• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why anyone would want Final Fantasy limited to one entry.
I don't think anyone suggested only one game per series. I just think some type of limit would help the list get a larger variety of high quality games on it. I know I'm in the minority, though. Most are happy with a pure popularity contest.

And voting for a game before it's even out should be ban worthy.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I don't think anyone suggested only one game per series. I just think some type of limit would help the list get a larger variety of high quality games on it. I know I'm in the minority, though. Most are happy with a pure popularity contest.

And voting for a game before it's even out should be ban worthy.

I will post an alternate list where games in the same series with fewer than half of the votes of the most popular entry are skipped in favor of smaller series. But the banners are by points as I said at the start.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Love the way you show the list, this is super effective. But most difficulty rating are so unacurrate haha Shadow Heart Convenant ? Medium ? nope ! Compare to Lufia 2 ? Easy ? Yeah some correction need to be done here.

Edit : i know this is pretty hard to judge..

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy is honestly the one RPG franchise that couldn't, and fundamentally can't, be limited in a list like this. The entire design ethos is to change things up from game to game, other than a few core elements they practically stand-alone. They could have thrown a Chocobo into Xenogears and called it Final Fantasy VII and it wouldn't have been that weird. I'd understand the argument for Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts, but FF??

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm being won over by the arguments that Yakuza 0 qualifies as an RPG.

Probably would have made my honorable mentions if I considered it one.

I'm still not convinced that Breath of the Wild is one though, looks like it will do pretty well since it hasn't placed yet though.

I wouldn't impose series limitations in the core list, or if you do, maybe make it an arbitrary number around 6 or so. There is definitely value in multiple entries per series being allowed.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm being won over by the arguments that Yakuza 0 qualifies as an RPG.

Probably would have made my honorable mentions if I considered it one.

I'm still not convinced that Breath of the Wild is one though, looks like it will do pretty well since it hasn't placed yet though.
It might not place at all.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Octopath is very new and its inclusion is weird, but can we not brush off people's votes for system exclusives as being part of some insidious """agenda"""? Also, all of the games here were sold to people, the "you only like it to justify your purchase" narrative is really condescending.

Votes are subjective. That's all there is to it. Nobody's vote is more valid than anybody else's.

If i sound condescending, then so be it. I did say i wouldnt be shocked to see it in the future (GOAT Lists), but my stance is not going to change on this. There is some people that form their opinion before ever playing a game(and this especially happens with exclusive games). Thats why you see people complaining about review scores on a game they have never played all the time.

To be clear, and very clear on this, I am not saying my opinion is greater than anybody else's. I have always tried to remain respectful on people's opinions, but I do believe there should have been a rule on a game having to be at least a month old. Octopath wasnt even released when this thread started. When voting concluded Octopath was what, 10 days old?

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I think people tend to see BotW more as an RPG than other Zeldas. LoZ, aLttP, and OoT got votes iirc.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Just based on the first few pages of this thread, I'd expect BotW to be somewhere in the middle of the Top 100.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
P4 almost always outranks P3 in these threads so I don't see why there would be meltdowns.
Yeah, P4 outranking P3 would be the least surprising thing to happen in this list. I expect it to outrank P5 too. It doesn't resonate with me as much as almost any other Persona game (though in a surprising twist I find myself warming to it again recently), but it's very clearly the favourite for many fans, as well as the jumping on point for a lot of people. It's the most teflon of all of them, with the complaints the others receive often washing straight off it, and I think that will always be the case because it just has that something that clicks with a lot of people.

Gotcha. I checked out the last thread like this on the old site, but only looked at the results. Never read the votes or discussion. But I've read a good amount of Persona threads and only remember seeing 3 fans high fiving each other for liking 3 the most. Figured there would be meltdowns because of that.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
To be clear, and very clear on this, I am not saying my opinion is greater than anybody else's. I have always tried to remain respectful on people's opinions, but I do believe there should have been a rule on a game having to be at least a month old. Octopath wasnt even released when this thread started. When voting concluded Octopath was what, 10 days old?

There's a wide variety of people on ERA. It's possible some voters had early copies for reviews or whatever. Others play games very quickly. I know I got 20+ hours into Octopath before the voting period ended and while I chose not to include it on my list, others could easily form enough of an opinion on it if they played similar amounts or more. And I know in the main Octopath thread people were already discussing endgame/postgame content while I was still working on early stuff.

This is a gaming enthusiast forum, there's a high likelihood people who voted for Octopath actually played a decent amount of it and pushing the idea that people voted for it without playing it seems presumptuous.

I can see that. I think it feels closer to an RPG than any other besides Zelda 2. I personally wouldn't call it one but I can see why others might.

I'm curious to see how other people define RPGs. For me, it has to involve experience gaining and level progression, along with some level of choice and character customization whether it be by skills or job classes. There also have to be some sort of stats (usually) that offer different ways to play your character(s) as well.

I said earlier I love Horizon: Zero Dawn but never really thought of it as an RPG. I think it's primarily because even though you level up and have skills to customize Aloy, the upgrades to stats are usually making her weapons better. Same with God of War, I felt like I was upgrading Kratos' axe and not Kratos himself, and thus I consider it more an action game.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Gotcha. I checked out the last thread like this on the old site, but only looked at the results. Never read the votes or discussion. But I've read a good amount of Persona threads and only remember seeing 3 fans high fiving each other for liking 3 the most. Figured there would be meltdowns because of that.
Ha, it's definitely getting like Final Fantasy where people have allegiances to certain entries (and I've seen it with every entry now except 1, poor thing), so I do think there might be some bickering, but I think people should know to prepare themselves for 4 to receive a lot of love. It's weird to me though, I feel like if you enjoy one modern Persona game you should enjoy them all - 4 is my least favourite but like...I poured a lot of time into it. Placement is kind of moot for me when they're pretty close in terms of relative quality.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
There's a wide variety of people on ERA. It's possible some voters had early copies for reviews or whatever. Others play games very quickly. I know I got 20+ hours into Octopath before the voting period ended and while I chose not to include it on my list, others could easily form enough of an opinion on it if they played similar amounts or more. And I know in the main Octopath thread people were already discussing endgame/postgame content while I was still working on early stuff.

This is a gaming enthusiast forum, there's a high likelihood people who voted for Octopath actually played a decent amount of it and pushing the idea that people voted for it without playing it seems presumptuous.

presumptuous, condescending, whatever words you want to use, i still firmly believe there should have been a rule including a game that is not even two weeks old by the time voting concluded. I highly doubt people were voting for it with early review copies though.

I voiced my reason as to why. Whether you agree, or disagree is up to you. With the amount of criticism it has gotten for being included, i know im not the only one that feels this way.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I'd beaten Octopath by the time voting concluded. I'm sure many others had as well. Beyond that, a lot of people definitely made good progress in the game. I don't think it is that weird that people voted for it. We're an enthusiast board, people can consume games quite quickly here.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I said earlier I love Horizon: Zero Dawn but never really thought of it as an RPG. I think it's primarily because even though you level up and have skills to customize Aloy, the upgrades to stats are usually making her weapons better. Same with God of War, I felt like I was upgrading Kratos' axe and not Kratos himself, and thus I consider it more an action game.

Pokemon is sort of like this if you think about it. You are clearly playing a Poke-trainer avatar who doesn't level up at all (beyond the badges that allow for some perks and proper control over strong pokemon). The pokemon are basically your weapons/equipment and those are what you level and skill.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
presumptuous, condescending, whatever words you want to use, i still firmly believe there should have been a rule including a game that is not even two weeks old by the time voting concluded. I highly doubt people were voting for it with early review copies though.

I voiced my reason as to why. Whether you agree, or disagree is up to you. With the amount of criticism it has gotten for being included, i know im not the only one that feels this way.
i'm not sure how to perceive posts like yours and other posters complaining about OT's result. I can understand peoples feelings if it's a matter of the game being included too early isn't fair to OT itself(the game ranked quite high even though many people have yet to play it) and that resulted in it being quite low when in future rankings it could be much higher once the amount of people finishing will be able to have an opinion. To me, it's starting to feel like a lot of people complaining are upset because they don't like OT and don't want it ranking so high and demand limitations should have existed to prevent that. The fact is, enough people voted and enjoyed it to make top 100 and that's completely fair. It makes sense if the argument is in support of OT but if this criticism is coming out because you dislike OT then that's just the same petty complaining about results that is happening every time more games are released.

I say all of this as someone who hasn't played it yet. I don't have a bias because I have no idea if I will like it or not.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet

I think the list is self-regulating enough that having an arbitrary time limit cutoff isn't needed. If a game like, say, Tyranny was released a week before the list's voting period ended I doubt it would show up on our top 100. On the other hand if next time we do this Divinity: Original Sin 3 or something releases right before the voting period I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up in a similar place to Octopath.

Enough people played enough of the game to consider it worthwhile to put on the list while others who played it (like myself) judged it too early to put on the list. The result was it cracked the top 100 but at a very low spot all things considered. I could see making a fuss if it was top 20 or something, but considering this list will hang around for a year it's not bad at all to have a relatively new RPG for a popular console on the list as a suggestion for newcomers.

Pokemon is sort of like this if you think about it. You are clearly playing a Poke-trainer avatar who doesn't level up at all (beyond the badges that allow for some perks and proper control over strong pokemon). The pokemon are basically your weapons/equipment and those are what you level and skill.

I don't really consider Pokémon an RPG either so this fits right in with my thinking, heh.

But I can also see the argument that the Pokémon are your "party" and you're leveling and customizing them (especially if you take EV and IV into account) so I'm more forgiving about people who do think they're RPGs.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Im ok with FFXV being similar to FFVIII in terms of split opinions. Funny thing is, I love FFXV, and just started playing FFVIII and already it has hit me with a high note, where as I didnt care for FF6 and FF10. Ive told myself that I should replay these, afterall they must be loved for a reason, but it seems they just dont connect with me. Similar to Persona 3 and Persona 5 not doing much for me, but Persona 4 I find to be amazing.

The annoyance i have is the people who dislike the game makes the most insufferable comments. As if they somehow are the only ones with opinions, and if they say its awful, it must be true.

FFVIII is my second favorite Final Fantasy game. So I will be elated to see if it ranks in the top 20.

And yeah, I've played every mainline FF game and find my opinions on each game are very different from everyone else's. But it also helps me that I replay the entire series every five years to inform myself of the games and their design.

I find a lot of people who like the older games have a lot of nostalgia for them and that colors their impression of the older games.

The Essential RPGs get voted every/every other year, so this isn't a definitive list that is supposed to stand the test of time for now and forever. If a game places high on the list only because its hype cycle is still fresh on people's mind then that might influence its position for a year or two, but in the long run its position on the chart is going to normalize. So, if Octopath or FFXV won't hold up for people, we'll see both of them dropping in the next lists. (Although in Octopath's case I'd expect it to climb higher before it eventually might drop again).

E.g. Bravely Default originally debuted in the 50's and then made a sharp drop to the 90's just a year later (and remained in that ballpark in this year's vote).

Its weird to point to recency bias for XV when there are a ton of other games on the list that are much more recent than it.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
i'm not sure how to perceive posts like yours and other posters complaining about OT's result. I can understand peoples feelings if it's a matter of the game being included too early isn't fair to OT itself(the game ranked quite high even though many people have yet to play it) and that resulted in it being quite low when in future rankings it could be much higher once the amount of people finishing will be able to have an opinion. To me, it's starting to feel like a lot of people complaining are upset because they don't like OT and don't want it ranking so high and demand limitations should have existed to prevent that. The fact is, enough people voted and enjoyed it to make top 100 and that's completely fair. It makes sense if the argument is in support of OT but if this criticism is coming out because you dislike OT then that's just the same petty complaining about results that is happening every time more games are released.

I say all of this as someone who hasn't played it yet. I don't have a bias because I have no idea if I will like it or not.

I would be surprised if Octopath doesnt end up on the next iteration of this thread, or even much higher. im not questioning the quality of Octopath (i preordered it), rather and ive already said this a few times, so im not sure why you dont know how to perceive this, but I think there should be a rule in place for how old a game should be. If the game was even a month old, i wouldnt have made a peep, but you can look back way on page 6, july 11th me commenting about this very topic because people were voting for Octopath before it even released.

It already happened, so be it, but personally i find it to be the most questionable inclusion on this list, and that has nothing to do with quality.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
FFVIII is my second favorite Final Fantasy game. So I will be elated to see if it ranks in the top 20.

And yeah, I've played every mainline FF game and find my opinions on each game are very different from everyone else's. But it also helps me that I replay the entire series every five years to inform myself of the games and their design.

I find a lot of people who like the older games have a lot of nostalgia for them and that colors their impression of the older games.

Its weird to point to recency bias for XV when there are a ton of other games on the list that are much more recent than it.

I think because of the fact that it's the most recent Final Fantasy and it's been continually updated for the last year and a half (with more DLC still in the pipe) the idea of recency bias still populates in people's heads. It's weird that people think a game has to be shelved for a while and mulled over before a real opinion can be made on it.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I would be surprised if Octopath doesnt end up on the next iteration of this thread, or even much higher. im not questioning the quality of Octopath (i preordered it), rather and ive already said this a few times, so im not sure why you dont know how to perceive this, but I think there should be a rule in place for how old a game should be. If the game was even a month old, i wouldnt have made a peep, but you can look back way on page 6, july 11th me commenting about this very topic because people were voting for Octopath before it even released.

It already happened, so be it, but personally i find it to be the most questionable inclusion on this list, and that has nothing to do with quality.
I'm having difficulty because I don't see why it matters. You're not saying why you care that it's recent and how that shows it shouldn't be ranked you just keep repeating that games within a certain period of release shouldn't be allowed. I brought up if this concern is due to the game not getting a fair chance since not as many people will have played it but since you didn't agree with that I'm not sure what your reasoning is. If you think it will receive a more critical approach well...there's nothing in these votes that can affect a game negatively so that wouldn't determine anything either. The only option left is that you think the people voting will change their mind the longer it's out and I don't think that is a fair assessment of posters here. If they like the game now and finished it then they have every right to view it as one of their favourite RPG's and recommend it to other posters.

I'm just trying to understand what your intention is with limiting OT.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to see how other people define RPGs. For me, it has to involve experience gaining and level progression, along with some level of choice and character customization whether it be by skills or job classes. There also have to be some sort of stats (usually) that offer different ways to play your character(s) as well.

IGN defined an element of RPGs pretty well: Generally the game should focus less on mechanical ability and more on progression and story. This eliminates games such as the God of Wars (the originals; I don't like by the way that allot of people aren't referring to the 2017 game as God of War 2017 anymore >_>) which effectively give experience and offers customization like an RPG but is clearly more action-oriented. It might otherwise lock out Tales of games but those games are still relatively lenient and focus heavily on story and interaction.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Given the purpose of this thread, Octopath being on it is fine by me. This project has kept me from playing more than the first few hours, but RPGs like Octopath are not really represented here (none of the many SaGa games got enough support for instance). And from what I have heard from people who like Octopath's style of RPG, it's one of the better ones.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
I think because of the fact that it's the most recent Final Fantasy and it's been continually updated for the last year and a half (with more DLC still in the pipe) the idea of recency bias still populates in people's heads. It's weird that people think a game has to be shelved for a while and mulled over before a real opinion can be made on it.
Nah; P5 and Nier Automata are newer and no ones accusing that of recency bias. It's just salt and sour grapes that a game they hate is successful

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There were several very high quality write-ups for Octopath, notably The Dink 's here. We can hem and haw about recency bias and potential cutoffs but at the end of the day, it was a game that produced a lot of passionate fans who articulated in detail why the game is worth including on this list. I don't see the problem with an essentials list with 100 slots having a single slot for a very well-received and unique RPG that just released.
I should play Terranigma. Reading write-ups for it made it come across very appealing to me.
You should! It's a very fun game and pretty short as well. Everyone should at least give it a shot. I consider it the best action RPG from the 16-bit era.
I'm just going to sit back and wait for Phantasy Star 1, 2 and 4 to occupy the top 10 slots...
skeleton-computer.jpg

I'm part of the problem though, never beaten a Phantasy Star game. I started PSIV during the voting period hoping to finish it in time for a potential inclusion, but got completely sidetracked by Octopath.
Final Fantasy XV is new-ish and I get that recent games will do better in lists like these, but seeing it above Oblivion... wasn't expecting that.
To be honest I'm astounded Oblivion is actually on this list. I'd assume Skyrim appeals more to the newer side of the fanbase and Morrowind appeals more to the older side. I'm not really sure who Oblivion appeals to.

Last edited:

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having difficulty because I don't see why it matters. You're not saying why you care that it's recent and how that shows it shouldn't be ranked you just keep repeating that games within a certain period of release shouldn't be allowed. I brought up if this concern is due to the game not getting a fair chance since not as many people will have played it but since you didn't agree with that I'm not sure what your reasoning is. If you think it will receive a more critical approach well...there's nothing in these votes that can affect a game negatively so that wouldn't determine anything either. The only option left is that you think the people voting will change their mind the longer it's out and I don't think that is a fair assessment of posters here. If they like the game now and finished it then they have every right to view it as one of their favourite RPG's and recommend it to other posters.

I'm just trying to understand what your intention is with limiting OT.
Ill just ask you this. Do you believe that some people form an opinion before they play something? Do you believe that some people try to hype recent releases up no matter what? Its a psychology thing, and im vulnerable to it just like anybody else.

If you would have asked me within the first two weeks of me playing Persona 5, I would have possibly said it was in my top 20 RPG games. Afterall I had been looking forward to this game for a very long time, and i was over-excited to play it. Then I tried to force myself into thinking it was a great game, but a year later when i finally finished the game(that slog i had mentioned before), i found myself upset that i wasted 100 hours playing a game I didnt like.

Whether it will rank higher or lower during the next iteration of this thread doesnt matter, because right now we are voting for this years, not next years, or the year after. You know how certain games are discluded in game of the year votes based off release date? I think the same should be said about something like this.

I find this to be inaccurate whether too high, or too low. Its too new.

Last edited:

Damisa Sarki

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 19, 2018
Great list. One of my favourite thing about the RPG genre is how diverse it can be. ME3, The Witcher 2 and FFXV are so drastically different but amazing nonetheless.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Ill just ask you this. Do you believe that some people try to form an opinion before they play something? Do you believe that some people try to hype recent releases up no matter what? Its a psychology thing, and im vulnerable to it just like anybody else.

If you would have asked me within the first two weeks of me playing Persona 5, I would have possibly said it was in my top 20 RPG games. Afterall I had been looking forward to this game for a very long time, and i was over-excited to play it. Then I tried to force myself into thinking it was a great game, but a year later when i finally finished the game(that slog i had mentioned before), i found myself upset that i wasted 100 hours playing a game I didnt like.

Whether it will rank higher or lower during the next iteration of this thread doesnt matter, because right now we are voting for this years, not next years, or the year after. You know how certain games are discluded in game of the year votes based off release date? I think the same should be said about something like this.
Sure but I still don't agree that should limit a game from being included. It released in 2018, it qualified by all means other than the fact you disagree with the time frame between it's release and voting. Many posters went out of their way to write up their feelings on why they love and recommend OT and I'm not going to dismiss that as just recency bias. Most of the games I've played my feelings didn't change years later so there is no reason to hold that against posters just because you personally had an experience that went that way.

I ask again, why does any of this matter to you? What about OT ranking bothers you? Don't go into why people might have voted for it. Tell me why YOU specifically do not agree with the qualifications and result. Is you entire point "It doesn't deserve to rank because peoples opinions can't be trusted this early'? Because I don't understand this mentality. Why allow reviews if they can't be trusted with how early they're given?

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
There are people who love and hate every game on the list. It doesn't matter if it is FFXV or CT. Saying a game doesn't deserve to be on the list is silly. If enough people voted for a game to be on this list then it deserves to be there no matter how much someone hates it.

Recency bias can effect rankings, but I don't think that FFXV or even more recent games like P5 and Nier are effected recency bias. All those games are well over a year old by this point. DLC or no.

On a personal level I don't mind games ranking in positions I don't want them to. We all like different things and I recognize this list ranks the games based on our whole communities preferences, not my own.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I ask again, why does any of this matter to you? What about OT ranking bothers you? Don't go into why people might have voted for it. Tell me why YOU specifically do not agree with the qualifications and result. Is you entire point "It doesn't deserve to rank because peoples opinions can't be trusted this early'? Because I don't understand this mentality. Why allow reviews if they can't be trusted with how early they're given?

Literally, nothing bothers me about the rankings besides Octopath being included, which Ive already said why. I find it inaccurate for several reasons(Whether too high, or too low).

As for reviews, I already have several issues with reviews, so Im not going to get into all that in here, nor do i think they relate to one another. The closest thing i think this relates to is Game of The Year voting.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
XV above V feels like a recency bias sort of thing, but whatever. I guess the same could be said of Octopath, which I would rank high above it.

But both games are represented and I imagine we're going to see a lot more FF before this is over with, so OK. But still... XV better than Chrono Trigger?! get outta here! EDIT: Ignore this I scrolled through the list a little too quickly today

Last edited:

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he's right. When a game is fresh the hype is real. You have to wait for the dust to settle. Not to say the game doesn't belong on the list, it's just too soon to say.

Although I appreciate telling people 'your opinions can't be trusted this soon' is going to ruffle feathers, it's true.