• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To those who haven't played Yakuza 0, I can see why you might be frustrated to see it pop up in the list. In fact, it's even listed by Sega as an action-adventure.

But if you play the game, it's remarkably like a RPG. In fact, I'd go as far to say it's an RPG with brawler combat. There is a ton of side quests (hall mark of RPGs). There is equipment and crafting. There is something akin to a job system (the combat stances) that you can upgrade.

The battles are random like the classic jRPGs.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised that Final Fantasy XV is out so early but very happy that it made it so far into the rate. The game is incredibly charming and sunk me in deep - some of the best dungeon design in the series, gorgeous to look at, and filled with so many unique ideas. It is an oddball in the series, for sure, but I think it is a great one. Noctis ended up being one of my favorite protagonists in the series.
I agree so much with you. The game has so many flaws, despite that i love it so much. Its highs are really high for me and overcome any of the misgivings i might have with it. And yes, Noctis is awesome.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Oh dear, I hope people don't get too upset FFXV is in the Top 100 RPGs.

It actually ended up higher than I thought it would. Didn't realize how many people actually voted for it. There were a lot of great games it beat out to get that spot. Nonetheless, I am happy it's here. :)

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Celebrate with some XV music! :D

(FFXV spoilers in video)

just realized Tokyo Mirage #FE hasn't shown its ugly head. Is it seriously going to be ranked over Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story, Fire Emblem 2003, Kingdom Hearts and Oblivion???
source.gif

Lol. I love this gif.

I don't think it has managed to be on the list, as it also happens with FF XIII. If not it will be ultra shocking.

I don't think XIII will make the list.

And on that note, I don't think XIV will make it either. But I feel that mostly has to do with it being an MMO and some considering that not "the same" as an RPG...

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I actually think FFXV has a pretty good placement all things considered. I think it is "essential" in that it's worth playing to form your own opinion on, not to mention its historical importance and technical aspects. It may not be as good as some of the entries behind it, but I don't think that's the only factor we have to consider. For what it's worth I like the game a lot despite its flaws.

Also I think FFXII stands a chance at being on the list thanks to Zodiac Age hitting PC. I feel like it's the Final Fantasy that could most appeal to the CRPG crowd, too. I mean, Dragon Age Origins basically took the gambit system from it.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I gotta post music.

I actually think FFXV has a pretty good placement all things considered. I think it is "essential" in that it's worth playing to form your own opinion on, not to mention its historical importance and technical aspects. It may not be as good as some of the entries behind it, but I don't think that's the only factor we have to consider. For what it's worth I like the game a lot despite its flaws.

Also I think FFXII stands a chance at being on the list thanks to Zodiac Age hitting PC. I feel like it's the Final Fantasy that could most appeal to the CRPG crowd, too. I mean, Dragon Age Origins basically took the gambit system from it.

I am happy its on this list at all, as threads would make you believe it was the worst thing ever. Lol.

And I think XII will place well. Given your reasoning and the fact I saw it on a lot of lists. What a turnaround of opinion on that game since 2006. It's awesome.

Looks like Lightning has to deal with it this time.

tumblr_mo045tqLKy1s69mplo1_400.gif

Lmao.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Imagine putting Kingdom Hearts in the top 100 list of essential RPG's of all time, imagine being that forum.
I would find a forum not including it to be more embarrassing than vice versa. A unique crossover with tons of charms and an overall solid game even with the camera issues. I would say it is definitely an essential experience, it's sequels though are not.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ayyy XV made it. Could be higher (was expecting in the 50s), but still respectable nonetheless. Especially considering how vocal the hate for the game is on sites such as this. Wonder if next year's DLC will improve people's perception of the series.

Terranigma got robbed. And Fire Emblem above Secret of Mana is a tragedy.

You're right. Fire Emblem should be MUCH higher.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Wow, scorcher of an update. All five games in this range I would have expected to place higher except probably Terranigma. All five certainly deserved higher, in my opinion.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Terranigma has one of the highest barriers to entry on this list. If you are in North America, and are against emulation, no Terranigma for you.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Terranigma has one of the highest barriers to entry on this list. If you are in North America, and are against emulation, no Terranigma for you.
Yeah I was a bit surprised to even see it this high. Very few people have actually played it I think. It deserves a higher spot for sure (top 20 easy), but considering the circumstances, it's pretty good.

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
Minor, but I'm curious as to why the difficulty of Kingdom Hearts is "Easy" as opposed to "User Defined"? The game can be pretty challenging on level 1/Proud.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Likely controversial opinion, but Secret of Mana wouldn't even make my SNES top 10. It's a good game but I was never really enamored with it or anything, and I've heard the sequel is better. FE7 is one of the most solid FE entries so its placement is well deserved.

I'm also really surprised at XV's performance, I like the game but didn't expect it to make it this high into the list, at best I thought it would be top 90 or something so good job. Curious to see how it'll hold up in the future.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played or even looked at promotional images or videos of FFXV. Which is why I got confused at the description haha.

Like, Persona is Urban Fantasy, right? But then you call Pokémon R/S/E a Traditional RPG. That is kind of contemporary too when it comes to the setting?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Calm down, take a joke for once. No offense, but I thought my post was obviously not 100 % serious.

Sorry about that. I just really dislike people being so dismissive of other people's opinions some times. Like the person preemptively complaining about Tokyo Mirage Sessions placing higher then something else.

It just gets grating and sometime it's honestly hard for me to tell who's joking or not.

Sorry about that.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Exactly, it had an uphill battle. I'm quite proud that it charted this high to begin with.

Likely controversial opinion, but Secret of Mana wouldn't even make my SNES top 10. It's a good game but I was never really enamored with it or anything, and I've heard the sequel is better. FE7 is one of the most solid FE entries so its placement is well deserved.
I respect what Secret of Mana did, but might barely crack my personal SNES Top 30. I really like Seiken Densetsu 3 and especially Legend of Mana though. Those games are a lot more polished, and have way more flavour.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've never played or even looked at promotional images or videos of FFXV. Which is why I got confused at the description haha.

Like, Persona is Urban Fantasy, right? But then you call Pokémon R/S/E a Traditional RPG. That is kind of contemporary too when it comes to the setting?

The design ethos of FFXV is "fantasy meets reality", so the usual trappings of Final Fantasy (crystals, chocobos, monsters, magic etc.) are placed into environments based on modern day Tokyo, Latin America and more. Persona is different in that the fantastical elements are cordoned off in an alternate world, while Pokémon has a deliberately vague time setting (a lot of it feels sci-fi when you see the level of technology in some places.)

I would argue that something like Devil Survivor would fall under the Contemporary Fantasy umbrella, though, at least up until a point.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait so Era doesn't hate XV? So it's safe to say I like it now?

Good list so far. Lots of stuff I still need to check out.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Ayyy XV made it. Could be higher (was expecting in the 50s), but still respectable nonetheless. Especially considering how vocal the hate for the game is on sites such as this. Wonder if next year's DLC will improve people's perception of the series.

You're right. Fire Emblem should be MUCH higher.
You are absolutely right. It belongs much higher. Somewhere at the beginning of the OP.
These games arent getting enough love in 2018. Im guessing Secret of Evermore, soul blazer and Illusion Gaia wont make the list sadly.
I know and agree. And those are tragedies too. But there is no definitive word on them not being on the list, so I will wait to be outraged about it. I will call it out once the list is finished. Someone has to stick up for these games and leave the conversation to the vocal minorities of SMT and TO fans.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Terranigma making the list is a surprise, especially with how North American this board is. Never really played it, mainly due to it not having am official release in the America's, even though I have heard great things about it.

Exactly, it had an uphill battle. I'm quite proud that it charted this high to begin with.

I respect what Secret of Mana did, but might barely crack my personal SNES Top 30. I really like Seiken Densetsu 3 and especially Legend of Mana though. Those games are a lot more polished, and have way more flavour.
Secret of Mana is actually pretty high on my SNES list just because I played the game the first time three player almost all the way through, and the first two times I played it never played alone. An action RPG that was made to be multiplayer means it holds a special place in my heart. Seiken Densetsu 3 never coming west hurts it, and is why I never had the same experience playing it. Legend of Mana was so different than Secret that it really feels like a different series. I like it, just went into it with expectations that the game completely missed and as such view it much harsher than Secret.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine putting Kingdom Hearts in the top 100 list of essential RPG's of all time, imagine being that forum.
Era redeemed.
TMS#FE is better than every actual Fire Emblem game made to date COMBINED. True story.
I've been playing through it at the moment (I think I'm in the intermission between chapters 2 and 3) and I think it's okay so far. Great presentation as everything Atlus, but I'm disappointed at the town NPCs. They have nothing interesting to say.
I'm probably spoiled by Falcom games in that respect :/ Especially as I played Tokoy Xanadu eX+ recently with its similar setting and that game's 'background' NPCs are just so far above TMS it's not even funny. Like, I legitimately like some of the NPCs and their character arcs in TX more than some main characters (or similarly) and I'm talking about entirely 'optional' background NPCs you don't even have to talk to the entire game.
I can probably immediately list over 10 such NPCs and their progression throughout the game off the top of my head.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's likely that 6-10, 12 and 14 will appear higher than 15. In which case that would leave 11,13 and 15 as the lowest ranking modern FF. Which seems fair.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
So it's likely that 6-10, 12 and 14 will appear higher than 15. In which case that would leave 11,13 and 15 as the lowest ranking modern FF. Which seems fair.

I'm entirely confused by the wording here. 11 and 13 aren't ranking. I didn't see a whole lot of XIV so it may not rank either. (I could be wrong as I don't have the ranks in front of me)

Which would leave 12 and 15 as the "highest ranking modern FF games". Its just a weird thing to throw out. Hence, why I am confused...

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can forgive that DS2 and FFXV are on the list, since Terranigam ranked higher.