• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I hate doing CSS stuff, but I wanted to practice a little CSS. I don't know how much I'm going to finish working on this, but based on the dark theme in the OP I started working on a little something I'd like to call Soft Reset:

srhzujg.png

sr2uiu9b.png

For those who don't quite want to let go, lol.

If there's any interest I may continue working on it. (Or even better, if someone else could work on something like this. :p)

This right here. This is why I clicked on this thread, I knew someone would make this. I'd never use a dark theme, but I just haven't gotten used to the design here, it's a bit too bright. I don't mind the purple but I was hoping someone did this or just alternate light themes. I love the idea of having various themes for the site. Please make this.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I'm constantly tweaking this monstrosity of a custom dark theme.... I'm pretty happy with the header area/breadcrumbs. Tried to find a way to consolidate a lot of that stuff while looking somewhat clean.

FQcBwh6.png

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Made another fix to quoted tweets. I noticed that larger tweets were getting slightly cut-off when quoted so this should be fixed (?). Let me know if anyone see's some wonky stuff with quotes.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate doing CSS stuff, but I wanted to practice a little CSS. I don't know how much I'm going to finish working on this, but based on the dark theme in the OP I started working on a little something I'd like to call Soft Reset:

srhzujg.png

sr2uiu9b.png

For those who don't quite want to let go, lol.

If there's any interest I may continue working on it. (Or even better, if someone else could work on something like this. :p)

Any updates on this?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Something is up with the Notification Usernames. Seems ro be a problem with the site tho, not the theme. The usernames show up twice, once unbolded then bolded.
Edit* Never mind! It's just people without an avatar that their name displays there instead of being blank. Kinda makes sense but it looks strange as hell lol

Last edited:

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Theme updated to fix a couple things with the new 'Top Posters' feature. The number of posts listed in this however, is on the very far right edge and incredibly hard to see right now... This is a site issue so I am going to leave it in hopes that a fix is put in place on the site's end.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
More than ever I love using Iso's theme on top of DarkERA compared to the new NightERA. Too bad I can't use it on my iPhone. :(

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
More than ever I love using Iso's theme on top of DarkERA compared to the new NightERA. Too bad I can't use it on my iPhone. :(
Thanks! I'm glad that this update left DarkERA untouched, less work for me on that front. I am going to start converting my theme to NightERA, however. I'll upload it as a completely separate theme for those who want to continue using the old style. Not sure how long it will take to get a NightERA theme going, it looks like a ton of stuff is busted right now with a straight port of my theme. I'll post an update when I am further along.

Dec 4, 2017
NightERA's purples are too strident. Also, the text boxes are too narrow. I took a look, then switched back to DarkERA after a few seconds.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Just tried the NightERA on both pc and mobile, went back after few seconds lol

It's too black and contrasted. And I'm too used to the layout of the DarkERA. Hopefully you guys won't take out the Dark theme anytime soon :P

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
https://userstyles.org/styles/159679/resetera-custom-nightera

First iteration uploaded. Lots broken. Still working on it :)
Biggest thing is the forum sections scrolling. I haven't fixed the background color on it yet, or added the ability to keep it at the top of the page, so it doesn't scroll with you.

Off to work now, but it should be quiet so I will hopefully get a lot done on this today!

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I'm pretty happy with how the new theme looks. The profile page needs work still but for basic thread browsing/posting it should be pretty close to finalized. Question for people though: on the old dark theme, you could tell when a thread had unread posts based on the resetera icon's color, to the left of the thread title. With the new theme, it displays unread/threads with new posts as having their thread title bolded in the list of threads. I hate this, and have opted to remove the bolding completely. Anyone have suggestions on how to display unread threads now?

If anyone uses my new theme please let me know if you notice any weird things going on. One thing I've noticed is if you click the 'permalink' for a post (the post number) to automatically scroll to that post, with my theme it causes a weird refresh. Not sure how to get around that and I'm not sure why it's happening =/

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I set the theme to NightEra on my phone and it worked for a sec but now everything is blank. I logged in here on my desktop and set it back to DarkEra and it works, but my phone is still just a blank black screen when I goto resetera.com

I cleared everything from my phone in terms of cache/etc. Android FF, no addons.

Anyone getting the same?

Edit: Nevermind, restarted my phone and it went back to default.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Alright I'm pretty happy with how the new theme looks. The profile page needs work still but for basic thread browsing/posting it should be pretty close to finalized. Question for people though: on the old dark theme, you could tell when a thread had unread posts based on the resetera icon's color, to the left of the thread title. With the new theme, it displays unread/threads with new posts as having their thread title bolded in the list of threads. I hate this, and have opted to remove the bolding completely. Anyone have suggestions on how to display unread threads now?

If anyone uses my new theme please let me know if you notice any weird things going on. One thing I've noticed is if you click the 'permalink' for a post (the post number) to automatically scroll to that post, with my theme it causes a weird refresh. Not sure how to get around that and I'm not sure why it's happening =/

It's looking good. A few suggestions/ideas, some which you're already aware of (like the read/unread icon)

• Option to re-add the Read/Unread icons to the left of threads.
  • Option to re-add the "Watched Threads" link at the top userbar.
  • Option to have Pagination numbers always appear instead of only on hover.
  • Set Font (the new theme's font seems thinner and harder to read, might just be me) and Font size.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I feel like I'm very close to being done. Let me know if anyone see's anything way off the mark. I know a few things are messed up still (previously mentioned weird refreshing when click a post number in a thread & 2-factor login screen is a bit messed up atm), but otherwise am pretty content right now.

I'm still trying to determine if I can re-add the read/unread icons to the left, or at least figure out a different way of showing unread threads other than bolding the title. As for the Watched Threads link, I'm not even sure if I can re-add that with just CSS. Either way, I feel like enough people will complain that it will be re-added eventually so I just might wait for the admins to do it ^^.

I might try and resize the page numbers when in a thread-- they're ridiculously big for non-mobile devices.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I honestly like almost all of NightEra, but I just think:

• the colors are kind of garish
  • there are too may distracting "appear on hover" elements
  • there's a weird lack of attention to detail in things like the font size in the user popup menu

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind NightEra's UI at all, especially on mobile. Just swap out the purples from DarkEra and Im good. NightEra's purple is interesting...I like the matted purple more!

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out the weird refreshing when clicking these permalinks happens on default NightEra. Glad it's not something I can fix on my end :D

EQ4OoYw.png

Also at some point today or over the next day or 2 I am going to remove the color choice between purple and orange and just leave purple for NightEra. Too much of a pain in the ass at this point. Orange is probably completely butchered still, haven't looked at it at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all of your hard work Iso.

Your layouts make me browse this site way more than I would have otherwise.

The standard styles have never cut it for me. lol

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried Night Era but gonna go back to Dark Era. I prefer the wider text boxes.

Also my #1 request is still not here: a soft refresh button on mobile. A godsend for data management where the site will only show you whatever new posts happened after you loaded the page for the first time. It also helps a lot when following a fast moving thread too. The one thing the old place had that I miss.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Going to use Night Era on my desktop PC but learned this morning that when using Dark Era on the Wii U Tablet it breaks all topics causing them to show up as blank once you open them up in a new tab. You just get a very big black screen.

Oct 29, 2017
How do you make the text boxes wider? Is it somwsomet that can be done in our settings? Or does it require some plug in? Asking specifically for my tablet.

Dunk

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Mobile User:

The purple is too bright in the Night theme and needs to be muted like the Dark theme

Defeats the purpose of the theme. I want it to be easy on the eyes at night

The bold white letters stand out a little too bright in my opinion as well

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Visually speaking I think this is the best them I've seen:
https://userstyles.org/styles/150319/resetera-dark

I honestly think it was a bad call to go with purple as the site's main color, it's a pretty hard color to implement without it coming off looking bad. The best thing that skin does it change the color scheme to a nice light blue.