• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Also subjected to the avatar hellscape. Can't find how to disable it.

Last edited:

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
It's definitely not this. Here's a screenshot of a small top section of my current Image Options list:

eraimageoptionsq1jyu.png

That's me at the bottom - Firefox 89.0 on Linux - on my (cropped out) fixed IP address in the UK. This is the only device I regularly have logged in, probably ever. I do not log in on mobile devices, proxys or anything like that.

As you can see, there are all sorts of random devices - I have no IOS devices, while I do have a Win10 I don't use it for Era, I certainly don't use Edge and so on.

I nslookup'ed these few IPs just to see:

Code:
126.205.65.80.in-addr.arpa      name = 80-65-205-126.ljusnet.se.
252.162.13.86.in-addr.arpa      name = cpc112695-nmal22-2-0-cust763.19-2.cable.virginm.net.
230.228.9.104.in-addr.arpa      name = 104-9-228-230.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net.
188.55.168.66.in-addr.arpa      name = 066-168-055-188.biz.spectrum.com.
77.65.91.97.in-addr.arpa        name = 097-091-065-077.res.spectrum.com.
Sweden, Virginmedia UK, SBCGlobal is AT&T USA?, spectrum also USA? These are all NOT ME 😁

Definitely something weird going on here! The complete list is HUGE, at least 20 screens worth of scrolling. All sorts of random devices and IP addresses.
I was still having this issue up until a few days ago and now Image Options isn't available to me anymore. For what it's worth, I'm using Chrome mobile on Android.

Anyone else had image options just disappear?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what even is image options supposed to be showing? i was getting a bunch on browsers and devices i wasn't using, including edge and firefox on windows and android.

Deleted member 99377

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
Somewhat related, the Image options menu is filled with dozens of different connections and many of them are from devices I don't own and have never owned. Is the menu bugged or are random people accessing my account? I deleted all the connections and changed password a few days ago but the menu has filled up again.

Also seeing the connections / devices / IP addresses (!) of other random users as described above.

Yeah, I can say with confidence the image options list is showing information from other users. I see Opera user agents in here and I haven't used an Opera browser (lol) in over 10 years.

Hold up. Era has been leaking IPs for weeks and only now the feature is being taken down? No admin statement yet? Should I be worried?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone, apologies for the confusion. Image Options was accidentally disabled while we were looking into some settings but it's back up now. The tech team deployed a hotfix for a problem earlier today where random devices were appearing in the panel and that should no longer be happening. Due to time zones and work schedules they haven't had a chance to make a full post about it in here yet but that will be coming tonight.

Edit: Unfortunately the relevant tech staff has had a personal emergency that really can't wait, so that post may be delayed by a day or two. The actual problems have been fixed though. Sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
Sorry for not posting this explanation sooner. As noted a fix has already been deployed, but a fault was discovered in Image Options, which resulted in functionally random browser/device entries showing up for the wrong user.

This was triggered after the recent upgrade to the core forum software, but took an unexpected amount of time to diagnose. This was due to the fault being non-deterministic and requiring convoluted circumstances to trigger.

The fix we deployed will prevent this from occurring, and as part of the cleanup, all the device records since the site upgrade were wiped. We apologize for the confusion and inconvenience.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I don't know what the hell has happened to this site whilst browsing on my iPhone 12 Pro Max but good god if it doesn't suck in the past couple of days - it's randomly started zooming out on thread level, but when I start typing a message (such as this one) it zooms in so much so that the Reply box doesn't fit on screen in Portrait mode and as such just jumps to various parts of the page, depending on where I am in the Reply box.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
So, ever since the last big update I've noticed this odd behavior in Firefox (haven't tried in other browsers) where it seems that resetera pages that I've viewed in a tab seem to just refuse to garbage collect until I either close the tab or restart the browser. This can cause memory usage to get pretty high when reading longer threads. It's not clear if this is a browser bug or a resetera one, but the behavior is really concerning nonetheless.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Sorry for not posting this explanation sooner. As noted a fix has already been deployed, but a fault was discovered in Image Options, which resulted in functionally random browser/device entries showing up for the wrong user.

This was triggered after the recent upgrade to the core forum software, but took an unexpected amount of time to diagnose. This was due to the fault being non-deterministic and requiring convoluted circumstances to trigger.

The fix we deployed will prevent this from occurring, and as part of the cleanup, all the device records since the site upgrade were wiped. We apologize for the confusion and inconvenience.
Thanks for the explanation. Image Options seems to be working as it should!

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is just me or not but resetera frequently takes a long time to load and/or hangs when loading. It'll happen randomly throughout the day and is not something I experience in any other website. This is over wifi on a good connection using safari mobile.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Any reason why the built-in Firefox tracking protection (not adblock) breaks image embeds? Still seeing strings like "240370474_4826129487417207_173533043967112519_n.jpg" instead of the actual image. I understand why twitter embeds will break, but I thought image embeds were natively hosted.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Browsing on my Samsung tablet on Android 11 I notice the site behaving a bit different since the last few weeks.
It looks like the mobile view on first glance (like it used to be), but I'm suddenly able to scroll to an empty space to the right. It seems the ad above each thread expands the page horizontally?
Search function is behaving strangely since this. I can search for something, but I don't actually see what I'm typing - the bar is missing, the other search options like "search in thread" or "search for titles only" etc, are normally visible and usable though.
On my Android 11 phone everything's fine.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing a post that says "You are ignoring content by this member. Show ignored content" cause yes, I ignored that member, but the content of their post is also right there below that message. My settings selection is "Fully remove all traces of ignored members." So something there ain't right.

[Edit] Oh I figured it out, it was the latest post in the thread, and when you click a thread it goes to the latest post. And shows it even if it's from an ignored user, apparently. When I clicked back a page then forward a page and the post hash was no longer in the URL then the post disappeared like it was supposed to.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
This happens now and again for a while, but I just noticed it again just now.

Threads will sometimes just "disappear".

I was on my phone earlier and saw a thread in the Gaming forum that I wanted to reply to (this one, if it makes any difference), but I didn't want to do it on my phone because of the fiddly formatting. So when I went to my desktop a little later, I went skimming through the first few pages of threads, going back well before the time that I saw the thread on my phone, but it just... wasn't there. I went through it three or four times and couldn't see it. But then I did a Search, and there it was, right at the top of the list. And had only been replied to thirty minutes before, which means it probably would still have been on page one, and definitely no further than page two. But I'd swear it wasn't there at all until I searched for it by name.

I'd brush it off as a fluke, but I remember it happening before, a few months ago maybe. I don't remember the specifics.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Over the last few days random links I click on here on my phone redirect to various ad or malware sites, just using Chrome Android. Forum links, thread links, page links, etc. Y'all sure the forum hasn't been compromised with something?

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Can anyone help? I somehow switched to desktop while my phone was unlocked in my pocket and I can't figure out how to get back to mobile

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Many of us are having this issue, no word on a fix.

For me it's my iPad, and by turning to landscape mode it fixes it. Still annoying as I generally use my iPad in portrait mode except when watching videos.
Damn thanks for the info. I'm surprised there isn't any way to force which format you're on.

Arkham

Nov 12, 2017
Is there an ETA on when the ad space template bug will be fixed? It's been a few weeks and is really irritating reading the malformed display on my tablet (S7+) vs my phone. Mobile is fine, but the ad container is fucked.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
This happens now and again for a while, but I just noticed it again just now.

Threads will sometimes just "disappear".

I was on my phone earlier and saw a thread in the Gaming forum that I wanted to reply to (this one, if it makes any difference), but I didn't want to do it on my phone because of the fiddly formatting. So when I went to my desktop a little later, I went skimming through the first few pages of threads, going back well before the time that I saw the thread on my phone, but it just... wasn't there. I went through it three or four times and couldn't see it. But then I did a Search, and there it was, right at the top of the list. And had only been replied to thirty minutes before, which means it probably would still have been on page one, and definitely no further than page two. But I'd swear it wasn't there at all until I searched for it by name.

I'd brush it off as a fluke, but I remember it happening before, a few months ago maybe. I don't remember the specifics.

Something like this is happening to me now with the Shang-Chi spoiler thread (open spoilers for Shang-Chi in the linked thread, of course):

www.resetera.com

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings |Spoiler OT| Marvel Combat Spoiler - Entertainment - OT

Shang-Chi must confront the past he thought he left behind when he is drawn into the web of the mysterious Ten Rings organization. Directed by Destin Daniel Cretton Written by Dave Callaham Original Score by Joel P. West Cinematography by Bill Pope Action Choreography by Brad Allan Simu Liu...

When someone posts in it, it doesn't appear at the top of the thread list. In fact I can't find it in the thread list at all. I have to search for it, and the search engine doesn't find the actual latest post - it's stuck on thinking the last post was Thursday. And then when I enter the thread, it doesn't take me to my last read page, it takes me to the op (but 'Jump to New' works fine). It's very weird.

I've checked a few times now and I don't have the thread or the thread creator on ignore

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Would it be possible to add an Auto option to Light/Dark Mode?
A lot of other sites are already using it and depending on the setting I use on my device it's something I really like.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I'm having an issue on iOS (iPad specifically) where pages load in very small and zoomed out, not always but most of the time. Here are some screenshots of what it looks like.

Normal

eLrk3rF.jpg

Zoomed out

lgSe5jd.jpg
It's been a month since myself and other users reported this bug (extremely small text on mobile). Anyone have any ideas on what's causing it and whether a fix is possible?

darksider321

Dec 8, 2020
Sorry if this seems unrelated to tech issues but I just want to know about this question. Right now, I have made 100 posts and my account is longer than 90 days but it seems I cannot seem to post threads. Is there some additional rule that i don't know or is there a time limit when it comes to activating this feature of making threads?

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
Hi, I have the issue that I am constantly getting logged out and I have to log in again.

It happens periodically, not sure when exactly, but after some time I am logged out. It's REALLY annoying.

I have checked my cookie preferences, my cookie manager has resetera set to keep, I set resetera as a favourite in my ad blocker so I can support you guys and so it won't interfere, but it STILL happens.

Other sites are not logging me out, despite the ad blocker being active, for example.

I am using Safari 14.1.2 on macOS BigSur. I will try now to delete all resetera files in the browser cache, maybe this will help...

UPDATE - many hours later: I am still logged in!!! OMG!!! Looks like deleting the browser cache did indeed help. Will keep this post updated!

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
This is what I get when trying to input spoiler tag via insert function:

[ SPOILER="asdf"][/SPOILER]

It should be like this - [ SPOILER]asdf[/SPOILER]
It's not a bug. The part between quotes serves to indicate what type of spoiler it is. For example,

Code:
[spoiler="Ending spoilers for the season finale!"]OMG I did not expect John to die like that, how crazy was that[/spoiler]

Will render as:

OMG I did not expect John to die like that, how crazy was that

The instructions on the button are clear. It says "enter spoiler title", and explains, If you would like the 'Spoiler' button to show a title that hints at its content, enter your text here. To avoid having a title, leave the text box empty.

It's not a bug. The part between quotes serves to indicate what type of spoiler it is. For example,

Code:
[spoiler="Ending spoilers for the season finale!"]OMG I did not expect John to die like that, how crazy was that[/spoiler]

Will render as:

OMG I did not expect John to die like that, how crazy was that

The instructions on the button are clear. It says "enter spoiler title", and explains, If you would like the 'Spoiler' button to show a title that hints at its content, enter your text here. To avoid having a title, leave the text box empty.
Ah, thank you for the explanation Morrigan!

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the mobile version of the site. iOS 14.8, iPhone 12 Pro Max.

If I quote multiple posts to respond to multiple people, I'll "reply" them all into the text field first. However when I answer one, and then go to input text after the NEXT quote, it deletes part of my first response when I press Return to make some space.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the ad thread but maybe it should be here? Using Chrome on Android on my tablet causes the top ad to stretch beyond the screen borders

C1sDkmw.jpg

srxEGMl.jpg

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of months back the site changed to desktop view and I've never been able to change it back to mobile view for some reason. Browsing from Safari on an iPhone 11 Pro Max. The only workaround I've found is to browse in private mode, but that's really inconvenient because it signs me out every time I leave the app and the page refreshes. Any ideas?

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
A couple of months back the site changed to desktop view and I've never been able to change it back to mobile view for some reason. Browsing from Safari on an iPhone 11 Pro Max. The only workaround I've found is to browse in private mode, but that's really inconvenient because it signs me out every time I leave the app and the page refreshes. Any ideas?
Many of us are having similar issues on mobile. So far no word on a fix.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Why is there a giant red border at the top of my iPhone on the mobile site? Is this an iPhone thing?

never noticed this until just now

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to get threads on iPad Safari to display like they do on mobile, with usernames above posts, and post content taking up the full screen width?

There can be a lot of wasted space with usernames / avatars displayed on the left.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Hey Tech Crew, can you add YouTube Clips to the media thing so we can see these embedded in the threads?

Like this.

youtube.com

✂️ Texture Filtering

10 seconds · Clipped by Sangral · Original video "Death Stranding Director's Cut PS5: The Digital Foundry Tech Review" by Digital Foundry