• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
January-Thread-of-the-month-2.png

Greetings! I'm sure you read the title and are currently asking yourself multiple questions, some of which may include;

What is the ResetEra thread of the month contest?
How do I participate?
Can penguins actually ice skate?
How can a mod have such great taste in Pokemon?

All your questions and more will be answered below!

ResetEra Thread Of The Month Contest FAQ

What is the ResetEra Thread of the Month Contest?

The ResetEra Thread of the Month Contest is a new recurring monthly event meant to encourage member quality thread making and bring a fun site wide event to look forward to each month.

How does the contest work?

Starting on the first day of each month and ending on the last day of each month, members are encouraged to post a link to any thread on ResetEra that they find to be particularly amusing, informative, high quality, fun, etc. into this thread to nominate them for the contest. These threads should be positive and enjoyable; no ironic nominations please! At the end of the month staff including myself will look over all of the thread nominations and narrow them down to a list of finalists to be voted on by all of you!

What are some criteria that decide if a thread is worthy of becoming a finalist?

Threads that are thought provoking, well written, creative, fun, attract a lot of user engagement and so on are likely finalist candidates. Try to nominate threads that you think have one or more of the above qualities.

How do I nominate a thread?

Simply post the link of the thread you wish to nominate into this thread, along with a short explanation about why you feel the thread deserves to be thread of the month. Please remember to provide an explanation about why you feel it should win. While some conversation is allowed, please try not to drown out the actual nomination posts.

Is there a limit to how many threads I can nominate?

Yes.

Due to the sheer amount of threads created each month there is a limit of ONE (1) thread per category that can be nominated per user for a maximum of THREE (3) nominations total (See below in the FAQ for the list of thread categories). Any subsequent nominations for a given category will be ineligible and only the first nomination will be counted. If you nominate a thread and later decide you wish to nominate a different thread instead, you may freely change your nominated thread at any point during the month by editing your original post.

Can I nominate a thread that was made by myself?

No.

This is to avoid a situation where everyone just uses their thread nominations on their own threads. Please keep an eye out for great threads made by others.

How long does the nomination period last?

The nomination period starts on the first day of the month and ends on the last day of the month.

Which threads are eligible to be nominated?

Any thread on Era created between the first and the last day of the month of are eligible. If a thread was created outside of the specific contest month period it will be ineligible. For example, only threads created between January 1st and January 31st will be eligible to be entered in the January thread of the month contest.

How will threads be voted on?

After the nomination period I, along with other staff members will look at all of the nominated threads, and based on the criteria listed above, decide which of the nominated threads become finalists. Afterwards a separate voting thread will be created and the list of finalists announced for each category! The voting thread will go up within the first week of the the following month and voting will stay open for 2 weeks. For example the finalists from the January thread of the month contest will be announced and the voting thread will open by the end of the first week of February. The voting period then lasts for 2 weeks. The process will repeat each month. On the last week of the following month the results and winners will be announced. To reiterative voting will take place in a separate, dedicated voting thread after the nomination period. Multiple members nominating the same thread in the nomination thread will not increase a threads chances of winning thread of the month.

What are the thread categories that can be nominated and voted on?

There will be 3 categories that users will be able to nominate and vote on;

Gaming Thread of the Month
EtcetEra Thread of the Month
OT Thread of the Month

The finalists will be split into those 3 categories and users will be able to cast one (1) vote for each category. The thread that gets the highest amount of votes for each category will become the winner! A total of three (3) winners, the OP of the winning thread in each category, each month will get a prize!

What do I get if my thread wins thread of the month?

Great question!

Have you ever seen a member with a special tag under their username and wished you had a tag of your own? Tired of only seeing "Member" text under your username? Well you're in luck as the three winners each month will get their very own Era tag! So fancy!

If you don't know what a tag is, it's text that appears directly under your username that is separate from the standard "Member" text every user has (see below).

Screenshot-3.png

Tags are usually handled out on the rare occasion, usually during special events, due to a user making a noteworthy post or any other number of reasons. And if that's not enough, you will also receive 1 month of Era Clear ad-free browsing!

Can I win thread of the month multiple times?

Unfortunately if your thread happens to win in any given contest month, you and your threads will not be eligible to win again in the same year. This is partly to give more members the chance to win and also because a user can only have a single tag at a time. Past winners are still encouraged to create quality threads and nominate threads from other users!

Misc.

If there are any other questions you may have that haven't been answered in the above FAQ please feel free to ask!

Good luck to all who enter!

Time left in the January 2021 thread of the month contest nomination period
Feb 1, 2021 at 2:59 AM

Snow-Banner.png

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Restera is the community that likes to rest. I just got these super comfy bamboo pillows for Christmas.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
This thread was posted at the end of the month, but it was a really well written article (yep I'm gonna call it an article) with a well laid out argument, good examples, and on an important issue.

In fact it was so convincing that at least for a few pages, virtually no one disagreed. A remarkable achievement in itself for era.

www.resetera.com

Colorism in video games (Open spoilers)

Before I start: I just want to make it clear that you can like a character, game, an artist, a publisher, etc. in isolation while still acknowledging that looked at within the greater context, that thing you like might be contributing to the reinforcement of harmful stereotypes or imagery that...

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Neat idea.

I would like to nominate this thread:

www.resetera.com

CDPR is a transphobic company. It's time we stop making excuses for them.

Preface: To avoid the usual suspects I want to start out by saying that you are not being shamed for your purchase of Cyberpunk 2077. If you feel slightly bad about buying the game as a result of the issues being highlighted then, honestly, good. Interfacing with problematic products should...

Very informative. One of the most important threads of the last few months, and features a great community. Lots of great discussion in it as well.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This thread was posted at the end of the month, but it was a really well written article (yep I'm gonna call it an article) with a well laid out argument, good examples, and on an important issue.

In fact it was so convincing that at least for a few pages, virtually no one disagreed. A remarkable achievement in itself for era.

www.resetera.com

Before I start: I just want to make it clear that you can like a character, game, an artist, a publisher, etc. in isolation while still acknowledging that looked at within the greater context, that thing you like might be contributing to the reinforcement of harmful stereotypes or imagery that...
I second this nomination.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Neat idea.

www.resetera.com

Preface: To avoid the usual suspects I want to start out by saying that you are not being shamed for your purchase of Cyberpunk 2077. If you feel slightly bad about buying the game as a result of the issues being highlighted then, honestly, good. Interfacing with problematic products should...

Very informative. One of the most important threads of the last few months, and features a great community. Lots of great discussion in it as well.
I'd second this thread if we can count it even if it's been going for months. It's been the most important gaming related thread of the last year. Kyuuji did an amazing job with it.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

www.resetera.com

+1 for this thread.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neat idea.

www.resetera.com

I second this thread. I'd say it's one of the most important threads of the year in how great the community is and how important the discussion is itself. Kyuuji did an excellent job with it.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
+1 for this.

www.resetera.com

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to nominate the comics thread. I am doing this of my own free will, as they are very nice people who love comics very much and would never force anyone to nominate a thread under threat of exsanguination.

www.resetera.com

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2021 | This is the first time i've realised how big it is!

The Next Batman #1 By Ridley, Derington, Thomas, Kumar, Jenkins, Herbert - Gotham City has always been dangerous—but now, it's downright deadly! Following the tragedy of "A-Day," the mayor allowed the private law enforcement group known as the Magistrate to take over policing so-called mask...

Deleted member 48201

Banned
Sep 29, 2018
I nominate this well written thread posted by celes

www.resetera.com

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
+1 for the Official ResetEra Comics Thread for Comics!

and manga

I would like to nominate the comics thread. I am doing this of my own free will, as they are very nice people who love comics very much and would never force anyone to nominate a thread under threat of exsanguination.

www.resetera.com

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2021 | This is the first time i've realised how big it is!

The Next Batman #1 By Ridley, Derington, Thomas, Kumar, Jenkins, Herbert - Gotham City has always been dangerous—but now, it's downright deadly! Following the tragedy of "A-Day," the mayor allowed the private law enforcement group known as the Magistrate to take over policing so-called mask...

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That seems too much work for a tag.
Most people that make good/great threads already have a tag especially in OT's that mods frequent/popular topics.

Can we get any of the kinds of things that people earn in the Steam shop like Animated Frames, Animated mini-profile backgrounds, Animated profile backgrounds?
32rVoC1.png
RyVXxV4.png

How about animated gif avatars?

store.steampowered.com

Steam Points Shop

Get points for shopping on Steam or by contributing to the Steam Community. Use your points to customize your Steam presence or award fellow members of the community.

Idk if we have the technology to do that in Xenforo, but people have seemed to have wanted gif avatars for the longest time.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

+1 for this thread

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cool idea, shame the criteria doesn't let me nominate my type of favs. The most legendary threads are about green waves representing noise.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico

www.resetera.com

Yeah, I came in here to nominate this one as well. I know that it's technically outside the date, but there was no Thread of the Month Contest for December 2020 :P

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

i second this.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Neat idea.

www.resetera.com

Seconded. This thread has been trying to bring attention to the legitimate issues within CD Projekt Red while everyone else has been artfully sidestepping those same issues while discussing Cyberpunk.

It's also apparently the only safe space on Era for a good chunk of marginalized members (which shouldn't have to be a thing here of all places).

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I would love a historical hall of fame, purely for the thread that predicted Tetris Battle Royale.

EDIT:

Scratch that, I just found The Vault!

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I really appreciate the initiative but.....

dont leave me in suspense! can they or can they not actually ice skate? 🤔

www.resetera.com

Given this thread was made just two days before January and I agree it is a great thread ill allow a one time exception and let it be entered into the January thread of the month contest!
Neat idea.

www.resetera.com

I'd like to start off by saying that the constant hard work Kyuuji has put in for that thread and the bringing of very important issues to light, I, and I'm sure I can also speak for other staff members too, are extreme grateful and appreciative. However Kyuuji's thread was made in mid October well before the January thread creation requirement in the event rules. Due to this the thread will be ineligible to be nominated for the January 2021 thread of the month.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Given this thread was made just two days before January and I agree it is a great thread ill allow a one time exception and let it be entered into the January thread of the month contest!

I'd like to start off by saying that the constant hard work Kyuuji has put in for that thread and the bringing of very important issues to light, I, and I'm sure I can also speak for other staff members too, are extreme grateful and appreciative. However Kyuuji's thread was made in mid October well before the January thread creation requirement in the event rules. Due to this the thread will be ineligible to be nominated for the January 2021 thread of the month.

Hey, no problem. It was worth it to try and nominate anyways.

www.resetera.com

+1 to this. Easily the best thread I read in 2020.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am nominating our 52 Games in 52 Weeks challenge and community thread, specifically for January, because it would be great for recruitment and is a wonderful yearly forum tradition that brings lots of perspective to different games and helped, at least last year, change how I viewed playing, reviewing, and participating in games as a hobby.

www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2021.

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress. How do I take part? Claim a post (you may need two later). Write down each game and your thoughts about each one. In...

Wozzer puts an immense amount of work into making this OP, managing the related community, and publishing collated Game Club reviews on the Site for the challenge as well, and has made great strives to make it a fun and constantly updated challenge year over year. I think having this thread win this month would be great for signal boosting and recruitment this year!

Eligibility Requirements
OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder, for a thread to be eligible it must have been made between January 1st and January 31st.

Lastly this thread is just for nominating threads with a link to said thread, NOT for actual voting. A separate, dedicated voting thread will be made in early February!

Thank you!

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

Thank you to Jack as well as everyone else who is nominating the thread. I really appreciate everyone's positive support and contribution to the thread itself.

Thank you! <3

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Joining the chorus in nominating this wonderful thread from celes.

www.resetera.com

This is the sort of thread that we need more of, where the focus is towards singular issues that affect the entire industry. Not only do they serve as a platform for under-represented users to express their views, it brings issues to the majority that they may find challenging and uncomfortable. It's up there with the sexualized designs and CDPR transphobia threads.

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Just to further clarify, with this thread being the nomination thread and not the voting thread, once a thread is nominated there's little reason for another person to nominate the same thread as there's no actual vote happening and multiple nominations don't increase the threads chances of winning. Once the voting thread is up, then numbers will matter. So all of you here nominating the Colorism thread multiple times, remember to actually participate in the voting thread once it's up in order for your numbers to count!

Oct 27, 2017
Seconding this. I can't think of a better time to make the 52 Games challenge the thread of the month than right at the start of the year! The best part of it as a thread is how centered it is around playing games of any kind, of any length, and from any time. The challenge is a good frame to read about all kinds of games and experiences playing them - honestly, there's more variety in the 52 Games thread than in most, any month of the year.

I am nominating our 52 Games in 52 Weeks challenge and community thread, specifically for January, because it would be great for recruitment and is a wonderful yearly forum tradition that brings lots of perspective to different games and helped, at least last year, change how I viewed playing, reviewing, and participating in games as a hobby.

www.resetera.com

52 Games. 1 Year. 2021.

A thread for people that are trying to play 52 games in a year. Tell us how you're doing and what you are going to play next - claim a post and update us on your progress. How do I take part? Claim a post (you may need two later). Write down each game and your thoughts about each one. In...

Wozzer puts an immense amount of work into making this OP, managing the related community, and publishing collated Game Club reviews on the Site for the challenge as well, and has made great strives to make it a fun and constantly updated challenge year over year. I think having this thread win this month would be great for signal boosting and recruitment this year!

Edit: aaand I just read Vulpix' message above. I'll be back for the voting thread!

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017

www.resetera.com

+1 for this thread too

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK

www.resetera.com

It's this one.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Can people also post in this thread to applaud the initiative, without actually nominating a thread?

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

www.resetera.com

+1 for the Official ResetEra Comics Thread for Comics!

and manga

This.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I nominate this thread for the unique social commentary brought by its OP:

www.resetera.com

Friendship ended with PogChamp, now I am...

Thanks to some absolute Qanon shithead who thinks fomenting violence against the government is a good idea, I've been banned off Twitch. Even though I love the sentiment and energy behind the emote itself, I don't really want to rep this dudes face anymore. But what's next? Y'all decide, both my...

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Last edited:

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
I would like to nominate this little thread, asking for tips as a newbie to Sekiro:

www.resetera.com

Playing Sekiro for the first time - Any tips?

Hey Everybody, I just picked up Sekiro for the 1st time. I have played Demon Souls on ps5 already and got recommended this game by so many great people. The big issue is, I am having severe difficulties progressing, I have no problems going through Dark Souls or Demon Souls, but this game for...

Rationale: This is a notoriously challenging and yet broadly popular game. In this thread, in post after post, we were simply treated to a lot of helpful and friendly advice for how to get the most from the game. Veterans picked up some things they'd missed, and newcomers like myself were assisted to get themselves a toe-hold. Therefore I'm nominating the thread, as being both informative and collegiate, and the OP from Reigning Empire, as having successfully initiated an open and productive discussion.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.