• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The Witcher 3

53412.png

The RPG masterpiece. Play as Geralt of Rivia, the unrivaled monster hunter across the utterly mesmerizing world, in a quest to save his adopted daughter and save the world from peril. At its heart, The Witcher 3 is an RPG and this is where it truly shines. Which means that you can see actions that you made previously influence the game environment and its people later on. Relationships also continue to be a key part of the lore, which becomes even more intriguing due to the gray world that Geralt lives in. Lines between good and evil are often blurred as you can be dealing with nice folks one minute then working with horrible people the next. Geralt himself can be a pretty gray character and you can choose to play him in different ways, at least as far as choices go, both in combat and out of combat. It may be a world of magic and monsters, but there's a certain authenticity to it all. The Witcher 3 offers a gorgeous open world with a real sense of place. The cities are big enough that they actually feel like cities, while the wilderness is vast, sprawling and dangerous. It's an amazing and fully immersive world to roleplay in.

As for the rest of the list, I put everything in alphabetical order.

--VOTE INFO START—

<HIGHLIGHT VOTE– 4 points>
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
</HIGHLIGHT VOTE– 4 points>

<FULL POINT GAMES – 2 points>
Dark Souls
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dragon Age: Origins
Fallout 2
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy XIV
Mass Effect 2
Persona 5
Suikoden II

</HONORABLE MENTIONS – 1 point>
Baldur's Gate II
Chrono Cross
Dragon Quest VIII
Dragon's Dogma
Final Fantasy Tactics
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Planescape: Torment
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Xenoblade Chronicles
Xenogears

--VOTE INFO END--

46506.jpg

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Since we're on a new page, don't forget to include the voting format in your final lists! Counting votes is automated/done through a script (iirc), so your votes can be missed if you don't have the voting format below.

Also, don't forget to write up at least a sentence or two (or more, your call) about your entries. It prevents this from just being a list thread.

From OP -
Voting Format

I encourage you to be creative with your lists. I know that some people like to include pictures or banners to go along with their picks. Here are some quality examples so far:
<Coming soon!>

However, You must include the ballot below at the bottom of your list! The first pass of vote counting will be automated, so this is essential.

Do not change the rest of the formatting. Please include the VOTE INFO START and VOTE INFO END lines. If you are voting for fewer than the maximum games, delete any lines that do not apply.

--VOTE INFO START—

Title 1 here

Title 2 here
Title 3 here
Title 4 here
Title 5 here
Title 6 here
Title 7 here
Title 8 here
Title 9 here
Title 10 here
</FULL POINT GAMES – 2 points>

<HONORABLE MENTIONS – 1 point>
HM Title 1 here
HM Title 2 here
HM Title 3 here
HM Title 4 here
HM Title 5 here
HM Title 6 here
HM Title 7 here
HM Title 8 here
HM Title 9 here
HM Title 10 here

--VOTE INFO END--

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Piston You need the Vote Info Start and End lines too, tbc.

Beginning to develop my take-away list already. Some pertinent reminders of games I still haven't played but should appeal to me in here :).

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
psiv_cover_cousin_gaming.png

A lot of people grew up with Super Nintendo's, and I think Phantasy Star as a series gets ignored a lot. Sega had some great RPGs on their systems, and this one should not be overlooked. The battles were fun and challenging, with combo attacks like in Chrono Trigger. You can even save macros so you don't have the tedium of just holding 'attack' through every battle. It also makes the pace of the game feel faster and smoother than any of its contemporaries. Got a huge trash mob in a random battle? Just use the Macro that combines Chaz and Rune's magic and you'll clear them out without having to select the spells and techniques from menus.

The story is also more mature than most of the games of its time, using elements like death, religious cults and the nature of humanity. The party travels between different planets in the Algol solar system, facing off against the cosmic horror of the Dark Force, which looks like it was created by H.R. Giger specifically to give kids nightmares. The characters are drawn in a fantastic late 80's / early 90's anime style, and are interesting and diverse. Humans, wizards, androids and a genetically engineered space elf join you on your quest through the game. The story is told using a lot of dynamic comic book style cutscenes, a technique so efffective I wonder why other 16-bit RPGs never used it.

It's also worth mentioning that the game was directed by a woman, Reiko Kodama, who also created and designed much of the game's field graphics. Ms. Kodama was instrumental to the series creation, designing all the characters and worlds of the first Phantasy Star on the Master System. As such this game is a perfect close to the unique mythology she began in the first game.

UIG3Ab5.png

Ok, I'll level with you all. Final Fantasy 7 is actually my favorite game of all time. I only made Phantasy Star IV my highlight vote in order to give it more visibility, because we all know FF7 is going to be on the list. It introduced a new generation of gamers to JRPGs, and even made them really hot for awhile. More than anything, this is the game that built Squaresoft and made it into the JRPG juggernaut it would be for the next decade following this game.

And really, it deserves it. FF7 is unlike any RPG to come before it. While most RPGs of the time stuck with typical high fantasy tropes, this game pushed the genre to new limits, and is still ahead of its time in many ways. It seems almost too relevant that the game begins with you taking part in eco terrorism to save the planet from a greedy corporation sucking the literal lifeblood from the planet. It also dares us to question whether humanity as a whole is worth saving, or whether or not the planet would be better off without us. The theme of this game is 'life', and it shows. Nowhere else will you find such a range of the human experience in just one game. From prostitution, to homelessness, to mental illness to death and birth... it has everything.

I'd talk more at length about it, but you already know this game. If you haven't played it, do it now.

MFxQbjS.png

If FF7 was breaking new ground and pushing the genre to its limits, Lunar was its old fashioned counterpart. There wasn't anything specifically special about its setting, or game systems. It was just a classic fantasy RPG done very, very well. It also was on the forefront console technology at the time, utilizing the CD format to deliver almost a full hour of Production IG animated cutscenes. Most all the in-game cutscenes were fully voiced. And say what you want about Working Design's translation, you have to admit it had charm and personality.

This game is on the list mainly for the reason that it makes me happy. The story is a very simple one about a boy and a girl from a small town, and how they grow to fall in love over the course of their adventure together. The 2D sprites are colorful and charming, and the music is upbeat and full of youthful energy. Over the course of the game, the characters truly grow to feel like family. It may not have the edginess of games like FF7 or Vagrant Story or Xenogeas. But it makes me happy, and I hope you give it a shot.

8z8g7fS.png

I have never had a game utterly destroy my heart like this one has. There were some points at which I was so emotionally devastated that I couldn't keep pressing buttons and do what the game was asking me to do. The game literally had me crying in the fetal position, unable to go forward at points. Yoko Taro is a both a sadistic maniac and a twisted genius in the same vein as Evangelion's Hideaki Anno. If any anime fans are reading this and want a spiritual successor to Evangelion, look no further than this game.

The gameplay itself is fast and fluid, but the true star of the show is the game's story. The way it incorporates the game mechanics to tell itself maximizes the emotional impact to the player in a way that's never really been done before in a game. The 'hacking' mechanic is a great example of this. Anytime another AI is trying to hack your android's mine, you shift to a retro style mini-game, complete with chip tune music. On that note, it also helps that this game has probably the most beautiful soundtrack of any game to ever exist. Emi Evans' beautiful vocals feel almost otherwordly, adding to the beautifully sad tone of the game.

As it moves along it feels like there's just gutpunch after gutpunch, until, like the characters you're controlling, you feel as if you just can't take it anymore. This game is an absolute masterpiece in every sense of the word. It belongs on everyone's lists of games to play before you die.

OepyqIX.png

Many compare great RPG stories with movies or TV shows. Suikoden II is one that feels like a truly epic historical novel. Its scope is both huge and small at the same time. It's the story of empires falling, of war and betrayal. But at the same time, it's a story about a group of friends and how that war tears them apart and changes them forever.

The game's three battle systems are a testament to that 'epic, yet intimate' approach. Most battles are of the traditional RPG variety, with a party of 6 facing down a small group of enemies. Yet when the story calls for battles between nations, it shifts to a strategy game where you command armies. And for the truly personal moments in the story, there's a 1 on 1 battle mode where one wrong move can mean instant death.

Over the course of the game, you collect 108 characters, building your castle village and adding to its culture with each new inhabitant. One of them unlocks an entire mini-game of cooking competitions, much like Iron Chef. Others unlock gambling mini-games. Another runs the inn, and still another the bath house. There's also some different branches the story can take, including different endings. The depth in this game makes the player feel they have a degree of choice over what happens, and like there's always a new discovery just around the corner.

0s0wCrB.png

Panzer Dragoon Saga is likely the best RPG you've never played. Released during the final years of the Saturn, so few copies were released that the game now goes for nearly 1,000 dollars on Ebay. That's right... 1,000 dollars. I kinda regret selling my copy for 400 back in college now. It was a critical smash hit, with many players preferring its exotic approach over that of the more popular Final Fantasy VII.

At the beginning of the game, you befriend a dragon who will be your companion through rest of the game. The dragon itself can morph into different forms, adding variety to the game's many aerial battles. The enemies themselves are strange and varied, and some of the bosses are both challenging and frightning.

The story takes place in a unique setting inspired by the work of the french artist Mobius. In spite of the Saturn's lack of technical power, the visuals are designed so effectively that you truly feel a part of this strange and beautiful world.
The soundtrack is one of the best in the genre, and it truly must be experienced.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is one of those games that feels like its art. If you've got the disposable income, it's worth landing a copy. It's easily the best RPG on the Saturn, if not the best game overall for the system.

HzhWYSW.png

The older you get, the darker the world seems. Sometimes it feels like no matter what you look, empathy is a sorely missed quality. Undertale is a small indie game that does what no other RPG does; it actively teaches the player empathy. The way that the mechanics of roll out this revelation is shocking if you approach the game as you would any other RPG by grinding through battles. Every single action you take effects the people around you in a very real way, until you learn just how horrible the consequences for your actions can be.

Combat is also innovative and fresh. Instead of using only menu based commands, small retro-style mini-games are used to determine the outcome. Some of these are asteroids-esque shooter games, while others feel like platformers. Each enemy is a puzzle unto themselves, where only the right sequence of actions will give you victory.

The true revelations of the story only come to you once you've learned how to overcome your confrontations without taking the lives of your opponents. And the tale that's told from that point on is heart-breaking; taking creative advantage of the game's format to weave a tragedy of loss and hope. This is one of the few rare games that can change who you are forever, and three years later I'm still in owe of how Toby Fox pulled this off

zA4ygWQ.png

Notorious for its brutal, unforgiving difficulty, Dark Souls took the industry by world when it released seven years ago. Gathering more widespread attention than its predecessor, Demon's Souls, the game was something of a breath of fresh air for a great many gamers who had grown tired of quick time events and easy 'press x to win' mechanics. Its design is masterful in its simplicity, hearkening back to many of the smart minimalist choices made in the days of the NES.

Much like the classic RPGs of the past, you're simply thrown into a world with little explanation of your quest or what it means to the world at large. If you wish to find answers, it's up to you to explore the bleak, yet beautiful world around you and brave its dangers. And what a world it is. You're always just one corner away from discovering some new shortcut, or a weapon... or a horrible demon that can kill you with one swipe of its club.

The gamplay perfectly compliments its narrative, as well. You play as undead, cursed with the eternal life. Each time you die, the darksign curse takes you back to the nearest fire at which you rested. The 'hollows' around you are just as you once where, an undead on an adventure. The only difference between you and them is that all the death drove them to a state of animal like insanity when they chose to give up.

The online matchmaking system is also innovative. Players can choose to enter the worlds of other players, to either aide them on their quest, or to make their lives hell. At times, an invader can even stop your progress for hours. But as with the rest of the game, if you preserve and work hard, you will be rewarded for your persistence. There's absolutely nothing like the euphoric sense of accomplishment you get when you finally manage to fell a demon you've been dying to for days. As with most games on the list, it's a feeling you've just got to experience for yourself.

E2kEHHk.png

The thing that sets RPGs apart is the unique experience of stepping into a role and seeing the world through the eyes of its protagonist. Unfortunately for girls like myself, that role is all too often that of a wide-eyed teenage boy, eager to start on an adventure. Games like the Persona series are even more difficult at times to relate to. Much of these types of games focuses on dating, and other social interactions with the world from the perspective of a straight male. Being neither straight nor male, there are many points at which the game simply doesn't allow me to do what I normally would in a given situation. Sometimes I can ignore it and enjoy the story. Other times it's intensely frustrating.

Persona 3 Portable changes all of that. It's both a port and an expansion of the original Persona 3; but with a crucial change. It allows you to pick the gender of the protagonist you play as. Unlike Pokemon, this is not a simple cosmetic change. The way all the characters relate to and talk to you is very different depending on the gender you chose at the outset; as do its dating options. Playing as a girl allows you to pursue one (or more!) of the other boys around you, a feature that's sadly lacking in most games with female protagonists. You can even pursue something with another one of the girls, Aigis, though that path primarily relies on subtext.

Talk of gender and dating aside, the story is also very interesting. It's much darker in tone than the games that came after it, following the story of a club that kills 'shadows' when the midnight hour strikes. You and your team mates summon your Personas through shooting yourselves in the head with guns called 'Invokers', a design choice that I'm still surprised didn't have suburban moms everywhere clutching their pearls over. As the game progresses and you make your way to the top of the demonic tower Tarturus, the story follows many twists and turns until it meets its tragic end. Don't let the high-school anime trappings fool you; this is not an innocent game by any means. The cast struggles with real world teenage problems, from gang violence to sex and drug addiction.

The game itself is great fun and a huge time vacuum. You can spend hundreds of hours in this game, exploring all of its mini-games and social links. It's one of those games that takes the role-playing aspect very seriously. As a high school student, you've got to study for tests, pick clubs to join, take exams... it can all be pretty overwhelming, but cycle of progressing through your days is intensely addicting. I played this game mostly while going through a pretty bad illness a few years ago, and I could easily get absorbed in the game's passage of time so much that I'd hardly noticed six hours had passed in the real world. If ever you want to escape your own world and immerse yourself in another, this is the game to do that.

weTk3an.png

Final Fantasy's most successful spin-off to date, Final Fantasy Tactics deserves its status as a classic and then some. Along with its predecessor Tactics Ogre, it effectively popularized a new RPG hybrid genre that would come to be known as SRPGs (strategy RPGs).

Unlike the active time battle system of previous Final Fantasy games, Tactics opts for a slower, more thoughtful approach. Combat takes place on a large 3D map with square grids, enabling the player to hide behind structures to avoid attacks, or else gain the high ground to better take on the opposing army. It's almost perhaps the most perfect use of the classic Final Fantasy job system. Each of your characters can learn any skill in the game, from simple Black Mages and Knights to the more complex and powerful Samurai and Calculators. It also can be tough as nails, requiring you to be on your toes at all times. Well, at least until you get Thundergod Cid in your party, that is.

The story itself is ahead of its time. It's Game of Thrones in the days when most people didn't know what Game of Thrones was. Taking cues from medieval history, Matsuno weaves a compelling tale of political strife, class warfare, religious corruption, and a conspiracy going back centuries. The writing in this game surpasses nearly every role playing game made at the time, or since. It's simply that good. The art style is also unique, lending itself to the feel of the ancient days of knights, dragons and wizards. If you haven't yet played it, now's an excellent time to get sucked in and spend hours customizing your vast armies.

aUaxrlk.png

Probably the most 'controversial' addition to my list, but damn it... I can't help it. I love this game! It most certainly has its share of flaws, especially in the story's pacing. But what it gets right, it gets really right. I'm no newcomer to the Final Fantasy franchise. I've been playing them since VI was known as III over 20 years ago, and this is one of my favorites.

Originally, I was going to give the spot to Kingdom Hearts 2. Then I realized that Final Fantasy XV has everything I like about Kingdom Hearts and more, yet without the baggage of Kingdom Heart's complicated lore. The game's action based battle system is fun and fluid. Combat feels quick and breezy, seamlessly transitioning from exploration. Being able to customize Noctis's weapon load out and switch from character to character makes each experience feel new, and the ability to chain attacks with your comrades adds some interesting strategy to the game. More than anything though, the sheer variety of animations in battle is simply breathtaking.

And the mini-games... oh the mini-games. The pinball game is fun in its own right, but I haven't gotten this sucked into fishing since I played Breath of Fire III. Normally I hate fishing, but this game had me until the wee hours of the morning looking for the monsters of the deep I'd yet to catch.

Yet the heart of the story, and indeed why the game is on this list, is because of its characters. Noctis is truly a one of a kind protagonist, and the writing allows him to experience a wider range of emotions than many of his heroic contemporaries. Seeing the young prince grow from a pampered, somewhat selfish boy into the king he was meant to be is a journey all by itself. And the friends who join him make it all the better. It would almost be better to call them brothers, really, and Noctis's relationship with them is what makes this game something special. Many role playing games play the 'power of friendship' cliche, but this game makes it real. What can I say? Those guys... are the best.

--VOTE INFO START—

Phantasy Star IV

Final Fantasy 7
Lunar: Silver Star Story (Complete)
Persona 3 (Portable)
Suikoden 2
Dark Souls
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Final Fantasy XV
Nier Automata
Final Fantasy Tactics
Undertale

Nier
Super Mario RPG
Final Fantasy VI
Phantasy Star
Pokemon Gold/Silver
Parasite Eve
Kingdom Hearts 2
Xenogears
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy VIII

--VOTE INFO END--

Last edited:

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
I'm going to grab my post from last time since it hasn't changed. Happy to see this thread again!

zfu262T.png

lcIQXCO.jpg

1. Final Fantasy VIII

Final Fantasy VIII is a high recommendation and favourite from me for many reasons. There's a lot of fantastic traits VIII has that makes it a monster of an RPG. The story follows a 17 year old named Squall Leonhart who was raised in a military school called Balamb Garden. The development of Squall is incredibly interesting as you watch an introverted teenager thrust into situations and grow as a person because of them. Squall's growth is especially noticeable when he meets an upbeat teenager named Rinoa Heartilly whom he takes an interest in. Both have clashing personalities and together both these characters learn from their mistakes and improve throughout the story. The biggest thing about VIII's characters is they have many flaws and feel like real teenagers trying to get through situations that they shouldn't be in. VIII's leads are also contrasted by another small story in the game that follows young adults Laguna, Kiros and Ward who are complete opposites to VIII's young cast.

Final Fantasy VIII is an RPG full of lore and content. The game rewards you for exploring and taking time to talk to NPC's with changing dialogue expanding the history behind the games story. The side content is plenty such as Triple Triad, a card game that you can spend hours collecting and modding, hidden boss fights that net you powerful fighting tools, towns that expand on different races within VIII or characters that lived in them and mini games that are silly fun and reward you for completing them. The world is incredibly lively making you feel like you're actually part of a living world. The game blends realism and fantasy in a way that makes it easy to just relax in such a beautiful world.

The best aspects from VIII come from it's gorgeous world and character design and of course it's massive and fantastic soundtrack. Each town is memorable with it's own unique structure and mood. The music for each location creates a perfect setting. The game's soundtrack features a variety of different sounds, the gorgeous orchestra and chorus that immediately get's you pumped right from the intro to the relaxing and cozy Balamb Garden theme which then switches to the battle theme Don't Be Afraid making you ready to take what's coming on. There's very little to be dissapointed with when it comes to VIII's vast soundtrack, especially since it was the first Final Fantasy to contain a song with vocals that featured vocalist Faye Wong and composed by Nobuo Uematsu. The character and town designs are European influenced with many choices looking incredibly familiar yet unique in it's own way. Most of VIII's characters wear clothing that is a simple design but still has the fantasy feel and look to it. Each character stands out on their own and can easily be remembered for their design or personality quirks. The Full Motion Video's that use expression and motions to convey the meaning of each scene without words was extremely well done. A lot of VIII's cutscenes felt like short silent films with exciting and emotional moments in each one. There is many iconic moments from these FMV's that will easily be ingrained into players memories such as the Opening fight, The Dance and Ending.

Final Fantasy VIII's battle system is quite different from most RPG's due to it's Junction system which links magic to a characters stat when equipped with a particular summon(called Guardian Force in VIII) opening up particular stat increases depending on what magic is placed and where. The system, while easily broken due to Guardian Force abilities and Triple Triad modding, is quite open to player customization and allows for many differenty play styles in VIII keeping it fresh every time. The neat thing about VIII is that the game has an option to avoid Random Encounters, a staple complaint about RPG's, with no punishment if the player decides. The game does however punish players for over levelling by increasing monster levels with Squall. That is also easily avoided if you do not over level Squall. The system does still involve a three party setup with ATB battle but the options available in battle is quite vast. The limit break system is full of fun player interacting specials and the Guardian Forces can be boosted in battle when the ability is purchased.

To finish, VIII is an RPG that will not leave you bored. There is plenty to do and lot's of ways to play. There will be music setting the mood wherever you choose to go, dialogue to expand lore, quirky quests that have fun rewards and beautiful locations to explore. This is a must play RPG.

EtfoCSA.png

2. Final Fantasy Tactics
A world full of medieval war and politics, what's not to love? The game mixes fantasy and realism perfectly with a deep story about betrayal and corruption. The Job system is full of variety and abilities that will leave you addicted. The soundtrack is another major appeal to an already excellent game and is perfectly suited to each moment leaving you completely engaged to whats unfolding. Some personal favourite tracks would be Under The Stars, The Pervert, Trisection, Battle On The Bridge, Decisive Battle and Run Past Through The Plains if you want to get an idea of how fantastic this soundtrack really is.

The game follows a young man named Ramza who is from house Beoulve. What follows is a story of class corruption and clashing of beliefs that force Ramza to make difficult decisions and question his role and morals. He travels with his close friend Delita who was not highborn and is constantly reminded of it by those who were. These two coming from different classes makes for a struggling fight against those with corrupt morals.

Tactics is an RPG that you will be invested in for it's incredible story and have a ton of value gameplay wise.

MiuWH2z.png

3. Xenogears

Xenogears is a massive game that has so much complexity to it's story and characters. The lead is Fei Wong who starts off in a small peaceful village but when something goes wrong, Fei is soon forced to deal with the consequences of his choices. The game features what they call Gears, giant Mecha's that characters pilot.

The battle system features two different types of fighting, one with your characters and one with the characters in their Gears. Each style has it's own combo's and abilities that is unique to each character. The camera can be a little wonky throughout Xenogears but it only can be a bit of trouble when it comes to the platforming sections many of which are simple enough.

The music is another top notch RPG soundtrack that will put you right into the games mood. It features two gorgeous vocal tracks sung by Joanne Hogg and composed by Yasunori Mitsuda. The game has a great selection of battle and boss themes and the town themes full of celtic music influence.
rMRykIB.jpg

4. Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Silver was an incredible game. It took everything great about the previous generation R/B/G/Y and made it so much better. The game is huge with a ton of new pokemon to find and catch. The sprite designs were fantastic and a huge improvement over the previous ones. The story was a great tie into R/B/G.Y with it's option to travel back to Kanto once you completed it's new location, Johto. The game also introduced roaming Pokemon where you could run into these legendary beasts randomly throughout the world thus creating an unexpected aspect to travelling through populated pokemon areas. Silver added many other cool features to the series such as communication with trainers on a cellphone and a Night and Day system that also tied into evolving specific Pokemon.

Pokemon music has always been fantastic and this game was no exception. With previous tracks and new combined, Pokemon Silver was always ready to make sure your journey was truly an experience having sounds that perfectly set the tone for the many different type of battles and towns.

VcFENBS.png

5. Final Fantasy VII
One of the biggest and most well known RPG's, Final Fantasy VII is an amazing game that was a huge boost for RPG popularity and Final Fantasy as a brand. The game is led by a young man named Cloud Strife who works with a rebel group named Avalanche. The game starts you off with the idea that big companies are ruining the planet and Avalanche is trying to prevent it but soon the game opens up to something far worse than what the cast originally thought, especially when Cloud meets the mysterious Aeris Gainsborough . VII is full of tragedy and dark themes. We lose loved ones, experience identity issues, try to prevent the destruction of the planet and so much more. The gameplay introduced Materia which was a fun system to setting up magic and abilities. The story and cast is one of the best RPG casts out there with plenty of different characters to pick and choose from. While VII is a very dark game, it features quite a lot of quirky moments and humour. The music is quite memorable and while not the greatest Final Fantasy soundtrack it still holds up as a wonderful one.

This is one of the must play RPG's.

2tB9SRE.png

6. Dragon Quest VIII
My first Dragon Quest title and what a game to start with. This game had a massive open world that was fully explorable in 3D. The characters were fully voiced and well developed. The mini games were plenty and an easy time consumer that rewarded you with powerful equipment. The Dragon Quest games usually feature pretty straight forward but simple and charming stories so it was pleasant to see both VII and VIII still be completely charming yet have more depth to its characters and plot. There was so much to do in this game that you could spend hours on side content or exploration.

This is definitely the DQ title to start with and a fantastic RPG in general.

3zwZHrx.png

7. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

I'm giving this the Underrated rating due to it being absent from many Persona lists. The writing and characters in this are wonderful. This also avoids a lot of the recurring issues that the newer titles have such as weird treatment of female and gay characters, personality types carrying over from game to game and finally the romance system which while fun can also take away from characters to fit the romantic aspect. Even with these issues I still adore the later titles for their stylized appearance and poppy soundtracks but Persona 2 EP is special for it's place of being just before the huge changes that have become most known in the series. The music is great, as most Persona games are and the game features an adult cast which is not common in later games. The story, which is a sequel to the game Innocent Sin( I heavily recommend playing it before EP IF you want to understand some motives and characters) follows a female writer named Maya who begins following rumours that lead her into a chase to find someone.

The gameplay has a negotiation system that we saw return in Persona 5 in which you can convince monsters to give you Tarot cards or Items. It's a straightforward system outside of the negotiation system with regular attacks and spells that you can combo together depending on the order and spells used.

This is a game I heavily recommend people play, especially if you're a fan of the series but want something with a mature cast and focused character development.

z8NNiQc.png

8. Suikoden II
Suikoden II is actually incredibly fresh for me since I've just completed it recently. The story and characters are probably one of the most well written in gaming with heart wrenching moments that will make you care for these characters and what happens to them. The soundtrack is enjoyable and fit's the game quite well. The one downside to Suikoden II is that it's a bit of a mess in terms of the localization department and has a few slow downs from certain spells in battle. There's also some glitches that can affect items or characters. Suikoden II's strength is absolutely it's story and the way it is presented along with the character design which is fantastic and one of my favorites considering the game has over a 110+ characters with portraits. If story, characters and art design are important in an RPG to you then you will not be disappointed. The games battle system is simple enough and still quite fun though it doesn't add anything to the genre but that is more than alright for a game with such great writing.

VV9W23e.png

9. Chrono Trigger
The funny thing about Chrono Trigger is that it's not in my top 10 favourite games and barely breaks top 20 for me. So why do I have it in my top 10 essentials? Well it's because I DO think it's an essential RPG and here is why. The game is probably the most well packaged RPG out there. It doesn't do anything better than many other RPG's on individual categories but as a whole it's the most well rounded and one of the easiest to get into as a first. The artstyle is colorful, the cast is charming, the story is interesting and the gameplay is extremely fun. The soundtrack is another great aspect with incredibly memorable themes many of which are character themes. I may not place this game as high as other people do but I do think it's one of the most well made RPG's and absolutely deserves a high spot in this ranking. It's very difficult to find a game that manages to do every part of game well.

rA20z5k.png

10. Fire Emblem Path Of Radiance
My first Fire Emblem and by far the most challenging one I have played. The game can be incredibly punishing when you lose units in battle but it makes the fights tense and more strategic. The story is my favorite for the series with it being led by Ike, a young man part of a Mercenary group commanded by his father, Greil. An encounter with a mysterious women set's off events that lead to a harsh journey that will change Ike's life forever.

The art style is another fantastic part to this game that is full of variety. Different heights, styles, ages and races can be encountered and recruited.

If you love a challenging game with a fantastic story and cast then this game is for you.

<HIGHLIGHT VOTE– 4 points> 1. Final Fantasy VIII
2. Final Fantasy Tactics
3. Xenogears
4. Pokemon Silver
5. Final Fantasy VII

6. Dragon Quest VIII
7. Persona 2 Eternal Punishment
8. Suikoden II
9. Chrono Trigger
10. Fire Emblem Path Of Radiance

11. Final Fantasy X - Final Fantasy X is an amazingly colourful game with an emotional journey following a summoners pilgrimage and her guardians perspective of it

12. Valkyrie Chronicles - Tactical gameplay that is fun and challenging with a great cast

13. Chrono Cross - Amazing soundtrack and world design. A lot of characters to recruit and use

14. Persona 5 - An incredibly stylish and fun game about fighting against society's normalization of many different types of abuse from people in positions of power, particularly adults towards teenagers.

15. Tactics Ogre - Much like Final Fantasy Tactics this has a mature story and fun job system.

16. Kingdom Hearts - This series is greatest for it's battle system and soundtrack

17. Parasite Eve - Incredible horror story with a wonderful soundtrack and fantastic female lead

18. Ys VII - The three party system was a great addition to a wonderful action RPG series and plenty of party styles to choose from

19. Final Fantasy VI - Beautiful soundtrack and an interesting cast and story

20. Paper Mario

I also have to give mentions to Vagrant Story for it's challenging battle system, Suikoden for it's story and cast, Front Mission 3 for it's tactical gameplay and mecha customization and Persona 3 and 4 for their additions to the persona series that has become well known. Oh I forgot to add Mario RPG. Really surprised how much I loved this game. Not enough to crack my rankings but it's worth mentioning.

Edit: I guess we aren't doing underrated this time. I'll have to switch around my ranking.

Me though.

I only complained about the quote used. <3

You have great taste and youve convinced me to add FF VIII to my list :)

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Highlight Vote: Chrono Trigger
Chrono-Trigger-box.jpg

The best game ever made. There really isn't anything I would change about it, the cast of characters all feel unique, they all have their interesting and well fleshed out backstories, and none of them are actually bad, which is a rare thing for some RPGs. The story of this game is also the most concise story possibly ever written. In many RPGs there are sections where you look around and wonder "Why are the characters here? Why are we doing this section?" Chrono Trigger establishes the rules of the world, and then presents the main conflict. The future is messed up, try and fix it. Every place the party goes is part of that overall quest and everything flows together well. The music is superb, the locations are all unique but you still get that feeling of continuity that other time travel games lack.

Full Point Games, in alphabetical order:
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
0999.jpg

You get levels and weapons and there are stats, so I'm counting the IGAvania games as RPGs. Maybe the best GBA game. The souls mechanic is a really cool introduction to the series while still incorporating the new elements from SotN. Soma Cruz is an interesting character and his twist is a new unique aspect to the series. Many of the secret weapons and armors are also fun to get and use.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
236606-castlevania-symphony-of-the-night-limited-edition-playstation-front-cover.jpg

It really is a tie between which is the best Metroidvania in the series, Aria or this. Alucard just looks cool. The castle is incredibly interesting to explore, the bosses are all well designed, and the story elements are well-crafted as well, especially the ties to Rondo of Blood. It was also one of the few series to continue perfecting the 2D craft after most series went on to 3D, and it did it better than all of them.

Chrono Cross
2374_front.jpg

Chrono Cross gets a lot of criticism, mostly because it isn't Chrono Trigger. I love Chrono Cross. I think that it a beautiful game with some of the best locations and music in any RPG, at times even surpassing CT. While it does have some faults, there's nothing glaring that I would consider to making the game a worse experience. The battle system is also my all-time favorite turn-based system, removing the tedium of having to manage MP bars and worrying about being over or under-leveled. Yes, there are some really useless characters, and the plot is not nearly as focused as Chrono Trigger, but it is still a fantastic game (and better than FF7 coughcough).

EarthBound
box-art-earthbound.jpg

Oh EarthBound. The beginning of the game starts out as a slow adventure in a sleepy town, and eventually evolves into a grand modern-esque RPG adventure. Moonside might be the coolest twist in a game ever, and the second half of the game really takes you to interesting locations.

Final Fantasy VI
FinalFantasyVI_SuperFami_front.jpg

FF6 is a joy to play. Really interesting characters, some really beautiful scenes and music, and some of the best villains make this the best Final Fantasy game ever. It's a game where the force of evil felt real, and the world felt magical.

Kingdom Hearts II
KINGDOM%20HEARTS%20II%20Final%20Mix.png

KH2 is one of the few games where your character actually becomes as powerful as they appear in cutscenes. At the start of the game, Sora controls like a kid running around with a giant key, but by the end of the game you move and control in a much more etherial way. The dialog is cheesy, sure, and there are some parts of the game that really could've been left out, but overall KH2 still stands out as an irreplaceable experience.

NieR: Automata

Parasite Eve
Parasite%20Eve%20[Disc1of2]%20[U]%20[SLUS-00662]-front.jpg

Parasite Eve is so weird. Square's answer to Resident Evil combines RPG elements with gunplay and horror in what may be one of the most unique games ever. The game looks and feel gritty, and the real setting really drives home the impact of the story and what is happening.

Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
pokemon-soulsilver-box.png

The remake of the best Pokemon games really stands out. The only game with 16 badges to earn, and two continents to cross adds all of the Pokemon from the first four generations. It has a day/night cycle, weekly events, online trading (RIP), and other features, some of which never returned until much later in the series.

The World Ends With You
116172-the-world-ends-with-you-nintendo-ds-front-cover.jpg

By all rights, this game should suck. You play as a moody teenager in modern Japan, who refuses to interact with other people even when his life depends on it. Your weapons and armor are just clothing accessories and their strength depend on the fashion trends of which area you're in, which changes as you enter different regions. The combat requires you to control two characters at once on two different screens with two different control styles.

Yet, this game ends up being much more than the sum of its parts. The characters and plot are likable, the OST may be one of the best of all time, and the graffiti aesthetic is really endearing. This game is the shining example of the underrated DS cult classic, and it's clear why.

--VOTE INFO START—

Chrono Trigger

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Chrono Cross
EarthBound
Final Fantasy VI
Kingdom Hearts II
NieR: Automata
Parasite Eve
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
The World Ends With You

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (GBC)
Pokemon Red/Blue
Phantasy Star IV
Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy VII
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Radiant Historia
Super Mario RPG

--VOTE INFO END--

Last edited:

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Highlight:
Pokemon Red & Blue
banner-pokemon-red-blue-e1474254624801.jpg

It's one of the top franchises in the world. It's spawned countless sequels, spinoffs, movies and shows. These are the games that started it all. The games that, according to my mother, taught me how to read when I was like 3. The journey, the team building, getting stronger, collecting more Pokemon I hadn't seen before, this WAS 'baby's first RPG' and it holds a very special place in my heart because of that.

Persona 4 & Persona 5

hqdefault.jpg

I couldn't decide between these two, so why not both? The music is fantastic, the stories are interesting and the characters are meaningful. This goes back to being a kid with Pokemon and building a team of monsters, except add combining them and regular party members like any other RPG, and it makes for a very fun romp. I enjoyed 4's story more, but was more fond of 5's characters. 5's music and visuals are also out of this world.

God of War (2018)

god-of-war-article-banner.jpg

I had to really think about putting this on the list. I always visualize this as an action game, not an RPG. But after thinking about it some, the RPG elements with buying skills, upgrading armor and weapons, it does enough to be in the category. Which puts it near the top because it's one of the greatest games I've ever played. The combat is fantastic, the story is great, they turned meathead angry Kratos into a character you actually care about.

Fallout 3

fallout3_Banner-817x320.jpg

I've bought this game roughly 7 times. I don't think I need to say much else.

10575adbf0aab01c79a8da9e8424432d.jpg

This was the first game I put 100 hours into. I was totally sucked into it's world, all the little stories spread throughout it, and the ability to actually just end up good at everything. Then add when I built a PC and started modding... Phew.

Kingdom Hearts II

kh2_banner.jpg

The best entry in this series. I love them all, and wish II had more platforming like the first game, but II's combat blows the rest away and seeing the characters growing up and the journey/mission growing was awesome.

Bloodborne

BloodborneCover-1080x350.jpg

I was debating this or Dark Souls, and quickly realized it wasn't even close. The combat in this game might be the best I've ever played, the punishment is real for making mistakes, and the world sucks you in big time. Plus, who would have ever thought that Victorian design based around hunting monsters would turn into Lovecraft?

Final Fantasy VII

ff720.jpg

I played this game way late, when I was in high school. One summer, I bought it on PS3 and spent a large amount of my free time cooped in my basement. I always knew it was good but never realized I would care for it like I do now. The game is very typical per today's standards, but like a lot of my list, it comes down to the world. Visiting all the towns, meeting the people, and seeing how the story tied into all of them was awesome.

Mass Effect 2

MassEffect2Banner.jpg

THE CHARACTERS. I would not shut up about Mass Effect for months after I played this game. This is the WRPG equivalent of Persona when it comes to the characters for me. All of their stories (except Jacob's) were interesting and fun to follow, and they made you care about them.

--VOTE INFO START—

Pokemon Red & Blue

Persona 4
Persona 5
God of War (2018)
Fallout 3
Kingdom Hearts II
Bloodborne
Final Fantasy VII
Mass Effect 2

Dark Souls
Pokemon Gold & Silver
Pokemon Emerald
Fallout: New Vegas
The Witcher 3
Fable
Fable II
Mass Effect 3
Horizon Zero Dawn
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

--VOTE INFO END--

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
HIGHLIGHT VOTE: Deus Ex: Human
Revolution

header.jpg

The Metal Gear series has always been my favorite series of video games. I loved the story, gameplay, and characters, more than any other series. Then I saw the previews and trailers for the new Deus Ex games! Human Revolution was imo the perfect blend of charcters and story from the Metal Gear games mixed with the gameplay and systems from some of the best Western RPGs in the past. Yeah the Boss battles were terrible, but the package as a whole was perfect for the time. If only you could play the game with Mankind Divided's controls...

FULL POINT VOTES:

Persona 3 FES

persona3fes.jpg

The 3D Persona games are some of the best JRPGs imo, but Persona 3 holds a very special place in my heart. The cast of characters and setting alone puts this Persona title well above the rest.

Final Fantasy XV (Royal Edition)

header.jpg

Ive always wanted an Action RPG FF game, and XV really delivered in that respect. Yeah the game takes a nose dive after the first half, but everything before it was enough to put it on the top of my list. Still havent finished my second playthrough with the Royal Edition, but from what I can tell, it got even better. I could spend hours just running around in the open world doing hunts, side quests, or just exploring.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

header.jpg

Human Revolution was my Highlight vote, and Mankind Divided deserves to be in the Full Point section of my list. The only thing holding MD back was its smaller scope and unfinished storyline. Had Square Enix allowed the developers to create the game they wanted, this would have easily been my Highlighted vote. The graphical update, better control, and much better "Boss battles" definitely puts this in my Full Point list!

Xenoblade Chronicles X

xeniobladechriniclesx.jpg

Aside from the lackluster overall story, Xenoblade X is by far my favorite in the series. This game would have been perfect for my younger self if it had come out when I was obsessed with Gundam anime lol. The open world setting, combined with the pilotable mechs was a match made in anime heaven! Wish I could play this game again on the Switch since I sold my Wii U :(

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

32968413390_148669af59.jpg

What else needs to be said about this game lol. It was the perfect Zelda game for me, that took everything I loved about games like Skyrim. I sunk so much time into this game and cant wait to do it again sometime soon.

The rest of my Full Point list, in no specific order:

Nier Automata

The gameplay and unique story sold me on this game after the first few trailers.

Final Fantasy VII

Like Zelda: Breath of the Wild, what else needs to be said about this one!? My first JRPGs was Final Fantasy Legends and Pokemon Blue version, but it wasnt until I saw FFVII that I fell in love with the genre. They nailed every aspect about the game. It still to this day has one of the best worlds in any game ive played.

The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

Loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but I never spent nearly as much time as I did in those 2 compared to Skyrim. There was always something new you could discover.

Breath of Fire IV

This game blew my mind when I first played it. Just the art style and awesome characters alone were enough to love this game.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

The one thing X was missing for me was an epic story, which Chronicles 2 nails. If Chronicles 2 had the same open world design and Mechs from X, it would have easily made my #1 pick. Really looking forward to what Monolith does next!

My Honorable Mentions list, also in no specific order. This list is made up of titles that either I havent been able to completely finish, or just didnt feel like they made the cut for my list of essential RPGs:

Yakuza 0
XCOM Enemy Unknown
Desinty
Dark Souls
Witcher 3
Fallout New Vegas
Mass Effect 2
SMT 3 Nocturne
Persona 4
Battle Chasers Nightwar

Please let me know if I need to fix anything in my post.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Persona 3 FES
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Final Fantasy XV
Nier Automata
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Final Fantasy VII
The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Breath of Fire IV
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Yakuza 0
XCOM Enemy Unknown
Destiny
Dark Souls
The Witcher 3
Mass Effect 2
SMT 3 Nocturne
Persona 4
Battle Chasers Nightwar

--VOTE INFO END--

Last edited:

DiableJambe11

Jun 1, 2018
--VOTE INFO START—

Bloodborne

Persona 5
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
God of War 2018
Kingdom Hearts
Horizon Zero Dawn
Kingdom Hearts 2
Witcher 3

Fallout 3
Final Fantasy IX
Nier Automata
Ni No Kuni
Diablo 3
Pokémon Gold/Silver

--VOTE INFO END--

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super excited for this! It quickly became my favorite thread after learning about it and participating at the old site. Initially I wanted to be one of the first to contribute, but work's been exhausting lately and I want to think my picks carefully and not just post the same as last time (maybe it'll end up identical tho, no promises).

Reading the OP, I might have missed something, but am I right in thinking new games aren't discouraged? If so I might wait for Octopath, hmm...

Anyway, guys, try to back up your choices, the joy in this thread is finding new stuff to play or see different takes on stuff you've already played by reading others' write ups after all. Some of the most insightful opinions I've found on favorites of mine were found on these threads (I adore FiveSide's take on Nocturne, for example).

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Time with old favorites isn't wasted :).
Haha I know, and repeat playthroughs have their own charm as well since you can better appreciate foreshadowing and other details you didn't notice the first time through. I've legitimately done 180 on games I initially didn't think much of after replaying them (for the better), including some titles on my essentials list. On the other hand you get less time to expand your horizons and discover new favorites, something which became painfully obvious as I wrote my list and noticed it's the exact same one as before except for an honorable mention. It's probably a sign that I should play those big hitters/classics in my backlog sooner rather than later :P

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Trails in the Sky (Highlight vote)

The whole series has been nothing but amazing. So if you're gotta start somewhere then FC is the way to go about that. Cold Steel is also acceptable, but you're gonna miss out on some major references.

Featuring a ton of supporting characters and talking to every NPC you meet in towns several times in a chapters has become my jam. Estelle is not only a girl with a large stick, she's also one of the greatest protagonists in rpgs ever. Seeing her grow throughout the games is such an outstanding piece of character development.

Also you can finally see where that handsome guy in my avatar is from, so that's a plus.

EarthBound

The roll back mechanic still deserves appreciation after all these years and the music is something else. I still cry on the ending credits.

Earthbound is a very wholesome experience that makes me fuzzy inside. Its quirky and just a lot of fun to play from start to finish. I recommend it to everyone that needs a warm hug every now and then.

Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade

First Fire Emblem game to make it to the west and it was my gateway to the franchise. I still play the game from time to time, dropping in and out, it's just as good as the first few playthroughs.

The story supports the gameplay and the gameplay being good makes me want to continue on with the story.

Blazing Blade is still a good starting point for Fire Emblem, although Awakening has made an excellent jumping poiint as well.

Pokémon Red/Blue

Growing up playing pokemon for the first time and everyone getting into the madness is still one of weirdest things to see. I was reminded of it again when Go launched.

So yeah the first generation holds a special place in my memories and it made me a fan for life. It's good to remind ourselves where it started and how much the formula improved over the years.

Demon's Souls

The world of Boletaria is just easily one of my favorite ones to walk through. I love the fact that you're thrown in the world and get told almost nothing. It's one of those games where you gotta accept that dying is okay, as long as you keep trying you'll make it and it would be because of your own skill.

The locations in Demon's Souls are also really neat. Valley of Defilement is probably the sickest and most horrible dank place to go through, but that's the charm it has it going for. None of the swamps in other soul games came even close to how unsettling this area was as a whole.

Demon's Souls was the start of a new generation and showed that there's a crowd for games that embrace overcoming challenges.

The true Demon's Souls starts here.

Paper Mario

When it was still a rpg, the series explored the more bizarre worlds that spawn from the Mario series in a button timed turnbased papercoat.

Xanadu Next

Falcom's finest game doesn't look like hot stuff, but the gameplay loop is so satisfying. More people deserve to play it and I'll not rest shilling to everybody till it makes the list one day!

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

Lacrimosa of Dana has become my favorite Ys game and I played through all of the modern releases. Exploration and tight boss design is what I came for, but what made me stay is how the story keeps evolving. The added content is very appreciated and has some of the best boss encounters in the entire game.

NieR Automata

Automata is a game that keeps managing to surprise me with its audiovisuals, story and gameplay. Honestly if you just play this game for 2B's ass that's entirely valid, but it's also an excellent game that delves into what it means to be(come) human.

Yakuza 0

For me it has all the strappings of a rpg and the game is just that amazing not to add. Filled with all these crazy yakuza members fighting over some silly shit and how it keeps escalating just fills me with a weird sense of joy. Zero surprised me with how great a character Majima actually is and how he expresses the whole range of emotions over the course of a game. He really steals the spotlight from Kiryu-chan.

I remember the exact moment the game grabbed me and it was just after getting Kiryu witnessing a move and going that's rad. The sidequests were also great, referencing back to some stuff from the 80's and also just weird things like how to train a dominatrix or beating kids at pocket car circuit.

Of course the best mini gami is managing the cabaret club. Don't judge.

Honorable Mentions

Child of Light

It's rare when ubisoft actually makes a full-fledged rpg and it being good. This is one gorgeous fairy tale with melancholia as one of its major themes, highly recommended.

Digimon World

World finds its roots in V-pets, a tamagotchi like gadget where one raises monsters by caring for it and make it go battle other monsters so your virtual pet can evolve to the next stage.

Battles occur in real time, where the main protag can give instructions to the digimon. Another aspect is recruiting monsters to town so they expand functionalities and help you out in the long run.

One thing that sets it out from most monster games, your cute monsters die and get reborn anew as an egg.

I never finished World as it's hard as balls, but it's too special not to mention.

What it lacked in presentation, it made up with gameplay and story. Dawn breaks is one of my favorite chapters in the games.

Pandora's Tower

While the action is a large part of the game, going through dungeons and fighting big bosses, the romance between Aeron and Elena is central. It made me care enough to change my gameplan and go for the bittersweet ending.

Persona 5

While it's not without its flaws, persona 5 manages to make a stylish comeback story. Gameplay has been polished to hell and plenty of demons have come to join the party.

Shin Megami Tensei IV

This perfectly encapsulates how I feel about the game:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

When you end up with something better than you hoped for, TMS is entertainment from start to finish.

Valkyrie Profile

Let it be ingraved upon your soul! The turn cost combat in this game is just so satisfying, while exploring all there is to the game.

Xenoblade Chronicles

Probably would have quit gaming if it wasn't for this game. The moment Gaur Plains rocks was when I was completely sold on the game. Exploration of the fields was an absolute joy.

Ys I & II Chronicles

It's interesting how well it holds up despite it having some of the worst bosses in the series. Bumpsystem yay.

--VOTE INFO START—

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

EarthBound
Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
Pokémon Red/Blue
Demon's Souls
Paper Mario
Xanadu Next
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
NieR Automata
Yakuza 0

Child of Light
Digimon World
Pandora's Tower
Persona 5
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Valkyrie Profile
Xenoblade Chronicles
Ys I & II Chronicles

--VOTE INFO END--

Last edited:

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
*I will highlight some of my vote when I have some time.

--VOTE INFO START—

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy VI
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Dark Savior
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Fire Emblem Awakening

Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy VIII
Secret Of Mana
Lunar: Silver Star Story
Mass Effect 2
Pokemon Red
Undertale
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest IV
Phantasy Star IV

--VOTE INFO END--

TokyoSlim

Oct 27, 2017
DragonAge-Banner.jpg

1: Dragon Age Origins is a game that I remember it took me a minute to get into. I thought the controls were a little janky and the character models weren't the cleanest or most attractive I'd seen... but I have replayed it from start to finish probably 5 times since. The world and lore in Dragon Age is really what hooked me, I think. This is a world in which racism, classism, religion, and xenophobia co-exist in the same space as demons, pirates, spies, mages, witches, dragons, knights, bards, and etc. It was fascinating to me. I started my first playthrough as the typical "forest" kind of high fantasy elf, then played through as a human noble, then as a Dwarf, etc. Each play through gave me a slightly different perspective on the world, even though the quests and such were basically the same. The latter games didn't necessarily live up to the same level of immersion for me - but I will always enjoy spending time in Thedas again.

Main Theme

chronotrigger_banner.png

2: Chrono Trigger. I mean, It's so beloved and expounded upon that I doubt I could say anything now that hasn't been said a million times before. I did, however find my first SNES copy of Chrono Trigger laying near the dumpster of the apartment complex I lived in growing up. I had no idea what It was, or if it would work - and I didn't have an SNES to test it on either. But I grabbed it and took it to a friend's house who had an SNES. I think I stayed over for a week just playing through it.

Corridors of Time (vocal acapella cover)

yakuza-0-banner-01.png

3: Yakuza 0, you say? An RPG? YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT. One of the greatest games of this Gen so far to me. It's a mix of 3d beat-em-up, dramatic action-adventure, absurdist comedy, puzzle, nightclub manager strategy, Karaoke rhythm simulator, Casino gambling sim, fishing game, batting cage sim, SEGA classic arcade machine, real estate management, level up and unlock your abilities/fighting styles/skills RPG with epic boss-fights and a great score. It's $20 USD right now, and if you haven't played it yet, why not?

Yakuza 0 - Pledge of Demon (Kuze's theme)

FinalFantasy-IX-Banner.jpg

4: While I love some other Final Fantasy games, IX is, and probably always will be my favorite. Steampunk fantasy, the character design, the emotional stories, the battle system... it all clicked for me in this title. Yes, compared to modern RPG's the battle system is slower than we've become accustomed to. I don't care. The very end boss is also kinda lame. I also don't care. The overall journey and stories are worth the minor gripes. Vivi is my favorite RPG party member of all time.

Vamo Alla Flamenco from the Distant Worlds collection

mass-effect-2-banner1.jpg

5: No game to me captures the "assemble your squad for a probable suicide mission" vibe better than ME2. A real Seven Samurai/Magnificent 7 kind of vibe to me. Everybody who says Garrus is best boy is wrong, however. Thane Krios is, and always will be best boy forever. I will accept Garrus as alternate best boy in ME1 and ME3, where Thane is not an available team member however.

Mass Effect 2 Galaxy Map theme (extended)

6: Final Fantasy VII was my first Final Fantasy game. Visually, the difference between VII and VIII is shocking though. Character models are just... bad? Backgrounds and environments are mixed. Looking forward greatly to the remake.

7: Legend of Legaia is an RPG with battle mechanics that are unique. You basically are playing a fighting game, assembling combos and special moves during combat. Might not hold up great though.

8: Tactics Ogre. My favorite of the strategy RPG's. More of a serious story than FFT, I only played through it once though.

9: Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Two SRPG's back to back? AHHH! A really rock solid modern RPG set in the world of Shadowrun, which is a really cool blend of cyberpunk futurism AND magic.

10: The Witcher III: The WIld Hunt. I put nearly 400 hours into this game. It's the game that finally cured me of my compulsive desire to "clear the map". It's a supremely well put together game.

--VOTE INFO START—

Dragon Age: Orgins

Chrono Trigger
Yakuza 0
Final Fantasy IX
Mass Effect 2

Final Fantasy VII
Legend of Legaia
Tactics Ogre
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
The Witcher III: The WIld Hunt

--VOTE INFO END--

Last edited:

Broscientific

Oct 27, 2017

Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy IX
Persona 5
Mass Effect 2
NieR Automata
Bloodborne
Pokemon Red/Blue
Undertale

--VOTE INFO END--

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
--VOTE INFO START—

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Mass Effect 2
Deus EX
Crusader Kings 2
Fallout New Vegas
Persona 5
The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim
Horizon Zero Dawn
Final Fantasy XII
Guild Wars 2

Persona 3
The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Deus EX: Human Revolution
The 3rd Birthday
EVE Online
Final Fantasy XV
Shadowrun Returns
Fallout 4

--VOTE INFO END--

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - This game is a freaking masterpiece. The storytelling is top notch and Characters are deep. Your just a lowly witcher trying to find your daughter and the things you come across and experience to get to her is just wonderful. And the developer is very consumer friendly.
  2. Deus EX - One of the best games to show true player freedom. The amount of choices you have to do your mission is I think still not outdone by the newer ones. The story has literally all the major conspiracies and I even love the tone dead voice acting lol
  3. Mass Effect 2 - I don't think I've replayed a game as much as this one. Just finding the different dialogue choices and different outcomes were such a joy and the final mission is epic as hell. Doing the loyalty missions is the true highlight of this game.
  4. Crusader Kings 2 - The true RPG, where you can and do literally anything (within reason) to achieve survival or domination. the choices that are presented can seem overwhelming but once gotten a hang off is insane
  5. Fallout New Vegas - I was introduced to the franchise with this game and the world building and freedom offered is unparalleled. The places you discover and the people you encounter just immerse you in the world they've built completely
I'm not good at these write-ups. Did my best

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears

Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy XII
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Eder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Illusion of Gaia

Octopath Traveler

--VOTE INFO END--

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
FINAL FANTASY VII
The best game of all time. Has been and will be forever. The remake won't trump this, I'm absolutely certain of this. Absolute perfection, from beginning to end.

Demon's Souls
This game literally saved gaming for me. I had given up on gaming as a hobby, wasn't it for Demon's.

Seiken Densetsu 3
Flawless pixel graphics, one of the best soundtracks of all time and amazing, diverse gameplay (class changes).

Final Fantasy X
Square went all-in with this one, and boy did they capture lightning. Perfection - all thanks to the story, characters, ATB-combat, sphere-grid and music.

Xenogears
The best storyline in a game. Most in-depth lore and just overall excellent.

Lufia 2
Brilliant puzzle design and excellent gameplay.

Mass Effect 2
My first Mass Effect game. One of the best experiences of my life, thanks to the interesting characters (Tali ♥) and the diverse world.

Breath of Fire III
Underrated - but this game is exactly what I want from most RPGs. Cozy and fun.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Oh boy, the one true Elder Scrolls game. Good luck on this journey; your hand won't be held during it compared to IV and V.

Chrono Trigger
Carries its weight because of the fantastic soundtrack and the near-flawless pixel art graphics.

--VOTE INFO START—

FINAL FANTASY VII

Demon's Souls
Seiken Densetsu 3
Final Fantasy X
Xenogears
Lufia 2
Mass Effect 2
Breath of Fire III
Chrono Trigger

Oct 25, 2017
HIGHLIGHT/#1 GAME -

Fallout: New Vegas:
RPGs are a tricky genre for me. I enjoy lots of games with RPG elements, and I love a fun or stirring narrative, but most pure RPGs don't give that to me. Sometimes, I'm not even sure what constitutes an RPG. Therefore, I've put the stuff I'm questionable about in honorable mentions so that my top ten stays pure, fresh, and clean.

I do know one thing, though: Fallout: New Vegas is the greatest game of all time. It's got one of the best narratives ever, particularly within the DLC, which is a meditation on letting go, on the futility of struggling against time and accepting that one can only decide their future and not their past. The quests throughout the game are multi-tiered, for the most part, and offer numerous options for completion, including a number of non-violent options. It's the perfect RPG. It's not the perfect game, mind you, as it is bug-riddled, but it is the perfect RPG, and it deserves more love than it gets outside of enthusiast message boards.

OTHER FULL POINT GAME BLURBS:

Alpha Protocol is another Obsidian-developed broken mess, but it also is another game where that doesn't matter because the RPG is so brilliantly designed, full of options that the player might take to mold the character to their desires. Most RPGs just don't do this very well, I don't think, but Alpha Protocol goes beyond its "three JBs" dialog options to let you manipulate characters with different personalities to your desires, or, if you prefer, to be a hardass (Bourne)/pervy (Bond) /nutbar (Bauer) spy if that character is what suits you. Further, for all the work that devs like Telltale or Night School or Dontnod have done to make conversation interesting, only Obsidian really nailed it, and this game is the proof that they knew how to make you feel as though you were actually manipulating (or merely having) a conversation to your ends organically.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords are both fantastic games. Again, Obsidian shows up here. They tend to make games that actually have something interesting to say, which most games do not do very often or very well in my opinion. Of course, Bioware started this with what was my first WRPG, the one that made me go back and play all the isometric CRPGs that led up to it. I don't like most of those isometric CRPGs, but KotOR is still great. There are lots of fun little quests strewn throughout and a sense of scale that matches the game's consistent message that there is a whole lot at stake for the galaxy. KotOR 2 is more downbeat, confined to barren planets and back alleyways of populated planets, and it actually works nicely as a critique of the light/dark binary that is such a Star Wars staple. These are the only two pieces of Star Wars media that I have EVER actually really liked or cared about (I'm fine with a couple of the movies, but I don't feel deeply about them the way that many others do). They execute stories in that Star Wars universe so well.

I'm taking a risk on putting Pyre here, but it definitely has RPG elements. It's the best RPG/sports hybrid by far (sorry, all those Mario Tennis games on GBA). I'm usually not one for fantasy, but I do enjoy learning about the dystopian leadership of this world and meeting these different characters who come together for the purpose of returning to the Commonwealth. I also like that it forces the player to consider taking a loss to let other people have the chance to return to the Commonwealth. Plus, Pyreball itself is a really good, well-designed arcade sports game.

Costume Quest is on the short list for "funniest games of all-time." It's a yearly tradition for me to play it, and yet it somehow slipped my mind the first time around. Anyway, the kids are genuinely funny, the story is pretty enjoyable, and the transformations that the kids undergo in their cardboard-and-wrapping-paper suits when they enter battle never get old. It's not a hard game. It's not a complex game. It is a game that captures the magic of Halloween, and as a certified Halloween hater, I kinda get why people like the holiday after this game.

Super Mario RPG is a lovely little game. It's simple, it's fun, it has a lot of dope one-off characters whom I miss (Mallow, Geno, Bowyer, Johnathan Jones, the Axem Rangers), and even though the turn-based combat is pretty boring, exploring the Mushroom Kingdom is fun; it's a nice place to spend some time, a place that seems like it would be fun (and slightly terrifying) to visit.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is my favorite SRPG. I could probably repeat quite a lot of what I earlier said about SMRPG, but I do think that completing some of the battle maps on PERFECT can present a bit of a challenge. The flaws in some of the extra battles are evident (like needing some luck to beat three or four of them even if you do everything "right"), but since RNG is a big part of some SRPGs, I'm used to that. Plus, this game gave us Rabbid Peach. The Rabbids generally suck, but Rabbid Peach is the best.

Gladius is my next-favorite SRPG, partly because it's got local co-op (it's a GREAT OG Xbox local multiplayer game, which that console actually has a wealth of), partly because rather than going for high fantasy, the game takes place in a setting based on actual history, and partly because it's a pretty great SRPG with lots of options in movement, attack, and how one equips their characters.

Parasite Eve is a game that I recently revisited on my Vita, and while it slips down this list from where I might have otherwise put it (too grindy when it comes to gathering junk or other items, low storage space for items), the game itself makes battle interesting by giving you space to move around and pick your shots or avoid attacks, and the weapon modding system is actually quite interesting as well. The scenes of animals' mitochondria causing mutations are still pretty awesome in 2018, too!
--VOTE INFO START—

Alpha Protocol
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Pyre
Costume Quest
Super Mario RPG
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Gladius
Parasite Eve

X-COM: Enemy Unknown
South Park: The Fractured But Whole
Jeanne d'Arc
Fallout 2
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Shining Force
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Letter Quest Remastered
Yakuza 0
Fallout 3

--VOTE INFO END—

Last edited:

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
--VOTE INFO START—

Deus ex: human revolution

Pokèmon gold/silver
Chrono trigger
Tales of Phantasia
Fallout New Vegas
Dragon age:origins
Shin Megami tensei: devil survivor
Dark souls
Fire emblem (2003 gba)
The witcher 3

The world ends with you
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Deus ex: mankind divided
Advance wars
Valkyria Chronicles
Disgaea
Borderlands
Legend of Zelda BOTW
Legend of Zelda OOT
Legend of Zelda : majora's mask

--VOTE INFO END--

Deus ex HR: great game all around..great atmosphere, decent story, great freedom to tackle obstacles like you want to..i hate stealth and it manage to make it play stealth.

pkmn gold/silver: the series never reached this sheer amount of stuff to do ever..as a kid it was simply baffling, but i still think this is how pokèmon is meant to be played,day and night cicle,all pkmn available, etc.

Chrono trigger, the big daddy of SNES JRPG. Incredible amount of content and tons of different endings..even if most of them are mostly easter eggs.

tales of phantasia: the conbat system was incredible for the time and remains incredibly fun to this day. Also the progression system that made you master some moves and then fuse them together was really addciting.

fallout: new vegas: put this over fallout 3 mainly for the survivor mode that adds an entire new dimension to the game and chaanges how you play it a lot. Also immense freedom.

Dragon age origins: the world is kind of forgettable and the game is clearly intended to be played on a PC, but the combat system is so much fun and the freedom of choice is pretty sweet.

Shin megami tensei: the gameplay mechanics are a mix between startegy game and the usual shin megami tensei stuff, , and i adore d every second of it..but what imrpessed me the most is the story..even though according to the internet i'm like the only one that particularly liked it. Sadly the sequel turned into an evangelion clone.

dark souls: no need for presentations i think..the champion of "treating gamers like adults",and the gameplay was addciting as hell once you get into the "loop".Only problem is a little too much obtuseness that bascially forces you to go online to get the most out of the game at first try.

fire emblem GBA: my first fire emblem and still the best..best characters, best story and no anime waifus

the witcher3: this one too doesn't need introduction...some gameplay decisions were a bit baffling but most of them were ironed out with patches..but some are still there..it's still a game that it's best than the su of its parts

honorable mentions: world ends with you has a really cool combat system, super mario rpg has a great mix of ,well,mario and rpg that surprised me a lot as a kid,deus ex mankind divided is a great sequel to human revolution but the story is a bit of a problem even if the gameplay is refined, advance wars was a great serie of startegy/rpg games..dunno if I would consider it an rpg, but peoplewere voting ff tactics and xcom...same goes for disgaea and valkiria chronicles, really good startegy games with just a sprinkle of rpg in them....for borderlands i have no excuses really..i was just addicted to the loot system..strangely enough despite the fct that the sequel is better in every way i didn't enjoy it as much...probably just franchise fatigue....the 3 zeldas becasue they are all around amazing in their own right..but i don't know if i would consider them as rpg...

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
--VOTE INFO START—

Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect
Baldur´s Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
Diablo
Diablo II
Chrono Trigger
Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic
Fallout 2

Dark Souls
Shining Force II
Phantasy Star IV
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Planescape Torment
Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiyajin Densetsu
Captain Tsubasa II: Super Strikers
Fallout

--VOTE INFO END--

Oct 25, 2017
HIGHLIGHT VOTE: DARK SOULS
ds-hd_game_thumb_408x314.jpg
No one on this website is a stranger to the Souls series at this point, or at least they shouldn't be. The original Dark Souls features one of the most effectively interconnected worlds I've seen in a video game, be it through locale or through the game's lore. The combat is pristine, and the world is hauntingly beautiful. I think it is a must-play, and will go down as a classic
FULL POINT GAMES

Pokemon Red/Blue
I feel as though it's an uphill battle to get these games placed highly, but I believe they're deserving. The original entries in the Pokemon series were smash hits that sparked one of the biggest franchises in the world. While it is clear that other entries, including Pokemon Gold/Silver that came out directly after this generation of games, or Pokemon Black/White, which wouldn't come out for years after this game, either refined the mechanics of the games or added more meaningful stories, Pokemon Red and Blue was the first I fell in love with, and I feel is the most important to recommend to newcomers

Persona 3
Probably the most mature of the trilogy of new Persona games, Persona 3 is, at it's heart, a game about death. It would be easy for a game like this to be unnecessarily edgy, but I feel as though the themes are well respected. Still, while the game has easily the worst dungeons and social links of the three newest entries in the series, it's the one that I think has the best, and most realistic cast of the series (And yes one of them is a robot and one is a dog)

Bloodborne
Dark Souls with cosmic horror, and a more refined combat system. Very, very good game

Persona 4
Definitely more silly compared to its predecessor, but the overall feel of mystery in Persona 4 is a fun time

Kingdom Hearts II
This game offers a truly great combat system matched with an absolutely bonkers plot. Normally this would count against it, but I think there is a certain undeniable charm behind the nonsense

Final Fantasy XII
Now keep in mind that I haven't finished Final Fantasy VI, VII, or IX, but this is by far my favorite entry of those I've played. The combat system of the game is intricate, but allows you to really take in the world that you're in. The world feels fully realized what with its largely political plot. My only real knock against the game is its fairly lackluster OST

Kingdom Hearts
Slightly worse combat, slightly less nonsense, the same charm

Fallout 3
Wow. A western game! Fallout 3 is kind of a buggy mess, but it's a buggy mess with some of the best writing I've seen in a WRPG. I adore the aesthetic, and locale. The main plotline could use some work, but the quality of side quests more than makes up for that.
--VOTE INFO START—

Dark Souls

Pokemon Red/Blue
Persona 3
Bloodborne
Persona 4
Persona 5
Kingdom Hearts II
Final Fantasy XII
Kingdom Hearts
Fallout 3

Undertale
Pokemon Gold/Silver
Dark Souls III
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Fire Emblem Awakening
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
The World Ends With You
Mass Effect 2
Dragon Quest IV
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor

Last edited:

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
I think "RPG" has become a way too broad term over the years. Some of the mentioned games in here are very different gameplay experiences to me. Skyrim, Chrono Trigger, Dark Souls, Final Fantasy Tactics, Mass Effect for example. I'm not sure how helpful such a list will be for people who don't like all those sub-genres at once.

salamedratos

Dec 21, 2017
I decided to limit my choices to one game per series. I have also left out of my list action and strategy RPGs, even if they are completely legit choices I prefer to focus this ranking in "pure" RPGs (JRPG and WRPG). Having said those rules, I would like to write some games that are better than most of my choices but didn't meet my criteria:

-Mass effect trilogy

-Nier and Nier Automata

-Final Fantasy Tactics

-Kingdom hearts 2

-Bloodborne/Dark Souls

-Zelda series

-Yakuza 0

-Fire emblem

-Valkyria chronicles

Now the true list from best to "worst":

1-Final Fanstasy IX: I believe that this isn't just the best RPG of all time, but the best overall game and one of the finest works of fiction in any media imo. I wouldn't give this kind of praise just because it's "flawless" (which it is, the speed of the battle system and a certain boss at the end are the two only legit complains that I have read and I find these complains easily debatable), a lot of less ambitious games are flawless (like tetris), but because a lot of its elements are perfect. Soundtrack? One of the finest OSTs ever composed. Characters? Every single one of them is fleshed out enough (mostly), have a part in the story, motivations, charisma and depth in their character arcs. Plot? Shakespearean in the best way. Starts as a charming fairy tale and evolves into something truly complex and rich, dealing with philosophical themes along the way. Gameplay? Polished to the extreme, with each character having its own quirk and a progression system really well crafted. In conclusion, I don't think there is a single aspect of the game that could be improved and on top of that the game is really beautiful, with an artistic design that enhances the towns and the world and CGI scenes that are epic even today.

2-Trails in the sky: There are other games in this list better than trails, but I implore anyone who read this: please buy this game. This entire series is a masterpiece in storytelling, with unparalleled world building, dialogues and character writing. Sadly, we don't have official localizations for two of the presumed best games in the series (Zero no kiseki and Ao no kiseki, my most anticipated games). Maybe if we support this wonderful series and the fanbase grows, some sort of miracle will happen to the series. It's worth every miracle. By the way trails in the sky is one long game despite being separated (First Chapter and Second chapter is one game while the third is some kind of epilogue to the story).

3-Persona 5: This one is a near flawless game. Every element has been polished and the complete package is the best Persona game yet. I prefer the story of Persona 3 or the characters in 4 Golden, but here every element shines, even if some of them shine brighter in other entries. By the way the combat system is one of the best ever and the art style is truly mind blowing.

4-Mother 3: A truly unique game. I can't say anything else without giving too much away. Go into this masterpiece blind and you won't regret it. One of the most emotional experiences in my entire life.

5-Chrono Trigger: This is a classic, a masterpiece. I don't know if I prefer this one or Final Fantasy VI as the best snes RPG, but chrono trigger has a personality and charm unrivalled to this day. Fantastic soundtrack and cast of characters.

6-The Witcher 3: There are less WRPG in my list, that's not because I haven't played them or haven't given them a chance, It's because I think they are simply worse games that the ones featured here (KOTOR, Dragon Age, Planescape Torment… They are all magnificent games, deeply flawed in core elements imo, but definitely worth playing). That being said, The Witcher 3 is as good as everyone says it is (and there will be other great WRPGs in my list), even if the combat is slightly underwhelming, it doesn't detract at all from the unforgettable experience.

7-Xenogears: I think this game has the best story ever written. That doesn't mean it's the best written story (Its storytelling is flawed compared to the best books or even other games) but the best plot ever told. It's absolutely filled with epic moments, mind blowing plot twists, cathartic scenes for the characters, world building (the story spans thousands of years) and satisfying resolutions to every plot thread (Even if the infamous second disc is incomplete gameplay wise, its story is not). The other elements of the game are good, but not as great. It has a good soundtrack, a serviceable combat system and ok artistic design.

8-Panzer dragoon saga: We need a remaster of this game. I don't want to repeat myself, but everything here is top notch. The combat system is one of the most unique ever, the story is interesting and surprising, the lore is rich and complex… This is one of those games where every element is surprisingly polished, with no real flaws at plain sight.

9-Baldur's gate 2: Another classic. The gameplay here is the best you can find in this kind of RPG and the plot is interesting and intriguing (Planescape torment is better written without a doubt, but its plot is less imaginative and has less focus than Baldur's gate 2). The characters are pretty good, even if most of them could be more involved in the narrative, and the soundtrack is good, even if there aren't any songs that I listen to outside of the game, unlike most of the games on this list.

10-Xenoblade Chronicles 2: I had a lot of doubts in this position, because this game could be part of the "xeno" series. But I think that Xenoblade chronicles is its own series, as is Xenosaga, independent from Xenogears. I think that Xenoblade Chonicles 1 has the better story (slightly better) and an equally awesome soundtrack and world, but in the gameplay department xenoblade 2 is near flawless and the characters in 2 are a marked improvement over 1. Sure there's no Dunban in 2, or Shulk, but everyone in the cast take part in the story, in the cutscenes and develop throughout the game thanks to the relationships with other characters. That's why I gave the edge to Xenoblade 2, I think the secondary characters are more involved with the plot and give more emotional resonance to the game.

About the Honorable Mentions. Some of them could have been in the main list (Suikoden 2, The world ends with you, Morrowind or Skies of Arcadia could have taken Xenoblade 2 or Baldur's gate 2's spots, but I wanted to give the spotlight to the latter games) but when you choose just 20 titles they are more or less equal in quality.

--VOTE INFO START—

Final Fantasy 9

Trails in the sky FC
Persona 5
Mother 3
Chrono Trigger
The Witcher 3
Xenogears
Panzer dragoon saga
Baldur's gate 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Suikoden 2
The world ends with you
The elder scrolls III: Morrowind
Skies of Arcadia
Radiant historia
Divinity Original Sin 2
Xenosaga 3
Pokemon Soul Silver
Tales of Vesperia
Fallout New Vegas

--VOTE INFO END--

Last edited:

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
--VOTE INFO START—

Bloodborne

Demon's Souls
Dark Souls 3
Final Fantasy 6
Persona 3: FES
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 11
Earthbound
Final Fantasy 8

Final Fantasy 12
Darkest Dungeon
Diablo 3
Nioh
The Witcher 2
Dragon's Dogma
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG
Persona 4
Persona 5

--VOTE INFO END--

babuchy

The Fallen
Nov 3, 2017
--VOTE INFO START—

Baldur's Gate 2

Neverwinter Nights
Dark Souls
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Knights of the Old Republic 2
The Witcher 3
Dark Souls 3
Fallout 4
Might & Magic VI

Demon's Souls
Fallout 3
Knights of the Old Republic
Dark Souls 2
Neverwinter Nights 2
The Witcher 2
Mass Effect
The Witcher
Icewind Dale

--VOTE INFO END--

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
--VOTE INFO START—

Baldur's Gate II

The Witcher 3
Pillars of Eternity
Undertale
Demon's Souls
Bloodborne
Fallout 2
Final Fantasy VII
The Witcher 2
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate

Anachronox
Diablo II
Path of Exile
Dark Souls
Deus Ex
Darklands
Mount & Blade: Warband
Persona 4
Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time
LISA

--VOTE INFO END--
I chose BG2 because, honestly, it's unparalleled in terms of pacing and world building for me. I have never played an RPG so organic and full of discovery like this one. Unfortunately, most games that tried to mimic it try to mimic the wrong things instead of what made me love it.

The Witcher 3 is like a close second. Just like with BG2, I was always expecting something and wanting to explore the world. There are very few RPGs that do that. Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment and Demon's Souls evoke that experience as well.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
--VOTE INFO START—

Etrian Odyssey V

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City
Chrono Trigger
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Mother 3
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Bloodborne
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix

Nier Automata
Persona 5
Earthbound
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Dragon Quest V
Persona 3 Portable
Etrian Odyssey IV

--VOTE INFO END--

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also really curious to see what they do next, after Etrian Odyssey X.

My personal hope is that they have the same team make a spiritual successor series of sorts. Call it Etrian _____, or maybe _____ Odyssey, but not exactly Etrian Odyssey VI. Keep it a dungeon crawler with a job system and turn-based battles, but otherwise take the opportunity to do something a little different, and mix up the mechanics a bit. As for map making, while it is really fun, I do understand if they have to leave it behind. We already have so many Etrian Odyssey games, so I think it's okay to move on now.

I agree, as someone that considered the EO games to be some of the best ever, I'd sacrifice the mapping(which can still be done anyways) if we get to keep the amazing gameplay, art, music, dungeon design, and settings.

EO must live on, also the idea of playing them on Switch on the big screen sounds like a dream.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I'mma just going to repaste mine because nothing's changed.

Kg8AVoh.jpg

Nier Automata

Much has been said about Nier Automata - its beautifully told existentialist story, its exploration of humanity beyond the standard "what is humanity" trope, gorgeous music, lacklustre combat, etc. etc., but one thing that makes the game absolutely stand out in my mind is the way it integrates gameplay and even UI elements in a way that justifies its world. How things from the UI to the checkpoint system justifies itself within the world. Then you get to the breathtaking way hacking transforms from a simple minigame to a central narrative device. One of the boldest and melancholic game I've played in awhile.

kgCitYn.jpg

Persona 3 Portable

Persona 3 is my favourite Persona in a lot of ways - music, story & social links are still unmatched for me - but I picked Portable because of the way it injects a female perspective that is so rarely seen. Even games with female protagonists are usually written in the male perspective, and it's nice to see a relatively big franchise to allow me to do something as simple as dating guys.

Shinji <3

8Iw7uwi.jpg

Dark Souls

There are a couple of aspects of Demon's Souls that I like more, such as better bosses, and honestly better level design overall, but the cohesiveness of the world, world design and environmental storytelling in Dark Souls is still unmatched to me for games in general, not just the souls series.

zJesGOz.jpg

Undertale

Love any game that rewards you for not actually fighting enemies, and aside from the fun quirky NPCs, excellent music and touching story, what really elevates the game to me is the metanarrative that was powerful enough to make me not want to fully explore it.

fTa6lfx.jpg

Ar Tonelico 2

Music is a big part of life for me, so why not a JRPG that incorporates music the most? The characters and story is a little generic, but I love this world based around songs and songtresses and a battle system that cleverly uses rhythm systems for a fusion I wish RPGs explored more.

gamhMkE.jpg

Fallout New Vegas

Loved Fallout 3 as a fan of Bethesda open worlds, but New Vegas manages to marry in the narrative prowess of obsidian where bethesda lacks to create my favourite of Bethesda style open world games.

ofJfbaL.jpg

Atelier Totori

Slice of life games are so rare in gaming where the focus is to constantly push a narrative where you have to save the world or whatever, so it's a delight to play a game that's just mostly about a girl wanting to live her daily life learning to be an alchemist. The management aspects keeps things going, the crafting system is freeform enough that it's fun to experiment with different recipes to optimise it, and the slice of life segments that comes up depending on what you do seals the slice of life aspect so well.

jjFENyV.jpg

Valkyria Chronicles

Scoring system that was ludicrously easy to break aside, VC is still to me one of the most beautiful graphical styles conceived for a game, and they managed to infuse a lot of personality into each unit that actually affected how they would play and act on the battlefield.

PRnwyc5.jpg

Morrowind

The first Bethesda game to really nail the future Bethesda formula is also still my favourite one. The combat is janky as all hell, and well, everything is just janky in general, but the world is just so fascinating and fucking weird that it's a joy to explore unlike the more generic fantasy worlds of Oblivion and Skyrim.

0O43p9l.jpg

Etrian Odyssey 4

Just the best DRPG out there. The 3DS is such a natural fit for the genre, making map making actually fun, and the series is still top of the class for me when it comes to combat and class systems, and the multitude of ways you can form your party based on different interactions.

Nier automata

Persona 3 Portable
Fallout New Vegas
Dark Souls
Undertale
Ar Tonelico 2
Atelier Totori
Morrowind
Etrian Odyssey 4

--VOTE INFO END--

Last edited:

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Highlight Vote: Suikoden 2

suikoden-2-banner.png

SpJsj0.gif

37-PSOGL347.jpg

I'll preface by saying I haven't played any other game in the series other than the first two entries, but Suikoden 2 in particular stands out for me personally. Building on the foundation of the first game, there is a heavy emphasis on player autonomy in the way you develop your kingdom, and your ability to interact with well over a hundred characters each that are each wholly unique.

Many come to the RPG genre expecting long branching storylines with multiple different endings, while I'd argue a majority of classic Japanese RPGs are much more linear in this regard. Suikoden 2 is unique in that it manages to distinguish itself from the rest of its class by giving the player autonomy despite this overall linearity. Who you choose to recruit to your kingdom, which specific relationships you choose to pursue or avoid, the way the story develops will be unique to each player. While most do not affect the overarching story in a significant manner, they generally stand out as satisfying self contained plots and don't feel any bit superficial. Each character isn't just a name and a face either, they have unique backstories, quirks, abilities, etc. Some are not even capable in their fighting prowess and choose to help you via other means. All for the sake of building up your kingdom, which will often require more than mere firepower. And throughout the game (especially at the end) you can see the repercussion of your actions as not one of the 108 characters is left ignored, which speaks volumes to how well crafted the story of this three decade old game manages to keep up with the best of contemporary titles.

This is all without getting into the nitty gritty such as how deep the core turned based battle system is. Characters can attack together or combine various attacks based on their stats and abilities. There also is a degree of customization with the deep rune system and which abilities a character can or cannot obtain. About a fourth of the game isn't even the usual turned based battles. Instead the player is placed on a grid based stage and the game is played as a Strategy RPG instead of the usual turned based procedure, this time appropriated with objectives that extend beyond the more simplistic "route the enemy." Then there's the load of minigames like the cook off, fishing, or participating in a dance off. And each of these styles of play whether it be the main battle system, strategy encounters, or minigames, each feels fully established and worthwhile, so no piece is compromised for the whole.

I only played this game within the past five years or so and still loved it, which I think really speaks to the game's credit. This is the absolute briefest summary of all this game has to offer.

Will probably return to give explanations on the list of full points at least, but I really wanted to put emphasis on my highlight vote.

--VOTE INFO START—

Suikoden 2

Persona 4
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest IV
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy IX
Breath of Fire 2
Xenogears
Pokemon Crystal
Fire Emblem Blazing Blade
Odin Sphere

Kingdom Hearts 2
Fire Emblem Awakening
Tales of Vesperia
Grandia 2
Final Fantasy XV
Radiant Historia
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Valkyria Chronicles

--VOTE INFO END--

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
HIGHLIGHT VOTE
IFwQqNs.png

Final Fantasy IV
I see people everyday playing a Final Fantasy game for the first time. Final Fantasy is the foundation of the JRPG genre. But a common question among those who are new to Final Fantasy, or have never played a Final Fantasy, is "Which one do I start with?". If we're talking "essential" I believe Final Fantasy IV is the one you start with. The Famicom trilogy were some schizophrenic first steps in what defined Final Fantasy, but when Final Fantasy moved up to 16 bit, everything was normalized, and elevated accordingly. The characters, the story, the music, and especially the combat. Final Fantasy IV is a game that introduced battles where combat actions happen in real time. You no longer wait your turn. You wait for your action. It means you have to think on your feet, and only the most rock solid of strategy will get you through its tougher trials. This was revolutionary at the time, and several of its future entries adapted it as the Final Fantasy standard, so starting from IV, and going all the way up to IX from there, your experience in how you tackle battles, big and small, will carry over. That's why I believe that Final Fantasy IV is "essential". Even putting aside how incredibly out there the story developments get, it is the true beginning of active battle. And a rewarding one at that. And this is evident in how many times Final Fantasy IV has been revisitied, reincarnated, and revitalized across several gaming platforms. The Game Boy Advance version is the best IMO, since you can take any party with you up to the end, despite shocking and heartbreaking developments on your adventure. Personally, I feel there is nothing like the Super Nintendo classic. Essential for Final Fantasy beginners.
---
Chrono Trigger
Two of the finest craftsmen in the gaming business (Yuji Horii, Hironobu Sakaguchi) come together to form a timeless adventure. It invented the idea of taking your completed game, and returning to it to see the roads less traveled, and unlock multiple endings. A gaming first among one of gaming's best. Essential for those who are still hungry.
Pokemon Yellow
If there's any Pokemon game to start off with, it's the one with the Pikachu on the box. You get it all here. You start with the most famous electric rodent, and along the way, encounter the 3 starters of Red/Blue lore. You can't catch 'em all here, but you can catch a heck of a lot more in comparison. Nice, essential start to the Pokemon phenomenon.
Grandia
This game is not just an RPG, it is an adventure. This RPG treats its story like a grand journey, and there are so many moments throughout that are academic in this regard. When I played this game, I really felt as though I was a kid again. It is simply a beautiful experience at its peak. Essential for those who want an adventure.
.hack//G.U. Last Recode
A quite recent remaster of a trilogy with an added epilogue to boot. This is a game so worthwhile, I didn't even play the PS2 games that came before it, and I was hooked like a fish to what is mostly the franchise's 2.0 version. It has great characters, satisfying combat with complete style and armanent shifts on a dime, and a story so grand, it took 3 games to tell it all. And it's here in this very extensive collection. Never has taking a video game seriously been so engaging. Essential for those who want to know the truth.
This is the essential Fire Emblem experience. A fine introduction to the intricate insides of Fire Emblem that is literally its own beast with the types of characters you get in your army. It does things you don't see that often in Fire Emblem, such as putting genuine fear into you by way of its own personal grim reaper, the Black Knight. Any unit it touches before its time become forfeit. Things like that know how to shake up the standard, and Fire Emblem shows it has claws every once in a while with this Gamecube classic. Essential for those who have a wild side.

--VOTE INFO START—
<HIGHLIGHT VOTE- 4 points>
Final Fantasy IV
</HIGHLIGHT VOTE- 4 points>
<FULL POINT GAMES - 2 points>
Chrono Trigger
Pokemon Yellow
Grandia
.hack//G.U. Last Recode
</FULL POINT GAMES - 2 points>
<HONORABLE MENTIONS - 1 point>
Tales of Legendia
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia
Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2
Fallout 3
</HONORABLE MENTIONS - 1 point>
--VOTE INFO END--

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'mma just going to repaste mine because nothing's changed.

Nier automata

<FULL POINT GAMES 2 points>
Persona 3 Portable
Fallout New Vegas
Dark Souls
Undertale
Ar Tonelico 2
Atelier Totori
Morrowind
Etrian Odyssey 4
Do note that the required format has changed (a bit), so you need to update this post to be counted.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
--VOTE INFO START—

Planescape Torment

Deus Ex
Dragon Age Origins
Final Fantasy 7
Mass Effect
Fallout New Vegas
Dragon Quest 8
Bloodborne
Demons Souls

Mass Effect 2
Persona 5
Fallout 3
Witcher 3
Diablo 2
Final Fantasy 10
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Paper Mario: A Thousand Year Door
Baldur's Gate

--VOTE INFO END--

FULL POINT GAMES

Planescape: Torment is unlike any game I have ever played. Despite of its technically primitive nature, Torment creates a hugely engaging and immensely creative gameworld that it is easy to get lost in in. It is also the most intelligent RPG I have ever played, going against many of the story clichés of RPGs and featuring some of the best videogame writing, period. Torment is a game that touches on a lot of deep and otherworldly themes. The game revolves around a protagonist that cannot permanently die. He loses his memory to varying extends on death and has lived many prior incarnations. You slowly unravel the previous personas the character had assumed as you play through the game. Another key premise is that the entire world is built on the foundation that believes can change the physical world. The fact that Planescape was released as a niche game to mediocre sales, featuring "too much reading" and a bizarre setting to the dismay of the average Joe/Jane consumer (and a "weird" box art to boot), in a sub-genre that, while still active today, had reached its zenith in popularity more than a decade ago, that never developed into a long-lasting franchise to keep its spirit alive in popular videogame culture, is still so fondly remembered by many of its players near 20 years after its release, speaks to the immense quality at display here. Planescape is a game that dared to do something genuinely creative and wholly different, shaping a unique experience the likes of which we will likely never see again. The unfortunate reality is that today's game makers possess not the will and skill to make a game like this anymore. It is the ultimate video game cult classic and has stuck with me almost 20 years since its release. You owe it to yourself to discover the true nature of man.

Deus Ex 1. While technically outdated, and taking a couple of missions for the story really to get going, Deus Ex is a specular game. At the time of its release it was sold under the premise of a huge amount of player choice, and indeed in that regard it delivers. But the other thing that it also brought to the table was a deeply engrossing conspiracy-riddled storyline. It really encompassed the slogan of the game: "question everything." It is mature story-telling touching on complex themes. Miraculously, it was able to anticipate many of the issues the world faced in the years after its release with 911 and other events. It also featured a gauntlet of very atmospheric locations, from New York, to Hong Kong and Paris, that completely nailed the feeling of being in a dark and dystopian future that was slowly tearing itself apart. It is recommended to play the PC version, which is vastly better than the console ports. The game has outdated graphics and some weird voice acting, but is well worth a playthrough.

Dragon Age: Origins. Some people have said that this game is somewhat generic in its setting, and this is true. But it also features a wonderful hand-crafted world that predates the infatuation with open-world and copy/paste design, a great cast of characters (both main and side characters), and a story that includes the standard "save the world" trope, but interwoven with a lot of interesting character interactions and political intrigue, held together by a high quality of writing and voice acting. It speaks to the game is that the climax of the story in many ways is not the final fight with the Darkspawn baddies, but rather when the game culminates at a "Landsmeet," a gathering of the world's leaders, with a large amount of political intrigue and major decision points. For example, it is discovered that the person who was understood to be the villain of the story is actually a complex figure. The player has to make the decision whether to kill him or let him live, with major repercussions to the endgame plot. This was when Bioware still wrote games that gave players meaningful choices. This is a game that really should receive a remaster, as the consoles were saddled with a technically inferior experience. I would play it on PC and install a mod to skip "the fade," a relatively dull section in the mid-game.

Final Fantasy 7. A common criticism against this game is that it was never as good as it was made out to be relative to its less commercially successful predecessors, primarily dazzling audiences with its technical showpieces and full-motion videos. I would counter by saying that I played this game long after its initial release, when its graphics were already extremely outdated, and still was absolutely engrossed in this game. The scenario design in this game is simply spectacular. It chases the player from one interesting location and situation to the next. One notable example is after the game carefully constructs Midgar as the game's central location it proceeds to casts the player out into a much wider world. The plot is hampered by a subpar translation, but nevertheless features multiple plot twists that work. The potential of this genre in terms of storytelling is in being able to tell outlandish but creative stories, that all too often spiral into complete bullshit. FF7 strikes an effective balance, telling a complex and at times otherworldly story, but a compelling tale, making it an unforgettable experience.

Mass Effect 1. ME1 is a game that embodies potential. Potential of a vast galaxy to explore and potential of a video game franchise. Potential that is never quite realized in the subsequent games. The flaws of this game are well-known, principally around the average combat (Bioware's first take on the TPS genre) and the dull side-planets. However, in my view these flaws are overcome by a number of huge strengths. First, the game does a phenomenal job of introducing a new gameworld. It is filled to the brink with interesting lore and characters, serving to make the world entirely believable and hugely engrossing. The visual design is great, and the soundtrack is unique and incredibly atmospheric. Second, the game does player choice in impacting the story right, not only in the main quest but also in the side stories. Lastly, the game goes into overdrive in the last portion of the story. It features one of the best third acts in RPG history, and really in gaming for that matter. In the endgame it hurries the player from one fantastic revelation, location, and character encounter to the next (Sovereign/Vigil, Virmire/Ilos, Wrex/Saren, just to name some examples). A flawed gem, but a gem nonetheless.

Fallout New Vegas. Prior to the game's release I remember feeling disappointed at what looked like a cheap expansion pack for Fallout 3 reusing many of the same assets. It didn't help matters that the game had the typical lack of polish at launch we have come to expect. However, upon digging deeper, I found a game that was a huge improvement over its predecessor in key areas, particularly in terms of the quality of writing, sub-plots, player choice, and world consistency. It is amazing that there is so much going on in this world, and yet it all feels tightly interconnected at the same time. Unlike most open-world games, these connections were not merely artificial, but deep and meaningful. Load it up with a number of great mods on PC and enjoy the Las Vegas wasteland.

Dragon Quest 8. When I first bought this game I wasn't sure what I was getting into. It turned out to be a magical experience. A great visual design that holds up to this day, a simple plot but elevated by many effective sub-plots and human stories, likeable characters, and absolutely spectacular orchestral soundtrack.

Bloodbone. Ok, maybe including this game on a list of RPGs is a bit of a stretch. But what I found most remarkable is that the game creates an amazingly cohesive world. You really feel that you are a part of Yarnham, a feeling propelled both by the great interconnected level design, amazing art direction, and the fact that the game tells simple but effective subplots with its cast of side-characters and the locations themselves.

Demon's Souls. I came to play this game long after its release, having entered the Soulsbourne series with Bloodborne. While Demon's is outdated graphically, it is incredibly atmospheric and engrossing. It features a number of interesting and unique gameplay elements that were subsequently removed in the later titles. It is well worth tracking down a PS3 for to give it at least one playthrough.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Mass Effect 2. An amazing experience. Fantastic characters, great set pieces, and a game that effectively builds on the lore of the first game. But why only an honorable mention? Clearly, Bioware realized after ME1 that giving the player a lot of choices becomes really complicated when you have a tightly interwoven story arc across multiple games. Thus, in ME2 the game somewhat paddles back on impactful choices compared to the first game. There are not as many major impact points like saving or sacrificing the Rachni Queen. This game started the unfortunate trend where the player gets fewer direct choices, but more indirect consequences contingent upon building up some arbitrary statistic like "ship upgrades" to acquire a "better" ending. Furthermore, the side quests and side planets for the most part don't give any choices at all, or only purely superficial ones, unlike the first game. Another issue also is that while the fundamentals of the TPS combat were significantly improved, the game veers too much into standard corridor TPS gameplay that becomes dull after a while. The underlying premise of various grades of armor needing different abilities to defeat is also fairly basic and not very compelling, further exacerbated by the underdeveloped character development system. A great game, yes, but one that could have been the greatest action RPG ever with some improvements.

Persona 5. A game that is at times overly long, but intertwines multiple gameplay mechanics so incredibly well. Together with the unique and stellar audiovisual presentation I simply could not put it down.

Fallout 3. A game that is weighed down but the typical Bethesda jank, including unconvincing animations and mediocre writing. But this game somehow is better than the sum of its parts. This is mainly because the depressing visual design, gameworld, and atmospheric soundtrack make exploring the wasteland incredibly immersive. Along with the fact that Bethesda focused on fewer quests and a smaller world meant there are a lot of intriguing places to visit. It really feels like being lost in the wasteland.

Witcher 3. This game has been much discussed and I will not further elaborate my thoughts here.

Diablo 2. One of the most anticipated and most delayed PC games of all time. This was the last game released by Blizzard before they adopted the same'ish bright colored cartoon style for all of their games. A depressing and dangerous world that is fun to explore, along with fantastic and deep character classes. Play it through with a friend if you can.

Final Fantasy 10. This might surprise some folks. After all, it is well established that this game has some incredibly corny writing and scenes. But here's the thing: the game claims that its premise is Tidus' story. However, at its core this is a story about a world called Spira. And a magnificent world it is indeed. Spira makes the game, and as such, the game is great.

Final Fantasy 8.
Final Fantasy 9.
Both of these games are flawed in their own ways, but overcome those flaws with their strengths in other areas. Two games that are well worth playing through once.

Baldur's Gate

Last edited:

Griffin

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
Time to make the case for a game that's being overlooked (or maybe nobody else considers it an RPG for some reason)!

Highlight Vote

m7IUm33.png

A masterpiece of action RPG design that's always uplifting to play through. This is a game where you gain experience not from fighting enemies, but by healing plants and feeding animals. The Celestial brush is a wonderfully creative mechanic, letting the sun god Amaterasu interact with the environment by slicing things open with brush strokes or drawing gusts of wind. Yes, Okami is longer than it could be, but the story is so episodic that it doesn't matter, taking tales from Japanese folklore and giving them a fresh coat of paint. And of course the presentation is absolutely gorgeous. It's been well over a decade since its release and I can't stop gushing about it.

Dragon Quest III: I feel a little strange putting it so high when I only finished it recently, but its influence on the genre is so great that I feel like I've already played it hundreds of times. A pleasantly personal tale that made me love RPG world maps again.

Dragon Quest V: Emotionally moving in an understated way. No other RPG has followed the journey from child to parent in such an effective manner. The introduction of monster collecting was also a big shift for the series.

Final Fantasy VI:
The best Final Fantasy until I change my mind and pick a different one. Very ambitious for its time with a huge cast of characters that have their own storylines and fighting styles. It's fun to hunt down each party member and pull everyone together for the game's final act.

EarthBound: The most charming RPG out there, with a script that's both hilarious, heartwarming and incredibly creepy at times. What looks like a plain Dragon Quest clone has a lot of heart and some interesting twists to the battle system, making the most of its modern setting and surreal visuals.

Pokemon Gold/Silver: Not only were the Gold and Silver versions a huge technical achievement, but the journey through the Johto region was the most memorable to me personally. The setting felt more alive with a day/night cycle, breeding and different daily events. Gold and Silver were before the series fell into a predictable pattern, with an eclectic bunch of creatures to collect taking inspiration from obscure animals, plant life and even Japanese comedians.

Persona 4: Sure, there are bits of the story that could be handled much better in retrospect, but at the time I'd never played an RPG that approached issues concerning depression, sexuality and gender identity that were relevant to me as a teenager. The battle system is brilliant and the setting and social links perfectly capture the feeling of living in a rural Japanese town.

Xenoblade Chronicles: The sequels lost me, but the first Xenoblade is still a stunning example of how to give a JRPG a huge scope while still keeping the focus on the characters. Then again, as much as I loved the cast and their accents, it was the beautiful environments that I never wanted to leave.

Undertale: Depending on how you play, it can be one of the funniest RPGs ever or one of the most painful. Memorable characters, a great soundtrack and a unique battle system where you don't need to hurt anyone put every 50+ hour RPG to shame.

NieR Automata: I like games that make me sad and think about robots. Also Platinum Games combat.

I swear I'll play more western RPGs before next year's vote. I'm taking notes of what people nominate!

--VOTE INFO START—

Okami

Dragon Quest III
Dragon Quest V
Final Fantasy VI
EarthBound
Pokemon Gold/Silver
Persona 4
Xenoblade Chronicles
Undertale
NieR Automata

Etrian Odyssey IV
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Grandia
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Persona 3
The World Ends With You
Valkyria Chronicles
Ys Origin

--VOTE INFO END--

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
In no particular order...

Highlight Vote: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

maxresdefault.jpg

While I know many argue the Sky games are superior, something about Cold Steel really spoke to me. It's incredibly charming, with a high-school setting that doesn't feel overwrought with tropes for once, while the sense of scale the game achieves despite its limited assets and budget is astounding. The character depth is great, the localization is top-notch and the game itself is fun to boot. I'm still playing through the rest of the Trails games, but this is the one that made me fall in love with the franchise and Falcom as a whole.

Final Fantasy VII

pizza.jpg

I always feel a bit trite voting for this one, since it's so expected, but it's an incredibly important game to my personal growth. It marked the first time I ever wanted to read, while it sparked my creativity and encouraged me to become a writer. Given the localization it's funny in hindsight, not to mention it was probably a bit too mature for little me, but I can't overstate how significant it was playing that rental copy for the very first time. As for the game itself, it has its problems, but I feel it's more polished than most people give credit. For the studio's first big foray into 3D gaming, it's an amazing accomplishment that still holds up in most ways.

Final Fantasy IX

tumblr_mkv7ovilc21rjenv2o2_400.gif

This is ~technically~ a superior game to Final Fantasy VII, but they're often neck-and-neck in my rankings. IX still looks outstanding, the narrative and characters are just as gripping, and that music... The quality of life improvements the recent re-release brought fix most of the problems, and my only lingering issues surround some of the character design choices (just what is Eiko wearing).

Xenoblade Chronicles

Xenoblade-Chronocles-3D-5.jpg

I have a love/hate relationship with the Wii but its later years produced some absoute gems, with the first Xenoblade at the forefront. Its surprising scale and unique British localization set it apart, making for a pretty unforgettable journey.

Mass Effect 2

HuYiVXn.jpg

I love all of Mass Effect, including every last bit of 3, but 2 is definitely where it peaked. It's one of the few games that has tied together gameplay and story so succinctly, with very little content feeling like filler. And what a story it is.

The Witcher 3

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-debut-gameplay-trailer-1024x576.jpg

I played this for something like 300 hours apparently and it didn't feel like it. Not many games make side-quests meaningful, let alone open-world ones, but The Witcher 3 pulls it off. Bit of a shame the main story isn't quite as gripping as the world itself, but it was a fun ride.

Persona 4 Golden

Sv9XASb.jpg

The summer I finally sat down and played this game is pretty unforgettable in my mind. Even though I wasn't going in completely fresh (I already knew who the murderer was), I was gripped from start to finish.

Kingdom Hearts 2

5262ea4b44051.jpg

Many would say this is where the story went off the rails (personally I'd say that happened the second you defeat Maleficent in the first game) but it's undoubtedly the funnest to play in my mind. Bouncing around all the Disney worlds with frenetic combat is incredibly fun, and the sheer amount of content they added in the re-release only makes it better.

350px-TTYDStarPoints.png

This needs a re-release. It's been too long since I last played it, Nintendo! But what I remember of it is a magical adventure that took risks but still had a charming core underneath it all. Who'd have thunk a Mario RPG could include a murder mystery on a train, wrestling, aliens and much, much more?

Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver

2138.png

SoulSilver is the last Pokémon game I really loved, and while a lot of that was down to nostalgia it is incredibly fun to play. There's no hand-holding, just adventuring with your Pokémon at your side the entire time. Not to mention the fact it contains the best soundtrack in the series' history.

--VOTE INFO START—

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Xenoblade Chronicles
Mass Effect 2
The Witcher 3
Persona 4 Golden
Kingdom Hearts 2
Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver

Final Fantasy XIV
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Paper Mario
Ys VIII
Bravely Default
Persona 3 Portable
Persona 5
Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters

--VOTE INFO END--

This might change a bit in the near future as I'm playing Vampyr and Fire Emblem Awakening for the first time!

Last edited:

Rikalaus

Oct 30, 2017
--VOTE INFO START—

Final Fantasy 7

Fire Emblem (GBA)
Final Fantasy 8
Lost Odyssey
Persona 4
Final Fantasy 4
Nier: Automata
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
Final Fantasy 10
Fallout 3

Persona 5
Final Fantasy 12
Knights of The Old Republic
Final Fantasy Tactics (GBA)
Final Fantasy 6
Dragon's Dogma
Final Fantasy 9
Fallout New Vegas

--VOTE INFO END--

Final Fantasy 7 - The game that got me into RPG's. Took me a couple of times to get into it but once i did, i couldnt stop playing. Love the story and the music. One of the games that i try to replay once a year.

Fire Emblem + Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones - These two are the first SRPG's that i remember first getting into. These games along with a few albums always make me think of a great summer i had at the time first playing them. I remember the first time i lost a character and not being able to use them again after a battle, trying to read up how to recuit different characters to the ones you'd normally recuit along the game.

Nier Automata - I thought i wouldn't like this game in the parts i saw whilst my partner's brother played last year. Fast forward a few months later and i ran out of stuff to play and as this was still on my PS4 i thought i'd give it a try. Didn't play anything else for nearly two weeks i got sucked in completely. Bought the soundtrack to the game before i'd even finished Route A.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got my start with electronic RPGs with NES Dragon Warrior (Quest), PC dungeon crawls, and, yes, the PC AD&D Gold Box games, so for a long time I had an XP + stats = RPG mentality. That started to break down when I picked up tabletop RPGs (which could be closer to visual novels, interactive fiction, or point & click adventure games outside of combat). And then last gen when Call of Duty added XP and stats and equipment menus, that old definition of RPGs was entirely shattered. Now I think of the genre boundaries as fuzzier and marked only by general consensus, fair game to be stretched.

Highlight: NieR Automata - I've written previously of how this is both an exceptionally enjoyable experience, making me feel like a kid playing Chrono Trigger back in '95 again, and how it (by Ending E) elevates the video game medium as an artform. What else is there to say?

On the other hand, I do have something to say about...
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
gateway_ad.jpg

SSI's AD&D Gold Box games are unjustly forgotten, though they topped the computer gaming charts in the 80s. The Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment) were a huge downgrade in terms of UI and gameplay (being made a decade later for WIMP babies), but now they're remembered as the AD&D "classics". The Gold Box games combined tactical AD&D party-based combat (even Attacks of Opportunity when moving and small details like an actual delay on Delayed Blast Fireball) and full-fat character creation (including class changes) with first-person dungeon/town exploration (with overhead automapping and overworld maps). The system implementation was both ambitious and good.

game_845.png

game_957.png

start_014.png

beholderdeath.gif

It's difficult to choose one as the best of the Gold Box -- Pool of Radiance was the first, but is much more limited than later games. Pools of Darkness ends the series that starts with PoR and is the most over the top, but throws insane combat encounters at you, one after the other. The Dragonlance (Krynn) games rely way too heavily on their source material (I like Raistlin and Caramon and the others -- my username is in part inspired by Raist's staff -- but the whole game series feels like the worst parts of Assassin's Creed III). Hillsfar and Neverwinter Nights stray a bit from what the core Gold Box concept. Dragon Strike and Eye of the Beholder aren't generally accepted as Gold Box games (and I didn't care for them anyway).

Gateway to the Savage Frontier and Treasures of the Savage Frontier aren't particularly ambitious (although Treasures features a surprising NPC romance). They were, in fact, farmed off to Stormfront Studios. Even so, both games are rock-solid and deliver a strong experience without the power creep or fanwankery of the later SSI games while being much more polished than the earlier games. Gateway, in particular, has an engaging plot and excellent pacing, with low-level characters (as I prefer in D&D). So I give it the nod.

Other full-point games:
Assassin's Creed Origins - I don't love everything about ACO, but it's a modern open-world RPG done right. Bayek and his relationships with his family and people add so much.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night - The atmosphere and music of SotN remain unmatched in the genre. This is the only PS1 game I replay.

Chrono Trigger - My GoAT for a long, long time. (And the other motivation for my online username.)

Dragon's Dogma - There's a lot of jank here with regard to NPCs and dialog, but Dragon's Dogma is just super fun to play.

Fire Emblem (GBA/7) - I'm not interested in arguing that 7 is objectively the best FE, but I started the series with it and it was pretty great. I'd recommend today's newcomers start with Awakening.

The Legend of Zelda - The original The Legend of Zelda is an incredible adventure that doesn't hold your hand but has a manageable world that can be traversed from end to end in under a minute. Some people claim Breath of the Wild returns to the series' roots, but that game is bloated and extremely slow by comparison. I don't have any desire to play NES games anymore apart from this one.

Mass Effect 2 - I loved ME1 and replayed it many, many times. When ME2 hit, I was disappointed by the lack of Wrex and the simplified RPG elements. But over time (and after ME3), I've come to regard this as the highlight of the series even if only for the gameplay deficiencies of ME1.

Metroid (Zero Mission) - Zero Mission is my favorite 2D Metroid, but not necessarily the most "RPGish". If Hollow Knight and To the Moon and Zelda (and Dark Souls played at SL1) games count, though, why not Metroid?

About the honorable mentions:

Final Fantasy II gets a bum rap. It's an incredibly ambitious entry in the Final Fantasy series. The story is far stronger than I and III, and the keyword system is a bit of a twist (if frustrating in the original release). The combat/leveling system is immensely fun and innovative (no item/class restrictions; the more you use something, the better you get at it) even if the execution is kind of broken (attack your teammates to make them grow more resilient). I'd much rather have a game that tries interesting new ideas but doesn't nail them all as opposed to a game that settles for conventional but mediocre systems (as all other mainline Final Fantasy games did until X-2/11/12).

KotOR is perhaps even more mechanically simplified than the Infinity Engine games, but the cinematic presentation, choice and consequence elements, and direct control (when playing with a gamepad) go a long way. Before KotOR (and Rogue Leader), I didn't care for Star Wars at all. It's on this list for a very different reason than Gateway to the Savage Frontier.

I liked To the Moon greatly, but the "game" implementation was tedious. A Bird Story is much improved in that regard (and much shorter).

Other notes:

I limited myself to one game per franchise -- at least DQ I/III, ME 1, Metroid Prime 1/2, FE: Awakening, Tales of Destiny, To The Moon, and TLoZ:LttP/LA would have to fight for spots without that restriction.

Also, I still haven't gotten around to starting God of War (2018), which could very well be on this list if I'd played it. I also haven't finished Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (playing the same levels as lamer characters isn't that enticing), but maybe the payoff will be worth it. Breath of Fire III was close to making the cut-off; if I hadn't included borderline "RPGs" it would definitely be on the list.

--VOTE INFO START—

NieR Automata

Assassin's Creed Origins
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Chrono Trigger
Dragon's Dogma
Fire Emblem (GBA/7)
Gateway to the Savage Frontier (Gold Box)
The Legend of Zelda
Mass Effect 2
Metroid (Zero Mission)

A Bird Story
Diablo III (console)
Dragon Quest IV
Final Fantasy II (not IV)
Onimusha 2
Resident Evil 4
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Tales of Vesperia
Undertale

--VOTE INFO END--

Last edited:

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just as a note, I made an arbitrary rule not to name more than one RPG from a series, including spiritual successors. All games on the list have to be significantly mechanically different from each other to be worthy of consideration. Secondly not all of these games are what I consider to be the best of their kind or series, in fact, a significant number of them aren't but my aim was not to point out only what I consider to be the best RPGs but also the ones that left the most impact in the industry. Without some of the titles on my list many of what people came to consider the best roleplaying games of their kind wouldn't exist and while my list isn't perfect, I don't think any list is or can be, I aimed to make it diverse and help expose some great games that otherwise might not have received any attention.

Also, my Honorable Mentions serve as recommendations for people that liked my main list as in: if you liked this… try this.

------

Ocarina of Time - In my opinion there is no RPG that comes closer to realising and portraying the archetypical Hero's Journey in a video game. It has a simple but memorable story and is set in a diverse world filled with different cultures and quirky characters. Although better roleplaying games with better gameplay have come along and although there are RPGs with much better stories and lore this is the one that set the bar for what modern action RPGs would become and its influence can still be seen or felt to this very day in the best RPGs whether they are made by a western studio (the Witcher series) or an eastern one (Dark Souls). That's why, in my opinion, this is the most essential RPG ever made in the modern (read: 3D) era of games.

The Witcher: Wild Hunt 3 - to me the Witcher 3 is the culmination of the best aspects of various other western RPGs into a single epic world. With its excellent writing, it's broody depiction of a fantasy kingdom at war at its way of marrying all of its several elements. I can name numerous examples of games that have better elements of what makes the Witcher 3 great. I can name games with better writing and characters, I can name games with better or more imaginative worlds, I can name games with better gameplay but I can't find any game that has as many great elements as the Witcher 3 has and I wouldn't be surprised if it took a decade or two for it to be surpassed. The Witcher 3 is the "Ocarina of time" of western RPGs.

Demon's Souls - there are fewer series that hold a special place in my heart than the Souls one. I felt conflicted about choosing Demon's Souls or Dark Souls and while I will agree that in many ways Dark Souls is a better game with a much larger scope I feel that Demon's Souls is a much more original experience and it defined what the Souls series came to be. In my opinion, Demon's Souls still holds the best level design of the entire series thanks to very intricate designs with a lot of verticality and lore that rivals, if not surpasses, the beloved Dark Souls. Most of its bosses have interesting design that makes them unique and very memorable. I still remember how impressive and unsurmountable the Tower Knight seemed the first time I crossed through the fog gate, I still remember cowering behind a pillar hoping to lure away the Old Hero, a blind boss that reacts to sounds, the dreaded Maneater and that feeling of despair when the second one showed up or the Old Monk, a boss that could be an actual player. Similarly to Ocarina of Time, sequels/succesors to Demon's Souls improved on many of its aspects (gameplay, balance) but Demon's Souls remains to me essential because it was very experimental and because it started what became one of the most famous roleplaying game series in history.

Final Fantasy IV - It's easy to look at the Final Fantasy series and look at the either the very first games or the most recent ones but I feel like the series reached its stride in FF4. This game was the first one where we saw Square putting an emphasis on the story and writing of the world and with that they were able to tell a simple, and perhaps cliche, story about redemption but also one that is very solid and meaningful. Although later games in the series were able to tell much more complex and compelling stories (like Final Fantasy 6, 7, Tactics) I believe that IV was the game that set the benchmark for those and it remains until this day one of the best examples of what people nowadays regard as the stereotypical fantasy jRPG.

Fallout 2 - Oppressive, dark, funny, engrossing and well written. Fallout 2 is, in my opinion, the best depiction of a post-apocalyptic world. The tone of the world and writing is as dark and oppressive as the gameplay. Every choice you make brings meaningful consequences to your surroundings and each combat encounter plays out in wildly different ways from another one. It's a game that almost never makes you feel truly safe and where the writing wasn't design in a pandering form for the player and one that feels a lot more engrossing and involving than any of the Bethesda era games.

Gothic 2 - While the Elder Scrolls series is famed for its broad open worlds with shallow writing the Gothic series is one that is famous for its tightly packed worlds, punishing difficulty and famous "jank". Although Gothic 2 is very flawed from a technical and mechanical standpoint it offers one of the most engrossing tightly knit open worlds to explore. Before the Witcher series became popular the Gothic series was one of the best ones at exploring themes of grey morality and giving you a real sense of progression as your cling and climb your way up the social ladder of the faction you chose to align yourself with. Few games ever gave me as great and meaningful sense of progression as Gothic 2 and few games have worlds that I appreciated exploring as much as Gothic 2's.

Chrono Trigger - It's hard to make a list of definitive roleplaying games without including what is arguably one of the best, if not the very best, jRPG ever made. Chrono Trigger is the type of game that will usually only appear once every generation. Every single person responsible for the main parts of it were, or went on to become, legendary figures in the industry. The game itself is a classic jRPG with an incredible story and many branching paths that lead to various different endings. It has one of the most memorable and cherished casts of characters of any game and tells a heartwarming and compelling time-travelling and globe trotting story accompanied by what is, one of the best videogame soundtracks of all time. If you decide to only play one jRPG in your life, Chrono Trigger should be it.

Xenoblade Chronicles - in my opinion this is the most relevant jRPG of the last decade. Featuring larger-than-life expansive environments, an incredibly rich soundtrack and engrossing and epic story Xenoblade Chronicles was the game that set Monolith Soft at the throne of modern jRPGs. Where Square Enix floundered with disappointing and/or rushed releases Xenoblade Chronicles not only met the scope of what the Final Fantasy series thrived to achieve but surpassed expectations thanks to an incredible world that is jaw-dropping (despite the Wii's very limited hardware) and an engrossing story that is easy to follow and holds much more depth than at first it may seem to have. To me the Xenoblade Chronicles series currently stands at the top of what jRPGs can offer and this is the game that cemented them into that position.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - before Bioware went on to develop their own sci-fi roleplay series they released KotOR which remains to this day one of my favorite Star Wars anything. It has one of my favorite stories, it has simple but effective gameplay and, in my opinion, it marked the first 3D Bioware game where they finally started to hit their stride and since KotOR they continued to refine their formula, exploring new themes (eastern and fantasy). One could argue that many of their more recent games are better than KotOR but I feel that for any fan of Star Wars or Bioware games it remains one of the most essential games.

Persona 4 - most roleplaying games can only wish they had character development as good as Persona 4's. Persona 4 is a unique blend of classic dungeon crawling and social development. It's a game that links your character's growth to their emotional development and to the way they associate with their friends or how well they perform their hobbies or tasks in real life. It's a surprisingly deep and nuanced game that tackles as many light-hearted subject as it does darker ones. Outside of that, it has a great aesthetic which has aged immensely better than most games of its age and one of the all-time great soundtracks of any game.

Honorable mentions:

If you enjoyed Ocarina of Time, try >

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - just as Ocarina of Time was a departure from the classic 2D Zelda games of previous generations Breath of the Wild also marks a departure from more linear experience of previous Zelda games. It's a game that focuses on exploration and experimentation and is one of the most liberating and enjoyable games I've played in recent years.

If you enjoyed the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt >

You are out of luck, but try out Dragon's Dogma. There aren't many games that are comparable to Witcher 3 but Dragon's Dogma is an original engrossing take on the western RPG and features some of the best combat on any action RPG. If you were disappointed with Witcher 3's gameplay and wish you had something richer/more challenging than give Dragon's Dogma a try

If you enjoyed Demon's Souls, try >

Dark Souls - this is one of the easiest recommendations to make. Dark Souls is essentially Demon's Souls 2 in all but name but offers a much broader scope, more refined gameplay and completely new world and lore which some would argue is just as engrossing, if not more, than Demon's Souls. While it did lose some of its originality and the later half of the game was clearly rushed overall it still remains one of the best games ever made.

If you enjoyed Final Fantasy IV, try >

Final Fantasy IX - while I could recommend many of the other Final Fantasy entries like 6, 7 or even 8 the ninth entry in the series marks the epitome of what the series achieved within a fantasy world and also marks a turning point in the series as it turned to a more linear series with a greater emphasis on graphics and a linear story and less story on exploration and world in general.

If you enjoyed Fallout 2, try >

Wasteland 2 - the Fallout series was created when the developers failed to secure the rights to use GURPS roleplaying system for a sequel and many years later they were finally able to release a sequel to the series that inspired the now widely successful Fallout. As far as I'm aware, Wasteland 2 is the closest you can get to Fallout 2's world and gameplay with more modern graphics.

If you enjoyed Gothic 2, try >

Risen - after the developers of Gothic 2 lost right to use the property they created a new IP which was Risen and in most regards Risen is an improvement on Gothic 2's formula.

If you enjoyed Chrono Trigger, try >

Chrono Cross - finding a good successor or spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger is a tall order. Although many games have tried to do so, Chrono Cross is the closest you'll be able to find to a sequel to Chrono Trigger.

If you enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles, try >

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - most of what you appreciated in Xenoblade Chronicles is not only present in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 but you'll also find that Xenoblade 2 complements some of what you felt may have been missing. While it isn't obligatory to play the original game to appreciate Xenoblade 2 you will get more enjoyment out of it if you do.

If you enjoyed Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, try >

Mass Effect - Mass Effect and its sequel are, to me, the greatest achievements in Bioware's history. Mass Effect is Bioware's take on an epic sci-fi roleplaying game set in an expansive galaxy filled with interesting lore a great story and not-so-great, but serviceable, gameplay. To me Mass Effect 1 is the overall best entry in the series despite the mechanical/graphical enhancements of the sequels and the individually-great arcs of the second game.

If you enjoyed Persona 4, try >

Ar Tonelico - this may be a controversial choice or one that most have not heard of but Ar Tonelico was an original series of music-themed jRPGs set in a very unique setting that follows some very common jRPG tropes but focuses more on character development than most jRPGs typically do and has a similar system to Persona 4's where a character's personal growth is tied to their potential as a combatant. Although the translation for the first two games is riddled with issues, particularly the second game's which even has a fan translation project I fell in love with the world of the first two games and its very unique and beautiful soundtrack. If you want a more grounded/similar experience than the Trails games (Trails in the Sky/Trails of Cold Steel) offer a gameplay loop that is much more similar to Persona 4's.

--VOTE INFO START—

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Demon's Souls
Final Fantasy IV
Fallout 2
Gothic 2
Chrono Trigger
Xenoblade Chronicles
Persona 4

Dragon's Dogma
Dark Souls
Final Fantasy IX
Wasteland 2
Risen
Chrono Cross
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Mass Effect
Ar Tonelico

--VOTE INFO END--

Last edited:

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
I have question , what about games cut in 2 , for exemple , trails in the Sky Fc/SC
or utwarerumono mask of deception/truth ? Those games are basicly cut into 2, so can i choose 1 ? or put the 2 into 1 vote ?
In both of those cases , the sequel is superior , but it's just not recommanded to start with the sequel , you need to play the previous game first .

Can i just put both games into 1 vote , right ? It won't be a problem ?

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have question , what about games cut in 2 , for exemple , trails in the Sky Fc/SC
or utwarerumono mask of deception/truth ? Those games are basicly cut into 2, so can i choose 1 ? or put the 2 into 1 vote ?
In both of those cases , the sequel is superior , but it's just not recommanded to start with the sequel , you need to play the previous game first .

I think you should recommend only the game you find superior with the caveat that it is highly recommended to play the original before trying it because it follows a pre-established story/characters.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017

The Trails games should definitely be counted separately. I am not sure about that second pair, as I have never played them. Generally direct sequels (like the Xenosaga games or Trails) should be separate entries. If we had something more similar to the various Telltale games series (where one game is split into a bunch of parts), than those would count as a single entry.