• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017

PracticalSaltyLeveret-max-1mb.gif

I didn't like the demo and the fanbase has been so annoying that it actively turns me off of the game.

This moose GIF is the first time I've been tempted to try again in awhile.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Think of it this way, Chrono Trigger just got a very publicized PC release this year that has gone on to do well. Its sheer cachet plus recency will carry it through to #1.
Has there ever been a year it didn't win? Maybe 2015?

I'm new to the whole Resetera/GAF verse (I was out on video games in general forawhile) so maybe I underappreciate it's dominance over time.

Man this soundtrack is so FUCKIN good

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Nier Automata is going to be top 15, ME2 is definitely going in the top 10, and Bloodborne top 5 over Dark Souls.

P5 going way higher than I would've guessed. I never thought it would be ranked over P3.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
oh shit somebody linked You Will Know Our Names, there goes the next half hour of my life

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am extremely and delightfully surprised FF9 will end up in the top 15. Has it always done this well on these lists?

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
How many western rpg's are still legitimate contenders? Three? Imagine a top 10 with Witcher 3 being the only western rpg, damn.

Nier Automata will hit number one because it is a MASTERPIECE that puts me in STRATOSPHERIC

PracticalSaltyLeveret-max-1mb.gif

It is O B J E C T I V E L Y the best moose riding experience in EXISTENCE OF ALL TIME

tumblr_olhbnwZneC1tt3wuco1_500.gif

It will be remembered more than Chrono Triggera nd WItcher 3 PUT TOGETHER HAVE SOME MORE GIFS

nier-automata-2b-gif-8.gif

You just played yourself. The gif curse gonna bite this one hard.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Surprised that the first Mass Effect made it so high considering it is the weakest in the series.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Pokemon Red was my first real rpg that kept me engaged as a kid.

Xenoblade pulled me back in when I was thinking of leaving gaming all together. The last few years of the wii were absolutely terrible as a Nintendo fan.

Playing through it was such an amazing adventure. The moment I saw Gaur Plains roll out I knew I was in for a treat. It is such a beautiful world, so any reason to put in more time was good enough for me. I really think that aspect got lost in translation when people were hyping it up.

By the end I put in well over 150 hours exploring every nook and cranny.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
It depends what turned you off about Suikoden 1. Suikoden 2 has the same basic game design. Its graphics are cleaner and its artwork is more appealing. Plus there's some quality-of-life stuff like a run button. But the main advantage is a stronger story hook. Suikoden 2 hits the ground running, and it has generally stronger story presentation.

EDIT: I will add that, five hours into Suikoden 1, you may have only just started recruiting stars of destiny for your castle. It's worth playing through a Suikoden at least until you're expanding your HQ so you can see if the main gameplay hook grabs you.

So yes, my recommendation is that you play Suikoden 2 even if you struggled with the first five hours of Suikoden 1.

Yeah I remember I just got the castle and ship. Is it worth trying to push through? I found the combat eh and everything a bit slow.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I didn't like the demo and the fanbase has been so annoying that it actively turns me off of the game.
Annoying fanbases are pretty much for every game though. But they tend to be more annoying when it's a game you don't care about yourself lol. I'm with you, though. Fuck Nier.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Cool to see FF Tactics there, I have bought it recently used for the PSP, and I feel very overwhelmed by the game haha It has so many systems to understand.

On a side note, why is the Nier Automata fandom annoying?

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a top 10 with Witcher 3 being the only western rpg, damn.

I could see that happening tbh, but I feel like 1 more will get in. Either New Vegas or Planescape. (Probably New Vegas)

It's certainly possible though with Bloodborne and Nier potentially making top 10 for the first time and then who knows if FFIX moves up a little this year. TW3 would likely be the only WRPG in the top 10 in that scenario. Crazy

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Annoying fanbases are pretty much for every game though. But they tend to be more annoying when it's a game you don't care about yourself lol. I'm with you, though. Fuck Nier.
I disagree here. There is certainly fanbases that are worst than others.

Final Fantasy, Persona, and Undertale fans immediately come to mind when it comes to fanbases that can be a tad on the annoying side(not including multiplayer games because most discussion is disagreements on balance changes).

Final Fantasy and Persona goes through something similar where every game is completely different, so it creates a lot of divisive opinions. Undertale though...Im not sure ive seen a fanbase similar to them, and how they treated that game the year it launched.

I dont think Nier Automata has annoying fans though. I still do believe that the game should be under a chapter format though, rather than referring to them as "endings"

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
That happens with every popular game on here lol. Remember the weekly God of War/P5/BotW bash fests?

A little bit. Every popular game will have people speak out against it. No use bashing a game nobody cares about, right? I think it's on another level with TW3, here, but maybe it's just me. We'll see in the results! I'm still expecting Bloodborne to place above it.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty surprised that Mass Effect keeps ranking so high as well. Not because it's bad (that's not even remotely true), but because this list isn't kind at all to WRPGs with clunky gameplay that are still great because of their gameplay. There's no Alpha Protocol, no Arcanum, no The Witcher 1, and no Mask of the Betrayer. Hell, Sunless Sea only got like 2 votes, and that's pretty much the ultimate "bad gameplay + great writing" kind of game. And yet Mass Effect keeps getting ranked incredibly highly.

I mean, there are a couple of exceptions, but those are pretty easy to explain (KOTORs because they're Star Wars and Planescape because it's such an all-time classic). I don't quite understand what makes Mass Effect stand out so much, but it's really nice to see people appreciate what a great game it is.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm pretty surprised that Mass Effect keeps ranking so high as well. Not because it's bad (that's not even remotely true), but because this list isn't kind at all to WRPGs with clunky gameplay that are still great because of their gameplay. There's no Alpha Protocol, no Arcanum, no The Witcher 1, and no Mask of the Betrayer. Hell, Sunless Sea only got like 2 votes, and that's pretty much the ultimate "bad gameplay + great writing" kind of game. And yet Mass Effect keeps getting ranked incredibly highly.

I mean, there are a couple of exceptions, but those are pretty easy to explain (KOTORs because they're Star Wars and Planescape because it's such an all-time classic). I don't quite understand what makes Mass Effect stand out so much, but it's really nice to see people appreciate what a great game it is.

You have to remember, this is a popularity contest, plain and simple. Nothing wrong with that, but it's just not necessarily a metric of quality.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I can't even remember the last time I saw anyone in the FFVII fanbase speak, let alone portray it as "the worst". Maybe 10 years ago and on GameFAQs, but not now.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to see Xenogears being pretty high. Personal top 10 though, you can't always get what you want. :lol

It's crazy how many great games there are out there, and I haven't even played half of them in the list. So maybe me saying Xenogears should be higher is moot?

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC

That is a pretty good point. I think the big difference is that Mass Effect was a massively popular blockbuster hit. I feel the same way about it though, that it isn't perfect gameplay wise but the overall package of story/aesthetic/world is very very fully realized.

I disagree here. There is certainly fanbases that are worst than others.

Final Fantasy, Persona, and Undertale fans immediately come to mind when it comes to fanbases that can be a tad on the annoying side(not including multiplayer games because most discussion is disagreements on balance changes).

Final Fantasy and Persona goes through something similar where every game is completely different, so it creates a lot of divisive opinions. Undertale though...Im not sure ive seen a fanbase similar to them, and how they treated that game the year it launched.

I dont think Nier Automata has annoying fans though. I still do believe that the game should be under a chapter format though, rather than referring to them as "endings"

God the Undertale fanbase is 1000x worse than any other RPG on this list

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
you think those games are only worth $5? Or am I misreading? I think they're brilliant!

Oh, not at all, I absolutely adore them. Just placing more emphasis on the original entries than New Vegas, which admittedly I have yet to play. Fun sidenote, I originally got both Fallout 1 and 2 in a dual pack from Target for $20 around 2001 and replayed them madly in high school.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Tactics would end up higher. Suikoden 2 is about where I expected, although it deserves much higher. Mass Effect 1 is a whole hell of a lot higher than I expected. BG2 is still in it, but will still likely come in under Mass Effect 2 which is depressing.

edit: on Mass Effect 1, despite being glitchy and not playing too well, it's the best in the series. ME2 does many things alright, but nothing amazing except possibly the companions. Although some of them are dull, and the lack of interaction between them (outside a few occassions) doesn't help.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have to remember, this is a popularity contest, plain and simple. Nothing wrong with that. It's not necessarily a metric of quality.
That's what I'm saying though: why is Mass Effect so popular when other similar games don't even rank. Seems weird to me.

I know Mass Effect is a much bigger franchise than those other games (excluding the Witcher 1 I guess), but I thought that was mostly because of Mass Effect 2 which certainly seems much more publicly liked and is a completely different game in a lot of ways. And yet that's not really the case in this threads.

It's basically the biggest pleasant surprise in these threads to me.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Yeah I remember I just got the castle and ship. Is it worth trying to push through? I found the combat eh and everything a bit slow.

The pace picks up once you have your castle and the blinking mirror. Suikoden 2 is also a bit faster paced (albeit much longer). But the basic combat system and game loop is the same. The most significant design changes are probably multiple rune slots per character and the attempt at a Fire Emblem-style tactics system for war battles (which was a good idea but has mixed results).

I can't promise you will like Suikoden if you keep playing. I will say, however, that I stalled out around kobold village on my first playthough. It was probably a month later I went back to it and found myself totally invested. Then I went on to Suikoden 2, which quickly became my favorite JRPG ever.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I see the best Xenoblade ost already mentioned

This one is also one of my favorites

and let's not forget this one