last decade. No amount of negative opinions will overrule the masses. The fact that remastered editions still sell incredibly well should be proof of its popularity.

Sometimes popular doesn't mean it is good.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
If anything Automata is hurting the original NiER by splitting votes. It used to be every NiER fan used their highlights on it because they wanted it to be exposed to more people

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Witcher 3 mostly gets picked on by JRPG fans that hate the combat. Its never even gonna be close to the criticism skyrim gets. WRPG and JRPG fans shit on skyrim together lol.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Witcher 3 mostly gets picked on by JRPG fans that hate the combat. Its never even gonna be close to the criticism skyrim gets. WRPG and JRPG fans shit on skyrim together lol.
While I see bias here that didn't change The Witcher 3 combat is pretty serviceable. Even old WRPG from PS3 has better combat than The Witcher 3.

That why the change to first person camera combat give me hopes with their next title.