• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a positive reception to Delphine's post, just to clarify to Windrunner.

(And note that I'm allowed that—I'm not misinterpreting moderation, or making conspiracy theories, or whatever else; I'm allowed to feel about a message in any number of ways.)

And there's a variety of reasons for that. Ultimately, unless talks involve clear and concise steps towards change that are understood by the community in full, then talking just becomes a performance.

Lastly, when talking about transparency (a word that has used a lot here throughout the years), there needs to be accountability.

And to me, accountability should be an apology to those harmed, and a plan to do better. I think it would go a long way if it felt like any of the talks being had or the altercations happening three years in, bore some sort of result. But it often doesn't.

It feels like we're having the same conversations three years in. And that should be cause for major introspection—Not pretty words. Not committee decisions; just a genuine show of introspection, and communication with the community that reconceptualizes moderation and takes into consideration the power discrepancies.

And that includes figuring out how to prevent (or have a plan for) burnout and not having mods feeling like they have to destroy their health, meanwhile animosity grows.

Yeah. While I'm appreciative of Delphine's earnest efforts, it also worries me, because when the communication is done by one individual, we're unable to get a read on the rest of the staff's mindset, or convince them directly of anything -- and that matters here.

Do they recognize the problems that are the root cause of not just our stress, but theirs? Are they being introspective and discussing real policy changes? Or do they view this discussion and its participants as nuisances? Or anything in-between? Because B-Dubs' posting days ago conveyed some contempt without much ambiguity. Maybe he's had a change of heart or was having a bad day, though; none of us knows without interaction. If he'd actually interacted with Kilrogg and apologized for his behavior, that would have (a) been a contribution to dialogue, (b) possibly saved face with Kilrogg and the community, and (c) circumvented seriously unhelpful punitive action.

I understand the motivation behind Delphine telling them to let her handle the situation. She appears to be even keel, open-minded, and well-meaning, and thus conducive to a smoother discourse. Allowing more cooks in the kitchen, so to speak, runs the risk of muddying the message and introducing conflicts and contradictions.

But if she continues to be the sole participant on the staff side, even into a potential General Feedback thread, while that might help control for a pleasant tone, it also runs considerable risks. It puts a lot of stress on one person's shoulders -- someone who has already had understandable thoughts of stepping down. And if it's a largely solo effort by her, and not a staff-wide re-examination of policy, then of course nothing will actually end up changing.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see the discussion still going. Some comments;

The way I'm envisioning it, I also will handle it solely, at least at the beginning. That way I can set the tone, and hopefully allow for users to feel safe enough to voice their concerns, suggestions and feedback.

Not really sure this is the best idea, because the thread could presumably be;
  • Heated: already said by others, there's a lot of accumulated tension. It's not remotely healthy for one person alone to take care of it all by themselves.
  • Frantic: it'll be probably flooded by dozens of long-form posts in the first few hours. It's not realistic to expect any lonely staff to be able to keep up and write reasonable answers in time, and it would lead to complaining about the lack of responses/the timing of them and people feeling unheard.
You will burn out in no time. If the intention is to assure users that they're safe, maybe "thread-bans" could work;

I think, for a general feedback thread to be created, the mods need to be prepared that there will be a lot of complaints up front. People have had issues with this or that for years. Of course the tone should be respectful but threatening with bans or closings the thread because of momentary hostility isn't the way to handle it. Those people who care can lose their temper but they do so because they care about the forums.
At the most give someone who is clearly worked up a 12-hour ban to cool down. Even then this decision must be made to protect the thread from derailing and the user itself for potentially taking it too far, and not because the staff took offense to what the user said.

This so much. In the current Asian Era meeting, a way of temporarily taking away an user's privileges to post in a certain thread is being discussed. Maybe that would be a better solution to handle moderation in the Feedback thread than outright banning people. If someone gets too hostile, revoke their posting privileges in that thread for 12 hours. That way people won't avoid the thread for fear of being banned from the whole site.

In a related matter, it would also be nice for staff to reverse the three bans in here. Were these messages hostile? Sure. But strong punitive action - duration pending is the standard placeholder when a long ban is being discussed with a Captain iirc - is not the way to go when talking feedback. Especially if the frustrations have been accumulating for years because there's no place to publicly discuss them. It builds distrust and instills fear, to be honest.

The Feedback thread could see posts like those and, if the answer is permabanning, I fear it could backfire once again.

This is something we aim to deal with, by hiring new staff that will help alleviate the overall workload enough for some of us to fully dedicate our time to dealing and answering those mails. I'm incredibly sorry that this is frustrating to many, I fully understand, and this is something we intend to improve in the future as well.
In the interests of our user's safety, this is not a viable option: as staff we have access to personally identifiable information as such a vetting process is necessary to ensure that anyone who comes on board is trustworthy and responsible. The well-being of our members is our upmost priority, and this is something we won't compromise on, even if it means having fewer staff and longer wait times for responses.

Ketkat is right. We've been hearing about staff wanting to expand since last year, and while everyone notices a new mod or two from time to time, you can also see people resigning regularly. I don't claim to know the numbers, but if you still believe to be understaffed and overworked, the recruitment methods don't seem to be as fast as needed.

It's perfectly understandable to try to be picky when choosing - you want the best possible people on the job - but maybe you could open up to other ways of searching. Like, asking communities to deliberate and suggest a name or two, for example. The final call will be always on your hands, but if you're having trouble finding enough people or get a lot of negatives from candidates, opening up a more user-driven recruitment process could net faster results.

By the way, if remuneration is not on the table for staff, that's fine. Didn't mean to diminish or justify anyone's struggles. My apologies for that.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't be a nice act of transparency to clearly explain if anyone is making or bleeding money due to Era. The vague information about this leads to people coming up with their own explanations, like members believing that the site made a lot of money for someone in this very thread. And that devolves into "conspiracy theories" eventually, precisely because of the lack of transparency.

I do back-end technical work which enables adding various features for the site. Putting together feature designs, over-seeing development, documenting and describing features for public consumption, is frankly not an easy task and is the sort of project management skillset which is not quick to pickup and even harder to hand over to a new set of people. And not something I do.

Thanks for explaining. Dunno if you can answer this, but when admins talk about the "tech guys", is that only ratrosaw and you?

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
First, unban BDS.

Now then, I've given thoughts recently on how a feedback thread could work, so I'll just quote myself from a recent feedback thread which was locked:
I think there should be a general feedback thread then if this is something that is supposed to be encouraged. Most forums have them. If you're always looking for constructive feedback, then why not have an official place where people can give it? Sending private messages to staff or randomly opening threads like this isn't the same thing. I truly think that threads like this move fast and become overwhelming for the staff specifically because there has never been an official place set aside for these "meta" conversations to exist without the chance of being locked and shutdown.

Yes, a new feedback forum 3 years into the life of the site would probably get overwhelmed with people wanting to post in it. Yes, it would need to have some hard and fast rules and people would need to adhere to them if they don't want to get banned (perhaps even just thread-banned from posting in the feedback forum for a while, but that's a topic for the feedback forum I think). Yes, it would require people on the moderation staff to perhaps have to do some more work because at least some of them would need to keep an eye on it and respond to people in it. However, I think the benefits for the community as a whole to have a place to give feedback or ask questions about moderation in a civil and respectful manner would be good for the long term health of the site.
To go back to my point earlier about having a dedicated feedback thread, something that could help reduce the flow of traffic in there and make it easier on the staff could be to have a hard rule about not quoting other posters and getting into side discussions. I think an official feedback thread should just be for making posts directed towards the staff with no intention of getting into a conversation with another user about it. I'm not telling anyone to not do that in this thread obviously, but if a true feedback thread were made, I think that's something to consider at least.

Going further, it could also maybe help to have some rules about how often one can post in there, maybe even a tech thing with a cooldown maybe that could be figured out, idk, but I'd just like to figure out ways to make that work and make it as easy on the staff as possible. I think having open constructive feedback and Q&A sessions like this is healthy, and I'd like to see it encouraged to take place more regularly and in a way that helps both users and staff ultimately.
TLDR is basically that I think there should be some rules/tech that alleviate the flood of messages people will likely want to make in an official feedback thread so that it doesn't feel too overwhelming for the staff from the start, and doesn't cause them to shut down and ignore people like they usually do, while still providing an official space for people to give feedback, make suggestions, request features, and ask questions about moderation.

I also agree with most of the suggestions made in here about how one could work, especially Disclaimer's posts. Actually, just to be clear, I agree with pretty much every point Disclaimer has made in here, not just the feedback thread stuff, great posts. It would be too much to go through and quote everyone in here I agree with just to say I agree with them, but I wanted to make it known that they are not alone in their feelings and I've been nodding along while reading a lot of posts in here.

Lastly, unban BDS.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think the conversation might benefit from a refocusing because a lot of these posts would deserve a spotlight in an actual feedback thread, the idea of which I think is now firmly ingrained as a solution; I think what's happening now is a lot of posts coming up with more and more points that deserve a focus alongside accompanying comments on how to make a feedback thread, all of the above which might have to be addressed by Delphine alone and not a proper feedback system.

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018
Initially came to say I find the tags feature useful, looking forward to seeing their less obtrusive next/final design.
People would probably be more receptive to them if a short announcement briefly demonstrated their benefits, like the previous New Feature threads did.
Maybe hide a few funny Easter Egg threads under a one-time use tag shown in a screencap of the explanation, which users could find if they looked for them? Just something people can have a positive experience with, which also teaches them the use of tags.

With regards to the broader discussion:
*With regard to a General Feedback thread's operation, I think various steps could be taken to maintain a safer and cooler-headed -- but honest -- space for everyone.
*Restrict the thread from non-member viewing, as has recently been done to keep certain other threads from prying eyes.

Good ideas. Staff could also post the thread closed at first, and announce a moment when it will be opened for a few days/X amount of posts. Then close it again to parse responses, and re-open/close periodically. Gives people time to articulate a response, and allows staff to address concerns without being overwhelmed by volume. Could even just collect topics the first time, and give those separate feedback threads to keep it focused.
Have off-topic responses lead to a temporary removal of posting privileges in the feedback threads, if that's possible. Make a separate bug reporting thread too, so the two don't overlap like this one.

Lastly, sounds like one concern is a site feedback thread will mostly lead to ban appeals?
One solution there could be to have a dedicated channel for them, separate from the general contact form. Maybe some impartial arbitration if it's feasible/not already done?
Frankly, this forum just issues (lengthy) bans a lot. Users don't see/remember someone's previous warnings/infractions/posting privileges removals, which makes moderation seem harsh. Have other, less punitive forms of corrective behavior been tried?

Staff sounds overwhelmed currently, I hope y'all realize it's not staff versus users. I wonder if some sort of quarterly report would be viable: how many reports were sent in? How many warnings/bans were issued or overturned? Were any new moderators added, did any leave? I think users would be more appreciative of the staff's efforts when they realize the amount of work done every day.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yes, I agree that no one should derail the thread and cause issues with it, but that kind of goes without saying. I guess I just don't see why this one incident that happened a few years ago with probably a different staff make up (since staff turnover is so high) is such a big deal in the context of improving relations going forward. I mean, it's possible they have learnt from that thread, just like they have learnt from telling everyone to "knock it off" about the tags issue to offering up a feedback thread

If it happens again, then yeah, well done for calling that, you were finely attuned to the threat of a staff kamikaze thread derail. I know that's happened a few times, but it generally doesn't, so hopefully a feedback thread existing will provide users with a way to provide feedback when/if that happens again

I'm just saying I'm happy to meet staff halfway, and to try and push for a forum that works better for staff and users, and if there are users who don't think that's possible, then a) it's weird they're still here and b) they probably don't have anything constructive to add to any feedback thread

The one incident that happened years ago is an early example of a pattern of staff behavior that is still going on to this day. It doesn't matter if the staff members change if the staff as a whole is not learning from past mistakes. In fact, it would point to things like a lack of institutional knowledge about those earlier mistakes (which Delphine's mentioning of it also kinda indicated!), which is a pretty bad sign in itself, isn't it?

If there is a general feedback thread, I will absolutely be in it talking about these repeated incidents and how the staff's failure to communicate properly again and again needs to change. That is me posting in good faith and pushing for the staff to be better; I'm not dragging up old incidents to whine about them, I think they have genuinely failed to communicate with users properly again and again and it's hurting the site. To oversimplify it: criticism happens, sudden ban goes down with 0 discussion or clarification from staff first, users panic while staff is entirely MIA (despite knowing that the ban would happen), staff finally steps in but is completely patronizing and/or incredulous, users push back, then eventually an apology might be given. It happens again and again and, in my opinion, has been a major source of discontent and lack of trust. This thread itself is evidence of similar behaviors.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I've offered suggestions for a feedback thread a bunch of times but I get why it wouldn't want to be done given how they usually go- it would need to be an all hands on deck thing and I don't know what the structure of the team is like insofar as how many people are allowed to or how many people would be comfortable being subject to some of the posts that might come up. The only way it can be done is being strictly moderated to stay productive and on topic with many mods participating so it doesn't get away from the team. I have years of moderation experience on very large forums and have offered to help out a bunch, I dunno what threshold is for being trusted with an unpaid janitor position is but if it's not that, who knows haha, but I think it's a doable thing to at least try if we can all agree to keep it civil and realize there'd be some growing pains with it and cut them some slack.

Pak, that's a great idea about closing and reopening. And clearly point out the thread isn't for relitigating bans, that's a must.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I've offered suggestions for a feedback thread a bunch of times but I get why it wouldn't want to be done given how they usually go- it would need to be an all hands on deck thing and I don't know what the structure of the team is like insofar as how many people are allowed to or how many people would be comfortable being subject to some of the posts that might come up. The only way it can be done is being strictly moderated to stay productive and on topic with many mods participating so it doesn't get away from the team. I have years of moderation experience on very large forums and have offered to help out a bunch, I dunno what threshold is for being trusted with an unpaid janitor position is but if it's not that, who knows haha, but I think it's a doable thing to at least try if we can all agree to keep it civil and realize there'd be some growing pains with it and cut them some slack.

Pak, that's a great idea about closing and reopening. And clearly point out the thread isn't for relitigating bans, that's a must.

If you want to be a mod, you shouldn't be a mod. I'll reiterate what I said earlier: mods should not be active members of the community. All that does is lead to personal issues, hurt feelings, and distrust. The second a mod becomes part of a discussion as a user, bias is born on both sides of the discussion. The people making the decisions should have no personal stake in the outcome. This is a recipe for failure.

Think about taking up a position as a hall monitor and busting one of your friends. Same concept.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you want to be a mod, you shouldn't be a mod. I'll reiterate what I said earlier: mods should not be active members of the community. All that does is lead to personal issues, hurt feelings, and distrust. The second a mod becomes part of a discussion as a user, bias is born on both sides of the discussion. The people making the decisions should have no personal stake in the outcome. This is a recipe for failure.

Think about taking up a position as a hall monitor and busting one of your friends. Same concept.

Half agree with this

I agree people who want to be mods, probably shouldn't be mods. I think users should need to be nominated by either the staff team, or by other users, and then approached

I don't have an issue with mods also being posters, as I think it's going to be hard to get good mods if we require them to step back and post infrequently, as most mods seem to only do this because they're passionate about the community. If you ask them to stop posting, or if you look for mods from users who don't post much, you'll end up with mods that don't care much

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

If you aren't an active, passionate member of the community why would you be motivated to do a stressful, unpaid job?

I agree with your concerns, but when talking about unpaid labour you'll never reach a truly satisfactory result. I think it's more important that staff actually understands the needs and concerns of the community - or rather communities - and that's best achieved when said staff is actually an active and known part of the community rather than just an observer.

Oct 25, 2017

Moderators should ideally be paid staff that aren't active community participants.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
If you aren't an active, passionate member of the community why would you be motivated to do a stressful, unpaid job?

I agree with your concerns, but when talking about unpaid labour you'll never reach a truly satisfactory result. I think it's more important that staff actually understands the needs and concerns of the community - or rather communities - and that's best achieved when said staff is actually an active and known part of the community rather than just an observer.

Easier said than done, but not being an active member of the community encourages people to treat it like a job and not spend their every waking moment here. If you have enough mods, you aren't relying on the same 5-6 people to monitor the site 24/7 at the cost of sleep and mental health. You have an actual staff who show up, do the job and handle issues, and log off instead of giving people who may already have some sort of dependency or addiction to the site additional tools and reasons to stay here all day and night. Obviously "emergency" reports and such will require an urgent response, but you would still have a better system than what's there now, which is basically "Moderators/Admins respond to 53 reports in a single thread between arguing with users in other threads."

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is a bug but it is a question about the site features.

Through not really understanding how the Quote function works for way too long I've clicked on the "Quote" button under people's posts and not clicked on "Insert Quotes" to use them and now have a ton of quotes that I now have no intention of posting.

So when I click on "Insert Quotes" I have like a billion things things that I need to "remove" that basically make "Insert quotes" as a function not usable for me anymore. Is there a way to "clear" this backlog of non-relevant quotes entirely? Everytime I use "Insert quotes" it's all there.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is a bug but it is a question about the site features.

Through not really understanding how the Quote function works for way too long I've clicked on the "Quote" button under people's posts and not clicked on "Insert Quotes" to use them and now have a ton of quotes that I now have no intention of posting.

So when I click on "Insert Quotes" I have like a billion things things that I need to "remove" that basically make "Insert quotes" as a function not usable for me anymore. Is there a way to "clear" this backlog of non-relevant quotes entirely? Everytime I use "Insert quotes" it's all there.

There's a "Remove" button in the top-right corner of each quote when inserting.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very glad this ended up not being true

Same. Please imagine if you'd taken feedback before roll out and Delphine's current post and the current version of the update was what greeted users when the update was first applied.

I'm very happy with the ability to turn them [visually] off. Under the title also looks better and maintains justification.

Also, please don't forget the things we've talked about in here. This is a positive step though.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just finished reading Delphine's post. Personally, the reason I support staff compensation I guess is based on my political/economic views: I really don't like the idea of a site/business that doesn't appear to be non-profit to have unpaid staff. I know that paying the staff isn't sustainable for the site, but it just seems like you should at least get something when you're working for someone else in an environment where money is involved. But then again, maybe it's a result of me having been part of the team for a different forum in the past and having nothing but bad memories as a result. It also seems weird to have a site where we constantly critique businesses for not properly compensating their workers while the very forum we're on doesn't pay them at all. It makes us seem like hypocrites.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

Nah this is ridiculous. It's an unpaid volunteer job, you want motivated people, interested people. Imagine the red cross saying if you care too much you shouldn't volunteer your time I've been doing this for years, not swinging it around or anything but I kind of know what I'm talking about, I've been through the theory and practice of both choosing people who don't want to do it and choosing people who do and the latter has always turned out better.

Plus, being a mod can be soul sucking a lot of the time, you get someone without an investment in a community and they will burn out quick, and they won't know anything about the culture. There's this idea that mods should be like unbiased judicial arbiters, like they should hold themselves to the same standard the supreme court is supposed to, I've seen that philosophy as well and while it sounds nice on paper it's garbo in practice.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nah this is ridiculous. It's an unpaid volunteer job, you want motivated people, interested people. Imagine the red cross saying if you care too much you shouldn't volunteer your time I've been doing this for years, not swinging it around or anything but I kind of know what I'm talking about, I've been through the theory and practice of both choosing people who don't want to do it and choosing people who do and the latter has always turned out better.

Plus, being a mod can be soul sucking a lot of the time, you get someone without an investment in a community and they will burn out quick, and they won't know anything about the culture. There's this idea that mods should be like unbiased judicial arbiters, like they should hold themselves to the same standard the supreme court is supposed to, I've seen that philosophy as well and while it sounds nice on paper it's garbo in practice.

Red Cross volunteers don't have power over the people they're helping and they can't send people away if they annoy them, nor can they get drunk on power and end up being an asshole to everyone around them

If suitable people want to be mods, then I'm not saying staff should ignore them if they think the person is good for the role, but in general I think people who are nominated to a position of power will probably handle it better than people who just want a position of power

I'd rather 10 people are nominated and approached, even if 5 say no, than 10 people are added to the mod team because they think they'd be good mods

Didn't you also say you'd offered to help before, and I guess they didn't take you up on that? Maybe being eager to be put into a position of power was a part of that

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Red Cross volunteers don't have power over the people they're helping and they can't send people away if they annoy them, nor can they get drunk on power and end up being an asshole to everyone around them
For sure they can, I've worked in plenty of non-profits, there's still a power structure. As far as getting drunk on power (as much power as an internet janitor has anyways), that's why you select good people and remove them if they become an issue. Now like there should be a system in place for that for sure (I've used quarterly reviews, collect automated metrics, and anonymous team surveys for instance).
Didn't you also say you'd offered to help before, and I guess they didn't take you up on that? Maybe being eager to be put into a position of power was a part of that
That would be a really uncharitable way to read it so I doubt that would be the case, I think I have a pretty good relationship with most people here and they know there's people (def not just myself) who really want to see this place flourish and have confidence that the team is listening to them and has the ability to be more responsive! then again though having done it I have a hard time equating "mod" with "power" because if people knew what it was like or did it for any length of time they'd also think it's a bit unrealistic how much people equate internet janitor work with power haha, or at least once you're in it it doesn't really feel that way.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Every board on the forum constantly refreshes, making it hard to read threads, as the page keeps trying to remember where you were before the refresh.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019

So have I, since the late '90s. If someone has a stake in/attachment to a community, giving them power to affect that community in any way almost always leads to bad outcomes. Eventually they're going to start playing favorites, swaying discussions, and generally trying to influence the community in the direction they want it to go in. Being motivated and interested is all well and good until the 24/7 wear and tear of dealing with a pack of hyenas ready to turn any word you say into a weapon starts affecting your mental health, as we've seen here plenty of times.

For smaller communities it works, for a giant community with people just waiting for something, anything to leap on and chew through? All you're going to get is exhausted volunteers mentally done after a month. Anyone who enthusiastically campaigns for a mod or admin position on a site like this is doing it for the wrong reasons, and should rightfully be turned down.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
So have I, since the late '90s. If someone has a stake in/attachment to a community, giving them power to affect that community in any way almost always leads to bad outcomes. Eventually they're going to start playing favorites, swaying discussions, and generally trying to influence the community in the direction they want it to go in. Being motivated and interested is all well and good until the 24/7 wear and tear of dealing with a pack of hyenas ready to turn any word you say into a weapon starts affecting your mental health, as we've seen here plenty of times.
Totally agree with you on the mental health stuff- but I think you paint kind of a dim view of a lot of people who volunteer their time, as if all of them have, or over time gain, some wanton thirst for power and influence when really most people, at least most adults are able to treat it as any other volunteer gig or hobby. Sure, I've worked with people like you're talking about, and I've seen people become that way over time, that's def been the minority though and there should always be safeguards in place to deal with those situations anyways. I'd still take someone with a real investment to see a community thrive over someone with no real investment whatsoever in it. You gotta have a strong internal structure, training, and review processes to prevent the type of behavior you're talking about either way, if you have that that's how you build and retain a great team over time, if you do that you don't have to worry about limiting yourself.
For smaller communities it works, for a giant community with people just waiting for something, anything to leap on and chew through? All you're going to get is exhausted volunteers mentally done after a month. Anyone who enthusiastically campaigns for a mod or admin position on a site like this is doing it for the wrong reasons, and should rightfully be turned down.
I would def call this a smaller community fwiw, I don't mean that as a knock or anything but 50,000 members (in totality, not counting inactive or rarely used accounts) I don't think is that big, maybe nowadays because forums are generally on the downswing since reddit has taken such a big chunk but it's not what I'd call unmanageable with good practices in place and enough people to enact them. I also agree with the enthusiastically lobbying stuff, though some of those people have been amazing in my experience an equal amount have turned out to be just kind of "eh".

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Ultimately this entire discussion is moot because it exists entirely in the theoretical realm. They've already said that staff cannot and will not be compensated, ergo it would be doubly impossible to hire a third party to moderate.

And that's generously ignoring the other very real problems with that idea -- (a) that it's all too cynical a blanket assumption of motive, (b) that it ignores any potential safeguards, (c) that a third party couldn't reflect the culture of the community, and (d) that a third party would face no accountability from the community -- only from whoever hires them.

The steps I've suggested to actually improve community-staff relations while also introducing a public avenue for honest feedback/accountability would, I think, be far more effective and realistic at reducing stress on everyone involved. Cleanse and prevent the toxicity to begin with, and most people won't be the "hyenas" you suggest. Just look at the current official tag feedback thread -- with a mere week of feedback and work, the feature was transformed into something that was nigh universally praised, with people effusively thanking the staff for merely letting them have an option for the visual status quo.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Ultimately this entire discussion is moot because it exists entirely in the theoretical realm. They've already said that staff cannot and will not be compensated, ergo it would be doubly impossible to hire a third party to moderate.

And that's generously ignoring the other very real problems with that idea -- (a) that it's all too cynical a blanket assumption of motive, (b) that it ignores any potential safeguards, (c) that a third party couldn't reflect the culture of the community, and (d) that a third party would face no accountability from the community -- only from whoever hires them.

The steps I've suggested to actually improve community-staff relations while also introducing a public avenue for honest feedback/accountability would, I think, be far more effective and realistic at reducing stress on everyone involved. Cleanse and prevent the toxicity to begin with, and most people won't be the "hyenas" you suggest. Just look at the current official tag feedback thread -- with a mere week of feedback and work, the feature was transformed into something that was nigh universally praised, with people effusively thanking the staff for merely letting them have an option for the visual status quo.

Until the next crisis that results in a tangible effect on the staff's mental health, sure. We're due for another one in about a week.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Until the next crisis that results in a tangible effect on the staff's mental health, sure. We're due for another one in about a week.

The crises have largely been unforced errors as a result of policy, which is changeable. The stress of day-to-day moderation isn't so easily fixed; however, we've suggested fixes nonetheless, e.g. a moderation rotation.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK

If they roll out every new feature with an intro thread, and try to offer options for users so they can limit the level of interaction they have with said features, there probably won't be any further major issues with site updates

A feedback thread where people can discuss anything else, and a larger mod team with mods rotating in and out of active duty would also solve a lot of the other issues

The tag issue going from a complete balls up, to a really good implementation took less than a week. That shows that things can be better. Even if the tags were only annoying to a vocal minority, the fact is that now almost everyone on the site is happy with tags and you can see the communities feedback is being taken on board

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I feel the three main things for staff are:

Communication with community to lessen blowback and increase positive interactions

Rework staff and recruitment policies to lessen burden on staff and spread it more

Change mindset from everything users say is dumb, impossible, has secret agenda against the mods, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
hey buds is this feature disabled or am I just using it wrong?

In the BB code list, it lists this hidden content feature:
Code:
[HIDEPOSTS]Hides until user reached number of posts.[/HIDEPOSTS]
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but it sounds like you can limit visibility to users under a certain postcount threshold (in specific thread or in total profile? not sure!). But how is that number set? Or am I misinterpreting it?
I tried something like:
Code:
[HIDEPOSTS=7000]Hides until user reached number of posts.[/HIDEPOSTS]
But that didn't work. Users with fewer posts can still see it.
Am I using it wrong or is the feature disabled?

This could potentially really help insiders from getting constantly ran off by guests and newbie accounts blasting their chats all over the internet.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
iOS (latest update) Safari

Don't have good data or anecdotes or ads to associate— but frequently getting pages crash and refresh- often mid typing of a reply - and the instances of losing all the typing seem to have gone up to nearly 100% - it used to cache typing up to a few seconds before refresh errors so I'd only previously have to retype a couple of words.

every now and then an old lost post attempt will return along with the lost text- even after I've submitted edits, changes or retyped text.

also finding form behaviors are weird - I hit return a couple of times but the cursor jumps backwards to arbitrary prior return position.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
The crises have largely been unforced errors as a result of policy, which is changeable. The stress of day-to-day moderation isn't so easily fixed; however, we've suggested fixes nonetheless, e.g. a moderation rotation.

If they roll out every new feature with an intro thread, and try to offer options for users so they can limit the level of interaction they have with said features, there probably won't be any further major issues with site updates

A feedback thread where people can discuss anything else, and a larger mod team with mods rotating in and out of active duty would also solve a lot of the other issues

The tag issue going from a complete balls up, to a really good implementation took less than a week. That shows that things can be better. Even if the tags were only annoying to a vocal minority, the fact is that now almost everyone on the site is happy with tags and you can see the communities feedback is being taken on board

Yeah, you guys are right. My idea is a little more esoteric than what could be implemented with a volunteer staff. What I meant by my "hyenas" comment is that anytime there's a board issue, whether it's changes or a topic going off the rails or an argument or what have you, people are already ready to pick apart whichever mod/admin responds with a spreadsheet of past comments the mod has made or past decisions whoever is posting doesn't agree with. I think there should be an effort to distance the moderators/admin staff from regular posters and if that means having the staff step back from posting and agree to spend their time here more focused on their duties, then maybe give it a try. There has to be some distance between the users and the staff, and there should be zero tolerance for attacks on the staff by more "passionate" users. If the place starts taking a mental toll on a mod, there should be immediate procedures in place to remedy that instead of expecting them to just grin and bear it.

A feedback thread plus a proactive discussion thread on possible board changes is a good idea, but set strict rules on what the feedback thread can and can't be about and enforce the shit out of it so it doesn't become "TIMMY SAID THIS AND I DON'T FEEL HE WAS ACTIONED ENOUGH" or what have you. And stop bending or acquiescing to people who have proven they will never be satisfied.

Oct 28, 2017
I would like some clarification on this matter, surely moderators shouldn't have access to any identifiable information, what's the reason they would? There's a good few moderators, it would concern me if all of them could look at my personal email or IP or something that could be used to potentially dox me. At most only admins should have this access, and even then I doubt they all need it (considering there's been an increase in the number of admins lately).
I would appreciate a response to this as it seems like a security and privacy issue, and under GDPR users in the EU have a right to know who has access to their information and for what purpose. Windrunner B-Dubs Delphine

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I would appreciate a response to this as it seems like a security and privacy issue, and under GDPR users in the EU have a right to know who has access to their information and for what purpose. Windrunner B-Dubs Delphine

The terms of service and privacy policy address how we handle data.

Information such as email addresses are restricted to the administrative staff and is often used to assist members in account reclamation and appeals.
IP Addressees are accessible to moderators and may be used to enforce the terms of service.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Non-binary Emoji Lookup

This may require some slight code update. The emoji suggestions should include a non-binary gender.

For example, typing ":shrugging" only lists man and woman, but not "person_shrugging." 🤷

I would go even further and suggest that women get listed before men. ✨

KE2JvMr.png

To recap, the lookup should include "person_shrugging" 🤷.

However, I notice that this isn't even limited to this forum. Even iOS and Windows only suggest gendered emoji when looking up items. 🤦
Any update on this :(

The erasure keeps hurting.

Also, if this forum is open source, I'd contribute.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Seemingly random issue started happening recently on mobile. I haven't found any correlation between the different occurences, seems random?

So, sometime, the navigation bar at the top of the page will appear off-center making the page wider than the mobile screen (allowing side scrolling).

On Android with latest version of Firefox.

Xblbxy6.png

Oct 28, 2017
The terms of service and privacy policy address how we handle data.

Information such as email addresses are restricted to the administrative staff and is often used to assist members in account reclamation and appeals.
IP Addressees are accessible to moderators and may be used to enforce the terms of service.
Thanks for the response. The tos and privacy policy don't seem to say who handles the data (in terms of admins and moderators), at least not that I could find. If it's there please link to it so I can read it! Regardless a moderator having access to IP addresses will only identify an area a user lives in and their browser, if I'm not mistaken, meaning that it's not data that can entirely identify a user. Whereas the original post by a moderator seemed to suggest they could identify a user by the data they see, which is why I wanted some clarification.

Seemingly random issue started happening recently on mobile. I haven't found any correlation between the different occurences, seems random?

So, sometime, the navigation bar at the top of the page will appear off-center making the page wider than the mobile screen (allowing side scrolling).

On Android with latest version of Firefox.

Xblbxy6.png
Having the same issue, have had it happen for a while now so I don't think it's new. I'm using Firefox as well, but I know someone using Chrome and the same thing is happening. It seems completely random.

ColdSun

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You're correct. An IP Address in of itself only gives a rough geographical location. Nothing definitive.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, there's something that's been bugging me for a very long time now on this website, and I'd really really appreciate it if it could be remedied because it's extremely frustrating to the point that I sometimes want to punch my monitor.

At the top of the website page when browsing the list of threads, there is space where two things appear: an ad, and a "report ad" link. These two elements appear most of the time, though sometimes they don't.

The issue is the following. When first coming to ResetEra (my bookmark leads directly to my watched threads) or when switching to a different section of the forum, it takes a little time for both the ad and the "report ad" link to appear. The consequence of this is that a lot of times (seriously, this shit happens every day), I see a thread that I want to click on, so I try clicking on it... except that the entire webpage gets suddenly displaced downwards because the ad just appeared, meaning that I have now clicked on nothing. I then put my cursor back on the link and click it... except that the entire webpage gets once again displaced just ever so slightly downwards because the "report ad" button has now appeared.

This happens all the time. Every single day.

And this is the best case scenario. Oh yes, because in the worse case scenario, the webpage gets displaced downwards such that I end up clicking on a different thread.

This is maddening.

Please please please fix this. This has been happening since ads have been on the website. Honestly I can't believe it took me this long to come post about it here considering how rage-inducing it is for me. Must be my ADD.

I could fix this issue by using an ad-blocker, but I choose not to because I want to support this website that I visit daily.

I'm not a coder so I don't know how it could be fixed, but maybe the space required for both the ad and the "report ad" button could be reserved at all times for them? Meaning that even when they don't appear, the space is "taken", so whenever someone loads a page on which there is the list of threads, there is no displacement that happens because that space is "naturally used" by the page.

In case it matters, I am using Firefox on Windows 10.

Thank you

less

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, there's something that's been bugging me for a very long time now on this website, and I'd really really appreciate it if it could be remedied because it's extremely frustrating to the point that I sometimes want to punch my monitor.

At the top of the website page when browsing the list of threads, there is space where two things appear: an ad, and a "report ad" link. These two elements appear most of the time, though sometimes they don't.

The issue is the following. When first coming to ResetEra (my bookmark leads directly to my watched threads) or when switching to a different section of the forum, it takes a little time for both the ad and the "report ad" link to appear. The consequence of this is that a lot of times (seriously, this shit happens every day), I see a thread that I want to click on, so I try clicking on it... except that the entire webpage gets suddenly displaced downwards because the ad just appeared, meaning that I have now clicked on nothing. I then put my cursor back on the link and click it... except that the entire webpage gets once again displaced just ever so slightly downwards because the "report ad" button has now appeared.

This happens all the time. Every single day.

And this is the best case scenario. Oh yes, because in the worse case scenario, the webpage gets displaced downwards such that I end up clicking on a different thread.

This is maddening.

Please please please fix this. This has been happening since ads have been on the website. Honestly I can't believe it took me this long to come post about it here considering how rage-inducing it is for me. Must be my ADD.

I could fix this issue by using an ad-blocker, but I choose not to because I want to support this website that I visit daily.

I'm not a coder so I don't know how it could be fixed, but maybe the space required for both the ad and the "report ad" button could be reserved at all times for them? Meaning that even when they don't appear, the space is "taken", so whenever someone loads a page on which there is the list of threads, there is no displacement that happens because that space is "naturally used" by the page.

In case it matters, I am using Firefox on Windows 10.

Thank you

Hi, AuthenticM. This is a known behavior of the ad space. Been a while so my memory is a bit fuzzy but we did consider doing create a pre-defined space for the ads instead of having it automatically be created when the ad is filled. We actually do this for a few of the ads already such as guest view for thread lists as there is an ad in the middle of the threads list but I believe we decided against it for the top ad on the forum list for desktop. But there is an option available to you that should fix the issue. It requires for you to use the extension called Stylus that allows you to use CSS to customize websites. You can get it here:

addons.mozilla.org

Stylus – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

Download Stylus for Firefox. Redesign your favorite websites with Stylus, an actively developed and community driven userstyles manager. Easily install custom themes from popular online repositories, or create, edit, and manage your own personalized CSS stylesheets.

Once you have in installed, the Stylus icon should appear next to where your other extension icons are. Once that appears copy the code provided below.

CSS:
#top > div.p-body > div.p-body-inner > div.uix_contentWrapper > div > div > div:nth-child(1)
{
    height: 111px !important;
}

Then click on the Stylus icon and click on the Resetera link that will appear under Write Style For. Paste the above provided code and save the style. That should fix the issue. Let me know if it works. I think all ads that appear should fit under that but it is possible that a bigger ad might be loaded and break the styling. Let me know in that case and we can increase the ad space size.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
When I tap a thread which I haven't fully read yet, I get to the last page with unread posts. Perfect. But when I have already read all posts, I don't get to the last page as I would expect, but to the first page instead. Is there a setting to change this?

Oct 25, 2017
hey buds is this feature disabled or am I just using it wrong?

In the BB code list, it lists this hidden content feature:
Code:
[HIDEPOSTS]Hides until user reached number of posts.[/HIDEPOSTS]
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but it sounds like you can limit visibility to users under a certain postcount threshold (in specific thread or in total profile? not sure!). But how is that number set? Or am I misinterpreting it?
I tried something like:
Code:
[HIDEPOSTS=7000]Hides until user reached number of posts.[/HIDEPOSTS]
But that didn't work. Users with fewer posts can still see it.
Am I using it wrong or is the feature disabled?

This could potentially really help insiders from getting constantly ran off by guests and newbie accounts blasting their chats all over the internet.

so uuuhhh

hello hello hello

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Why do pages decide to refresh on me? 😖
This has been happening for a month. Only ResetEra is doing this on mobile.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
ColdSun are you aware of any issues with the editor box lately? I'm on Android 10, Chrome.

Specifically, when I try to select text or move/drag my cursor it jumps all over, sometimes deleting random text?

Another is when trying to create line breaks with the "Enter" key the touchscreen keyboard closes. It does make the line break but at the same time, closes the keyboard.

Have you heard of this happening to anyone else?

ColdSun

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't heard of this personally but I'll direct it to our IT team

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, AuthenticM. This is a known behavior of the ad space. Been a while so my memory is a bit fuzzy but we did consider doing create a pre-defined space for the ads instead of having it automatically be created when the ad is filled. We actually do this for a few of the ads already such as guest view for thread lists as there is an ad in the middle of the threads list but I believe we decided against it for the top ad on the forum list for desktop. But there is an option available to you that should fix the issue. It requires for you to use the extension called Stylus that allows you to use CSS to customize websites. You can get it here:

addons.mozilla.org

Stylus – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

Download Stylus for Firefox. Redesign your favorite websites with Stylus, an actively developed and community driven userstyles manager. Easily install custom themes from popular online repositories, or create, edit, and manage your own personalized CSS stylesheets.

Once you have in installed, the Stylus icon should appear next to where your other extension icons are. Once that appears copy the code provided below.

CSS:
#top > div.p-body > div.p-body-inner > div.uix_contentWrapper > div > div > div:nth-child(1)
{
    height: 111px !important;
}

Then click on the Stylus icon and click on the Resetera link that will appear under Write Style For. Paste the above provided code and save the style. That should fix the issue. Let me know if it works. I think all ads that appear should fit under that but it is possible that a bigger ad might be loaded and break the styling. Let me know in that case and we can increase the ad space size.
Finally got around to do this. It seems to work perfectly! Thank you so much for this.

I'm curious: do you remember the reason why you guys decided against using a pre-defined space for that particular ad on desktop, while the other ads got one?

less

Oct 25, 2017
ColdSun are you aware of any issues with the editor box lately? I'm on Android 10, Chrome.

Specifically, when I try to select text or move/drag my cursor it jumps all over, sometimes deleting random text?

Another is when trying to create line breaks with the "Enter" key the touchscreen keyboard closes. It does make the line break but at the same time, closes the keyboard.

Have you heard of this happening to anyone else?

Can you test to confirm if it happens on another browser on your phone? Would like to know if it is restricted to just Chrome.

Finally got around to do this. It seems to work perfectly! Thank you so much for this.

I'm curious: do you remember the reason why you guys decided against using a pre-defined space for that particular ad on desktop, while the other ads got one?

You're welcome.

Been too long as I don't remember. I'll probably have to dig through past discussions but it is probably to avoid having this massive space all the way up top while the ads aren't loaded yet. One of the more common feedbacks we received in the early days was that people didn't want a lot of space before they got to the content (thread list/posts/etc). So while an ad is tolerable enough...having a big empty space might be a bit irksome even if people understand if it is a placeholder for ads.

Any idea why my side menu is missing icons?

4BdEpue.png

Also have some missing icons on the top menu.

I'm on Safari 11.1.2

Is this still an ongoing issue for you? If yes, can you try clearing your cache?