• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
2-February-Thread-of-the-Month.png

Greetings! I'm sure you read the title and are currently asking yourself multiple questions, some of which may include;

What is the ResetEra thread of the month contest?
How do I participate?
Can penguins actually ice skate?
How can a mod have such great taste in Pokemon?

All your questions and more will be answered below!

ResetEra Thread Of The Month Contest FAQ

What is the ResetEra Thread of the Month Contest?

The ResetEra Thread of the Month Contest is a new recurring monthly event meant to encourage member quality thread making and bring a fun site wide event to look forward to each month.

How does the contest work?

Starting on the first day of each month and ending on the last day of each month, members are encouraged to post a link to any thread on ResetEra that they find to be particularly amusing, informative, high quality, fun, etc. into this thread to nominate them for the contest. These threads should be positive and enjoyable; no ironic nominations please! At the end of the month staff including myself will look over all of the thread nominations and narrow them down to a list of finalists to be voted on by all of you!

What are some criteria that decide if a thread is worthy of becoming a finalist?

Threads that are thought provoking, well written, creative, fun, attract a lot of user engagement and so on are likely finalist candidates. Try to nominate threads that you think have one or more of the above qualities.

How do I nominate a thread?

Simply post the link of the thread you wish to nominate into this thread, along with a short explanation about why you feel the thread deserves to be thread of the month. Please remember to provide an explanation about why you feel it should win. While some conversation is allowed, please try not to drown out the actual nomination posts.

Is there a limit to how many threads I can nominate?

Yes.

Due to the sheer amount of threads created each month there is a limit of ONE (1) thread per category that can be nominated per user for a maximum of THREE (3) nominations total (See below in the FAQ for the list of thread categories). Any subsequent nominations for a given category will be ineligible and only the first nomination will be counted. If you nominate a thread and later decide you wish to nominate a different thread instead, you may freely change your nominated thread at any point during the month by editing your original post.

Can I nominate a thread that was made by myself?

No.

This is to avoid a situation where everyone just uses their one thread nomination on their own threads. Please keep an eye out for great threads made by others.

How long does the nomination period last?

The nomination period starts on the first day of the month and ends on the last day of the month.

Which threads are eligible to be nominated?

Any thread on Era created between the first and the last day of the month of are eligible. If a thread was created outside of the specific contest month period it will be ineligible. For example, only threads created between January 1st and January 31st will be eligible to be entered in the January thread of the month contest.

How will threads be voted on?

After the nomination period I, along with other staff members will look at all of the nominated threads, and based on the criteria listed above, decide which of the nominated threads become finalists. Afterwards a separate voting thread will be created and the list of finalists announced for each category! The voting thread will go up within the first week of the the following month and voting will stay open for 2 weeks. For example the finalists from the January thread of the month contest will be announced and the voting thread will open by the end of the first week of February. The voting period then lasts for 2 weeks. The process will repeat each month. On the last week of the following month the results and winners will be announced. To reiterative voting will take place in a separate, dedicated voting thread after the nomination period. Multiple members nominating the same thread in the nomination thread will not increase a threads chances of winning thread of the month.

What are the thread categories that can be nominated and voted on?

There will be 3 categories that users will be able to nominate and vote on;

Gaming Thread of the Month
EtcetEra Thread of the Month
OT Thread of the Month

The finalists will be split into those 3 categories and users will be able to cast one (1) vote for each category. The thread that gets the highest amount of votes for each category will become the winner! A total of three (3) winners, the OP of the winning thread in each category, each month will get a prize!

What do I get if my thread wins thread of the month?

Great question!

Have you ever seen a member with a special tag under their username and wished you had a tag of your own? Tired of only seeing "Member" text under your username? Well you're in luck as the three winners each month will get their very own Era tag! So fancy!

If you don't know what a tag is, it's text that appears directly under your username that is separate from the standard "Member" text every user has (see below).

Tags are usually handled out on the rare occasion, usually during special events, due to a user making a noteworthy post or any other number of reasons. And if that's not enough, you will also receive 1 month of Era Clear ad-free browsing!

Can I win thread of the month multiple times?

Unfortunately if your thread happens to win in any given contest month, you and your threads will not be eligible to win again in the same year. This is partly to give more members the chance to win and also because a user can only have a single tag at a time. Past winners are still encouraged to create quality threads and nominate threads from other users!

Misc.

If there are any other questions you may have that haven't been answered in the above FAQ please feel free to ask!

Good luck to all who enter!

Time left in the February 2021 thread of the month contest nomination period
Mar 1, 2021 at 2:59 AM

--------------
Previous Thread of the Month Contest Threads:

ResetEra Thread of the Month Contest Nomination Thread - January 2021

February-Bottom-Era-Banner.png

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to nominate Neoxon's thread on the gaming side of the forum. I think the thread deserves to be nominated since it will have an active presence throughout the entire month and because of the effort the OP is putting into the thread (it will be updated every day with a new character to discuss). I feel like it will be a very educational thread while also giving us a chance to celebrate black characters in games - even if the industry still has a long way to go in terms of representation.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Nominating celes' thread on colorism in games. Thorough and informative exploration of the issues for the community, we need more like it
www.resetera.com

Colorism in video games (Open spoilers)

Before I start: I just want to make it clear that you can like a character, game, an artist, a publisher, etc. in isolation while still acknowledging that looked at within the greater context, that thing you like might be contributing to the reinforcement of harmful stereotypes or imagery that...

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Nominating celes' thread on colorism in games. Thorough and informative exploration of the issues for the community, we need more like it
www.resetera.com

Colorism in video games (Open spoilers)

Before I start: I just want to make it clear that you can like a character, game, an artist, a publisher, etc. in isolation while still acknowledging that looked at within the greater context, that thing you like might be contributing to the reinforcement of harmful stereotypes or imagery that...
You might want to see the voting thread for last months contest. You'll be able to vote for that thread (and others) here!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Nominating:

- Gaming:
www.resetera.com

A Celebration of Black Characters in Games

UPDATE: If you're reading this more recently, keep in mind that this thread was originally written long before the Activision Blizzard controversy came to light. Had I written this now, none of the ActiBlizz characters would be featured. Fuck Bobby Kotick & fuck Activision Blizzard. Happy Black...

- Etc:
www.resetera.com

“I’m seeing double here! Four Krustys!” is the perfect joke in televaiion

It was all downhill after this moment Six simple words, humorously phrased and delivered with impeccable timing. I think my favorite part of this joke is the sincerity behind it. He really is seeing double. He should probably see a doctor. Not Doctor Nick, though. Not only that, but the...

- OT:
www.resetera.com

PC Gaming ERA | February 2021 - WE'RE THE PHANTOM THIEVES ON STEAM OT

PC Gaming Threads PC Gaming February 2021 Release Highlights Comet 64 - Uzzy - Out 5th February Comet 64 is a programming puzzle game. The year is 1984. All you got is a Comet 64 home computer and the operator's manual it came with. Read the documentation, learn how to operate and programme...

Last edited:

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nominating the octopus can thread from Etc because it's wholesome!

www.resetera.com

Should I buy the can of octopus? (Update: Bought can of octopus) (Update 5: I turned the can of octopus into...octo roll!)

Once upon a dream I was perusing an isle at Safeway for some SPAM when I chanced upon a can of octopus! (it was situated right near the SPAM, which is really what I was after, you see) I was surprised to find this treasure but I reasoned that people are canning everything these days so it really...

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Gonna nominate styl_oh's LTTP Final Fantasy II thread - a cross between a gonzo journalist (Hunter S Thompson) writing style and finding stuff to appreciate about a game that's (arguably unfairly) maligned by the fanbase.

www.resetera.com

LTTP: Final Fantasy II | Fear and Loathing in Palamecia

One hell of a king-christ hangover... jesus, was it a dream or just an overdose of paranoia over the Empire? Black riders, untouchable in their elysian meadows... there was a guy with me, handy with the sword, but he's gone now too... I was gone, couldn't finish telling you about that other...

OP
OP
Nilou

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Just 2 days left in the month to get in your February thread nominations!

Status
Not open for further replies.