• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Just catching up with the thread, there might be things that I've missed still, but I'll try my best to provide answers, and engage in the conversation. Please, be assured that I'm genuine and sincere here, and I hope my words will convey just as much. If not, I apologize, and will try to clarify myself if need be.

From my personal point of view, as someone who has moderated forums almost as big, if not as big as Era, this reaction to the addition of tags is genuinely surprising. I personally like them enough, I think they're an extremely useful feature, and I remember the times when I first posted on Era a year or two ago, feeling absolutely lost in what felt like a humongous maze-like amount of threads, not neatly organized enough for me to get to where I wanted when I wanted it. I have seen many forums with such feature before, whether implemented from the start, or later afterwards, and I always found this incredibly useful and practical. I have never seen users on those forums being so vividly against this feature, ever. This is a first to me, truthfully.

Now, I'm left wondering why is that the case here. I'm reminded of how changes is often met with negative reactions every time it happened on any social media networks I've been on in the past 15 years. At times, I was part of those negative voices, at others, I didn't care or was happy about the changes. But with each changes, the same negative reactions were still there. Do we fundamentally dislike change as human beings? Probably so, I suppose. But then, is this change a benign one that people will grow to get used to eventually, like we all grew to use and (maybe) like the many iterations of Twitter/Facebook/etc, or is it one akin to the major redesign that Snapchat did a few years ago that lowkey killed their platform because people hated it way too much? The thing is, this tag feature, in essence, is really nowhere near a major redesign, not even remotely so, it feels like a very minor change to me, so I'm still left feeling astounded at the intense reactions we initially received about this feature. I'm genuinely trying to understand it, and I hope you can believe it, but I'm still struggling here.

But maybe my perception is wrong? Surely my personal experiences are mine, and many users have different and valid experiences and opinions as well, and I don't want to negate that either. And I'm not saying that this feature, as is, is perfect. It can be improved, and I've seen people sharing photoshopped screenshots of what they think might make this feature better. I love those, I think they're nice and open up a lot of possibilities, granted that they are even possible to execute on the technical side. There's always ways to improve and perfect, and we're definitely open to that for sure, as proven by the many number of iterations a feature like Giftbot has been through since release. But this feature is here to stay still, we genuinely think it will help a lot of people and will make Era a much easier forum to navigate into. Hopefully we will reach that point in the future. We're already working on bettering it based on feedback we received. We're really trying, and I'm sorry if it seems it isn't enough.

I've seen suggestions about the fact we should have created a thread to announce the feature preemptively, in order to let people know about it and be prepared for it. I think that's a fair one, although maybe a bit difficult to execute technically. See, we don't have a fixed schedule, most of the staff being volunteers means that most of us work on Era when we can, oftentimes juggling between personal/family life, and professional life, and that doesn't even account for timezone differences. The absence of an announcement here was definitely not out malice nor because we wanted to "be sneaky about it", it's mostly because we didn't take the proper time to plan for it, partly because we didn't think we needed one for such a minor change we thought wouldn't be met with such negativity, and partly because we worked on this feature for quite some time and wanted it to go live as soon as possible, excitedly so. Some on staff (I wasn't part of Era back then) also have some reservations about the legitimacy of an announcement thread, vividly reminded of how that didn't help things in the slightest when Era got the 2.0 upgrade back in 2018. Such a thread didn't help to mitigate feelings at all, and apparently 2.0 rollout was still met with intense negativity back then as well anyway. With that being said, I'm in favor of making announcement threads still (accompanied with a site-wide notification), and we'll try to let our users know of upcoming features rollout a few days before they happen, as much as it is possible. It might help, it might not either, but it costs nothing to try for sure.

The other thing that was talked about most is about the creation of an official General Feedback Thread, which we have thought of, and even tried in the past. Again, I wasn't active (and much less part of staff) when it happened, but apparently one already existed before, and turned into such a shitshow that the Staff Team back then decided to scrap it entirely as a result, and to prioritize the Contact Us form over it. I do see why, and I understand it, it's a thorny situation. People have abused the existence of such thread in the past, in ways that became untenable for us to handle properly. That kind of thread is usually a very easy way for many bad faith actors to come and create trouble in a way that we felt wasn't healthy overall. Suggesting one seems like a proper idea as a user, and I had that exact same idea when I got contacted to become a mod back in August. But now, after a bit more experience under the belt, I'm left wondering how would such thread work in a way where users feel heard and listened to, where bad-faith actors are weeded out and don't spoil the conversation, and where staff feels safe enough to freely engage without being overtly antagonized. It's a tricky question, and I'm interested in whichever ideas you all might over this.

Because right now, and I'm aware this isn't something a lot of people want to hear, but our staff team is wearing thin. Most of us are exhausted, mentally, emotionally, simply because this job, in essence just is. We are often confronted to the worse this forum has to offer, on a daily basis, and it takes a toll on us all sooner or later. I remember someone in a post mentioning the fact that we have to take the higher ground and be willing to take any kind of criticism at all times, and that's generally the mindset I'm coming from indeed. However, that also generally leaves me drained, with poor mental-health, and needing regular breaks from moderating (or from even interacting with the forum as a whole) just to recenter myself and feel good enough again. This is, in big part, the reason of our staff turn-over. People get burned out doing this, and end up leaving because they couldn't handle it anymore. This is how we lost many of our minority mods as well (because the mental and emotional toll on us is very often THAT much bigger than for the rest of the team), who often are extremely difficult, if not impossible, to replace. I myself have already thought about quitting the staff team half a dozen times in less than a year already. The apparently common sentiment that mods are easily recruited, and that they easily agree to become staff, and dedicate their time and energy to this forum, is sadly far from our actual reality, and the reason why it makes any single departure that much harder to handle.
This isn't a "woe is me" bit, because I also definitely agreed to do this voluntarily, and because I also know that as an admin, I do have power over other users in this forum, and I do not wish to wield it unfairly and unnecessarily, I feel a huge responsibility over this, knowing the power balance can be shifted when people interact with me, solely because of the existence of the staff title. Quite frankly I often think I'm not worthy of it in the slightest, but I still feel like I ought to try, just because Era is an important place to me, one of the rare ones in which I feel safe enough to be myself. Rest assured, many people on the Staff Team feel similarly as well.

Sorry for this tangential bit here, I hope people won't think I'm trying to deflect, I'm genuinely trying to share my perspective, but feel free to ignore it if isn't helping to see the bigger picture. I kinda lost the thread of this answer, and I probably missed a lot of things I wanted to talk about in the first place but I feel I wrote so much already. But I do hope that this opens up a dialogue, hopefully a productive one. I have taken notes about what needs to be done in order to avoid this situation from happening in the future. I can't promise that you all will like all of what we have in store, but I'll try to make sure we communicate better about those future features, hopefully it will better prepare our community for them, and make our users feel heard and accounted for.

So far, I think those steps can be implemented easily in the future:
- An announcement thread about a new feature being added, a few days before it's been added, with a site-wide notification. Maybe screenshots to showcase the feature if we have proper ones at the ready.
- An official feedback thread about the new feature as soon as it's added, with a site-wide notification, in order to let people have a space to voice their opinions on it as well as ways to maybe help make it better. We won't necessarily always change or tweak a feature, but if the feedback is solid enough, we definitely might.

We are a community of tens of thousands of users. As such, it's always going to be difficult to satisfy each and every one of us, truthfully, and I hope that it is something people are also aware of and keep in mind. With such a huge number of members, there's no other way to go than trying to compromise and make concessions. However, we should still try to open a line of discussion, and hopefully reach a point where most of us are in a good-enough place with it all.
I definitely want to try that.

Last edited:

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Whoof. That is a hell of a reply. Thanks for getting to us, Delphine.

I'm sure some of my more articulated peers can more finely give you the pulse of what's going on, but I do personally believe that while the reaction towards the tags themselves have been dipped in internet hyperbole, from what I understand a separate number (and the loudest) number of grievances were based on how we received updates about the tags, which I believe which is basically comprised of all of B-Dubs posts.

I don't want to ask the rationale behind their posting and wording specifically- that's way too focused. And again I can't speak for a lot of us but I would personally interested in what happened in terms of procedure behind dealing with the immense blowback that tags got- was there going to be any official response aside from when the changes would take effect?

Thank you for noting the two largest ideas echoed throughout the last couple of days- about announcement threads and an official feedback thread. I completely understand where an official feedback thread can go wrong and if we can get some comments on the staff themselves about what happened in the previous iteration I think as a community there could be some worthwhile suggestions on how a thread- very open to bad faith actors, derailing, and and unregulated craziness- could be handled better.

And I'm sorry for the staff, I really am. I've made it known in past posts that I genuinely believe moderating the internet is a hellscape of which man can barely comprehend, let alone this forum where we try to uphold a standard that might be considered as impossible by some. It's not easy. I do want to thank you once more for getting back to us.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The other thing that was talked about most is about the creation of an official General Feedback Thread, which we have thought of, and even tried in the past. Again, I wasn't active (and much less part of staff) when it happened, but apparently one already existed before, and turned into such a shitshow that the Staff Team back then decided to scrap it entirely as a result, and to prioritize the Contact Us form over it. I do see why, and I understand it, it's a thorny situation. People have abused the existence of such thread in the past, in ways that became untenable for us to handle properly. That kind of thread is usually a very easy way for many bad faith actors to come and create trouble in a way that we felt wasn't healthy overall. Suggesting one seems like a proper idea as a user, and I had that exact same idea when I got contacted to become a mod back in August. But now, after a bit more experience under the belt, I'm left wondering how would such thread work in a way where users feel heard and listened to, where bad-faith actors are weeded out and don't spoil the conversation, and where staff feels safe enough to freely engage without being overtly antagonized. It's a tricky question, and I'm interested in whichever ideas you all might over this.

So, since you weren't a part of the forum at the time, I can explain what happened with that thread. Cerium posted a feedback thread for people to bring up general issues they've been having with the forum and moderation itself. The thread had been going for several hours, with positive interactions between staff and users. A user on the forum then brought up issues that they felt were important, and an admin came in to accuse the person of acting in bad faith and that if they post in the thread again they'll be permabanned for it. When a lot of users spoke up and said, "Hey, that's real shitty to do in a thread explicitly for feedback. This person is raising genuine concerns that most of us agree with." the thread was closed and shuttered off to a section of the forum users can't see. The entire thread lasted maybe 12 hours, and has been repeatedly used as a way to bludgeon down the opinions of users or having an ongoing discourse surrounding the moderation on this site while completely ignoring the way that admin's comments were the catalyst for the closing of the thread.

The term "Bad faith" is honestly so wildly misused in online discourse these days, that I can't even tell what exactly it is that you're scared of happening in a feedback thread. It feels like more than anything it's used for people that disagree with you. The idea that tone matters doesn't even fit for what happened in that thread as the post was extremely polite about the issues. And even in the event that trolls or actual bad faith actors exist and pop into those threads, so what? Since when has the existence of a possibility of bad people showing up been an justifiable excuse for shutting down all discussion?

Not every interaction is going to be positive, and some if it is going to frustrate you. But the reason that you all are noticing that tensions are higher than ever is because people have no outlet for these frustrations. It's just building and building and if they ever bring it up on the forum or put any thought into a feedback thread, at best they can expect it locked with no response. At worst, they can expect a ban. It's not a compromise if only one side's views are considered valid.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From my personal point of view, as someone who has moderated forums almost as big, if not as big as Era, this reaction to the addition of tags is genuinely surprising. I personally like them enough, I think they're an extremely useful feature, and I remember the times when I first posted on Era a year or two ago, feeling absolutely lost in what felt like a humongous maze-like amount of threads, not neatly organized enough for me to get to where I wanted when I wanted it. I have seen many forums with such feature before, whether implemented from the start, or later afterwards, and I always found this incredibly useful and practical. I have never seen users on those forums being so vividly against this feature, ever. This is a first to me, truthfully.

Now, I'm left wondering why is that the case here. I'm reminded of how changes is often met with negative reactions every time it happened on any social media networks I've been on in the past 15 years. At times, I was part of those negative voices, at others, I didn't care or was happy about the changes. But with each changes, the same negative reactions were still there. Do we fundamentally dislike change as human beings? Probably so, I suppose. But then, is this change a benign one that people will grow to get used to eventually, like we all grew to use and (maybe) like the many iterations of Twitter/Facebook/etc, or is it one akin to the major redesign that Snapchat did a few years ago that lowkey killed their platform because people hated it way too much? The thing is, this tag feature, in essence, is really nowhere near a major redesign, not even remotely so, it feels like a very minor change to me, so I'm still left feeling astounded at the intense reactions we initially received about this feature. I'm genuinely trying to understand it, and I hope you can believe it, but I'm still struggling here.
there's a dozen good suggestions that could easily fix the issues people have with the placement, design and implmenation of this feature in the now locked thread. It's not a conspiracy, maybe just engage with what people are saying. This attitude is so hostile.

Feb 28, 2020

I can't imagen an official feedback Theard on this board where one could post feedback without the fear of getting banned. The power dynamics between mods and normal users are clearly one sided. That's not a bad thing, but most of the modding is based on unspoken rules and is oftentimes spontaneous and not transparent at all.

Quick question. Why is nobody on the mod team interested in getting paid for their hard work? Surly the amount of add revenue is not the problem here.

You are volunteers with a thankless job, I get it. Instead of complaining about it make this a real job with real responsibilities and a fair compensation. Do you like to do this job because you like to complain how hard and mentaly challenching it is? There is no need for this miserable situation. A mentaly healthy and motivated moderation staff would be better for the community.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't imagen an official feedback Theard on this board where one could post feedback without the fear of getting banned. The power dynamics between mods and normal users are clearly one sided. That's not a bad thing, but most of the modding is based on unspoken rules and is oftentimes spontaneous and not transparent at all.

Quick question. Why is nobody on the mod team interested in getting paid for their hard work? Surly the amount of add revenue is not the problem here.

You are volunteers with a thankless job, I get it. Instead of complaining about it make this a real job with real responsibilities and a fair compensation. Do you like to do this job because you like to complain how hard and mentaly challenching it is? There is no need for this miserable situation. A mentaly healthy and motivated moderation staff would be better for the community.
It doesn't need to be a thread where you're immune to getting banned though. Just have the standard rules apply to such a thread. Of course, not being a staff member I view how the feedback went very differently from how they must view it, it wasn't even supposed to be a permanent thing though, only for the weekend but even then they closed it after mere hours it seemed and then blocked anyone from even being able to access the thread. I still don't understand the latter decision as it made it seem like they were trying to hide what had happened.

I also agree with mods getting paid, if this is indeed a for-profit site (which I assume it is), I have no idea why the staff are willing to do the work for free while someone else makes money from the ad revenues and profits off it.

Oct 28, 2017
Firstly thank you for the response. I will however repeat that this should've been provided before or quickly after bans as it's not a good look. Nothing I write here is meant to come off as hostile or attacking anyone, and if it does then I apologize because that's not the intention.

Most of the pushback I saw seemed to stem more from issues with the tags and the lack of communication with regards to them, how they worked, and if they would be updated. This definitely didnt seem like a "I hate everything about this" response, and more of a "what is this, and why is no one talking about it?". And also the hostile responses from B-Dubs didn't exactly help the situation.

I don't think anyone took it as something of an overhaul, but more of a new feature. But even new features get announcements and places to submit any technical issues with them, which was not provided here.

But maybe my perception is wrong? Surely my personal experiences are mine, and many users have different and valid experiences and opinions as well, and I don't want to negate that either. And I'm not saying that this feature, as is, is perfect. It can be improved, and I've seen people sharing photoshopped screenshots of what they think might make this feature better. I love those, I think they're nice and open up a lot of possibilities, granted that they are even possible to execute on the technical side. There's always ways to improve and perfect, and we're definitely open to that for sure, as proven by the many number of iterations a feature like Giftbot has been through since release. But this feature is here to stay still, we genuinely think it will help a lot of people and will make Era a much easier forum to navigate into. Hopefully we will reach that point in the future. We're already working on bettering it based on feedback we received. We're really trying, and I'm sorry if it seems it isn't enough.

But the problem here is people aren't getting the chance to give feedback on this addition. Giftbot was something that only effected the users that decided to use it and there was way more communication on it, and feedback and bug complaints were allowed unlike this case.

I've seen suggestions about the fact we should have created a thread to announce the feature preemptively, in order to let people know about it and be prepared for it. I think that's a fair one, although maybe a bit difficult to execute technically. See, we don't have a fixed schedule, most of the staff being volunteers means that most of us work on Era when we can, oftentimes juggling between personal/family life, and professional life, and that doesn't even account for timezone differences. The absence of an announcement here was definitely not out malice nor because we wanted to "be sneaky about it", it's mostly because we didn't take the proper time to plan for it, partly because we didn't think we needed one for such a minor change we thought wouldn't be met with such negativity, and partly because we worked on this feature for quite some time and wanted it to go live as soon as possible, excitedly so. Some on staff (I wasn't part of Era back then) also have some reservations about the legitimacy of an announcement thread, vividly reminded of how that didn't help things in the slightest when Era got the 2.0 upgrade back in 2018. Such a thread didn't help to mitigate feelings at all, and apparently 2.0 rollout was still met with intense negativity back then as well anyway. With that being said, I'm in favor of making announcement threads still (accompanied with a site-wide notification), and we'll try to let our users know of upcoming features rollout a few days before they happen, as much as it is possible. It might help, it might not either, but it costs nothing to try for sure.

There's no reason for not having an announcement thread, its been done before why is this time different? As you said things weren't announced with any timeline so the implementation of this feature could have been delayed if the announcement thread was difficult to coordinate. Also in terms of 2.0 that was a mess because users pointed out flaws with the design and bugs but the site design was pushed anyway without making the suggested changes, I feel like the pushback in that case was justified.

This is something that has been discussed over and over and I don't want to get into it now, but considering how some of the staff have been acting lately I definitely think this kind of thread is needed. As you can see from this one thread most of the "hostility" occured not from the users but from the posts by B-Dubs. There has also been many cases where the entire site has been derailed in order for the staff to de-mod certain people because they chose not to listen to people's complaints in the first place. And I definitely think there's some moderators at the moment that need to think about stepping down also because they tend to create the hostility in threads instead of defusing it. At the moment I don't think I would feel comfortable about PMing a mod about any issues, especially when serious reports do be ignored, I would be afraid of being banned in the PM, and people have to make threads to get their account deleted because their PMs have been ignored.

Because right now, and I'm aware this isn't something a lot of people want to hear, but our staff team is wearing thin. Most of us are exhausted, mentally, emotionally, simply because this job, in essence just is. We are often confronted to the worse this forum has to offer, on a daily basis, and it takes a toll on us all sooner or later. I remember someone in a post mentioning the fact that we have to take the higher ground and be willing to take any kind of criticism at all times, and that's generally the mindset I'm coming from indeed. However, that also generally leaves me drained, with poor mental-health, and needing regular breaks from moderating (or from even interacting with the forum as a whole) just to recenter myself and feel good enough again. This is, in big part, the reason of our staff turn-over. People get burned out doing this, and end up leaving because they couldn't handle it anymore. This is how we lost many of our minority mods as well (because the mental and emotional toll on us is very often THAT much bigger than for the rest of the team), who often are extremely difficult, if not impossible, to replace. I myself have already thought about quitting the staff team half a dozen times in less than a year already. The apparently common sentiment that mods are easily recruited, and that they easily agree to become staff, and dedicate their time and energy to this forum, is sadly far from our actual reality, and the reason why it makes any single departure that much harder to handle.

I agree moderators shouldn't have to feel like crap while volunteering to do this (or even if they were being paid). But then again you're a volunteer, you can quit if it gets too much, and honestly I would recommend that (but if you were getting paid this would be a much different story). But you also have some moderators going into threads and starting crap, derailing entire threads, and posting things which are questionable at best. Some accountability needs to be taken. Also minority staff leaving seems to be more because of a lack of action on discriminatory issues which is continuing to happen.

And in terms of this update, why did it go ahead of everyone is spread thin. This wasn't a necessary update, it could've been delayed, but it wasn't, and that's not the users faults. We have to use the site as well and the only people that can fix things to do with the update are staff members, and if no communication is happening there, as there hasn't been in many areas of this site, then of course people are going to start getting annoyed.

- An announcement thread about a new feature being added, a few days before it's been added, with a site-wide notification. Maybe screenshots to showcase the feature if we have proper ones at the ready.

- An official feedback thread about the new feature as soon as it's added, with a site-wide notification, in order to let people have a space to voice their opinions on it as well as ways to maybe help make it better. We won't necessarily always change or tweak a feature, but if the feedback is solid enough, we definitely might.

This was being done for most of the other updates to the site, from minor to major ones so why not this time? This is a step in the right direction, but one thing, if there's not a screenshot available for the change, then the change probably isn't ready to be implemented.

Finally its definitely understood that the staff are volunteers and don't deserve hostility directed at them. But as they take up the role they need to understand that communication between staff and users is what the role mostly comprises of, and if that can't be done efficiently then maybe something needs to be changed. And like I said at the beginning of this, this problem has mostly stemmed from a lack of communication on the update and not the fact that people hate the tags. This is the key point here which hasn't seemed to have been fully understood.

(If there's incorrect spelling, or shitty grammar I'm sorry, posting long posts from a phone is difficult.............and I'm terrible at spelling 🙃)

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
BDS's ban...

I have said it before and I will say it again: the staff holds all the power on this forum. Regular users can't do shit, no matter how angry we are or how hostile we sound. That doesn't mean people should be allowed to insult the staff as they please. Words aren't empty or without consequences. But no matter how bad it gets, as a staff member you always have to recognize and respect the imbalance of powers, and show restraint in exercising your ability to effectively silence users.

The fact that people on ERA often preface even perfectly polite feedback with the words "I may get banned for this" should be a massive red flag and wake-up call. People must be allowed to be angry, to be frustrated and to speak their minds without fear of instant repercussions. Especially long-time and valued members of the community, like BDS. There are so many things you could have done here, but you chose the least favorable interpretation of her words and banned her on sight.

Her ban duration is currently pending, which usually bodes poorly. I can only hope you do the right thing and overturn it entirely.

This goes for Frump's ban as well, but at least his isn't that long, even if it's just as undeserved.

The other thing that was talked about most is about the creation of an official General Feedback Thread, which we have thought of, and even tried in the past. Again, I wasn't active (and much less part of staff) when it happened, but apparently one already existed before, and turned into such a shitshow that the Staff Team back then decided to scrap it entirely as a result, and to prioritize the Contact Us form over it.
This part caught my eye.

The thread you are referring to was a pilot of sorts, where users and staff could talk to each other about site-related topics. People were critical, but discourse was generally respectful. Until one user expressed her grievances over prior staff behavior, I believe it was a ban. This was met by an incredibly aggressive and tonedeaf response by an admin. Other users responded as you would expect, furiously, and the thread was quickly closed and hidden from public view. The staff later apologized for the aforementioned response and promised to evaluate the feedback and do better.

That was almost two years ago and we haven't heard about it since.

To reiterate: we finally received a general feedback thread 10 months (!) into the site existence, but it was closed in less than a day and deleted. The staff fucked up, they admitted as much, yet to this day the users are held responsible because apparently it's still used as an argument against opening a public feedback thread. Like it's a privelege that has to be earned, and not a goddamn right on a forum founded by the community, for the community.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Delphine, as someone who participated in the thread when the tags launched, the majority of the criticism was regarding readability and appearance, not the functionality of the tags. While some of us disagreed on the value of tags, we can always choose not to click on them, and no harm done. The visual issues remain, however. The tags are distracting while browsing and reading thread titles, same as the avatars in the thread titles are.

I might be remembering this wrong, but when the avatars were added to the thread titles there was the same exact feedback and an option was added to hide them. Maybe the ability to turn them off was there right away? Like I said, I might not be remembering it correctly. I know I have them turned off in the settings, and it is a major improvement. That was all most of us were asking for here, the same option to at least hide the visual elements of these new tags. I will be open minded to the changes being worked on.

I am sorry that you all are stretched too thin, and I appreciate the work that goes into keeping this place running.

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I wasn't here because of the tags but because of the response. I would like to hide the tags but (a) I barely use the Era front page these days and (b) the aesthetic dent is something I can deal with if I have to, so they are not a large issue for me.

Rather, the reason I came into this conversation and stayed in this conversation is because of the staff response heretofore (speaking optimistically), which has been all too familiar. I'm glad you are trying to talk to us now.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
So, since you weren't a part of the forum at the time, I can explain what happened with that thread. Cerium posted a feedback thread for people to bring up general issues they've been having with the forum and moderation itself. The thread had been going for several hours, with positive interactions between staff and users. A user on the forum then brought up issues that they felt were important, and an admin came in to accuse the person of acting in bad faith and that if they post in the thread again they'll be permabanned for it. When a lot of users spoke up and said, "Hey, that's real shitty to do in a thread explicitly for feedback. This person is raising genuine concerns that most of us agree with." the thread was closed and shuttered off to a section of the forum users can't see. The entire thread lasted maybe 12 hours, and has been repeatedly used as a way to bludgeon down the opinions of users or having an ongoing discourse surrounding the moderation on this site while completely ignoring the way that admin's comments were the catalyst for the closing of the thread.

The term "Bad faith" is honestly so wildly misused in online discourse these days, that I can't even tell what exactly it is that you're scared of happening in a feedback thread. It feels like more than anything it's used for people that disagree with you. The idea that tone matters doesn't even fit for what happened in that thread as the post was extremely polite about the issues. And even in the event that trolls or actual bad faith actors exist and pop into those threads, so what? Since when has the existence of a possibility of bad people showing up been an justifiable excuse for shutting down all discussion?

Not every interaction is going to be positive, and some if it is going to frustrate you. But the reason that you all are noticing that tensions are higher than ever is because people have no outlet for these frustrations. It's just building and building and if they ever bring it up on the forum or put any thought into a feedback thread, at best they can expect it locked with no response. At worst, they can expect a ban. It's not a compromise if only one side's views are considered valid.

Yeah, I was moderating when that thread went down and while my hands are really tied re: talking about what went down on the moderator side of that, I don't think it would be inappropriate to say there were a lot of moderators then that were not thrilled with how that whole thing went down on the staff side of things as well. I disagree with you in that I am kind of neutral towards the idea of a feedback thread and if it would actually be productive or not. Honestly I find the feedback about this forum change extremely petty on the users end. This being said, this like many other issues that have come up recently should be considered a canary in the coal mine re: the sites health and only staff have the ability to cultivate change and make things better, and as it stands they aren't fulfilling on that.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Like I said earlier.

As a feature to let people sort threads: A
As an implementation in how it looks: C
As communication to the site for the feature and responding to feedback: F

1 and 2 are very subjective for each user. 3 = unforced errors and the staff has nobody to blame but themselves. There was zero reason for the thread it was being discussed in, especially since it had multiple staff members participating in it, to not be renamed so more people knew what was going on. When people created threads with an accurate title that let people know what was going on within them instead of being cryptic they were all locked. Don't lock threads about site features without directing people to where said features can be discussed. It's done with duplicate threads and it should be the same.

Oct 25, 2017

As interesting as it's been to watch another manager call members whiners while demanding they stop clogging up his forum and throwing out bans, this reply is much more practical. Thanks! I know it's hard not to take design criticisms personally, especially when it's coming from a handful of strangers on the internet that are not necessarily polite. But replies like this are much more pragmatic and far less...provoking.

When one person came up with an alternative design suggestion that was well received by many, they also demonstrated that the idea wasn't the problem, it was the design implementation. Anything beyond that was obfuscating the issue. We don't need to wonder about human nature to resolve this design complaint. And it sounds like management took the suggestions and made some improvements in testing, so that's awesome! I look forward to seeing them hit live.

It doesn't need to be more complicated than the fact that people didn't like how it was implemented from a design point of view, and were disgruntled that it was made live without even one person taking a screenshot and asking "so how does this look?" and then seeing user feedback getting locked down after-the-fact. Feedback on this was completely mismanaged, but thankfully it sounds like that will be more easily addressed in the future.

As for the demonstrated test changes for the new feature, I like a lot what I see from the "test site" screenshot. It looks good on mobile now, doesn't mess with title alignment anymore. Neat and tidy. Now I'm interested in seeing how that pans out for desktop.

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I find the feedback about this forum change extremely petty on the users end.
The users are petty? Really? People just wanted communication (and any people attacking mods were in a minority). The petty one was B-Dubs and their hostile responses to anyone that asked about or criticised this change. We've had several threats of bans, multiple locked threads both without message and ones with simply "seriously" as the lock message, telling users they're whining when asking about communication and the only thread that even properly discussed the change was called nothing to do with it.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
The users are petty? Really? People just wanted communication (and any people attacking mods were in a minority). The petty one was B-Dubs and their hostile responses to anyone that asked about or criticised this change. We've had several threats of bans, multiple locked threads both without message and ones with simply "seriously" as the lock message, telling users they're whining when asking about communication and the only thread that even properly discussed the change was called nothing to do with it.

Respectfully, yes. I stick by that appraisal. It's no good when staff lash back, and I very well am not without criticism of the state of the forum today, but there are alot of users acting like children.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just catching up with the thread, there might be things that I've missed still, but I'll try my best to provide answers, and engage in the conversation. Please, be assured that I'm genuine and sincere here, and I hope my words will convey just as much. If not, I apologize, and will try to clarify myself if need be.

This isn't a "woe is me" bit, because I also definitely agreed to do this voluntarily, and because I also know that as an admin, I do have power over other users in this forum, and I do not wish to wield it unfairly and unnecessarily, I feel a huge responsibility over this, knowing the power balance can be shifted when people interact with me, solely because of the existence of the staff title. Quite frankly I often think I'm not worthy of it in the slightest, but I still feel like I ought to try, just because Era is an important place to me, one of the rare ones in which I feel safe enough to be myself. Rest assured, many people on the Staff Team feel similarly as well.

Sorry for this tangential bit here, I hope people won't think I'm trying to deflect, I'm genuinely trying to share my perspective, but feel free to ignore it if isn't helping to see the bigger picture. I kinda lost the thread of this answer, and I probably missed a lot of things I wanted to talk about in the first place but I feel I wrote so much already. But I do hope that this opens up a dialogue, hopefully a productive one. I have taken notes about what needs to be done in order to avoid this situation from happening in the future. I can't promise that you all will like all of what we have in store, but I'll try to make sure we communicate better about those future features, hopefully it will better prepare our community for them, and make our users feel heard and accounted for.

We are a community of tens of thousands of users. As such, it's always going to be difficult to satisfy each and every one of us, truthfully, and I hope that it is something people are also aware of and keep in mind. With such a huge number of members, there's no other way to go than trying to compromise and make concessions. However, we should still try to open a line of discussion, and hopefully reach a point where most of us are in a good-enough place with it all.
Thanks for the response.

The emotional toll being a mod here takes has been something pretty universal I've seen from current and past mods on this site. I'm sure it's been discussed internally but I'm wondering what makes this site so strenuous to moderate compared to others. Or, as I've never modded a large community, if they are all like this and it's simply 'part of the job'. Something to consider, I suppose. Though an overall community mindset/attitude change is a lot harder to accomplish and takes far longer.

That said, I do think those talking about paying mods being a solution here is a little shortsighted. While paying mods would be nice that still doesn't magically make all of the emotional and mental stress just disappear. Instead you would have some money plus feeling emotionally drained which is not a great solution at all.

But I do hope the suggestion to make an announcement thread plus a feedback thread on that change is taken into account. Unfortunately I've seen too many 'we're thinking about it' from staff here to have total faith it will be done but optimism doesn't hurt.
To be honest I agree with Robin. Hell, the main thread people used to talk about the tags was titled 'The f is this?' and you can go through those pages and find plenty of petty attacks.

And to clarify this doesn't excuse not having an announcement thread for the tags nor does it discount the feedback for the tag system. There's just a much better way to do it than be petty about it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Firstly, let me extend a heartfelt thank you for being willing to engage without antagonism or condescension. I tagged you among the staff for that reason, though I'd still like others to participate and provide diverse perspectives as well. Putting dialogue on the shoulders of a lone representative is unduly stressful. We're all members of this community, and other staff should speak up as well if they're comfortable doing so.

I have seen many forums with such feature before, whether implemented from the start, or later afterwards, and I always found this incredibly useful and practical. I have never seen users on those forums being so vividly against this feature, ever. This is a first to me, truthfully.

The tags in and of themselves are not an issue for anyone, I think. What rankled people was the suddenness of their obstructiveness -- the lack of communication or seeking of feedback, which was the proverbial straw on the camel's back of a long line of communication failures -- especially since it was followed up with more silence, and then antagonism by an admin. To quote my original post in here on how I would suggest handling such situations (which you may have already read):

"Case-in-point: these tags. How should these have been handled in order to minimize community outcry and foster a more positive and productive discussion, free of reactionary vitriol?
  • Create a stickied thread preemptively announcing the intention of implementing the feature.
  • Show the community what it would look like, using the test site you just took a screenshot of.
  • Take in feedback on said design before it's implemented, so it can be as palatable and cohesive as possible.
    • Assuming this is technically feasible, or even necessary after design iteration, perhaps even allow people to turn off the tag visuals while mandating tagging in thread creation, both to (a) keep the functionality for search purposes, and (b) minimize workload on moderation to manually implement tags.
      • (Although this goes against the stated intention that most threads would not receive tags -- if they were less visually garish and incongruous with the thread list to begin with, perhaps it would not be an issue for all threads to have a mandated tag during creation.)"
Rather than just a brief notice prior to implementation, engage the community well beforehand, and let them into the process, so that there can be no unpleasant surprises. Let's work together to workshop things like the tags into a form that's least obstructive to the user experience -- because that's what the site... well, is. We all appreciate the efforts put into the site and its features by the technical staff, and the forum is filled with professional members who can provide help and experience as well.

And maybe I'm missing something, but what does erratic scheduling have to do with anything in regards to preemptive communication? Simply create a thread when you have a concept for a feature that'll impact site usability to inform the community. Let them provide feedback that'll inherently be cooler-tempered because the feature is not in effect. Iterate on that feedback while it's in the design stage. Everyone's happy (or as close to everyone as can be gotten on a large forum).

This doesn't have to be something that's scheduled for when all staff are available, or during a brief window.

As Ketkat and ClearMetal said, a General Feedback thread has never been tried in any meaningful capacity by staff. The previous one's quick implosion was a case-in-point for precisely why we need one to begin with. It isn't the community's fault it didn't succeed.

The fact of the matter is, as a userbase -- on a public forum which was began by the community, for the community -- we have been without a venue to publicly aggregate feedback for years. That is a very large part of why the community-staff relations are as toxic and embittered as they are.

Yes, such a thread would be uncomfortable at first. Because there are literal years of baggage. That's just the reality. But unless we unpack that, it's only going to continue to fester, poisoning the forum until it collapses. And the greenlighting of such a proposition is solely in your collective hands. We are helpless, at your mercy.

Compounding that is the fact that the staff exercise little restraint or awareness in the usage of their punitive powers, and use the fact that they're decided by a committee -- which, again, is prone to the group think, peer pressure, and closed-rank defensiveness as any other insular group -- as a shield to deflect criticism from their decisions. Immediately banning someone for bigotry is one thing, but longtime valued users shouldn't be banned -- and potentially run off for good -- for comparatively minor reasons, in understandably emotional circumstances. Warnings exist for a reason.

The bannings of BDS and Frump are a convenient at-hand example. Yes, they weren't kind, and they weren't bending over backwards to punctuate their thoughts with sympathy for the staff, but frankly that shouldn't be a requirement to have any dialogue -- because the staff have continuously made egregious errors that are unable to be talked about without further punishment. Must I really point out that that creates an oppressive and authoritarian atmosphere from a member's perspective, which only cultivates frustrations like theirs? Which isn't their fault. It's the staff's.

Further recent examples would be the bannings in and after the Shamima Begum fiasco. To recap from memory: a moderator said something terribly insensitive (that a victim of teenage grooming with no concrete crimes to her name deserved life in prison) -- which would have caught any normal user a ban of some duration, let's be perfectly honest -- and when a victim of abuse spoke out against her, he was banned for a month, as were others agreeing with him. Another staff member justified that with an urban dictionary quotation which ignored apparent real world colloquial usage of the word said member used, using instead the least charitable interpretation to justify a lengthy ban.

Various users who attempted to bring it up afterwards were banned for "ignoring the staff post" in the remade thread, but that fundamentally ignores the fact that there was no place for such feedback. This is why a General Feedback thread is so crucial to the forum's health. These things need to be litigated. If the community at large demonstrates collective outcry over a staff decision, staff need to bite the bullet and accept that perhaps they are wrong, just as they were in Ketkat's own banning -- the reversal of which was like pulling teeth, and took the entire community erupting in fury.

Sorry for this tangential bit here, I hope people won't think I'm trying to deflect, I'm genuinely trying to share my perspective, but feel free to ignore it if isn't helping to see the bigger picture.

Again, let me demonstrate appreciation for how real you're being, and my sympathies for the staff's mental exhaustion. I understand it well, having been a member since the forum's inception, as well as having been a moderator-turned-administrator on an old forum myself.

As for moderation recruitment: forgive me, but the process doesn't seem public? And because it's not public, how would anyone know whether community members would step up or not? The pool of people who you could manually contact must be perishingly small compared to what a public recruitment effort could garner. (None of this is to say that staff are not valuable or should be thought of as expendable; however, if they grow tired or unhealthy, they should step away without fear that their place couldn't be filled.)

Bottom line: release the pressure on the valve, or it's only going to get worse, and worse, and worse. Feedback is the uncomfortable first step in transforming the forum's atmosphere into a more positive, transparent, and inclusive space. Its tone can still be subject to moderation (although I would hope leniently unless extreme), and staff can still be protected from harassment, but we need to improve community-staff relations at a fundamental level.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Respectfully, yes. I stick by that appraisal. It's no good when staff lash back, and I very well am not without criticism of the state of the forum today, but there are alot of users acting like children.
I think there's a combination of people who are genuine but have trouble expressing their views, and people who are more interested in seeing drama. I get emotional at times on this site and can get pretty abrasive at times, but other times I just feel that my opinions and even my own self aren't really going to be considered important here so I'm also just like "fuck it" at times. I guess with a site consisting of thousands you're most likely going to get lost in the shuffle, on top of personal issues people already have. Like, it's pretty clear many people here are not a happy bunch, and when they're also unhappy while browsing here, they're going to direct it at the staff as they are the ones with visible power.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
let's try to find a favorable interpretation of calling volunteers spending hundreds of hours 'the rot'

I think BDS chose her words very poorly, and came off much too strong. I don't personally agree with her appraisal. There's many staff members who are objectively positive forces, and I don't think any one of them is actively malicious.

But collectively, there have been serious systemic issues for a long while, transcending turnover. So I understand the point nestled in her caustic and hyperbolic anger, even if I don't condone the form of it. The fundaments of forum policy need to be re-examined to create a better and more inclusive atmosphere.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
But collectively, there have been serious systemic issues for a long while, transcending turnover. So I understand the point nestled in her caustic and hyperbolic anger, even if I don't condone the form of it. The fundaments of forum policy need to be re-examined to create a better and more inclusive atmosphere.
Lol at conflating "I don't like forum feature" with diversity issues.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the response.

The emotional toll being a mod here takes has been something pretty universal I've seen from current and past mods on this site. I'm sure it's been discussed internally but I'm wondering what makes this site so strenuous to moderate compared to others. Or, as I've never modded a large community, if they are all like this and it's simply 'part of the job'. Something to consider, I suppose. Though an overall community mindset/attitude change is a lot harder to accomplish and takes far longer.

That said, I do think those talking about paying mods being a solution here is a little shortsighted. While paying mods would be nice that still doesn't magically make all of the emotional and mental stress just disappear. Instead you would have some money plus feeling emotionally drained which is not a great solution at all.

But I do hope the suggestion to make an announcement thread plus a feedback thread on that change is taken into account. Unfortunately I've seen too many 'we're thinking about it' from staff here to have total faith it will be done but optimism doesn't hurt.

To be honest I agree with Robin. Hell, the main thread people used to talk about the tags was titled 'The f is this?' and you can go through those pages and find plenty of petty attacks.

And to clarify this doesn't excuse not having an announcement thread for the tags nor does it discount the feedback for the tag system. There's just a much better way to do it than be petty about it.

Thank you, and after letting my thoughts solidify more I do agree now a feedback thread is necessary, I just don't think it is a going to be a complete solution.

I think there's a combination of people who are genuine but have trouble expressing their views, and people who are more interested in seeing drama. I get emotional at times on this site and can get pretty abrasive at times, but other times I just feel that my opinions and even my own self aren't really going to be considered important here so I'm also just like "fuck it" at times. I guess with a site consisting of thousands you're most likely going to get lost in the shuffle, on top of personal issues people already have. Like, it's pretty clear many people here are not a happy bunch, and when they're also unhappy while browsing here, they're going to direct it at the staff as they are the ones with visible power.

I am sympathetic to those who lash out out of desperation, and that for many this is a last straw sort of situation. I think as both a long time user and as someone who formerly was a moderator, scenarios like this one specifically are a pain point because they are not tied to an actual social cause and because of that, they become moments where we are at risk of letting concerns from legit users congeal with the trolls and bad faith users, and when that happens there are a lot of hurt feelings and rationality does not always prevail from either side. Think back to Steam/EGS controversies, previous feature rollouts, or other such nonsense.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for stopping by Delphine, your post is appreciated. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the worst of the forum and how that impacts staff, and you all feeling unsafe is something we should all try to work to avoid.

At the same time, as you seem to be aware of, you having the power to temporarily or permanently revoke our access to the site makes it harder for some of us to want to post in these instances. It seems as if both staff and users were scared of each other, if that makes any sense. And that isolates us all, creating smaller groups that feel like they need to defend their own.

Talking is our only way to solve that. With no chance for feedback other than through PMs or Contact forms, it builds up indefinitely, and shows up in these circumstances. Actually addressing whatever comes out of talking eases those tensions and, best case scenario, should result in an overall better experience for staff.

Some on staff (I wasn't part of Era back then) also have some reservations about the legitimacy of an announcement thread, vividly reminded of how that didn't help things in the slightest when Era got the 2.0 upgrade back in 2018. Such a thread didn't help to mitigate feelings at all, and apparently 2.0 rollout was still met with intense negativity back then as well anyway.

The 2.0 update was comissioned to proffesional designers and its announcement came two or three weeks before the final implementation. In that timeframe, plenty of people chimed in to give feedback about stuff that, as you may imagine, was a far bigger deal to user experience than tags considering it overhauled the whole forum.

IMHO the problem with 2.0 and tags is that they both were worked on for an extensive period of time without consulting the community at all, only to be shared when launch was imminent and inevitable. It's nice to hear that you're considering announcements threads for future updates, but what about taking a more participative approach? Instead of designing top-down, just straight out say "Hey folks, we've been thinking about implementing tags for the forum, what do you say? If you'd like these, how do you think we could do it?". Engage with us, there's plenty of knowledgable members who can offer coding advice, point out to other sites' experiences, make neat mock-ups, etc.

That way you not only improve the final result but make the community feel like they're actually helping to shape their own forum, instead of giving feedback to fix something they may never actually asked for. Which, agreed, can be full of hyperbole sometimes.

I'm left wondering how would such thread work in a way where users feel heard and listened to, where bad-faith actors are weeded out and don't spoil the conversation, and where staff feels safe enough to freely engage without being overtly antagonized. It's a tricky question, and I'm interested in whichever ideas you all might over this.

You've been trying new stuff with the Meetings and that could be used to filter out people by join date or post count, like you do with Junior members. It wouldn't only weed out bad faith actors, but also make the volume of posts by participants more manageable for staff. It would admittedly risk getting a lot of folks out, but there's probably other ideas for this.

Whatever shape the space takes, it should be viewable only by members and implement hard rules for moderation for you all to feel safe there. As long as those are clearly defined in the OP most people, especially if they're long-time users, should be civil enough.

Quick question. Why is nobody on the mod team interested in getting paid for their hard work? Surely the amount of add revenue is not the problem here.
I also agree with mods getting paid, if this is indeed a for-profit site (which I assume it is), I have no idea why the staff are willing to do the work for free while someone else makes money from the ad revenues and profits off it.

While this is something that'd be nice to hear about, I'm not sure the site makes as much revenue as to pay the whole moderation team, which is huge. Dunno if it would even cover the admins. They should all be compensated in some way, though.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
While this is something that'd be nice to hear about, I'm not sure the site makes as much revenue as to pay the whole moderation team, which is huge. Dunno if it would even cover the admins. They should all be compensated in some way, though.

I have always been under the impression the website is not actually profitable.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
You've been trying new stuff with the Meetings and that could be used to filter out people by join date or post count, like you do with Junior members. It wouldn't only weed out bad faith actors, but also make the volume of posts by participants more manageable for staff. It would admittedly risk getting a lot of folks out, but there's probably other ideas for this.

Whatever shape the space takes, it should be viewable only by members and implement hard rules for moderation for you all to feel safe there. As long as those are clearly defined in the OP most people, especially if they're long-time users, should be civil enough.

Precisely. There's tons of ways to curate a Feedback Thread to minimize the inevitable uncomfortability of it, while still allowing for honest feedback by members, without fear of banning for merely being critical or objecting to something.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I find that hard to believe. In that case, I'd support another ad or two.
That surprises me. It seems then you'd have to enough money in reserves to bankroll this.

Don't misunderstand, I have no way of knowing. That's what was always told to us though as moderators. Cerium would never talk financials to forum staff but there was always an implication that we were squeeking by and that the website was taking it's toll on Cerium and those who were directly involved with it's founding, which I and others took to mean that the website was bleeding cash.

I and other moderators never asked for payment, it was never a part of the plan or negotiation. Also, if you were not aware, Admins are also volunteer and not paid. I'm not even sure who is profiting / paying for ResetEra at this point and if it is still Cerium or B-Dubz or what.

Anyway I'm tired and am going to go to bed before I really say too much and step on anyones toes or hurt any feelings.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This is a shit show. The tags are ugly, distracting and annoying, but the worst part of this all has been the absolute bullshit attitudes from the mods and GM of the site. Closing feedback threads left and right while telling users to essentially quit whining or else.

Delphine, you said that in the future you'll make changes to announce things and provide feedback threads. How about we start now? Disable the feature for the moment, implement a feedback and opinion-gathering thread and then return to it in a month. But all we get is the same dismissive BS and circling the wagons. And you wonder why mod-user relations on this site keep going to shit. How many times do we need to have these long posts about listening to users and what can change for the future?

This issue has been forced into a completely unrelated thread on a side forum with limited eyes. Why? The king grows weary of the little people's voices?

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't misunderstand, I have no way of knowing. That's what was always told to us though as moderators. Cerium would never talk financials to forum staff but there was always an implication that we were squeeking by and that the website was taking it's toll on Cerium and those who were directly involved with it's founding, which I and others took to mean that the website was bleeding cash.

I and other moderators never asked for payment, it was never a part of the plan or negotiation. Also, if you were not aware, Admins are also volunteer and not paid. I'm not even sure who is profiting / paying for ResetEra at this point and if it is still Cerium or B-Dubz or what.

Anyway I'm tired and am going to go to bed before I really say too much and step on anyones toes or hurt any feelings.
That just seems strange though, I don't know why they'd imply it if they didn't want to go into details. I guess it could be true that this site isn't profitable, but it just begs the question then of how this place is even sustainable. Clearly Cerium couldn't handle it as he stepped down, the toll it's taking on B-Dubs is obvious from the posts in here, so if the staff/admins can't handle it and it's not bringing in any money to justify putting up with that, I don't know how this place is going to last for any relevant period of time.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm not even sure who is profiting / paying for ResetEra at this point and if it is still Cerium or B-Dubz or what.
To be honest, I don't think anybody knows.

I remember we talked about money when the forum was founded, as obviously the server costs had to be paid. However we were told soon after, within days, that money was no longer an issue and Cerium (I think? maybe others were involved as well) would cover the first couple of months, giving us plenty of time to create a steady inflow of money to host the site. That was the last I heard of it.

I have to say I find it odd that even the moderators were never let in on the financial situation.

Times have changed obviously and the energy of those weeks surrounding ResetEra's founding is long gone. But I remember a lot of people were ready to chip in and pay for server costs. Personally speaking, not knowing where my money would go has always prevented me from signing up for Era Clear. But I would be more than happy to pay 5 - 10 bucks per month if this money is solely used to pay the staff and cover hosting expenses.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's acceptable that staff that talks about being "transparent" isn't open about Era finances. That needs to end. Be upfront about what revenue, if any, Cerium is earning from the site. The secrecy behind it is suspect as hell.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Personally speaking, not knowing where my money would go has always prevented me from signing up for Era Clear. But I would be more than happy to pay 5 - 10 bucks per month if this money is solely used to pay the staff and cover hosting expenses.

Yeah, I think a lot of us would. Despite the frustration, criticism, and protests, most people do care about the staff, as an extension of their care for this place and the community that makes it.

That's why it's so important that we attempt to solve these dilemmas of policy and silence, and ease tensions that've been mounting unabated for years, because there's no reason staff and community need to be perpetually at odds. Communication is just the only way forward, and that's a two-way street.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
If the site was really bleeding cash they should be upfront about it and I'm sure we could crowdfund to keep it going. Or put up another ad. There is no reason anyone should be losing money to run this site.

Oct 25, 2017
They are not bleeding cash; they just don't want to reveal the revenue because it will lead to actual discussions regarding labour and compensation. Mods will continue to browbeat us with the abused volunteer rhetoric while being hostile regarding transparent discussion of unpaid labour.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I have seen many forums with such feature before, whether implemented from the start, or later afterwards, and I always found this incredibly useful and practical. I have never seen users on those forums being so vividly against this feature, ever. This is a first to me, truthfully.

Now, I'm left wondering why is that the case here.
I don't think anyone is complaining about the functionality, since it's super useful and (in theory) works great. Not every user uses the tags when creating a new thread, so Era should probably make it mandatory and create an 'other' tag for everything that's not news or an OT or whatever there are tags for at the moment. At the moment you're ending up with news threads not being labeled as such, and I'm currently looking at a watchlist where for every 4 or 5 OT's with the tag there's one without the tag. Things like that make lists of threads and boards look like a mess.

The problem with the tags is 100% how they are implemented. They are in front of the thread titles, and every tag has a different width. Just look at the example below to see how ugly (for lack of a better word) and cluttered the tags make the list of threads.

J9P5ecs.png

Were all tags the same width, placed in their own column (like the avatars that make the pages look super cluttered and distracting and add nothing, which luckily can be disabled), or somewhere else in stead of in front of the thing you're supposed to read, it would totally be okay. But right now they are in the way of readability and they are super distracting.

Another Xenforo board I frequent also uses tags, but they force you to use one and have an 'other' tag for threads that don't fit the rest of the tags, and all the tags have exactly the same width (I think they're images). So every list of threads looks very neat and is perfectly readable without titles starting all over the place. And yes, their functionality is a very nice addition :).

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Massive, massive thank you for this

I think a lot of posters have already commented on some of the things in your post, so I'd again like to echo that a feedback thread could be managed to limit the number of unhelpful posts.

The thing is, this is now the feedback thread. I was honestly thinking about just leaving the forum after a dozen amazing posts in good faith with good suggestions were met with an "Ok, stop clogging up this thread now" and an implication bans would be met for further derailing

The last forum was run as an authoritarian dictatorship and that was the main issue with it, and why we left, and it was hugely disappointing to be told to just knock it off in the last place we were discussing this. Think about how absurd it is that we're even having this conversation in a year old thread for an old site update

The tags are conceptually not a problem, and maybe some of the criticism was petty or poorly worded. But it would have taken 10 seconds to say "These are here to stay, and we won't be looking for a way to turn the visual aspects off" but we went days before that was confirmed, with discussion only allowed for a brief time in a thread with a silly name, while any other thread on the subject was locked without redirecting to somewhere where that information was present

I don't like the tags because they don't seem varied enough to be useful and they're not uniform so they make reading the forum more difficult. There are dozens of ways this can be tweaked and improved, and it does seem like they're being worked on, which I appreciate, so in time I don't think this will be an issue, but even if only 10% don't like them, that's 10% of 50,000 members, which is 5,000 people, and those people were essentially given no official way to talk about this, and the only post saying they were even being worked on was buried in a locked thread called "The F is this"

Being a mod/admin must be a thankless task, so I agree with some other posters that maybe you should have a public application process where people are able to apply to be a mod, maybe for a short period of time (let's say a month) so you can essentially have a large team of posters who can be called up if moderation needs more people on board

This would give current mods an opportunity to take a break and know that won't hurt the overall staff team. You'd be able to step back for a month if you needed time to step away, and know there are 4/5 posters who have been mods in the past, who can be asked to cover you for a month until you're happy to step back in. You could even move to a rota where there are 50 mods in total but only 20 are ever active at any one time. This would maybe prevent burnout and the high staff turnover. A lot of former mods are still here and still posting, so maybe they'd be happy to step back up if they could do so for a month at a time

I also think people here should maybe stop talking about the sites finances, as all we can do is speculate without any hard data on the issue, so I doubt these types of posts will be able to improve the forum in any way, whereas there are a ton of really simple things staff can do to improve the site and it's relationship with users, and I think this is where the immediate focus should be

To sum up, this is now a feedback thread, and I don't think anyone has said anything ban worthy or in bad faith since Delphine posted, so I think that shows a feedback thread absolutely can work. I also think a lot of the petty and mean spirited posting about the tags would have been avoided if there was a thread explaining the new feature, selling it to us, letting us know how it should be used, and letting us know the feature as it was on day 1, was not the final iteration.

I actually agree that we are now clogging up the bugs thread with this unrelated conversation, so maybe it is time to move this discussion to it's own thread

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you, great post. There's plenty of legitimate issues people have with moderation, while many other users are just salty for getting banned for trolling. Of course there needs to be a separation of the two, but the thing is... there really isn't a way for standard users to talk about moderation. Threads discussing moderation are tendentially closed. It may even lead to bans. The Contact Us form usually leads to no answer. Most reports don't get an answer so you don't really know whether they were read, ignored, found wrong, and often even if the report did result in a sanction you still may not hear back. Contacting mods/admins directly is a lottery, sometimes you get what you are looking for, other times you just end up wasting your time and theirs alike.

For a forum built on transparency and inclusion, this is not enough. Perhaps there needs to be more mods, maybe mods need more control, maybe there has to be more threads and a more open discussion about decisions. I don't run the place, I'm not gonna pretend to know how to a board this big. But when you have legitimate issues and concerns with users bullying, trolling, insulting, and your attempts to do something all seemingly get ignored, it's easy to become demotivated. At various times I stopped sending reports because they seemed futile. This shouldn't be the solution.

Oct 25, 2017
I also think people here should maybe stop talking about the sites finances, as all we can do is speculate without any hard data on the issue, so I doubt these types of posts will be able to improve the forum in any way, whereas there are a ton of really simple things staff can do to improve the site and it's relationship with users, and I think this is where the immediate focus should be

The reasons it gets brought up is due to this website's own history and founding as well as mods themselves repeatedly reminding users that their thankless job is on a volunteer basis. Hard to ignore the money issue when there's ads on the top and bottom of every page + the persistent subscribe now button for ERA clear all the while being told that talking about money is not a good look. In this, I believe mods should absolutely be asking the same questions.

I actually agree that we are now clogging up the bugs thread with this unrelated conversation, so maybe it is time to move this discussion to it's own thread

I think at this point, this thread is emblematic of this forum as a whole. Users pushed and bullied out of legitimate discussion spaces with alarming frequency while the same staff who are pushing and bullying them plug their ears and ignore the problem.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The reasons it gets brought up is due to this website's own history and founding as well as mods themselves repeatedly reminding users that their thankless job is on a volunteer basis. Hard to ignore the money issue when there's ads on the top and bottom of every page + the persistent subscribe now button for ERA clear all the while being told that talking about money is not a good look. In this, I believe mods should absolutely be asking the same questions.

I think at this point, this thread is emblematic of this forum as a whole. Users pushed and bullied out of legitimate discussion spaces with alarming frequency while the same staff who are pushing and bullying them plug their ears and ignore the problem.

Regarding your point on finances, It's out of mods control. They can't demand to be paid, even though they probably should be paid. It's not something they have any agency over. For all we know, the site barely breaks even. I don't think it's useful to discuss it as it's not an issue that can be resolved just between the staff and users, whereas a more transparent, less resentful and kinder forum absolutely can be as long as both staff and users pull in the same direction

Regarding your second point, while I appreciate it's frustrating, just attacking the staff or the site in general, or detailing where you think they have fallen down is going to be seen as antagonistic and unhelpful. Your not offering constructive criticism and this is why the staff are reluctant to open a feedback thread, because if it's all posts just attacking them or highlighting past mistakes, then a) it sucks for them, and b) it's not useful information. We don't need a thread where we air all our grievances from things that have happened in the past

Disclaimer suggested a ton of positive and simple to implement changes that would overnight make this a better place for staff and users, and that is the kind of discourse we should be looking to push.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The fact is, moderation has been really really bad this past year. Haphazard, sloppy, inconsistent. Off the top of my head: multiple outreach threads, the trans thread, sexual harassment thread, last year's OT upgrade thread all had the same complaints over and over. There's no communication, there's no transparency, you don't listen. Reports and Contact Us messages go unanswered. Any continued discussion is forced to PMs where it can be ignored or else hefty bans are doled out. The few times a mod deigns to stick around to explain, the reasoning is handed off to the diluted responsibility of the opaque "committee decision".

This tags rollout has been an identical play-by-play of the aborted OT changes from last time. I don't understand how this reaction could have been unforeseen.

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to remain positive and frustrating to keep walking on eggshells around here. This past year really has been a noticeable decline in the general enjoyment of the forum and that has a lot to do with the moderation. I've watched multiple entire communities pack up and leave the site. Something as simple as the thread tag rollout leading to multiple bans, multiple locked threads and the GM of the site essentially telling users to shut up about it or be banned. Mods/Admins, unban the banned users, open (and keep open) a feedback thread and listen to and acknowledge the community sentiment.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Escalating hostility and concern trolling over a series of posts; prior bans for hostility and inflammatory rhetoric.
Cerium should be brought out of his cave and forced to share the financials of the site. The fact that he apparently never shared them with the community or even the mod team in the first place is extremely suspect. I have a hard time seeing how the site could be bleeding money given the high traffic and Era Clear sub, but even assuming it does, we should know about it. And if it's making a profit, we should definitely know where the money goes, and the mod/admin team should definitely be compensated.

Echoing sentiments that some people on the team need to step down based on how badly they've been handling things. And yes, let's not be coy about this: I mean B-Dubs. I'm sure some people have other team members in mind, but as far as no-brainers are concerned, B-Dubs, at least, has to go. His replies in the thread have all been terrible, petty and antagonizing, and look at the result.

Also, unban BDS, as a show of good faith. At the very least, make her ban temporary with a clear duration (not a "pending" that might just quietly turn into a perm; "pending durations" are just dumb and often feel like a way to quietly sweep permabans under the rug btw). Regardless of what you thought of her post or her post history, this thread and this discussion aren't exactly the best places to ban people for being angry at the mod team. "Not a good look", as the kids say. I'd honestly say the same of Frump's ban, and would definitely appreciate it if he was unbanned too, but at least his is just a 2-week ban.

[EDIT] Just to be clear: the whole reason why I'm prefacing my call for B-Dubs to go with "let's not be coy about this" is precisely because, as others have rightly pointed out, there are definitely things we, as regular posters, feel we're not allowed to say about the mod/admin team or their decisions without fear of retaliation. So others in the thread have been more vague by not giving any specific names so that they can avoid the ban they feel they might otherwise get, but it's clear we all at least mean B-Dubs here, and I'm tired of beating around the bush. We shouldn't feel like mods and admins are our actual managers and we're just employees who better behave or else. If that gets me banned, so be it, but I'm not retracting that part, and again, that definitely won't be a good look for you.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact is, moderation has been really really bad this past year. Haphazard, sloppy, inconsistent. Off the top of my head: multiple outreach threads, the trans thread, sexual harassment thread, last year's OT upgrade thread all had the same complaints over and over. There's no communication, there's no transparency, you don't listen. Reports and Contact Us messages go unanswered. Any continued discussion is forced to PMs where it can be ignored or else hefty bans are doled out. The few times a mod deigns to stick around to explain, the reasoning is handed off to the diluted responsibility of the opaque "committee decision".

This tags rollout has been an identical play-by-play of the aborted OT changes from last time. I don't understand how this reaction could have been unforeseen.

Yep, this last year has been the worst on Era by far. Despite the lockdown and all the extra time, I'm increasingly finding myself less and less motivated to discuss what I like here, instead moving the talks to other better organized places where drive-by trolling, harassment and such are rare occurrences and are swiftly dealt with. I contacted staff about a variety of issues, most got no answers and the ones that did still had 0 consequences. I reported some off-site behaviour from some on-site members that was rather suspect since the Era name is still involved, no meaningful answer. I reported a lot of posts in some threads in the firm belief they broke rules, but neither bans or answer to the reports happened. If I bring it up on the forum, the thread gets locked.

Communities are moving away from Era and many of them are downright banning Era talk because it's drama and in the past. This isn't ideal when this place was born because of a desire to make victims heard, to have transparent moderation, to have equity, to have respectful conversations. That is no longer the case on Era, and has not been for months, and all I see are mod posts talking about how they have a tough job, how they take decisions together, how they're trying to make a change for the better. I was also told my messages to the staff were all read. That's it. Read. All the good intentions, words and listening ears are worth little when nothing changes, or if it does, it's for worse.

I think the new tags are dope, they could be improved but I like the idea. But this is yet another thing on the forum that just happens, community just has to accept it and move on, dare discussing it and get banned. That's what I expect from some shithole alt-right discussion board where somebody gets banned for claiming Trump's a clown or that Hillary would have been better. Not from a place born out of a necessity and desire to create an accepting, welcoming, transparent place.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Honestly, calling for people to step down and using this opportunity to just highlight where things were maybe not ideal in the past is not likely to help matters

If you want staff to meet you halfway, then you have to start by meeting them halfway, and so any criticism should be constructive and polite, otherwise this will just end up being locked. The staff won't allow you to have a thread where you just attack them, and honestly why should they?

If you want a feedback thread, or for things to get better, then you have to start by pushing for things to get better from now on, and not constantly drag things up from the past

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, calling for people to step down and using this opportunity to just highlight where things were maybe not ideal in the past is not likely to help matters

If you want staff to meet you halfway, then you have to start by meeting them halfway, and so any criticism should be constructive and polite, otherwise this will just end up being locked. The staff won't allow you to have a thread where you just attack them, and honestly why should they?

If you want a feedback thread, or for things to get better, then you have to start by pushing for things to get better from now on, and not constantly drag things up from the past
I have no method of giving feedback besides pissing into the void that is the contact us box that usually results in no feedback. There are members of a discord community born out of Era who, when they want their account deleted on Era, they have to either PM the right admin directly or just make a stink on the board because the contact us is so under utilized. There are no avenues to give feedback that don't feel like I'm legitimately wasting my time with the website and its report function.

Its bad and it needs to be dealt with beyond a talk with one specific minority community every 6 months.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dude. Do you realize that we've literally been saying it's unfair that the team isn't being compensated for their work?

Do you realize that the whole reason why this thread has escalated so much is because of an admin's antagonizing responses?

Do you realize that all of this is the culmination of many fiascos and pent-up frustration about how the site is being handled?

Focus less on tone and more on substance. It's good to hash things out honestly and bluntly sometimes, instead of tiptoeing around issues. It's something the forum could use more of, honestly, but the TOS doesn't allow it, and there seems to be an unwillingness to change anything about it, so we're stuck with fake politeness all the time. Which only makes the frustration even worse.

[EDIT] I mean just look at the thread. People like Disclaimer have been extremely constructive, thorough, polite. They've been doing everything you say we should be doing. And not a single person on the team has so much as mentioned his name in their reply. Even after everyone has been quoting and praising his contributions as the right thing to do. It all falls on deaf ears when we try to be constructive and nice.

Last edited:

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Dude. Do you realize that we've literally been saying it's unfair that the team isn't being compensated for their work?

Do you realize that the whole reason why this thread has escalated so much is because of an admin's antagonizing responses?

Do you realize that all of this is the culmination of many fiascos and pent-up frustrations about how the site is being handled?

Focus less on tone and more on substance. It's good to hash things out honestly and bluntly sometimes, instead of tiptoeing around issues. It's something the forum could use more of, honestly, but the TOS doesn't allow it, and there seems to be an unwillingness to change anything about it, so we're stuck with fake politeness all the time. Which only makes the frustration even worse.

I think people are understandably frustrated, but I also think there is little incentive for those who can make changes, to make those changes if they feel like they're being constantly attacked

The money issue is a non starter, as it involves a 3rd party (the owner) whereas staff and the general users of this site can discuss things and make changes together. We can all demand the owner pays the staff and the owner can simply say "no" or ignore the request and that would be the end of it. Staff can't do anything about that. They could all threaten to step down if they're not paid, and the owner could fire them all and hire new mods. This entire argument is a distraction because even with the best intentions, we have no agency over the matter, and on top of that, paying the staff alone won't suddenly change how moderation works

The immediate goal should be to champion changes that make things easier for staff and users. Being blunt is fine, being frustrated is fine, but there is a difference between making demands and calling for people to step down and pushing for changes that would help everyone get along better now

I don't have any issue with you disagreeing with any of what I have just said, I just don't think making demands and shouting about previous issues people may have had is likely to result in any positive changes.

Edit: Anyway, I've left my feedback now over my last handful of posts, so I'll take a step back from this thread

Last edited: