• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

less

Oct 25, 2017
DownUnderCoder The issue has persists subsequent to Cache clearance:

PNVz5IK.png

Sometimes, in the dialog box texts and/or images would flicker and at times vanish as the cursor is moved around within as it changes from Pointed cursor to Typing cursor. Hope the information helps.

Does it happen with another browser? Try disabling your extensions if it doesn't.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Try updating your graphics drivers. That isn't anything this site would cause, but would be something on your end that is very challenging to troubleshoot

I checked and they are up to date.

Does it happen with another browser? Try disabling your extensions if it doesn't.

Interestingly enough, it happens less often when I am on the light theme and I cannot recall it being a problem on Chrome where I have same extensions (actually more) than on Edge which is just H264ify and uBlock Origins. Chrome chews through my RAM and so I moved away from it when browsing era. But I will see if it makes any difference.

snesiscool

Feb 15, 2018
I just got a new phone (Galaxy S20+) and the site icon doesn't show up when adding a shortcut using Firefox. The icon does show up when using Chrome and on my old phone (LG V30) using Firefox.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
There's a weird bug with the /unread url for a thread failing to actually redirect to the new posts if it's been "long enough" since thread was last viewed. Instead it goes to the OP, on page 1, and user needs to click the "Jump to new" button (which has a slightly different url of /unread?new=1 that then works). This seems to happen after about 4 weeks? It happened with me loading this thread, with the newest post being Sep 27th. Unfortunately I don't remember if this is actually the first unread post for me personally. It is particularly obvious when an old thread in my watched threads is (necro)bumped, there the new posts are very clear but the normal thread list's /unread url does not redirect to them properly and a button-click is required. If I manually edit a ?new=1 on to the url, it works first time - so maybe I can eventually make a tampermonkey script or something if no fix is forthcoming, though I prefer not to run such things.

Hopefully that's enough detail to investigate and perhaps fix! Anyone else notice this behaviour?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
There's a weird bug with the /unread url for a thread failing to actually redirect to the new posts if it's been "long enough" since thread was last viewed. Instead it goes to the OP, on page 1, and user needs to click the "Jump to new" button (which has a slightly different url of /unread?new=1 that then works). This seems to happen after about 4 weeks? It happened with me loading this thread, with the newest post being Sep 27th. Unfortunately I don't remember if this is actually the first unread post for me personally. It is particularly obvious when an old thread in my watched threads is (necro)bumped, there the new posts are very clear but the normal thread list's /unread url does not redirect to them properly and a button-click is required. If I manually edit a ?new=1 on to the url, it works first time - so maybe I can eventually make a tampermonkey script or something if no fix is forthcoming, though I prefer not to run such things.

Hopefully that's enough detail to investigate and perhaps fix! Anyone else notice this behaviour?
I think everyone has this, and I think it's been confirmed as not being a bug.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I reported this bug quite a while ago and was told to clear my browser cache to fix it. Now, after the cleared cache, along with TWO full system drive wipes and complete Windows 10 reinstalls, I give you:

Windows 10 v2004
Microsoft Edge latest version
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti w/ current drivers
Monitor running at 3840x2160 with DPI scaling set to 175% (this is probably the culprit, and is a completely normal use case for running 4K displays)

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
I constantly get this at the bottom of the page after ~20 seconds of visiting in every thread, started happening a couple of days ago (using Firefox 81.0.1 on desktop)

OzV83hE.jpeg
I get the same issue on Firefox, version 81.0.2 on macOS. I've tried disabling all of my extensions, but I still get the issue. When the notice appears, I usually have to reload the page to post as well.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why this is, but apparently you can totally block text formatting via script/asset blocking. That means you can, for instance, completely prevent ALL bold text from showing up. I've had this issue on Firefox for months, across multiple browser and Windows updates. For a while, I also had no ability to see/do italics, because I was blocking some random asset to lower the load on my CPU. Presumably,

This tells me that the text formatting is not necessarily a simple CSS application, which is incredibly stupid and probably contributes to the site using WAY too many scripts for what it does.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
I'm not sure if this is a bug or some kind of wackiness with my browser, but tweets are not loading for me on this site, and only this site. It makes some threads unreadable. I use Firefox and it's updated to the newest version, whatever that is. Don't seem to have the same issue on Chrome, but I don't like Chrome. Normally I don't use any adblocker on this site and it still happens. I've even tried turning the adblocker on and fiddling with various settings on it with no luck. I'm not exactly a tech person, but hopefully this post makes sense anyway.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if this is a bug or some kind of wackiness with my browser, but tweets are not loading for me on this site, and only this site. It makes some threads unreadable. I use Firefox and it's updated to the newest version, whatever that is. Don't seem to have the same issue on Chrome, but I don't like Chrome. Normally I don't use any adblocker on this site and it still happens. I've even tried turning the adblocker on and fiddling with various settings on it with no luck. I'm not exactly a tech person, but hopefully this post makes sense anyway.
Did you turn off enhanced tracking protection on this site?

That said, it might be the plugin they're using to embed Tweets that's the problem. Stuff like this has happened on a few other Xenforo based sites I frequent.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Did you turn off enhanced tracking protection on this site?

That said, it might be the plugin they're using to embed Tweets that's the problem. Stuff like this has happened on a few other Xenforo based sites I frequent.
Just tried that. I tried various combinations of turning on and off the enhanced tracking protection on this site and on Twitter. No dice. I also tried the same thing on my wife's computer with the same result, so I can't be the only one this is happening to. I should also mention that this is a recent thing, like within the past week or so.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Not sure if this is the right place to ask about this...

On mobile, some topics have larger title text size than others, any way to fix this?
Screenshot-20201101-104250.png

Seem to be based on thread activity popularity!

Deleted member 53692

user requested account closure
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
France
Hello!
I can't find any "delete my account" option?! Am I looking at the wrong place? Does it exist?
I don't know where to ask. I used the contact form, but no answer received.
Thanks!

It's been more than a month now since my first request with "contact us" form.
Since my real name is tied to the account with the mail adress, you have to provide a way to easily delete my account or untie everything, by RGPD (i'm living in France). You're even already technically outlaw, since you have a maximum of 1 month to answer that kind of request.
Please, do something. At least answer your mails.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
This is somewhere between a bug and a feature request. It will fix a problem that I've seen a few times.

Background:

A link to a thread on ResetEra looks like the following:

/threads/resetera-tech-thread-5-24-19-site-update-report-bugs-here.118789

The only important part of the URL is the number at the end. So a link like:

/threads/coolest-thread-ever.118789

will link to the same thread as the first link, because of the 118789.

In other words, a link to a ResetEra thread looks like the following:

<any text>.threadNumber

Problem:

When a user or visitor wants to share a link to a ResetEra thread with a long thread title in an environment where there are character limits, it can be a problem.

For example, in GiantBomb chat recently, someone tried to link to the CDPR transphobia thread which has a rather long title, but because of the GiantBomb chat's character limits, the link was truncated, cutting off the number at the end of the link, thus making the link invalid. I had to step into the chat and paste a link I altered to make it work.

But most ResetEra users and visitors don't know and aren't expected to know the mechanism for shortening ResetEra links for sending in environments with character limits.

In addition, some Internet users are trained to believe that long URLs can be truncated and still work. (e.g. long URLs from Google searches or Amazon have referral and other data that can easily be truncated and still be valid.) This may lead people to believe that they can paste a ResetEra link into an environment that will truncate the link and expect it to work. (Either that, or they may not care, or may not notice that the link was actually truncated.)

Possible solution:

Can you make it so that the important number is at the beginning of the URL, like:

threadNumber.<any text>

and make ResetEra thread URLs look like:

/threads/118789.resetera-tech-thread-5-24-19-site-update-report-bugs-here

Or perhaps for backwards compatibility reasons (so that old links to ResetEra threads will still work) maybe make new ResetEra links something like:

<any text>.threadNumber.<any text>

and make ResetEra thread URLs look like

/threads/t.118789.resetera-tech-thread-5-24-19-site-update-report-bugs-here

which would also successfully match with the current ResetEra links?

Why this will be beneficial:

With the proposed change, a ResetEra link can be accidentally truncated and have a very high chance of it still working.

This change will also align ResetEra links with some users' expectations that a link can be truncated and still at least kinda work.

Thanks for your time!

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
This is somewhere between a bug and a feature request. It will fix a problem that I've seen a few times.

Background:

<any text>.threadNumber

Problem:

When a user or visitor wants to share a link to a ResetEra thread with a long thread title in an environment where there are character limits, it can be a problem.

For example, in GiantBomb chat recently, someone tried to link to the CDPR transphobia thread which has a rather long title, but because of the GiantBomb chat's character limits, the link was truncated, cutting off the number at the end of the link, thus making the link invalid. I had to step into the chat and paste a link I altered to make it work.

But most ResetEra users and visitors don't know and aren't expected to know the mechanism for shortening ResetEra links for sending in environments with character limits.

In addition, some Internet users are trained to believe that long URLs can be truncated and still work. (e.g. long URLs from Google searches or Amazon have referral and other data that can easily be truncated and still be valid.) This may lead people to believe that they can paste a ResetEra link into an environment that will truncate the link and expect it to work. (Either that, or they may not care, or may not notice that the link was actually truncated.)

Possible solution:

Can you make it so that the important number is at the beginning of the URL, like:

threadNumber.<any text>

Or perhaps for backwards compatibility reasons (so that old links to ResetEra threads will still work) maybe make new ResetEra links something like:

With the proposed change, a ResetEra link can be accidentally truncated and have a very high chance of it still working.

This change will also align ResetEra links with some users' expectations that a link can be truncated and still at least kinda work.

Thanks for your time!
I agree with you that, from the outside, there doesn't appear to be a reason for the text before the number. I think they would have to change the URL structure beyond what you're proposing to make it shorter though. I know I can cut out anything starting from ? on URLs because I've gathered it's extra data for the server, but I would in no way know that I could cut out part of the URL and it still work. That's antithetical to how websites work now and from a UX perspective would be a lot of work for little gain.

Just make it resetera.com/<section>/<number> if changes are to be made. Shorter and easier to share.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I agree with you that, from the outside, there doesn't appear to be a reason for the text before the number. I think they would have to change the URL structure beyond what you're proposing to make it shorter though. I know I can cut out anything starting from ? on URLs because I've gathered it's extra data for the server, but I would in no way know that I could cut out part of the URL and it still work. That's antithetical to how websites work now and from a UX perspective would be a lot of work for little gain.

Just make it resetera.com/<section>/<number> if changes are to be made. Shorter and easier to share.

You make great points. I should say that I was trying to put myself in the shoes of a "typical Internet user" and I just assumed that most haven't realized that the stuff they can usually cut out of a URL is specifically after the ?. But even still, that's not a foolproof strategy, as some websites do put important data after the ?. Though they also usually put the most important data first, something like searchengine.com/search?term=get+request+vs+post&page=2&browser=mosaic&ref=1048576&tracking=141592653589793238462648383279 which is basically the change I'm proposing -- putting the most important data first.

But that said...

1) I seem to remember reading the ResetEra team purposely added thread titles to the URL for convenience purposes, to make it easier to see where bookmarks and links go to. So I don't think they'd actually want to remove the title in the URL. (Though honestly if it were me I'd probably just remove the title like you said, or at the very least make the title xx characters max.)

2) The goal of my proposed change was not about having shorter URLs, or having users shorten or truncate ResetEra links manually. It was really about what happens if URLs are cut off accidentally. I agree that there's not really a ton of gain from simply just making the number appear first, but if it's an easy change to make, then I think it might still be worth it to help scenarios like this work:

Let's say someone wants to paste the following URL somewhere, like a chat or something:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-game-awards-2020-goty-nominees-revealed-animal-crossing-doom-eternal-ff7-remake-ghost-of-tsushima-hades-the-last-of-us-part-ii.328733

it might automatically be cut off and look something like:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-game-awards-2020-goty-nominees-revealed-animal-crossing-doom-eternal-ff7-remake-gho

And they may not even notice it. Or maybe they will notice it, but there's not much they can do about it, and they send it anyway with the hope that the link will still work.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Not necessarily a bug, but the search function is beyond useless.
It really needs to show results from newest to oldest by default.

For instance searching for "night city wire episode 5" - a thread from 1 or 2 days ago, results in showing this mess:
1w3SFRL.png

Even searching for "Night City Wire Episode 5" only gives the relevant thread as fourth result "Cyberpunk 2077 Night City WIRE: Episode 5 |OT| Time moves in one direction, memory in another [Media Impressions in the OP]".

I mean how can you expect to find anything relevant via the search if you have to be so specific, that you have to basically put in the DIRECT title? That is a huge problem in particular to check if something has been already posted.

Oct 26, 2017
Would this be the correct thread for feature requests?

I was just making a thread and realized how useful it would be to know how many characters I have left in the thread title before it gets cut off.

Is there currently something like this I'm unaware of?
Thank you in advance!

Oct 26, 2017
It appears that I have inadvertently made a stronger case for the feature I requested, as well as hopefully made it clear that my intentions behind creating the locked thread were pure.

It is 100% on me for not being able to come up with a less offensive title for that thread.

I wanted it to be more nuanced but was worried I'd cross the word limit and have it cut off in the middle and be misunderstood... which it was anyway, in the end.

After comparing with the length of other titles it looks like I had enough room to write a much more delicate and nuanced one.

Had this information been visible to me at the time of making the thread, I assure you I would have gone with a different title!

Edit: also, having this information could hopefully help reduce clickbait titles in general.

Last edited:

LifeLike

Oct 31, 2017
I think it's a new bug on mobile. Site loads in portrait, all is good. If I put the phone inadvertently on paysage mode and put back the mobile on portrait again, it doesn't go back full screen. Half the page on the right is blank. My guess is its because of the new way ads are being presented at the bottom of the page.
Ex:
Screenshot-20201122-121101.png

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Just tried that. I tried various combinations of turning on and off the enhanced tracking protection on this site and on Twitter. No dice. I also tried the same thing on my wife's computer with the same result, so I can't be the only one this is happening to. I should also mention that this is a recent thing, like within the past week or so.
Any luck on this? I recently started having an issue on Era and it may have started around the same time with Firefox. I was able to get embeds to show up a few months ago after messing with Ghostery and Ublock, but recently they not only stopped embedding again, but they don't even have a link show up that says "Loading Tweet" like it used to that I was able to click on. It just shows the Twitter bird.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Any luck on this? I recently started having an issue on Era and it may have started around the same time with Firefox. I was able to get embeds to show up a few months ago after messing with Ghostery and Ublock, but recently they not only stopped embedding again, but they don't even have a link show up that says "Loading Tweet" like it used to that I was able to click on. It just shows the Twitter bird.
No, it's worse than ever actually. It's exactly as you describe. I'm not sure how much I'll even be using this forum in the future, as the majority of threads are unreadable now. Can't even click on the tweet to go to the twitter site. It's a real bummer, especially because nothing works to fix it.

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
As I've mentioned before; twitter apparently hates people linking/embedding their stuff and it is a constantly moving target. Even if the embed wants to work for you; it requires something like 3mb of javascript to apparently display ~140 characters.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Why is this site so slow lately? Pages load slowly, when I click on the notification bar I can see the notifications are still busy loading in. Normally everything would load near instantly.

FunnyJay

Oct 27, 2017
The "jump to the beginning/end" buttons on mobile doesn't seem to be working correctly.
Jump to the end takes me to the first unread post instead.
It has been like this at least for a few days.

On Android/Firefox.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
Since this seems to be the thread for feature requests, how feasible would it be to get context of a page and change the default search settings based on it? Specifically, to have it search through a thread by default, when you're in a thread.

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018

Background:

<any text>.threadNumber

Problem:

Possible solution:

threadNumber.<any text>

Thanks for your time!
Changing the link structure is non-trivial, and requires a migration layer or killing old links. This isn't something we would do without a lot more consideration.

Not necessarily a bug, but the search function is beyond useless.
It really needs to show results from newest to oldest by default.

For instance searching for "night city wire episode 5" - a thread from 1 or 2 days ago, results in showing this mess:
1w3SFRL.png

Even searching for "Night City Wire Episode 5" only gives the relevant thread as fourth result "Cyberpunk 2077 Night City WIRE: Episode 5 |OT| Time moves in one direction, memory in another [Media Impressions in the OP]".

I mean how can you expect to find anything relevant via the search if you have to be so specific, that you have to basically put in the DIRECT title? That is a huge problem in particular to check if something has been already posted.
The search auto-complete sacrifices accuracy for speed and finding something even with fairly crazy miss-spellings and has a different algorithm to the full-search. It does consider age, and tries to match the full text but it is a little wonky with that (as it matches the reduced text, not exact).

There are some potential future updates which may help tune the results a little to favor more popular/active content, and support exact text matching, but it isn't going to be early next year before that can start.

Why is this site so slow lately? Pages load slowly, when I click on the notification bar I can see the notifications are still busy loading in. Normally everything would load near instantly.
Monitoring does look at page speed, but it is difficult to measure around the world as CloudFlare and ISP's often are having fun with the year 2020 and increased internet usage.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since the update the Alerts are kinda broken, threads are instantly listed as "Read" when clicking on the bell making new alerts lacking their purple color:

dSGD98u.png

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
Even before, they where instantly listed as read once you opened the bell. The recent alerts didn't have a purple color, more of a grey tint which I've restored.

We'll investigate to see if some additional styling work is needed

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Even before, they where instantly listed as read once you opened the bell. The recent alerts didn't have a purple color, more of a grey tint which I've restored.

We'll investigate to see if some additional styling work is needed

That's odd they were always purple to me, but in either case as you can see in my screenshot they are very hard to distinguish from read notifications in the light theme.

EDIT: Nevermind I forgot I had some CSS Tweaks running for Era that I had to modify now to show unreads in another color again. Regardless my point still stands, Read and Unread alerts should be way more distinguished.

Last edited:

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
EDIT: Nevermind I forgot I had some CSS Tweaks running for Era that I had to modify now to show unreads in another color again. Regardless my point still stands, Read and Unread alerts should be way more distinguished.
That makes a lot more sense, as there are now dedicated css classes instead of generic ones for the alert read/unread/recently-read. Additional styling on those will be looked into.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I've been having issues where media inserts on posts are unclickable for me on desktop. They show up and load fine but Twitter, Imgur and Youtube don't actually allow me to click them to either play media or follow them to their source.

Edit: Nevermind, an update to Chrome actually seems to have fixed this.

Last edited:

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Is the word counter something new or did I accidentally turn it on? If it's on purpose, why is it on purpose?

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Getting "Loading Tweet" for any thread now. Don't think its an add-on I have installed on Firefox because I'm still getting the issue in private windows. Didn't have this issue before, I guess I'm just screwed until this gets fixed since its not an issue specific to era?

edit - NM figured it out. For some reason Enhanced Tracking Protection was enabled and that blocks tweets. Turning it off makes the site work again, yay.

also I hate the word counter.

Last edited: