• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
1) Super Metroid

Super Metroid is that rarest of things, a perfect game. It's just beautifully put together with the most perfect pacing on how it opens its world to you, superb graphics, atmospheric music and flawless controls that allow you to get to grips with some of the more challenging enemy/level design the game throws at you.

2) Prince of Persia (original, this had many ports - the DOS PC one most well known - but writing specifically about the SNES super-port that was almost a remake)

The eponymous PC port, a major improvement on the Apple II original is already considered by many one of the greatest games ever made. But the SNES "port" went to a whole new level, adding superb new graphics that deeply impressed Prince of Persia creator Jordan Mechner and impelled him to make a lovely hi res Mac port (which still didn't look as nice as the SNES version!). Not only that, but Arsys, who oversaw the SNES port, also added a whole extra 8 levels (bumping the time limit up from 1 to 2 hours at the same time), all of which feel great, and not awkward shoe-horns. They added new traps, gimmicks, enemies, bosses, and a whole new (and epic) final confrontation with the antagonist. They also added a superb atmospheric soundtrack by Toshiya Yamanaka - the original had very little music (though what existed was great). This game strained the boundaries of what the difference between a port and a remake is. And again, consider that on top of all these additions - all of which were well received by Prince of Persia fans - the game was already a cast iron classic, with industry changing rotoscoped character animation, superb platforming with real physical "weight" to the character and fiendish traps for those who get overconfident, and a really simple yet fun swordfighting system., with a wonderful vibe of the old Arabian fantasies like Thief of Bagdad or Sinbad.

3) Super Mario Brothers 3

Fantastic controls, varied power ups, incredible level design, and lovely music. The game just bursts with creativity, and feels as fresh today as when I first played it twenty three years ago.
The only flaw the game has is the warp whistles, which I am almost certain have caused many people to skip many of the best levels - and worlds - in the game. If you play this, don't used them for your first playthrough!

4) Yoshi's Island

How to follow up Super Mario World? Have all the heavyweight designers like Miyamoto and Tezuka focus on Super Mario 64 and leave most everything to Shigefumi Hino, previously a sprite artist for Mario World!
Hino in his directorial debut somehow created one of the finest games ever made, with a beautiful storybook aesthetic, mammoth levels to find hidden secrets in while traversing, a greater level of challenge compared to SMW and the best designed bosses in any platformer ever. Quite a debut!

5) Sonic 3 & Knuckles

The genius of Sonic under Yasuhara (and mostly ignored by modern Sonic Team) was the incredible level design, and this is showcased nowhere better then S3&K. There is no "gotta go fast" here, as you work through massive levels that challenge the top/middle/bottom sonic layout with levels that wind back and forth. With the two games (sonic 3 and sonic & knuckles) joined together as originally envisaged, the game is absolutely massive in scale. The special levels that contain the chaos emeralds and then super emeralds become punishingly difficult towards the end, and the game is brought together by a typically great sonic soundtrack. Michael Jackson contributed to it with some brilliant tracks, causing legal wrangles that mean the Sonic 3 soundtrack has never been released in full, and the game itself very rarely.

6) Super Mario Land 3 : Warioland

The only handheld game that made my top ten is a bit of an offbeat game. It is a sequel to Super Mario Land 2 both in name and in terms of the development team that worked on it. If you played SML2, you'll instantly be used to the wacky and somewhat surreal vibe to the game, very strongly seen in the graphical & musical aesthetic. But while this is called "Super Mario Land 3", Wario is the star of the show, as he looks to steal from other pirates. The gameplay itself is great, with Wario having a very fun shoulder charge as his default attack, as well as a throw mechanic and several power-ups, including a very fun flying one. The game places a lot of emphasis on how much money you have, and to that end there are secret treasures dotted around the game protected by locks. Finding both the keys and the doors to the treasures are a very fun subquest.

7) Super Mario 64

Nintendo's first foray into true 3D for Mario was the homerun to end all homeruns. While almost everyone else struggled to transition action franchises to 3D, Nintendo not only got it right, but somehow managed to create one of the finest games ever made. Huge sandbox worlds with plenty to do all tied together with a lovely castle hub. I could not put this game down back in the day until I got every single star, which I loved - even the "100 coin challenges" which at first I took for busywork became challenging in some of the later worlds where coins were tough to find. Finally, as easy as it is, fighting the Bob-omb king (as easy a battle as it is) for the first time is still a very fond memory of mine, but that is probably more nostalgia then anything.
The only thing keeping this as "low" as it is in my rankings is that the camera, while revolutionary at the time and light years ahead of everyone else for years, it does feel a bit long in the tooth now. Hopefully the rumoured HD remaster will fix this one little niggle.

8) Rocket Knight Adventures

This Mega Drive classic has absolutely beautiful sprite art (it and yoshi were my candidates for best art until I found out cuphead was eligible), fun boss encounters and great music, but what puts this in my top ten is the key mechanic to the game - the rocket charge dash. After holding a button down for a few seconds, Sparkster will dash forward in an incredibly satisfying manoeuvre, which is as useful for traversing the levels as it is for attacking foes. I cannot do justice to this in text, and even videos wouldn't, so I implore you to try this game yourself - there is a reason I also give this game "Best Mechanics".

9) Castlevania 3

Castlevania 3 is one of the absolute highpoints of its franchise. A beautiful NES game with wonderful music (even better on the original famicom version, which is available in the "Castlevania Anniversary Collection" on modern consoles), this was one of the earliest games I played with branching paths. What was cool was that along some of those paths you met people who would join you, adding another dimension to the game with their different attacks and abilities. The one caveat is that the game to many people is seen as punishingly difficult. To me it stays on the "fair" side of the equation and I always love coming back to this very challenging game.

10) Duck Tales 2

How to follow up the gem that was Ducktales? Simple! Keep the brilliant pogo cane mechanic from the original, add new cane techniques hidden in some of the stages and secret treasures and map pieces that make for an even more fun game to explore. Took me a very long time when I was young to work out where all the map pieces were and find the secret level. Can you do it first time in 2020?

Best Upgrades - Super Metroid
Best Storytelling - Super Mario Galaxy
Best Soundtrack - Prince of Persia (SNES - this is specific to the SNES version)
Best Mechanics - Sparkster's charge in "Rocket Knight Adventure"
Best Level Design - Super Metroid
Best Art Design - Cuphead
Best Boss Design - Yoshi's Island

Honourable Mentions (purely mentioned because I feel guilty leaving them out and maybe this will remind someone else about how much they love them):

World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 9
Mega Man X3
Sonic Mania
Donkey Kong '94
Donkey Kong Country 3
Demon's Crest

Last edited:

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As always with these threads it's already great reading all the writeups.
Do Run'n'Gun's count as platformers? Need to know if I should give Cuphead best art design lol
Yea I think this came up in the announcement thread and like the RPG thread we're just doing a "cast your own net" approach, if you want to include it you can and if other people agree it'll end up on the list.

I would consider Cuphead personally since you do a lot of platforming and it is integral to the overall gameplay, maybe not as much as the shooting but still.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yep! Give us your Cupheads, your Mega Mans and your Contras! We take all kinds here.
Yea I think this came up in the announcement thread and like the RPG thread we're just doing a "cast your own net" approach, if you want to include it you can and if other people agree it'll end up on the list.

I would consider Cuphead personally since you do a lot of platforming and it is integral to the overall gameplay, maybe not as much as the shooting but still.

Sweet. :)

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Sonic Mania
4. Mega Man 3
5. Super Mario 64
6. Celeste
7. Super Meat Boy
8. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
9. Kirby Super Star Ultra
10. Wario Land 4

First draft, will probably heavily rework it along the way. I doubt the first two are ever going to change spots though, both are clearly the best in their respective categories of 2D and 3D platformers.
I don't consider metroidvania as platformers so my top won't have any of Super Metroid, SOTN and the likes.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Ha, as expected didn't make it half an hour without a bit of a headscratcher! They were originally intended to be one game, but ultimately were released as two separate ones, so to be consistent they are considered two games for this thread. If the community really wanted to dispute this and consider Sonic 3 & Knuckles one title, it's open for discussion, however.
Just saw this.

Would strongly prefer Sonic 3 & Knuckles to be counted as one, to be honest. While I can't speak for others, I think most fans of the franchise would agree.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
How do you interpret the word essential? There are so many ways to do it.
Anyhow my list:

1. Super Mario Galaxy - Perhaps the greatest game ever created, alongside BotW. It gives you the feeling of awe and beauty of space like no other game that I have played. And Rosalina's story about her mother is the most emotional thing I have seen in a video game (even though it's cartoony).
  2. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  3. Donkey Kong Country
  4. Super Mario Bros 3
  5. Super Mario Bros
  6. Earthworm Jim - One of the funniest games I have played.
  7. Super Mario Maker
  8. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis not Master System)
  9. Shadow of the Ninja / Blue Shadow (NES hidden gem)
  10. Contra III: The Alien Wars
Honorable mentions:
Zelda 2 - Absolutely fantastic game but not platformy enough for that list.

Best soundtrack: Super Mario Galaxy
Best storytelling: Super Mario Galaxy
Best art design: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Best boss design: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Best level design: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Have a look at Shadow of the Ninja:

Last edited:

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
It's too difficult (and boring) to try to create an "objective" list of the 10 "best" games in order - and I haven't played some of these games in several years. So instead, I'm ranking the games by how much I enjoyed them and how memorable they were to be at the time that I LAST played them.

Like, I recognize that Mirror's Edge is a flawed game, but it is so unique, it is so memorable, and I loved it despite its flaws. I'm not claiming it's necessarily a "better" game than say, Sonic Mania. But it had a bigger impact for me at the time I played it.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Rayman Origins
3. Rayman Legends
4. Mirror's Edge
5. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
6. Super Mario Bros. 3
7. Super Mario Galaxy
8. Super Mario World
9. Super Mario 64
10. Grow Home

Honorable mentions:
Sonic Mania
Super Mario Odyssey
Sonic Generations
Celeste

Best Upgrades - Super Mario Bros. 3
Best Storytelling - Celeste
Best Soundtrack - Rayman Origins
Best Mechanics - Mirror's Edge
Best Level Design - Super Mario Galaxy 2
Best Art Design - Rayman Legends
Best Boss Design - Yoshi's Island

I may come back and reorder later.

Last edited:

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea that is a tricky one because in logistics terms there will be a vote split for S3&K if they're counted separately, that people might not intend to have. On the other hand they're two distinct releases as PK mentioned sooo... yea 🤔

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Super Mario Odyssey: The Variety of worlds is amazing and unpredictable. Overall the wedding theme really makes it memorable.
  2. Yoshi's Island: The bedtime story presentation is wonderful and the mechanics were unique for a platformer.
  3. Super Mario Galaxy 2: An absolutely chaotic evolution of the first games, who can forget electrifying moments such as being chased by a million Comic Clones or falling down a giant sand slide?
  4. Super Mario Galaxy: The Observatory sets the tone of this elegant plaformer, whether you're riding dandelions through a garden planet or drifting through space using sticky pods.
  5. Super Mario 64: A revolutionary platformer with an immortal legacy. The secrets of the castle make it feel magical.
  6. Banjo Tooie: It has so much character with wonderfully British Snarky humour and its memorably named levels, Cloud Cuckoo Land!
  7. Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time: The most grandiose of all the Ratchet Games, the duo being split gives it an emotional resonance and the Great Clock theme presents a great, mysterious backdrop.
  8. Sonic CD: I love the overall tone and chaos of the little planet. In one stage you'll have the elegant Quartz Quarant, then the next you'll have the bumpiness of Wacky Workbench throwing you everywhere. It felt like a joyful theme part.
  9. Jak and Daxter: The setting island felt ahead of its time with how interconnected it all was, being able to find your way from one end to the other was really cool, from the snowy peaks to the submerged precursor ruins.
  10. Sonic Mania: It's the greatest hits album, actually that doesn't do it justice, some new ideas were absolutely fantastic. Levels have their own spritey grandeur like Press Garden and Studiopolis, that channel why you fell in love with the classics. If they're not worth the asking price, every classic level has a new twist like the Puyos showing up, to keep veterans off guard!

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How do you interpret the word essential? There are so many ways to do it.
Anyhow my list:

1. Super Mario Galaxy
  2. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  3. Donkey Kong Country
  4. Super Mario Bros 3
  5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  6. Super Mario Bros
  7. Earthworm Jim
  8. Super Mario World
  9. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis not Master System)
  10. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Best soundtrack: Super Mario Galaxy
Best storytelling: Super Mario Galaxy
Best art design: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Best boss design: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
"Essential" is continuing on in the tradition of the Essential RPG and Essential Horror threads. To me, it most closely means "important to recognize or experience". The kinds of games you would tell people about who maybe aren't as familiar with the genre. The criteria for this, of course, is incredibly subjective and something I wouldn't impose on something so personal to some. If you choose to weigh games by their overall quality, their historical importance, or even to shine a light on some obscure gem you're very fond of, that's your call. We're hoping this creates a wide net in the end of just what this genre can offer.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Super Mario Galaxy
    One of the most creative and beautiful games ever made, where every galaxy is a joy to jump through and even the motion controls feel "right". While the sequel improves in some areas, I also feel it lost something by using a less interesting hub and ignoring the genuinely moving story that went alongside the first game.

2. Super Mario Odyssey
    This game is all about surprises and rewarding your own sense of discovery. Something look suspicious? Throw your hat at it. Think you can make it up to that seemingly impossible-to-reach platform? Use the incredibly in-depth options offered by the game's new control features. Couple that with a cute story, creative Kingdoms, and some of the best fan-service, and you have an unmissable adventure.

3. Sonic Mania
    The best Sonic game hands down didn't come from Sega or Sonic Team but instead a team of dedicated fans who rose up the ranks to become official developers. That alone makes Sonic Mania special, but its sheer variety of content, gorgeous pixel-art, and fantastic soundtrack make it great in its own right. Then you have the Plus expansion, which only fleshes it out further, and you have a pitch-perfect platformer.

4. Kirby's Adventure
    I have a weird connection with the Kirby franchise. I've played most of the games, appreciated them, but only finished a couple. I think a part of that is down to how Kirby's Adventure basically perfected the formula, being not only what I'd argue is the best in the series but also the best game on the NES, period. For being the first game to introduce the power-up system it pulls it off flawlessly. I'd definitely pick up the 3DS 3D Classics version if you haven't already - it makes a great game even greater.

5. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Sonic 1 isn't a great game. The foundation is brilliant, sure, but outside of Green Hill Zone I'd hesitate to recommend it to anyone. That's why Sonic 2 is so impressive - it took that core and made it near-perfect. The speed is there, the exploration is there, the music is top-notch, and the introduction of Tails helped counterbalance the 'tude with something more earnest. It's a game I can pick up and play any time, and I love it.

6. Super Mario World
    I've often debated between World and Super Mario Bros. 3 in my mind, but I have to admit that World beats 3 in every regard except aesthetics. They only added a few new control options but they changed the way the game is played. A bonafide masterpiece of game design.

7. Super Mario 64
    I mean, this one goes without saying. It's not my favorite 3D Mario, and I think in a few regards it's aged poorly, but it's still incredibly playable and as essential as essential gets when it comes to historical importance.

8. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
    On the surface Yoshi's Island doesn't seem like it should be any good. It's relatively slow-paced, the aiming is very unusual, and there's Baby Mario's wailing, but nevertheless it proves to be a magical experience that I'm still surprised was pulled off on the Super Nintendo.

9. Banjo-Kazooie
    I only just recently played this all the way through as of last year and I have to admit, it's a very solid game, and one that didn't feel like a chore to 100% outside of a couple Jiggies. It's cute, not overly cheeky, and its creative takes on traditional platforming worlds are great.

10. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
    The first and only Castlevania game I've beaten. I suck at it, but it's undeniably fantastic, from its great cheesy anime cutscenes to its finely tuned gameplay.

03KayZd.png

Bonus Categories:

Best Soundtrack - Super Mario Land
The best Mario soundtrack is from the 8-bit game not composed by Koji Kondo, go figure. It's just so insanely catchy and perfectly suited to the little tiny Mario runnin' about the place.

Best Art Design - Rayman 2: The Great Escape
While Rayman's 3D debut is a bit spotty, the art design of its world, with its aethereal twists and turns and copious colored fog, is absolutely brilliant. The recent Rayman games are beautiful in their own way, but I miss this aesthetic.

5_KABvhUZ.jpg

Will likely update with more later, this has inspired me to play some of the platformers I've missed!

Last edited:
OP
OP
PK_Wonder

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
After some behind-the-scenes discussion, Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) will be combined as one. They were intended to be one game, have many similarities, connect to each other, and most importantly, fans refer them as one.

The same will apply to all 4 parts of Shovel Knight that are in Treasure Trove for many of the same reasons.

Any other similar cases will be decided case-by-case.

(Before anyone tries it, Galaxy 1 & Galaxy 2 are separate games and that's that :P )

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For Sonic 3, I kind of view it as pre-DLC DLC, and could compare it to Xenoblade 2, and Torna: the Golden Country. Torna was both an addition to the original game and it's own release, and many may choose to consider it a part of the parent game or its own thing. With that in mind, I would personally view Sonic 3&K as simply being Sonic 3. But if there is disagreement, I'm happy to go with what works best for everyone.

Edit: looks like we have our answer, one game it is!
Nowhere near enough Celeste in this thread.
Oh, I'll make sure Madeline has some recognition in my vote, don't you worry.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
After some behind-the-scenes discussion, Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) will be combined as one. They were intended to be one game, have many similarities, connect to each other, and most importantly, fans refer them as one.

The same will apply to all 4 parts of Shovel Knight that are in Treasure Trove for many of the same reasons.

Any other similar cases will be decided case-by-case.

(Before anyone tries it, Galaxy 1 & Galaxy 2 are separate games and that's that :P )

Sweet!

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
  1. Super Mario World (The best 2D platformer, great sprites, superb music and overall amazing world and level design)
  2. Super Metroid (The best metroid game ever, amazing atmosphere and level design. The mother of all Metroidvenias)
  3. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (The father of Metroidvenias, still holds up very well today. Great soundtrack.)
  4. Metroid: Zero Mission
  5. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  6. Super Mario Bros. 3
  7. Asterix (1993, Infogrames)
  8. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
  9. Mirror's Edge
  10. Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land

Paper Wario

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Edited for clarity.

1. Super Mario World
What more can be said about Nintendo's crowning achievement in 2D platforming. So much great level design with

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
Took everything from the first entry and perfected it. My favorite 3D Mario game of all-time.

3. Donkey Kong Country 2
An unmatched soundtrack across all of video games.

4. Yoshi's Island
Probably my most replayed game of all time. People will always complain about the crying mechanic but it never bothered me too much. Love the innovative approach that Nintendo took to do something completely different from Super Mario World. Music and bosses are so memorable.

5. Hollow Knight
It took me a little time to get into Hollow Knight but once it clicked, it instantly became one of my favorite games this gen and of all time. Such an awesome atmosphere, with challenging but incredibly rewarding gameplay. Silk Song is easily one of my most anticipated games this year.

6. Wario Land 3
Such a fun quirky game with awesome puzzles and creative power-ups to go with it.

7. Spyro the Dragon
One of my favorite games on the original Playstation. Insomniac knocked it out of the park with their 2nd ever game.

8. Celeste
Such a challenging yet fun game with great pacing and a very well told story.

9. Super Mario 64
I was trying to avoid too many repeated series with this list but you can't have a top platformer list without the OG 3D Mario game. Super Mario 64 set the standard and still holds up.

10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
A game worth of the Donkey Kong Country name. Hands down the best level design of any 2D platformer.

BONUS BADGES

Best Upgrades: Wario Land 3
Best Storytelling: Hollow Knight
Best Soundtrack: Donkey Kong Country 2
Best Mechanics: Celeste
Best Level Design: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Best Art Design: Yoshi's Island
Best Boss Design: Hollow Knight

Last edited:

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
1. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
3. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
4. Crash Bandicoot (Playstation)
5. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
6. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
7. Mega Man X (SNES)
8. Duck Tales (NES)
9. Rayman Legends (Wii U)
10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)

Last edited:

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Reminder that despite getting shafted in the banner (unless I missed them), Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 are platformers.

I'll have to see if I can come up with a list later. Platformers are my fave genre.

Dangit I meant to put it on the Banner. It is not the only character I meant to put on so you won't be alone.

I will be keeping a running list of the games I left off, haha.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea part of my rationale for S3&K is that it's conceptually similar to something like Shovel Knight Treasure Trove, and that I think is more clearly something that should count as one so for consistency S3&K also should.

I can imagine it'd be in a similar DLC structure as modern games had that been a thing like 25 years ago when it released.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Firstly just wanted to say that this thread is great and that banner is amazing! I've got a bit of a soft spot for platformers so this was so nice to see!

Anyway my list:

10. Ratchet & Clank PS4*

9. Yoku's Island Express

I wanted to use a spot on my list to give a shout out to what I believe is a massively underappreciated game. I can't imagine it'll feature in the final list but its one of the most inventive games I've played in the last few years - I'm not even fully sure you can call it a platformer but I'm going to for the purposes of this thread. For the uninitiated, imagine a metroidvania with a Rayman-esque art style but you play as a pinball and control movement through pinball paddles. That's basically Yoku's Island Express.

8.Metroid Zero Mission*

I don't know if the Metroid games are considered platformers but Samus is in the banner graphic so I'll include one. And I think the 2D games have more of a focus on platforming than the Prime games, so I'll go for one of them. I know a lot of people would go for Super Metroid over any of the others, but my personal choice is Zero Mission. It took the original NES game and expanded it in so many directions and it really feels like it gets to the core of what a Metroid game should be without getting in its own way (like some of the other games in the series have).

You can argue some of the additions are unnecessary (although I actually liked the new ending stuff) but its still an incredibly entertaining 5-6 hour game that represents the best of 2D Metroid to me.

7. Rayman Origins

6. Celeste

5. Super Mario Bros

I wanted a 2D Mario game on my list somewhere and I could probably choose any of the (non-New) games to fill the spot, but at the end of the day its the original that deserves the credit. Its probably a bit inaccurate to say it saved the video game industry (which I've seen bandied about here and there), but it is undoubtedly one of the single most influential games of all time. Even taken out of that context, its still an incredibly fun game to play to this day and so simple that anyone could get it within 5 minutes.

4. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

3. Super Mario Galaxy

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2

In my mind, the Galaxy games represent the pinnacle of what Nintendo has tried to achieve with level design, gameplay and platforming in the 35 years since the original Mario game. There's so many ideas thrown into these games; there's 360-ish stars between the two games and many of them are their own gameplay idea or power up. You're constantly learning new ways of playing that are then immediately tossed aside as you go onto the next star and something else new. And that's not to mention the music, which for my money is the best amongst the Mario games.

Both games are near-perfect but I tend to give the edge to Galaxy 2 as I found some of the gameplay ideas more inventive. And Yoshi is in it!

1. Rayman Legends

To me, Rayman Legends is the perfect video game. The painted art-style is incredible and so detailed (what happened to UbiArt!?), the platforming feels point-perfect and those music levels are so much fun. Its one of those games that you can have fun with from minute one, right the way through to hour 100 when you're going after every last collectable and trying to perfect every time challenge, because its constantly giving you new ways to move in the world and new challenges to think about.

I was never historically a massive Rayman fan, so when Origins first came out it really blew me away with how good it was. Legends takes that and, somehow, improves on it in every conceivable way (and actually includes a lot of it). If you're at all interested in platformers and you haven't played Rayman Legends, then do yourself a favour and pick up a copy.

And again; those music levels! Some of the best game design you'll ever see.

*for these two games, I'm specifically voting for the remakes and not the originals. Hopefully that's within the rules of the thread!

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1.Banjo-Tooie
2.Donkey Kong Country 2
3.Hollow Knight
4.Donkey Kong country Tropical freeze
5.Super Mario 64
6.Sonic Mania
7.Megaman 8
8.Super Mario odyssey
9.Crash Bandicoot 2
10.Spyro the dragon

Banjo-Tooie is one of my favorite games ever, great writing, music and worlds, I love backtracking to older levels once I've learned new moves and its always a treat.

Donkey Kong country 2 is a master class in design and atmosphere, every bit of it is awesome.

Hollow knight is the best metroidvania I've ever played, it got me through a depressing stage in my life and I love it to bits.

DKC Tropical freeze is probably the best follow up to a DKC since DKC2, Retro put their all into this game and it's a shame theres so many people who write it off because they didn't work on Metroid.

Super Mario 64 is the all time classic, what else needs to be said that hasn't been already?

Sonic Mania may as well be the Megaman 9 of Sonic, it oozes nostalgia and has some of the best sprite work out there.

Megaman 8 is my favorite in the series, great stages, fantastic soundtrack and some corny cutscenes as well, yeah it's got some annoying bits like the snowboarding and the first Wily boss but I love it!

Super Mario odyssey is up there as one of the greatest sandbox games, New Donk City is the pinnacle of the series and the charm is thru the roof, it reminds me a lot more of the Banjo games then SM64 ever did honestly.

Crash Bandicoot 2 and Spyro the dragon go hand in hand, the best playstation platformers out there and the remakes are just as stellar, and it certainly goes to show good games can come from anywhere.

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
~Top 10 Rankings~

1.) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - I was right there with everyone else when Tropical Freeze was announced. "Retro's working on fucking Donkey Kong". I wanted something flashier and more mature -- I wanted Metroid. My disappointment flipped when it was announced that David Wise was coming back. Suddenly, Tropical Freeze was one of my most anticipated games. When it released, I played through the game and it instantly became one of my favorite platformers ever. The music, the level design, the creativity, everything was everything I could have expected from a series that I grew up with. Even the water levels were a joy to play. A year after I finished it for the first time, I played it again, this time aiming for a 100% completion rate. That's when I discovered how good the game actually was. Tropical Freeze was made to be mastered. It rewards you for stopping to search for collectables, but it also rewards you for flying through the level as fast as possible. There's a rhythm to the platforming that maybe isn't exclusive to this game, but is something I've never experienced before (the secret levels are probably the most pure example of this). Overall, Tropical Freeze is the best-made, most beautiful, most fun platforming game of all time. I'll never doubt Retro Studios again.

2.) Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - The original Donkey Kong Country was the first game I ever owned, but its sequel is what really carved the franchise into my nostalgia. Diddy's Kong Quest is a bizarre pirate-themed take on the series. The moody atmosphere, haunting soundtrack, and memorable level settings combine with that classic goofy 90's attitude for something special. Oh, and the platforming holds up as well now as it did then.

3.) Mirror's Edge - I made a plug for Mirror's Edge in the Essential Platformers Announcement Thread because I was afraid it would get overlooked in the voting. This game is remarkably innovative and deserves to be remembered as one of the best, most unique experiences the genre has to offer. It's definitely flawed; the game is way too short, the story is forgettable, and the combat that was shoehorned into the game was just awful. But the platforming is pure. There's a real feeling of scope in the levels and then a variety of mechanics that allows players to be incredibly creative in how they complete them. It's really a bonus that the game was aesthetically gorgeous. Faith deserves better than she got, and I hope the tremendous potential of this franchise gets realized eventually.

4.) Super Mario 64 - There's enough that's been said on this landmark title. It merges tight 3D platforming with collectathon elements that don't overwhelm (*ahem* looking at you Rare) in a way that I don't think has been done since. That's remarkable for what many consider the grandfather of 3D platformers. Some of Kondo's best work is here as well.

5.) Shovel Knight - This game demonstrated exactly how indie games should handle throwbacks. Shovel Knight took the best elements of a variety of classic games, combined them into one cohesive package, and then modernized the game enough to keep things fresh without sacrificing its retro appeal. The checkpoint mechanic was a brilliant innovation and really cemented Shovel Knight as one of the greatest platformers of the last decade.

6.) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - You could easily make a valid case for Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, or even New Super Mario Bros. U as the best 2D Mario game. All four games are excellent examples of tight, well-designed platforming. Yoshi's Island, a bit of a deviation from those games, is my personal favorite. It's not as fast, but the collectathon elements are welcome and the egg-throwing mechanic is a clever twist. The art style is gorgeous and the bosses (typically the worst part of any platforming game they're in) are actually fun.

7.) Super Mario Odyssey - I could talk about the immense scope of Odyssey. I could talk about the countless collectables or I could talk about the possession mechanic. However, I think any of those points could be argued as being strengths or weaknesses. There's one thing that nobody should dispute though: Super Mario Odyssey offers nearly unlimited platforming creativity. Go watch a speedrun of the game if you doubt that. On a somewhat related/final note: the simple act of being able to bounce off of your suspended-in-midair hat after throwing it is so much fun it's absurd.

8.) Super Mario 3D World - This game is just a blast to play, especially with friends. 3D World is my ideal balance between the absolute chaos of multiplayer in something like New Super Mario Bros. Wii and the tight design of something like 3D Land. The power-ups were a lot of fun to mess with and the final boss is one of the series' best.

9.) Super Monkey Ball - I overlooked this game when first crafting my list, considering it a party game more than anything. After reading some of the posts on here, however, I've reconsidered. It's platforming, just in a bubble and without a jump button. Get to the end as quick as possible. I'd probably have this game ranked higher, but I play it primarily for the party minigames, thus the platforming itself is less essential to me (but still great).

10.) Super Metroid - I didn't want to include this, because I really don't consider Super Metroid a platformer, personally. However, it's certainly an essential game and the best of its genre (and I doubt we'll get a voting thread for essential Metroidvania games any time soon). Zero Mission is amazing as well.

~Badges~

Best Upgrades: Super Mario 3D World
Best Storytelling: Super Metroid
Best Soundtrack: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Best Mechanics: Super Mario Odyssey
Best Level Design: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Best Art Design: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Best Boss Design: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

~Honorable Mention~

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - Technically, this game wasn't great. It really didn't do anything that hadn't been done previously and what it did do wasn't particularly refined. The story is nonsense; the characters and dialogue are cringe-inducing; and the game-mechanics are sloppy, if not terrible. Yet, it's a game I always come back to. Maybe it's the City Escape stage, maybe it's the chao garden, or maybe it's just nostalgia. In any case, I wanted to mention Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, even if I can't justify calling it "essential".

Platformer Creation Games - Shoutout to the Mario Maker and LittleBigPlanet (and Dreams?) series. Lots of amazing things have happened (and will happen) within those groups of games.

Acclaimed games I haven't played/finished yet - Respect to Astro-Bot, Celeste, INSIDE, Super Mario Sunshine, Tearaway, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Rayman: Legends, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair. They all seem like great games and I wish I was in a better position to judge them adequately.

Last edited:

lightning16

May 17, 2019
1. Hollow Knight - I love everything about this game. Wonderful art style and sound design. Movement and combat that manage to feel good and feel very precise at the same time. I think Hollow Knight will mostly be known for its excellent combat and exploration, but the ace platforming is a key component of both of those, not to mention the many wonderful platforming sections present in the game.

2. Super Mario Bros. 3 - I'm consistently amazed that this game was originally an NES game that released in Japan in 1988. In my opinion, it took years for anything to release that has aged nearly as well as this game, and it stands heads and shoulders above anything else that released on the NES. This game is so timeless that you can absolutely go back to it in 2020 and it plays as well as any other platformer on the market. Given it's #2 on my list, I'd argue it plays even better than the grand majority of them.

3. Celeste - I could never get too into precision platformers, but Celeste managed to completely win me over with its steady, deliberate movements in a sub-genre that I often find suffers from imprecise mechanics. Celeste is a wonderful platformer with some of the best movement around, complete with a wonderful art style, one of the best soundtracks in video game history, a variety of different mechanics introduced as the game progresses, and a touching story to wrap it all together.

4. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
5. Super Mario Odyssey
6. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
7. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
8. The Messenger
9. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
10. Spyro the Dragon

So many amazing games I couldn't fit on my list lol.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Ha, as expected didn't make it half an hour without a bit of a headscratcher! They were originally intended to be one game, but ultimately were released as two separate ones, so to be consistent they are considered two games for this thread. If the community really wanted to dispute this and consider Sonic 3 & Knuckles one title, it's open for discussion, however.

I strongly support Sonic 3 & Knuckles being counted as a single game.

Edit: See this was already resolved. Cool!!

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my partial list, which will change once the list is published:
  • Super Metroid
  • Rayman Origins
  • Super Mario Bros 3
  • Super Mario 64
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Sonic Mania
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
  • Crash Bandicoot 2
  • Shantae and the Pirate Curse
  • Ratcher and Clank

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
  1. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
  2. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
  3. Celeste
  4. Super Mario 3D World
  5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  6. Metroid: Samus Returns
  7. Super Mario 3D Land
  8. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
  9. Super Mario Odyssey
  10. Shovel Knight
  • Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia stands as my favorite platformer of all time. I'm a huge fan of Iga's Castlevania games, and this one is his best work. It's basically how you do Simon's Quest the right way; it has great levels that provide just the right amount of challenge, and the glyph system is a stellar approach to combat in an action platformer. The bosses are also all really engaging to fight with clearly great design overall. The overall visual design of the game is fantastic too. Last thing that I want to mention is that Shanoa is a great protagonist.
  • Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow has the best Metroidvania map design ever. Whenever I play another Metroidvania, it is going to get compared to this game because the way you progress through the map is near perfection; its lock-and-key upgrade system makes perfect sense and the map design rewards exploration in a lot of subtle but effective ways. I also really like the soul system, as it's a fun play on Castlevania's sub-items (though not quite as good as OoE's glyph system). Soma Cruz is also an interesting subversion of Castlevania's protagonists as a whole.
  • Celeste is a game that I did not expect to like as much as I did, because I'm not always into tough-as-nails games. However, Celeste is really special; not only is the platforming super addicting because you're never far from trying again when you die, but it also somehow manages to have an incredibly effective narrative that puts depression/anxiety front and center. The OST is also really something else, and the game is worth playing just to hear it.
BONUS BADGES
  • Best Upgrades: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
  • Best Storytelling: Celeste
  • Best Soundtrack: Celeste
  • Best Mechanics: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
  • Best Level Design: Super Mario 3D World
  • Best Art Design: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
  • Best Boss Design: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

Wiggle

Nov 25, 2019
1) Rayman 2 - The Great Escape
2) Ori and the Will of the Wisps
3) Psychonauts
4) Rayman Legends
5) Rayman Origins
6) Ori and the Blind Forest
7) Prince of Persia the Sands of Time
8) Celeste
9) vvvvvv
10) Jazz Jackrabbit 2

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Super Mario 64
4. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
5. Spyro: Year of the Dragon
6. Rayman Origins
7. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
8. Spyro the Dragon
9. Crash Bandicoot 2: Wrath of Cortex
10. Banjo Tooie

Best Upgrades
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Best Storytelling
Metroid 2

Best Soundtrack
Super Mario Galaxy

Best Mechanics
Mega Man X4

Best Level Design
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Best Art Design
Cuphead

Best Boss Design
Super Mario Galaxy

Some quick thoughts:
Galaxy 2 has quite possibly the second greatest level design of any game I've ever played, behind Silent Hill 2.
Have an extreme preference towards 3D platformers, which should show how amazing Rayman Origins is. The multiplayer in it was a blast.
And Banjo Tooie deserves all of the love in the world by encapsulating what's so magical about collect-a-thons.

Jan 11, 2018
I don't really consider Metroidvanias as platformers, since the main focus... isn't really platforming, so none will be in my list. Same goes for action games that have some platforming elements, but again it isn't really the focus like Mega Man or Ratchet & Clank... even Kirby, as amazing as they are. I really just wanted to focus on games where running and jumping are the main driving force of the game. Also, this is an almost impossible list to order, but I'll try my best!

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  2. Super Mario Galaxy
  3. Super Mario 64
  4. Super Mario 3D World
  5. Donkey Kong Country Returns
  6. Super Mario Bros. 3
  7. Super Mario World
  8. Celeste
  9. Super Meat Boy
  10. Yoshi's Woolly World
Best Storytelling: Celeste
Best Level Design: Donkey Kong Country Returns
Best Art Design: Super Mario Galaxy
Best Soundtrack: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Best Mechanics: Super Mario 64

Leaving out best boss design and best upgrades, since I don't feel those categories stand out at all in my list. I will go back and write my thoughts on all the games when I have some more time!

Ryszard

Apr 7, 2018
OK, let's give it a try. I played (almost) no videogames when I was a kid and I don't play a lot know, so most of the stuff is quite recent and I consider only the top 5 of my list worthy to be in a list like this one. But...

1. Super Mario 3D Word: playing this wonderful game I realized how a good fit it is for a Mario game this kind of 2,5D. I love 3D and 2D Marios, but I think 2D Mario's have been clearly surpassed chez Nintendo and 3D Marios are quite confusing to me, in the sense I don't know exactly how to affront them. Too open, not to focused. But with 3D World, you have the traditional overworld and with linear levels, and also you can enjoy the amazing moveset of a 3D Mario. All the ideas are clearly identifiable in the levels as they are more focused than in a 3D Mario. Then you have the incredible soundtrack and the lovely visuals... I completed with all the characters, once by myself and another with my girlfriend in coop and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had in gaming.

2. CELESTE: I cannot be objective with this one. I played back in 2018, I had just moved to France, no idea of the language, no job, no home... I was extremely scared. While I was living as and AirBnB in a shed in the garden of some family, I couldn't sleep, so I spent the nights of my first week playing CELESTE. And god it helped me... the game is amazing on its own, the level design is unparalleled, the soundtrack wonderful, the visuals lovely... but the story struck me big time (in a platformer!!). It is honestly one of the best games I've ever played and probably the one I will cherish the most.

3. Rayman Legends: it's my favourite game I played on PS Vita. The art, the music (oh, those music-themed levels...), the level design. Everything was perfect in this game. The amount of content was astounding and it was really fun through and through.

4. Super Mario Odyssey: while for me it was a bit of a disappointment at the time, you have to admit this is a gem. It is full of ideas, and although probably it doesn't have enough to cover the hilarious number of moons, it is fun only to move around with Mario. Probably the best moveset ever in a Mario game. Then there's the music... holy cow. And the story! The story in a Mario game! It is really nice and all the feminist touch with Peach and everything at the end is wonderful.

5. Yoshi's Woolly World: one of the most underrated platformers on Wii U. It's a shame it looks like we won't have a Switch port, because this is Yoshi at his finest. The level design is interesting, the art is really cool and the music has lots of charm.

6. OlliOlli: I guess it is a platformer after all. I remember playing it a lot on PS Vita. I discovered the daily runs with this game and the amazing feeling of pulling off a huge combo... and the terrible feeling of falling off in the first staircase. The pixel art was quite horrendous, but I think the art in the sequel is even worse. So I stick with the first game.

7. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: I don't love it as much as other people (although I really want), but it is an amazing piece of art indeed.

8. Spyro 2: it's my favourite memory for my PlayStation. I didn't want to play the remakes so I am not sure if they are worthy by today standards, but I have great memories of it.

9. Super Mario Bros.: well... you have to say it.

10. FEZ: this game is on the 10th position for two reasons: I am not sure if it's legal, and at the time I didn't finish it. But holy moly it is an amazing game. Probably more of a puzzler than platformer but honestly I was struggling to find games at the end of the list so...

BADGES.

Best Upgrades: Super Mario 3D World

Best Storytelling: CELESTE

Best Soundtrack: Super Mario Odyssey

Best Level Design: CELESTE

Best Art Design: Yoshi's Woolly World

Best Boss Design: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
This is such a hard list to put together wow. I tried really hard to not make this a Mario fest and give some rep to other wonderful franchises too. ;;

1. Super Mario 64 - I consider this to be the most important platformer. At the time of it's release, I could not believe what I was playing. Years of 2D platforming foundation ingrained in me...to suddenly be shattered so easily by Nintendo once they introduced that third dimension. I still cannot believe they managed to get it so right on their first try, how? This game is a testament to the genius of Nintendo and a true masterstroke of platforming that really has defined the genre in 3D. I cannot picture any other platformer being as essential to play and experience at least once so you too can know of it's innovation and delightful range of gameplay mechanics.
  2. Super Mario Galaxy - Yet again, Nintendo introduces mechanics that blindside me. The depth and range of ideas here linked to gravity platforming and the free creativity of space is and will always be a delight to play through. As someone who studies Astronomy in life, I could not be more delighted that Nintendo created a landmark 3D Mario platformer in space. I will also mention how fresh the character of Rosalina felt in the Mario series, to see her bittersweet story get revealed piece by piece as a reward the more you played highlights what Nintendo is great at. Letting gameplay be king in order to create and service memorable stories in the video game medium.
  3. Super Mario Bros 3 - Yes, my top three are Mario games because I truly believe that they are the most essential. And the third 2D Mario platformer represents the best of the best in this genre. I never grow tired of it and it introduced me to the joy of video games.
  4. Super Metroid - What I consider to be a perfect game of fine-tuned exploration and progression. You need to play it.
  5. Super Mario Bros - The game that marked the arrival of 2D platformers and made Mario a household name definitely should be recognized as an essential game to experience.
  6. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  7. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  8. Sonic Mania
  9. Shovel Knight
  10. Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Super Mario Odyssey - This is basically the culmination of all of 3D platforming; free movement, awesome camera, and a variety of platforming challenges that allow the most novice player to advance in the game while fulfilling the more experienced players' desires for goals based on both exploration and precision platforming. The story and visuals are fantastic, and New Donk City itself is a perfect storm of great set-pieces, fun high/low exploration, and enjoyable platforming segments. It's essentially a perfect game and one that saved the Mario platforming series for me, which had become stale and, frankly, mediocre, in the post-Super Mario 64 landscape.
  2. Super Mario Bros. 3 - The best of the 2D Mario games, this is a game that wants to give you challenges in a variety that's almost overwhelming. The game pulls out so many tricks in level design that work in concert with a whole bunch of power-ups that it feels fresh all the way to the endgame. Until Odyssey came out, this game was the game that I pointed to as the prime example of Nintendo's brilliance.
  3. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - I just played through it again, and yes, it is this good. Sonic's "was it ever good" detractors fail to recognize the lovely way in which the developers put together classic high-middle-low courses that balance the freedom of speed with the need for precision jumping. It also has that feel of an epic adventure, aided by its diverse level visuals and music. This game probably has the best bonus levels of any of the games on this list as well.
  4. Virtual Boy Wario Land - That this game is still locked to the ill-fated Virtual Boy is a shame. The foreground/background level design brings depth to the gameplay, particularly once the early levels that are meant to help the player become comfortable with the gimmick are completed. The developers play with that design in creative ways, resulting in one of the best exploration-based platformers that has ever been made. The NG+ is also excellent and keeps the game fresh by hiding key treasures cleverly in different places within the levels.
  5. Fez - This game is an onion; layers must be peeled back to reach its core. I went into this game without knowing what secrets it held for me, and my surprise and joy upon finding that there were secrets buried deep beneath its seemingly simple gameplay kept me glued to the game. Each time I'd figure out something new about the world, it would bring the same shock of delight as I felt the first time that I realized that something that seemed mundane or mysterious had a deeper purpose. This is a brilliant, brilliant game in that regard, and the platforming is pretty solid, too!
  6. Bit.Trip Presents: Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - This is the best of the rhythm platformers. Visually, it's delightful. The audio is lovely, as it must be for a game of this nature. Mechanics and obstacle types are layered on one another deep into the game, but nothing ever becomes confusing or too much to handle. Most importantly it feels good. Navigating cleanly through a trap-filled level to the rhythm of the music offers the type of feedback that makes my brain produce dopamine. If your game is good enough to spur the brain to produce happy chemicals, then it certainly belongs on this list.
  7. Rayman Legends - Speaking of rhythm levels, the music levels in this game are on par with those of a game like Runner 2. The non-rhythm levels, though, aren't too shabby themselves, offering enjoyable exploration and demanding timing and accuracy - and often patience. Though its predecessor Rayman Origins had tighter level design, Legends negotiates the "must make levels more open for multiplayer" approach that it takes with presenting a challenge for SP players nicely...and besides, many of the Origins levels are in the game, too, not to mention the online daily challenges that make for fun precision platforming experiences.
  8. Ristar - This is one of the most underrated games around, period. It's a late-era Genesis game that people missed, which is too bad because it is absolutely gorgeous and its OST is wonderful - especially Planet Sonata's 4-1 music, "Intension/Du-Di-Da," which builds layer upon layer as you hit markers in the level until you reach the end-level boss, at which point the full piece plays. It's so gorgeous and wonderful. The platforming itself, in which you use your Stretch Armstrong-like limbs to grab enemies from afar and to catapult and swing yourself around the levels themselves, is incredibly fun and quite demanding, particularly in the late stages of the game. More people should play this all-time-great game.
  9. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x - This sports game is pure platformer. It asks you to time your aerial tricks perfectly for max points and demands exploration. Some of those secret tapes ask a lot of the player's ability to platform with momentum. The balance between speed and accuracy that it takes to collect secret tapes, letters, and items is one triumph; that the game's high score challenges force the player to then focus on negotiating obstacles at the proper angles and with the proper momentum and timing to chain tricks together for massive points, and that it succeeds at this equally as well, is proof that this game deserves its place on any list of great platformers.
  10. Jet Set Radio Future - This is a fantastic 3D platformer in an era where 3D platformers were still trying to find their way. Stylistically, it's excellent, with an insanely good OST and a gorgeous cel-shaded look. The platforming feels wonderful; gaining speed feels great (and the scraping of your skates as you do so is a wonderful audio cue), and the jumps have lots of air underneath them, encouraging the player to try and make some pretty ambitious jumps across gaps or structures. This is still one of the three or four best 3D platformers to ever exist.

Best Upgrades: Ratchet and Clank (2016)

Best Storytelling: Super Mario Galaxy

Best Soundtrack: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Best Level Design: Super Mario Bros. 3

Best Art Design: Cuphead

Best Boss Design: Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition

Last edited:

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I'll limit my list to 1 game a series but one thing I do know is Astro-Bot won't do well enough.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
Time for my favorite game genre along with SRPGs. Will try to add screenshots later, anyway:

1. Ristar (Sega Genesis)
The best way to describe this game is: Imagine if Sonic Team made a game styled like a Super Nintendo game on the Genesis.
Quite possibly my favorite game of all-time. It is an intensely colorful and happy game and delivers a large amount of nostalgia for me. The pixel art on this game is beautiful, in many ways this game pushes the Genesis to limits I didn't knkw it could hit. The soundtrack might be the best of the 16 bit era for me. The game also has high replay value with hidden bonuses and multiple difficulty levels. But what really gets me is the unique level design and environments. One level requires you to basically deliver beer to a bird repeatedly, another you are grabbing things around volcanoes, or ice structures. The key mechanic of grabbing objects and being encouraged to explore works wonderfully. This game is a relatively hidden gem and everyone needs to play it.

2. Shinobi III
Probably has my favorite level in gaming with the ninja surf bosses. I love everything about this game, maybe it could be number 1 depending on the day. I highly recommend the 3ds version in particular, it looks wonderful in 3d.

3. Donkey Kong Country 3
It took everything DKC2 did and made it bigger and also greatly upped the difficulty to boot. I love the Canadian theme, I love the overworld and all the collecting. Imo this is Rare at their peak. They started getting clunky with the collectathons in the N64 era but this game is infinitely replayable to me. If you want a real challenge play it on hardest where there are no midway or kong barrels. One of the toughest SNES games that way.

4. Wario Land 4
Maybe the all-time best level design, everything feels perfectly arranged here. I love all the Wario Land games but what propels this one above the rest is the different difficulty levels (which change MANY things about the game), the scoring system, and the fact that you can actually die. The replay value here is through the roof. Also Wario is just a great character.

5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
The best Mario game ever made.

6. Metroid Fusion
I hope this qualifies. It's easily my favorite Metroid game.

6. Sonic Mania
Objectively the best Sonic game and an all-time classic. What a burst of nostalgia.

7. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis)
This is probably a bit of a hot take but I greatly enjoy this game more than the other early titles. The first level might be my favorite level in any game.

8. Donkey Kong Country 2
Other people will have a lot to say on this I am sure but it's a great game.

9. Kirby's Adventure
Far and away the best NES game.

10. Sonic Triple Trouble
This game alone was worth getting a Game Gear for. There are actually many other good to great Game Gear games (2 Shinobis, a Ristar port, Shining Force, etc...) though.

Best Upgrades - Metroid Fusion
Pretty much any Metroid game qualifies here though

Best Storytelling - Ninja Gaiden Trilogy NES
I enjoy the cinematic cutscenes that still manage to be non-intrusive. Celeste got some consideration here too.

Best Soundtrack - Ristar

Best Mechanics - Ristar

The grabbing mechanic combined with a total lack of time limits made the game a sort of 2d sandbox of exploration.

Best Level Design - Wario Land 4
It's so great someone wrote a giant book about it.

Best Art Design - Ristar
This is purely objective

Best Boss Design - Shinobi III
I am just a big fan of all the bosses in this one.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
1. Super Mario World
2. Mega Man X
3. Mega Man X2
4. Mega Man X3
5. Mega Man X4
6. Mega Man Zero 3
7. Mega Man Zero 4
8. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
9. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
10. Super Metroid

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Do the Metroid Prime games count? I don't see anyone metioning them, but they're Metroidvanias with a buttload of platforming.