• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theodoricos

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I legit don't understand lol, I thought I had praised P5 a lot in this thread (like i have been arguing for it to be Top 10 since the thread started and complaining about how unnecessarily negative Era is on it, and how i don't understand how and why people hate it while liking P3 and P4, and so on)

Yeah, I haven't followed all the posts on the thread, nor am I really a ResetEra regular, so I was referencing the last few posts. I stand corrected!

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Not a fan of Persona 5, but I enjoyed Persona 4. I'll give you two major reasons why I found it disappointing.

1) Persona 5 has really bad dungeons. They take forever to complete, and the battle system are the weakest part for me in Persona games. They're just a poor man's version of Pokemon's. I prefer Persona 4's dungeon and Mementos due to be able to run through those dungeons really quickly just by finding the door/stairs. Give me a short boring looking dungeon over a long pretty dungeon if the battle system isn't anything special.

2)The main party. It's a lot weaker than the previous game and one of the character felt like a last minute addition. You can completely cut her and her dungeon and nothing would change, she doesn't contribute anything to the party. Previous game, everyone in the main party got development at least.

Oh and I thought the story was weaker too.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Having at least 1 good dungeon puts it above p4 becuse p4 had 0 good dungeons
I'd much rather have Persona 4's randomized dungeons that take maybe a bit more then an hour for almost all of them then the slogs that are Persona 5's which can upwards of 3 hours long. If Persona 5's dungeons were good I'd gladly give them credit for it but not only are they not good but they are relentlessly long. Persona 4's are generally only have 10 floors deep and when I say a bit more then an hour thats like the max, if you rush through and avoid enemies you can get through many of them in less then thirty minutes. It doesn't help that Persona 5's dungeons have some of the worst mechanics in any dungeon ever such as the Mice Maze in Palace 7 or unlocking the stupid safe in the third palace.

Those dungeons could be half the length they are and I would still prefer the randomized dungeons of Persona 4, they are awful.

Anyway...

Oh this seems fun lets see..

15. Pokemon Gold/Silver
14. Fallout New Vegas
13. Baldurs Gate 2
12. Final Fantasy IX
11. Nier: Automata
10. Mass Effect 2
9. Persona 5
8. Planescape: Torment
7. Dark Souls
6. Final Fantasy VII
5. Bloodborne
4. Witcher 3
3. Chrono Trigger
2. Persona 4
1. Final Fantasy VI

I'm likely way off for the most part.

So I did better then I thought I would. Nailed Pokemon and had both Baldurs gate and FFIX off by one space, thats not half bad.

Well with the remaining 10 heres my updated list...

10. Fallout New Vegas
9. Neir: Automata
8. Persona 5
7. Dark Souls
6. Final Fantasy VII
5. Bloodborne
4. Witcher 3
3. Persona 4
2. Chrono Trigger
1. Final Fantasy VI

In my original list I don't think I was giving CT enough credit and it could very well be #1 but I want FFVI to be #1 so... Yeah. I think Persona 4 will still do extremely well and I didn't even look at the old list as I made this one and I still put Wticher 3, Bloodborne, FFVII, and Dark Souls in the same spots! I also think I was underestimating Persona 5 a bit and honestly if any of the games that aren't in the top 5 that have a chance of breaking into it my money would be on Persona, this forum has a massive hard on for that game. I think you could easily flip Fallout NV and Neir up there, the latter of which I really should pick up and play at some point with how high its ranking here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I haven't followed all the posts on the thread, nor am I really a ResetEra regular, so I was referencing the last few posts. I stand corrected!
Haha, no worries. I am down on P5 a lot too because I think it has some of the most glaring flaws in a "great" game I have ever seen, and they are grating and frustrating, especially in a game of its scope.
But it's still my second favorite game of all time (or at least, tied for it with P4).

Oct 27, 2017
I think where you place the Persona games has largely to do with which characters and stories resonated the most in a lot of cases. I think that P5 has by far the best gameplay in the series and even though there is a dungeon too many in the mix, it still has much better dungeon design than 3 or 4. I do think the arc of individual characters and through social links is better in the other two games though. I could throw Yusuke and Haru in the bin in terms of their involvement in the main plotline and be fine.

With regards to the list update really happy to see FFIX getting it's rightful spot within touching distance of the top 10. Also glad FFVII and VI would appear to both have made the top 10, imo they are the pinnacle of both the 2D entries (FFVI) and 3d entries (FFVII). Witcher 3 and Chrono should also make it.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I only finished route A of Nier A , but I liked it a lot. Gonna return one day. I can see why people consider it an essential RPG

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
The pacing in Persona 5 is worse than it has been in any other game in the franchise lol

That honour definitely goes to P3. It stops dolling out of plot about halfway through, and then dumps the entire rest of the plot right at the end.

... does it?

I dropped P2 mostly because of how fucking tedious the dungeons and gameplay is.

LIke fuck a P3 remake (would love that too), P2 is the one I want a remake of the most.

On the basis that the dungeons in the rest of the series are actively bad, and P2's dungeon's are simply mediocre, I'd say so.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
No, in terms of gameplay, I think P5 takes it. The battle system/demon negotiation/integration of S.Links with the dungeon crawling, and so on, is fantastic.
But dungeon design, yeah, probably PQ lol.

I haven't played enough of P5 to comment much but I'm assuming it doesn't vary *that* much from the formula in P3 and P4, in which case... yeah, PQ's battle system wins hands down for me too. A second Persona for everyone runs the risk of OP characters like in Suikoden II, but the game is balanced well so that the 1st, locked, character-specific Persona is a baseline of the character's abilities, while the second one complements them per your need at any given time. The elements borrowed from Etrian Odyssey mesh well too although I don't remember the specifics offhand.

When I played Persona Q, I planned out my team by role, which is something I mostly didn't have to do in the mainline games. I wanted some characters on my team but I had to cave on others. I think I ran (very roughly, it's been a while):

Front: Koromaru (First Strike), Aigis (Tank), Chie (Physical DPS)
Back: P3 Protag (Buff/Debuffer), Naoto (Instant Death Caster)

Edit: Naoto is a bit much in this game - A common complaint - And I didn't really want to use her but I also couldn't find anyone else good to really fill that last backrow slot, so I kinda had to default to her. That said, I was still able to look out for fights to challenge myself, so I'm satisfied with the experience.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't be home until later and I'll post more at that time but I just wanted to slide in here real quick and say AUTOMATA FAM WE STILL IN THIS SHIT!! TOP 5 NEXT PhazonBlonde

Theodoricos

Oct 25, 2017
Nier's ranking this year would actually be an improvement, it was #11 last year. Evidently it does have staying power.

Compare this to Skyrim, which reached #4 in 2012 and then wasn't anywhere to be seen in the top 20 next year. Or Fire Emblem: Awakening, which reached #9 in 2015 and then it was never seen in the top 20 again.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Let's play:

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Persona 4
4. Dark Souls
5. The Witcher 3
6. Final Fantasy VII
7. Bloodborne
8. Nier: Automata
9. Persona 5
10. Fallout: New Vegas

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
yeah Automata as in Nier A,lol
Sorry I read like "Nier A path".

To be fair NieR deserves more to be in the essential list than NieR Automata.

But I guess that is the recently power people are talking.

drakengard_and_nier_replicant__gestalt_for_ps4_by_marblegallery7-dazq4i1.jpg

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the best years for Mass Effect in terms of rankings. Rarely have both installments been in the top 20 before, and only once did they perform better than this year.

Andromeda must still sting.
Mass Effect Andromeda had the potential of recapturing some of the magic of ME1. New galaxy, new aliens, and the colonizers in disarray. Unfortunately it was like Star Trek Into Darkness, ie. waaaaaayyyyy dumber in writing.

Few new aliens, all humanoid, and none interesting (and they didn't even bring back non-humanoid species from before). First contact was inconsequential and without any choices (also, alien computers, never in contact with humans, use arabic numbers?) Even colonization is basically "use console to activate space magic". Most side quests start off with an interesting premise and then drop off a cliff (I've seen suggestions to skip all "tasks", the lowest tier of side quests, no matter how interesting the set up is. And I tend to agree, unless you really like open-world fetch quests.). They also hide the storyline/reveal about your parents behind a painful collect-athon.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda had the potential of recapturing some of the magic of ME1. New galaxy, new aliens, and the colonizers in disarray. Unfortunately it was like Star Trek Into Darkness, ie. waaaaaayyyyy dumber in writing.

Few new aliens, all humanoid, and none interesting (and they didn't even bring back non-humanoid species from before). First contact was inconsequential and without any choices (also, alien computers, never in contact with humans, use arabic numbers?) Even colonization is basically "use console to activate space magic". Most side quests start off with an interesting premise and then drop off a cliff (I've seen suggestions to skip all "tasks", the lowest tier of side quests, no matter how interesting the set up is. And I tend to agree, unless you really like open-world fetch quests.). They also hide the storyline/reveal about your parents behind a painful collect-athon.
My least favorite part was how the main character was throwing around his Pathfinder title with the new aliens like they fucking knew what that was, or cared.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the first time Planescape has been kicked out of the top 10? huh
I thought it was pretty much a shoe-in but looks like we did lose a few CRPG fans in the transition (or the higher number of votes weakened their relevance). I need to get back to it eventually.

We haven't seen Digimon World yet, top 10 baby.
Top 5 baby here we go!

5. Megadimension Neptunia VII
4. Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
3. Digimon World
2. Monster Rancher
1. The Legend of Zelda 2: Adventure of Link

I'm almost positive. Almost.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the first time Planescape has been kicked out of the top 10? huh
I thought it was pretty much a shoe-in but looks like we did lose a few CRPG fans in the transition (or the higher number of votes weakened their relevance). I need to get back to it eventually.

Top 5 baby here we go!

5. Megadimension Neptunia VII
4. Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
3. Digimon World
2. Monster Rancher
1. The Legend of Zelda 2: Adventure of Link

I'm almost positive. Almost.

Can't wait for those Sonic Chronicles OST highlights

(pretty sure it's in the rules for someone to post this when that game is mentioned)

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Bloodborne
  2. The Witcher 3
  3. Chrono Trigger
  4. Dark Souls
  5. Final Fantasy VII
  6. Persona 4
  7. Final Fantasy VI
  8. Persona 5
  9. Nier Automata
  10. Fallout New Vegas
Top spot will be Bloodborne or TW3,but I will not be surprised if it is Chrono Trigger.

Arkain

Oct 27, 2017
Nier Automata in the top 10 will be the only thing that truly confuses me about the list. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a really good game, but I'm unable to see how its a more essential RPG than the likes of Baldur's Gate 2.

More of a problem with me I suppose, as clearly enough people disagree to vote it into the top 10.

Last edited:

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
the thread consists nearly entirely of arguments about which FF ranks where and why my favorite JRPG is better than your favorite JRPG, so even if you weren't aware of the voting results from previous years the top 10 (top 101 tbh) should come as no surprise. New Vegas is the outsider here, and I didn't even like that game that much

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
My least favorite part was how the main character was throwing around his Pathfinder title with the new aliens like they fucking knew what that was, or cared.
Yes, what kind of douchebag goes around insisting "call me pathfinder" when the title was passed by inheritance (an NPC even points out that is not standard procedure), not merit? If the story leaned into insecurities of learning the job on the fly, it might have been interesting. But it doesn't.
Also, when an NPC asks "what happened?" right after that death, the main character answers very casually "to who?" (prepatch, at this point Male Ryder looks baked, and Fem Ryder has a sly grin) I opinion of Ryder never recovered.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
The Drakengard series had some of the worst gameplay I have ever witnessed.
They are still Essential.... nobody play them for the gameplay.

Lots of people saying NV is 10, will it be true?
Probably... it is the greatest Fallout ever created... shame this Fallout 4.

XV on the list being close to BotW makes me feel sick.
Both should not be in the list... one is bad and the other is not the premisse of the thread.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
The one thing I do love about the top 10 is that there's no bad picks. Nothing straight up bad. Everything I could see an argument for being number one. Couldn't say that about Mass Effect 2 or whatever

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Some people have a really hard time dealing with opinions.
Also, people can't vote for games they haven't played. You can't compare the number of people on this forum that played Planescape Torment with the number that played FFIX for example.
Considering that I think PT and BG2 did very well.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Nier Automata in the top 10 will be the only thing that truly confuses me about the list. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a really good game, but I'm unable to see how its a more essential RPG than the likes of Baldur's Gate 2.

More of a problem with me I suppose, as clearly enough people disagree to vote it into the top 10.
I mean, we don't know how many votes for NieR Automata that did not include BG2 did so because they considered BG2 less essential. Consider cases where the voter hadn't played BG2.

That is, enough people considered Automata essential to vote it into the top 10 but that doesn't imply there is a direct comparison in their votes with BG2.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Meh... Baldur's Gate 2 is way too low and Mass Effect 2 is blatantly a TPS rather than an RPG (and I loved the game).

Dannerz

Dec 19, 2017
A takeaway from this list for me is that Era should try more PC games. Also If people don't mind the isometric perspective they should give Shadowrun: Dragonfall a shot. It was pretty low on the list and I think it's glorious (and a great gateway drug to CRPGs being quite a bit more straightforward than most). You don't need a great PC to play 90% of the cRPGs on this list. Give em a shot. GOG.com is your friend.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They are still Essential.... nobody play them for the gameplay.

Probably... it is the greatest Fallout ever created... shame this Fallout 4.

Both should not be in the list... one is bad and the other is not the premisse of the thread.
I wouldn't consider a game that is a literal chore to play and is an awful experience essential. I mean it's worth watching a story breakdown but I would never recommend anyone actually play them.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Also If people don't mind the isometric perspective they should give Shadowrun: Dragonfall a shot. It was pretty low on the list and I think it's glorious (and a great gateway drug to CRPGs being quite a bit more straightforward than most). You don't need a great PC to play 90% of the cRPGs on this list. Give em a shot. GOG.com is your friend.

Co-sign.