• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Copy pasted it from another thread:

Hi. Im not sure where to go, but is there any recent update lately? So im using samsung and I when im using my samsung's delete button on the keyboard suddenly the keyboard shuts off. I assume this might be the browser's bug but it only happens on resetera site. Im using mobile chrome

less

Oct 25, 2017
Copy pasted it from another thread:

Hi. Im not sure where to go, but is there any recent update lately? So im using samsung and I when im using my samsung's delete button on the keyboard suddenly the keyboard shuts off. I assume this might be the browser's bug but it only happens on resetera site. Im using mobile chrome

It's a known bug with Chrome on Android that appeared in the stable channel of Chrome a few days ago. I'm hopeful that Chrome devs will have a fix available soon enough.

Sep 24, 2019
So I have a weird bug or rather combination of circumstances.

I have my first PC running a AnyDesk connection to my second PC which is running Firefox 80.0 (64 bit) and has Era open.
When I switch the window on my first PC to something else, so from AnyDesk to any other program, the Era page on my second PC switches to the Giveaways page every time as long as the Era tab is in focus on my second PC.

I think it coincides with the Hotkey system that Era uses.
I have no idea where Era gets the signal to switch the page from as no other website or programm registers any input while going out of my AnyDesk window.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been able to get Instagram embeds to show up. On Firefox for Mac, I have ad block disabled, enhanced tracking protection off, and Resetera is in a Facebook container. (Imgur embeds also don't show their images, but they're clickable, so whatever. Example: https://i.imgur.com/EA3pfPK.png )

0oqFvw6.png

Would it be possible to add a link that shows up when the embed doesn't work? I've seen that when Twitter embeds didn't work for whatever reason. (Example: https://i.imgur.com/9Amruyc.png )

Oct 28, 2017
Man, so I'm not the only one with the Samsung\Chrome\Android bug. Funny thing is clearing cache and data fixed for like a day or two and it started shitting the bed again.
That been said, downloaded Google Keyboard thinking it was a Samsung thing and for some reason hitting delete doesn't ruin it now only hitting the enter key persists

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I have the keyboard glitch too, glad it's not just me.
But mine is when I press the enter key for a new paragraph.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Glad I saw this. It's almost untypeable trying to backspace and get they keyboard close on me. Just started today :/

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Seem to be having phantom notifications the past couple of days. Will see one pop up but when I click on it (mobile so expanding the menu) it disappears and shows nothing there.

This is on fresh page loads not returning to previous ones.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Android Chrome keyboard bug will likely be fixed sometime next week going by what I'm reading on Chromium's bug report for this issue.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I've been having an issue with text entry in replies. I'll hit CTRL+I, type some italic text, hit CTRL+I again to turn off italics, but when I start typing, italics is back on again. It's not 100% of the time, but happens more often than not. This doesn't appear to be an issue when clicking the "I" button instead of CTRL+I.

It looks like this is also an issue for bold text, underline text, strikethrough text, etc. Using the keyboard to turn off a formatting option while continuing typing most often fails to do so.

Brave Browser
Windows 10 64-bit

less

Oct 25, 2017
I've been having an issue with text entry in replies. I'll hit CTRL+I, type some italic text, hit CTRL+I again to turn off italics, but when I start typing, italics is back on again. It's not 100% of the time, but happens more often than not. This doesn't appear to be an issue when clicking the "I" button instead of CTRL+I.

It looks like this is also an issue for bold text, underline text, strikethrough text, etc. Using the keyboard to turn off a formatting option while continuing typing most often fails to do so.

Brave Browser
Windows 10 64-bit

Thanks for bringing up this issue. Will look into it later on but before then can you advise when this started happening? Sometime this week or last week?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Thanks for bringing up this issue. Will look into it later on but before then can you advise when this started happening? Sometime this week or last week?
It's been going on for a while now. If I had to guess I'd say over a month?

I tried it out in Firefox just now and didn't see this issue.

So more details: using Brave Browser (which is Chromium-based), with extensions: LastPass, Reddit Enhancement Suite, and Save to Pocket.

Issue happens whether Brave's "Shields" feature is On or Off for Resetera. Still happens if I disable my extensions.

I did clear my cookies/cache (a couple weeks ago) and didn't seem to change anything.

Last edited:

less

Oct 25, 2017
It's been going on for a while now. If I had to guess I'd say over a month?

I tried it out in Firefox just now and didn't see this issue.

So more details: using Brave Browser (which is Chromium-based), with extensions: LastPass, Reddit Enhancement Suite, and Save to Pocket.

Issue happens whether Brave's "Shields" feature is On or Off for Resetera. Still happens if I disable my extensions.

Thank you. Can you try checking if it happens on the demo editor here as well?: https://froala.com/wysiwyg-editor/

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
The Chrome/Android bug is affecting any site which uses a text area input and some very basic javascript :(

Seem to be having phantom notifications the past couple of days. Will see one pop up but when I click on it (mobile so expanding the menu) it disappears and shows nothing there.

This is on fresh page loads not returning to previous ones.
This can happen if you view the post which alerts you in one tab/page, and when some time later you switch to an already loaded tab and click alerts it silently removes those alerts.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
i have another issue on my phone (Android, Chrome) that happens only on occassion. I'll be typing and it'll freeze and I continue typing, but I won't be able to see it updated unless I scroll up or refresh the page. Not sure if that's something that's been previously reported.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if this is just me, but updated threads on the Gaming Forum main pages no longer have bolded titles when they update.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
On Android the keyboard is closing every time you hit the back / delete key when typing a comment. I've experienced it on two completely different devices (Oneplus 7 Pro vs Tab S7+) with two completely different keyboards (Fleksy vs Samsung default). It's only started occurring today but holy moly does it make writing things frustrating.

less

Oct 25, 2017
On Android the keyboard is closing every time you hit the back / delete key when typing a comment. I've experienced it on two completely different devices (Oneplus 7 Pro vs Tab S7+) with two completely different keyboards (Fleksy vs Samsung default). It's only started occurring today but holy moly does it make writing things frustrating.

Using Google Chrome? If yes, Chrome should soon should be releasing a fix with an update. Beta and Dev versions of Chrome appear to have the issue corrected so only a matter of time for the stable version to get the fix.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I found a temp solution to the Android/Chrome thing. I guess I accidentally hit the "Toggle BB code" button at some point, and can actually type freely on it. So unless you need to link/format stuff, it's good for a temp use.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Email two-factor is broken again. I'm not even getting notifications about logins through backup codes either.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I can not hit the backspace button on my keyboard without the keyboard being put away on mobile. I am using android and chrome. It doesn't happen on any other site so I'm pretty confident it isn't an issue with my phone

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
Email two-factor is broken again. I'm not even getting notifications about logins through backup codes either.
Email delivery is honestly not 100% reliable for a number of reasons. I recommend using time-based authentication via something like Authy (or google communicator).

I can not hit the backspace button on my keyboard without the keyboard being put away on mobile. I am using android and chrome. It doesn't happen on any other site so I'm pretty confident it isn't an issue with my phone
This is a Chrome bug. Google has been rolling out an update that should hopefully fix it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, this likely isn't the best place to post this, but I couldn't find a feature request thread and I assumed posting on Etcetera would get locked. I'm not sure if anyone has brought up the idea, but I'd love the ability to "unwatch" posts I've made. Sometimes you make a post and it gets lots of quotes and replies saying the same thing, and eventually you're just like "ok i get it". I'd love the ability for notifications to be turned off on an individual post basis.

I'm not sure if this has been thought of or even is possible, but after ignoring threads became a thing this has been my personal most wanted feature

miobrien

Oct 30, 2017
I just discovered that I can't create threads. It says I have "insufficient privileges." I'm wondering if there's a fix for this. I don't create threads that often but I recently wanted to make a few.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I just discovered that I can't create threads. It says I have "insufficient privileges." I'm wondering if there's a fix for this. I don't create threads that often but I recently wanted to make a few.
Thread Creation Privileges

New members are not able to create threads from the outset -- this is a privilege that must be earned. In order to post new threads your account will need to be at least 30 days old and have at least 100 posts. Once these two conditions are met, your account will be automatically granted its new permissions. If you have a great idea for a thread but do not yet have privileges, another member may be willing to post it on your behalf if you ask for help.

www.resetera.com

General Guide to ResetEra

General Guide to ResetEra Last updated on May 3, 2021. Mission Statement Since its founding in late 2017, ResetEra has been an inviting bonfire at the crossroads of the gaming industry. Our goal is to provide a modern platform where enthusiasts and industry professionals alike will want to...

miobrien

Oct 30, 2017
Number45/Fuzzy: Got it, thanks. Can't believe Era has been around for three years already. Time flies. I've been with this community since the other place but don't post like I did when I was younger.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I read a message about not having privileges to reply in the Asian thread. What is this about? I'm far from being a new member with few replies. Did something change recently?

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Anyone having issues with Edge push notifications? I only get them when I open Edge on my PC, but don't even get them at all on mobile?

No idea what's going on.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
DownUnderCoder or less I have a technical comment I guess.

I frequently log into Resetera connected to a VPN. I know there's a form of IP tracking going on because if I close my VPN and click a link elsewhere on the site I have to login again. That's understandable. What is strange to me is sometimes my VPN will lose connection and have to reconnect. If this occurs while I am on a page and I click a link after the VPN has reconnected I still have to login again. I would expect that if I don't navigate away from the page and the VPN reconnects that my session would still be valid.

Is this expected behavior? Is this the result of hovering over a username or any element that might contact the server too long? Is there a security reason or explanation for why the behavior is as it is? I'm not a web developer so I don't pretend to know security threats in this arena.

Kylarean

Oct 25, 2017
Gig Harbor, WA
I frequently log into Resetera connected to a VPN. I know there's a form of IP tracking going on because if I close my VPN and click a link elsewhere on the site I have to login again. That's understandable. What is strange to me is sometimes my VPN will lose connection and have to reconnect. If this occurs while I am on a page and I click a link after the VPN has reconnected I still have to login again. I would expect that if I don't navigate away from the page and the VPN reconnects that my session would still be valid.

Is this expected behavior? Is this the result of hovering over a username or any element that might contact the server too long? Is there a security reason or explanation for why the behavior is as it is? I'm not a web developer so I don't pretend to know security threats in this arena.

I don't think there is any sort of IP tracking. I log on and off of my work VPN throughout the day and have no problems staying logged in. When I'm not on VPN, my normal connection gets routed through a distributed mesh so to Resetera I'm changing IPs anyway.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This is a minor quibble but when I load the site in mobile chrome it doesn't take me to the top on first load like it used to, I go slightly below it and have to scroll up to see my alerts. I think it's because there was an announcement banner that I closed but the site is still loading like it's there.

EDIT: looks like it loads normally now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
I don't think there is any sort of IP tracking. I log on and off of my work VPN throughout the day and have no problems staying logged in. When I'm not on VPN, my normal connection gets routed through a distributed mesh so to Resetera I'm changing IPs anyway.
Huh. Well, now I'm at a loss for what's going on, but I randomly get thrown back to the login screen every now and then.

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
This is part of the site's security which limits how "different" the login IP and the access IP can be. A VPN's endpoint can potentially jump from one ISP to another, which can have very different IP address and thus not be permitted for the session.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any plans to implement automatic theme switching based on the user's device settings?
Or alternatively, are there plans to fix the sidebar on iOS devices? On my iPhone X, I cannot tap the lower items of the sidebar in portrait, including the theme switcher. It only works in landscape mode.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any plans to implement automatic theme switching based on the user's device settings?
Or alternatively, are there plans to fix the sidebar on iOS devices? On my iPhone X, I cannot tap the lower items of the sidebar in portrait, including the theme switcher. It only works in landscape mode.
I just tried this - and it works... kind of. When I load the page the first time I swipe up to see the items at the bottom of the menu it doesn't allow me to (at least for the theme switcher and reveal hidden options) however the next time I try it it lets me scroll all the way. iPhone 11 Pro Max in portrait mode.

Not ideal I know, but at least you can get to those items without having to rotate in the meantime.